PDA

View Full Version : Francolin - The most favorite game bird of Pakistan

Junaid86
20-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Francolins (Grey and Black) are the most favorite upland game bird of our region, Research conducted on these species is almost non-existent, Lets discuss about them in a research oriented way.. let me start with the basics..

Species (found in Pakistan):

- Grey francolin

Subspecies:

F. pondicerianus mecranensis (Sindhi teetar)
F. pondicerianus interpositus (Dakhni teetar)
F. pondicerianus pondicerianus (Irani teetar)

- Black francolin

Subspecies:

F. f. francolinus
F. f. arabistanicus (Pakistan native)
F. f. henrici (Pakistan native)
F. f. asiae
F. f. bogdanovi
F. f. melanonotus

Lets start the discussion with the difference between subspecies on the basis of their appearance (plz share distinctive photos if any one have) and Breeding behavior (Pair forming in specific)

Avais
20-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Very Interesting and difficult topic. We only know Grey partridges (desi and dakni) and black partridges. However there are diffrent sizes and shapes of these birds. Any information on this topic alongwith photographs, from members would be an addition to knowledge.

Junaid86
20-05-2011, 10:40 AM
@avais: even "Grey Partridge" is a different specie, and it's not native to our region..

Avais
20-05-2011, 10:49 AM
@avais: even "Grey Partridge" is a different specie, and it's not native to our region..
Thanks brother. My biological information on this topic is very poor.

Junaid86
20-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks brother. My biological information on this topic is very poor.

:) That's the core reason for this thread, to compile some sort of database for these species, so that we can all learn about these birds which we enjoy every year..

Junaid86
30-06-2011, 05:21 PM
anybody with some knowledge of this game bird please share ..

Topak
30-06-2011, 10:50 PM
i only know that have a Black Teeter and want to tame it, but still no success.
its a beautiful bird.

Madham
01-07-2011, 12:22 PM
i have a pair of black and dakani each, dakani are tame as anything, can eat offf my hands but blacks are a different story alltogather.

Topak
01-07-2011, 05:01 PM
will any knowledgeable member share their habitat ,what they like to eat what not,can they breed in captivity ?

Tiger Roars
08-07-2011, 06:52 PM
@Topak,...yes brother black Partridge also can breed in captivity, I am witness of successful breeding of black Partridge at your city. But you have to create a atmosphere like 'Bella' in the corner of big cage with a stream line of fresh water.

francolino
08-07-2011, 08:51 PM
i have a pair of black and dakani each, dakani are tame as anything, can eat offf my hands but blacks are a different story alltogather.

Bro Madham, where did you get the dakani ones from...can you guide where I can get a few bhuras and a few dakanis. can they live together in a cage.. larger sized cage?... and can one pair of black partridge also co-exist with them? Thanks and waiting for your input!

Junaid86
09-07-2011, 12:06 AM
@Francolino : What's the major difference between bhura and dakani??, are you referring "bhura" as "Irani" or "Sindhi' ?? please share your knowledge so the thread can grow..

Avais
09-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Bro Madham, where did you get the dakani ones from...can you guide where I can get a few bhuras and a few dakanis. can they live together in a cage.. larger sized cage?... and can one pair of black partridge also co-exist with them? Thanks and waiting for your input!
I am keeping two pairs of Grey (Desi) a pair of Dakni with two chicks all togeather in one large cage of 10x8 ft. Did not find any problem so far. No experience of black but now shall do an experiment to find one pair for their co-existance with their relatives. I think contrary to the humans they will.

Avais
09-07-2011, 11:30 PM
@Francolino : What's the major difference between bhura and dakani??, are you referring "bhura" as "Irani" or "Sindhi' ?? please share your knowledge so the thread can grow..
Brother as far as I knows Bhura is a local partridge Punjabi or Sindhi almost same But dakani also some refers as Irani is a larger in size and lighter in color than to the Bhura. Dakani is easy to make it pet as compare to Bhura.

