PDA

View Full Version : Citadel M1911 Imported to US by Legacy Sports International

StevenCline
17-12-2011, 12:29 AM
So, earlier this year I competed in the Texas Limited Championships, and won the Single Stack Division. The prizes for this division win were a belt-buckle; gold and silver with saphires (small gems and electroplated I am certain, but it looks nice), and a Citadel M1911, imported to the US by Legacy Sports, International. I understand this gun to be of Phillipine manufacture along the lines of Rock Island Armory.

www.legacysports.com

The factory stock pistol came with a extended beaver tail, raised grip safety, ambi-dexterous thumb safety, Novak style sights, and wooden grips. The trigger was breaking rather clean at about 5 lbs, with a little creep. For a free gun I wasn't complaining.

I had won a certificate for a fourth place finish in Single Stack at the Area 4 Championships from XS sights. I placed my order for the XS standard dots with tritium inserts. When they arrived, on they went.

www.xssights.com

I had some VZgrips, Operators II, recently removed from my Kimber, so they went on. Those looked really good.

http://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/1911-pistol-grips-1/operators-ii-2

Finally I added a magwell from Wilson Combat, ordered from Midway USA. I took a Dremel and file to that magwell to make it "just right." It took removing a little material from the underneath side of the grips to match the "hooks" on the magwell, but that was as simple as tracing the outline and working it out with the Dremel tool.

I noted that I wasn't getting a positive engagement of the grip safety, I placed a small strip of aggressive skateboard tape over the bump on the grip safety which semi-permanently holds the grip safety down. It's also made the gun feel a little more secure in the hand.

During some early test firing I found encountered a few rounds which nose-dived into the feed ramp. I took the firearm to my gun smith and told him to do what he needed to ensure the rounds feed reliably. He built up the mag catch a bit to raise the magazine higher in the gun and polished the feedramp. Since then the only faliure to feeds have been with a specific magazine and I don't attribute the error to the gun but rather an issue with that particular magazine.

The gun shoots great. I have no complaints. At 7 yards/21' It will print a single hole if the shooter is up to the task. I've shot 2" groups at 15 yards, resting my arms on my gun bag. The trigger is not that of my Kimber Super Match II or my wife's Kimber Custom II... but you won't pay the same price either. It's been to the range a number of times for practice sessions and fired in one IDPA competition. Until the sights were adjusted, it was shooting left, but now it fires right at point of aim.

The XS sights take some getting used to, but for quick sight acquisition they are just the trick. The tritrium night sights make them a smart bed-stand or carry choice. They line up like the letter, "i" with the front sight being a glowing dot, and the rear sight being a glowing straight line.

For a 1911 that can be had for about $500 US this was a surprisingly well crafted gun. It had a little play with downward pressure on the barrel hood. The factory allignment of the sights on the slide to the barrel was off and required some adjustment. The trigger was the most notable part of the gun- very nice for a low end 1911. My smith who mostly works as a 1911 trigger smith said it could use a little polishing but nothing of the trigger screamed for immediate work or replacement.

If you are looking for a entry level 1911 with very good for the money trigger and features, consider this 1911 from Citadel.

Sami
17-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Hello Dear S.Cline. First of all where have you been? We all missed your valuable and authentic input. I have inquired about your well being and forwarded a request presuming that you may find difficulty in logging on since the new software has taken place. I haven't read the review yet, will comment on it later. Ta.ta

StevenCline
17-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Hello Sami,

Everythings been ok, but I have had a busy year. The match referenced above was five months ago and I've just now found time to post the review on the pistol. Had some real sexy investigations tracking down burglars with GPS pinging of the phones they stole from my company. Lots of training. Busy, busy, busy.

Enjoy the review and the pictures.

Steve

coolbox18
17-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Congratulations on the win, and the gun, Steve! myself am a big fan of those XS dots, but can't seem to get them here. The Citadel 1911 would also most likely not be available here. How would this compare with the Taurus pt1911?

s.cheema
17-12-2011, 01:05 PM
nice pistol

StevenCline
19-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Congratulations on the win, and the gun, Steve! myself am a big fan of those XS dots, but can't seem to get them here. The Citadel 1911 would also most likely not be available here. How would this compare with the Taurus pt1911?

Thank you, sir. I like the XS Sights very well myself.

I've only handled the PT1911 a little and I've only handled and shot a single example of both the Citadel and the PT1911.

Both were a little rough around the edges with the Citadel a bit rougher. I think the trigger was better on the Citadel.

The proper association of the sights to barrel from the factory was better on the PT1911, but the Citadel put together a better group.

Maybe it would be an accurate analogy to say the PT1911 would win the beauty contest, while the Citadel might get the job done better.

Again, a single example of both models is not a proper sample upon which to draw any strong conclusions.

Aquarius
19-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Congrats Steve for the position and nice looking customized Citadel 1911 there.

bbiillaall
22-12-2011, 11:47 AM
congrates steven for the achievement
keep the good work continue
good luck

Avais
22-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Congrats steven for the achievement. Keep it up.