Thread: Firing an old revolver

Firing an old revolver

Dear all,

Need your expert opinion here!

Today, i discovered, one of my grand father's old revolver, along with its ammo (gevelot 7.65mm). The existence of this weapon was unknown previously, and as both my grand parents are no more alive, i have no sources to find out the history of this weapon.

It has Daudson Armoury, 32 bore, made in Peshawar written on it.

i have cleaned and lubricated it. What I want to know is, how safe is it to fire this weapon? Can firing this gun damage it somehow? Barrel cracking up or something? Can it result in me missing an eye or some fingers? For all i know, this weapon hasnt been fired in around last 20-25 years. All mechanism seems apparently alright, and it dry-fires fine. Works both DA and SA.

What do you guys suggest, should I give it a try? I wont be using the ammo i find with it ofcourse. Will just get some new 7.65mm rounds.

Moreover, what should be done in case of firing failure? Should i wait for few minutes before taking out the round or try again?

AoA bro,

Be sure about the direction of fire, and find some secure place to test your revolver. If the
    barrel and rest of the locking mechanism are fine then there would be no harm in firing it.

For "HANG FIRE" situation, one must wait at least 30 seconds to open the action of any gun
    you have to be sure whether the "MISSFIRE was due to aging of ammo or firing pin strike
    wasn't sufficient to spark-up the primer.

Quote Originally Posted by Karachite View Post
    Dear all,

Need your expert opinion here!

Today, i discovered, one of my grand father's old revolver, along with its ammo (gevelot 7.65mm). The existence of this weapon was unknown previously, and as both my grand parents are no more alive, i have no sources to find out the history of this weapon.

It has Daudson Armoury, 32 bore, made in Peshawar written on it.

i have cleaned and lubricated it. What I want to know is, how safe is it to fire this weapon? Can firing this gun damage it somehow? Barrel cracking up or something? Can it result in me missing an eye or some fingers? For all i know, this weapon hasnt been fired in around last 20-25 years. All mechanism seems apparently alright, and it dry-fires fine. Works both DA and SA.

What do you guys suggest, should I give it a try? I wont be using the ammo i find with it ofcourse. Will just get some new 7.65mm rounds.

Moreover, what should be done in case of firing failure? Should i wait for few minutes before taking out the round or try again?
    Stand in front of Mirror....and take your Selfie as you could recall...how you looked before blast....

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Doudsons make good quality fire arms. I dont know how good their old .32 wheel guns were though.

However, if you are to shoot it just make sure that you shoot either .32 S &W long or .32 S&W short ( if you can find them)
    The S&W short is a very mild round with lower stopping power. Which is why it is something of a rarity here in Pakistan.

When you say .32 to a dealer, the chances are that he would hand you .32 acp; a pistol round that has far more pressure than the conventional .32 SnW long. Such ammo might lead to a kaboom.
    ( I confess, i have used .32 acp in my pewter frame .32 German Arminius , but I would not recommend the practice to anyone, least of all to a local weapon that has not been made for such a higher powered round)
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Blog Entries
    Check timing (alignment of cylinder with barrel) and barrel itself; its safe to shoot if cylinder movement is tight & it aligns on each round with the barrel and barrel is free of obstruction & excessive rust.
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Enthusiast
    Why not post clear pictures.

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktar View Post
    Why not post clear pictures.
    +1...........
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com