Junaid86
10-07-2011, 12:53 AM
@avais : So dakhni is not found as a game bird in our fields ?? and do they interbreed?

francolino
10-07-2011, 03:10 AM
I am keeping two pairs of Grey (Desi) a pair of Dakni with two chicks all togeather in one large cage of 10x8 ft. Did not find any problem so far. No experience of black but now shall do an experiment to find one pair for their co-existance with their relatives. I think contrary to the humans they will.

Great..thanks!

francolino
10-07-2011, 03:16 AM
One important question to all 'teetar-ke-shikari' (partridge lovers, like myself :)) ... this is though a slight detour from the caging and breeds topic etc ... has anyone tried a partridge bulara to LOCATE singles or coveys ... I mean bulara as in 'Electronic Call' or handheld mp3 player or mob phone attached to powered portable speakers? Live bulara is heard of but that is a different story and I guess not allowed too. But like in West, or in Europe, Grey Partridge (or Hun as it is called there) is called to locate via its electronic call (real sound samples recorded at high fidelity).

Secondly, do you think using such devices & means to hunt this beautiful species of our region ... if at all they are helpful in the 1st place ... ethical to use in field?

Topak
10-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Dear Francolino ..... Hunters using tape recorder for such purpose here as you know, but its illegal, immoral and against the spirit of game to use. i place the electronic call in the same category as tape recorder.

Avais
11-07-2011, 08:32 PM
@avais : So dakhni is not found as a game bird in our fields ?? and do they interbreed?

I never found them in the fields of Punjab. Maybe some part of Sindh and Baluchistan this type exists. Regarding their interbreed I have no knowledge.

Madham
12-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Francolino brother, my experience with Dhakani and black is dhakani pair both male and female both attack the black pair as soon as they come anywhere near. but i agree with Avais sab that dhakanis can co exist with larger domesticated birds like chicken but black can't as they are of very shy nature.

francolino
12-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Francolino brother, my experience with Dhakani and black is dhakani pair both male and female both attack the black pair as soon as they come anywhere near. but i agree with Avais sab that dhakanis can co exist with larger domesticated birds like chicken but black can't as they are of very shy nature.

Thank you for your reply @Madham.

francolino
12-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Dear Francolino ..... Hunters using tape recorder for such purpose here as you know, but its illegal, immoral and against the spirit of game to use. i place the electronic call in the same category as tape recorder.

Alright bro. Thanks for your input.

Topak
14-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Welcome BRO,

zainulabdeen
15-07-2011, 10:16 AM
nearly two years back, i saw a very interesting method of hunting partridge . we all friends went to hunt them in early hours of the day but after hectic efforts, we could take 3 of them only thus returned unhappy to where we reside. one of our local friends suggested to hunt partridge using a different hunting method which they call as " geroo" locally. my local friends termed that method to be the most effective method for hunting partridges . i never hunted like that or heard that method and was much curious to learn about it . one of our local friends went to bring that much awaited tool of hunting they call as "Geroo" when he returned, he brought a thing that we can call a tool of camouflage for the understanding. there were two bamboos ( baans) of moderate size , given the shape of an " X " by tieing them up at the middle with rope and it was covered with a sheet of cloth of camel colour ( locally called as " geroo colour " ) so it became a shield like structure. there was an other sheet of same colour tied up with the upper parts of that shield or X like structure whish used to cover the hunter from back side. on the front side of that GEROO or X like shield, picture of a lion , with red eyes was made with black paint with a hole at the place of opened mouth , which was at the center of that X like shield to see , aim and shoot the gun. we took that geroo to the shrubs and bushes , . an experienced geroo hunter took me along wth him to hunt a nd we just got hidden in that shield,, slowly we advanced and i was surprised to see the partridges coming out of bushes and shrubs raising alarming sounds to warn each other regarding presence of a horrifying animal / beast in their area. i also saw that it was pretty easy to shoot at them from behind the screen , as the hole to shoot at was at the joint of X and it was easy to put the barrel of gun on that jiont and just to pull the trigger,,,,,,,, that day we hunted 14 partridges just in few hours and i learnt a new method of hunting partridges

Denovo87
15-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Zain bro, very innovative all in one tool (pointer, decoy, call, hide).. would appreciate if you could post detailed pictures of this hide/decoy screen.

zainulabdeen
15-07-2011, 01:31 PM
sure brother , shall upload when got at home

snowleopard
15-07-2011, 04:13 PM
nearly two years back, i saw a very interesting method of hunting partridge . we all friends went to hunt them in early hours of the day but after hectic efforts, we could take 3 of them only thus returned unhappy to where we reside. one of our local friends suggested to hunt partridge using a different hunting method which they call as " geroo" locally. my local friends termed that method to be the most effective method for hunting partridges . i never hunted like that or heard that method and was much curious to learn about it . one of our local friends went to bring that much awaited tool of hunting they call as "Geroo" when he returned, he brought a thing that we can call a tool of camouflage for the understanding. there were two bamboos ( baans) of moderate size , given the shape of an " X " by tieing them up at the middle with rope and it was covered with a sheet of cloth of camel colour ( locally called as " geroo colour " ) so it became a shield like structure. there was an other sheet of same colour tied up with the upper parts of that shield or X like structure whish used to cover the hunter from back side. on the front side of that GEROO or X like shield, picture of a lion , with red eyes was made with black paint with a hole at the place of opened mouth , which was at the center of that X like shield to see , aim and shoot the gun. we took that geroo to the shrubs and bushes , . an experienced geroo hunter took me along wth him to hunt a nd we just got hidden in that shield,, slowly we advanced and i was surprised to see the partridges coming out of bushes and shrubs raising alarming sounds to warn each other regarding presence of a horrifying animal / beast in their area. i also saw that it was pretty easy to shoot at them from behind the screen , as the hole to shoot at was at the joint of X and it was easy to put the barrel of gun on that jiont and just to pull the trigger,,,,,,,, that day we hunted 14 partridges just in few hours and i learnt a new method of hunting partridges
this method is pretty old in many parts of the country, and guess what like many other illegal and easy forms of "massacre" by local hunters this method has taken some species to verge of nearly extinction..... in our particular area resembling to such method has almost finished the chakors.......... if i am not wrong this "geroo" thing is called "bhaoowa" in punjab?...anyways it should be discouraged by the wing shooters... regards

Tiger Roars
15-07-2011, 04:26 PM
@zainulabideen,...brother, yes this 'Geroo' or 'Bhagwa' in Punjabi is illegal according to all wildlife acts and wing-shooters don't like and appreciate it. This method of hunting is under practice of poachers. Avoid and discourage this method of hunting any where in the Pakistan.
For the general knowledge of the members please post the pictures of 'Geroo'.

zainulabdeen
15-07-2011, 05:13 PM
well brother tiger roar & snow leopard , at the time of hunt i was not in punjab . and as i said earlier , this method was new for me and for the first time ( and till now , the last time too ) i saw that method of hunt there only. after that, a i have , for many times , hunted partridges and have shared that method of hunt with my other friends in different parts of sindh, but no other hunter , except that particular area , seems to be familiar with " geroo " hunt. may be my friends got that idea from their friends from punjab. and if it is illegal, it should be discouraged . no doubt in it

Avais
15-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes this is called Bhagwa in Punjab and many pochers caught the alive partridges with this illegal way. Pouchers fix a net and dodge the partridges towards net with the help of Bhagwa, once partridges reaches near the net, pouchers removes the Bhagwa from them. On seeing the humans, partridges tooks the flight and struck and caught in the net. This is illegal everywhere in Pakistan.

Denovo87
15-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Yes this is called Bhagwa in Punjab and many pochers caught the alive partridges with this illegal way. Pouchers fix a net and dodge the partridges towards net with the help of Bhagwa, once partridges reaches near the net, pouchers removes the Bhagwa from them. On seeing the humans, partridges tooks the flight and struck and caught in the net. This is illegal everywhere in Pakistan.

Does that mean netting with BHAGWA is illegal or use of Bhagwa technique to bring the birds out to shoot with shotgun is illegal too?

Tiger Roars
15-07-2011, 09:44 PM
@Denovo87, Sir 'Bhagwa' is illegal itself, also other than 'Bhagwa' all techniques and methods which can trap to alive bird are illegal by all means, Only shooting is legal as per Wildlife Laws. 'Bhagwa', 'Bolara' and netting are commonly illegal at all provinces of Pakistan including Azad Kasmir.

Denovo87
15-07-2011, 09:51 PM
@Denovo87, Sir 'Bhagwa' is illegal itself, also other than 'Bhagwa' all techniques and methods which can trap to alive bird are illegal by all means, Only shooting is legal as per Wildlife Laws. 'Bhagwa', 'Bolara' and netting are commonly illegal at all provinces of Pakistan including Azad Kasmir.

Thanks, understood. It clearly means using a dog to point and scare the partridge to bring it in the line of fire is legal but doing it with an animal's sketch is illegal ;)

snowleopard
15-07-2011, 09:55 PM

couple of years back i was accompanying my late elder brother on a partridge hunt in chakwal area, while the hunt one of our guide told us quite proudly that they are catching partridges with this"bhagwa" technique in great numbers and its very successful....believe me i did'nt enjoyed any moment of hunt after his statement...... i tried my level best to convince him that this technique will end let him cry for the partridges one day....dont know whats the situation in that area these days...but i hope he understood my point...

Avais
15-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Does that mean netting with BHAGWA is illegal or use of Bhagwa technique to bring the birds out to shoot with shotgun is illegal too?
Yes if we strictly talk about law any tool deceiving the wildlife is illegal including decoys.

zainulabdeen
15-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks, understood. It clearly means using a dog to point and scare the partridge to bring it in the line of fire is legal but doing it with an animal's sketch is illegal ;)

ha ha ha ha + 1 brother denovo . . i havent seen " bhagwa" but do both " geroo " and " bhagwa " are two different names of same thing ?.... i think mian ( ch) or mian 40 are the seasoned hunters too , they should should join us here too . and brother snow leopard and awais r requested to plz tell the " built" & shape of "bhagwa " in detail

Avais
15-07-2011, 10:34 PM
ha ha ha ha + 1 brother denovo . . i havent seen " bhagwa" but do both " geroo " and " bhagwa " are two different names of same thing ?.... i think mian ( ch) or mian 40 are the seasoned hunters too , they should should join us here too . and brother snow leopard and awais r requested to plz tell the " built" & shape of "bhagwa " in detail
Its a Khaki color piece of cloth almost 4x4 ft with two holes to see out the field, fixed on two X shape sticks. Pouchers grips the centre of X and covers their face and body behind this. They walk slowly towards partridges and decieve them towrds net or in other case gets the closet range to shot a fire normaly single handed.

snowleopard
15-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Its a Khaki color piece of cloth almost 4x4 ft with two holes to see out the field, fixed on two X shape sticks. Pouchers grips the centre of X and covers their face and body behind this. They walk slowly towards partridges and decieve them towrds net or in other case gets the closet range to shot a fire normaly single handed.
frankly speaking i never saw a bhagwa my self but heard of it.....avais brother described as perfectly as i heard of it... in our area locals use to apply the same technique for "chakors" and in this case the whole body is not covered only the face..... it is called "dajji".. its a fox faced mask which hunter puts on and then after reaching near the covey of chakors in mountain , the hunter reveals his face with "dajji" from behind any rock.. the poor chakors think its a fox they gather together and start making distress/danger calls the hunter takes an easy shot at gathered chakors and in most cases the score is always more than one and some times heard of6/7...
chakors in our area vanished due to many other factors but one of them is "dajji" hunting..

Denovo87
15-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Yes if we strictly talk about law any tool deceiving the wildlife is illegal including decoys.

Thanks Avais bro, that exactly what I thought should be a logical reason calling Bhagwa an illegal act.

superustaji
28-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Brothers BHAGWA and all other mass trapping methods used for wild birds and animals are an illegal act.
I feel obligated to earnestly request all members, to veil all harmful knowledge that can contribute towards extinction of this gift of nature to us all.
Regards.

Mig
27-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Late to share my Experience with Bhagwa or geroo or Now I am disclosing one another name. "GWARCH". ( in Balochi language)

I have tried this illegal thing :P, when i was a new shooter to Partridge at the age of 9-10. I was not able to shoot the partridges in the proper way so my dad said you should get a GWARCH and hunt in a close range or monitor how the partridges move so you can see how to hunt them. I mostly used to monitor there movement and enjoy rather then hunting them. I saw the GWARCH making in front of me. Its very Simple. Take a Good piece of cloth which you think you can hide your front from it. Take Skins of the Wild Bushes, ( Chegird or Chish in balochi). The skins of this Wild bushes give a AKHROAT type color when u put them in water. Put the Cloth and these Bush Skins together to Color the Cloth. Believe me, the Output is a perfect Camouflage for upland. make a hole for your Eyes and another for your Gun and Aiming.

I dont enjoy the hunting with this GWARCH, but the most enjoying part is, Go without a Gun and Just watch the partridges in there Mood :)

Mig
27-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I never found them in the fields of Punjab. Maybe some part of Sindh and Baluchistan this type exists. Regarding their interbreed I have no knowledge.

If this is the Dakhni teetar Yes, I have hunted this in both Sindh and Balochistan.

Mig
27-11-2011, 07:23 PM
as This Thread Started to start a Research on TEETARS rather then the TRAP ( geero, Bhagwa, Gwarch etc ). The Pictures of all the types of Francolin should be shared.

Apalo
27-11-2011, 08:33 PM
nice information friends but as MIG said we should have the pics with the name and their characteristics.

Masroor
28-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Late to share my Experience with Bhagwa or geroo or Now I am disclosing one another name. "GWARCH". ( in Balochi language)

I have tried this illegal thing :P, when i was a new shooter to Partridge at the age of 9-10. I was not able to shoot the partridges in the proper way so my dad said you should get a GWARCH and hunt in a close range or monitor how the partridges move so you can see how to hunt them. I mostly used to monitor there movement and enjoy rather then hunting them. I saw the GWARCH making in front of me. Its very Simple. Take a Good piece of cloth which you think you can hide your front from it. Take Skins of the Wild Bushes, ( Chegird or Chish in balochi). The skins of this Wild bushes give a AKHROAT type color when u put them in water. Put the Cloth and these Bush Skins together to Color the Cloth. Believe me, the Output is a perfect Camouflage for upland. make a hole for your Eyes and another for your Gun and Aiming.

I dont enjoy the hunting with this GWARCH, but the most enjoying part is, Go without a Gun and Just watch the partridges in there Mood :)

Thanks Brother For sharing nice information.

SalmanHusain
07-04-2012, 05:08 PM
https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/554155_10150760886877700_590347699_146870652_18607 53764_a.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/539943_10150760887687700_590347699_146870656_14563 98704_n.jpg

Got these today, form a friend as hes having his exams and me being an animal freak so he decided to hand over em these 4 chicks.
can any one tell are these black-francolin and what to feed them and how to properly raise them????

Ameer
07-04-2012, 10:45 PM
These are black one

SalmanHusain
07-04-2012, 11:52 PM
These are black one
then i have hit the jackpot :D what should i feed them??? i tried moung pulse wetin water and softened but they didn't eat it, they are having bajra currently......

Afzaal
08-04-2012, 08:30 AM
they don't seem to be black ones can you post some close up with good view

SalmanHusain
08-04-2012, 04:10 PM
they don't seem to be black ones can you post some close up with good view

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/558666_10150762810077700_590347699_146879492_67220 6620_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/531075_10150762810727700_590347699_146879496_12599 60781_n.jpg

Ameer
08-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I agree with Afzaal bro, these are NOT black. These are grey.

Avais
08-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Whatever these are, please do not use such a big pot for water. If they dip their nose repeatedly in the water, they will not survive. Use some small and flat plate for their water.

Afzaal
09-04-2012, 08:19 AM
here is Black one in my hand.
even i am in doubt you got the farmy quails .
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m263/Afzaalkhan/My Pets/10062011042.jpg

Mig
09-04-2012, 07:08 PM
I heard from some people that Grey Francolins can survive without drinking much water.. And if you have one then just wet the soil in the cage and it will survive from the moisture of it only and it will call its beautiful sound more. I think its cruel and maybe its thirsty thats why it call more .. Anyone heard or experienced similar thing ?

SalmanHusain
11-04-2012, 03:49 PM
I agree with Afzaal bro, these are NOT black. These are grey.

ummm!! what ever they are i have to raise it till 2 months and return it back.
the person woh bought it was so happy at the price he got so i said to him, if its sounds too good to be true then it isnt :P

SalmanHusain
11-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Whatever these are, please do not use such a big pot for water. If they dip their nose repeatedly in the water, they will not survive. Use some small and flat plate for their water.
im a newbies in this, thanks for the advice, some one else also told me this and to only give water once in two days.

SalmanHusain
11-04-2012, 03:52 PM
here is Black one in my hand.
even i am in doubt you got the farmy quails .

you mean these are not teetar but btair?? arent btair smaller as compared to teetar??

SalmanHusain
11-04-2012, 03:53 PM
I heard from some people that Grey Francolins can survive without drinking much water.. And if you have one then just wet the soil in the cage and it will survive from the moisture of it only and it will call its beautiful sound more. I think its cruel and maybe its thirsty thats why it call more .. Anyone heard or experienced similar thing ?

dont worry these are bird of desert and can easily survive without any water, get their hydration from moisture in insects and plants :D

Mig
11-04-2012, 09:43 PM
dont worry these are bird of desert and can easily survive without any water, get their hydration from moisture in insects and plants :D

good to know that what I heard is actually true. I am thinking to get one, a grown up Teetar for sure because the tiny ones need more care. I guess I can get from Impress Market of whatever size and quantity

SalmanHusain
11-04-2012, 11:16 PM
good to know that what I heard is actually true. I am thinking to get one, a grown up Teetar for sure because the tiny ones need more care. I guess I can get from Impress Market of whatever size and quantity
getting a grown up is the best option and empress is full of it you can get one b/w 2100-2500 and some champions for 3-4lakhs even eheheh :P

Mig
11-04-2012, 11:29 PM
getting a grown up is the best option and empress is full of it you can get one b/w 2100-2500 and some champions for 3-4lakhs even eheheh :P

hah, Thanks for the Price input. I dont need the champions for sure,, just a hobby getting and thinking. Still not decided but I am pretty near of decision.

SalmanHusain
11-04-2012, 11:43 PM
hah, Thanks for the Price input. I dont need the champions for sure,, just a hobby getting and thinking. Still not decided but I am pretty near of decision.

haha!! do you know champions in morning of competition might be umm max 2500 but when they win all Pakistan competition they get approx 3-4Lakhs, and its the amount of hard work you put in your francolin to reach that point :D

Anaglyphical
20-10-2012, 02:19 PM
This particular way of hunting partridges atleast was used in sindh also sometime back, but in present time I haven't seen it being used anywhere in Sindh. However at very few places tamed partridge is used to hunt other partridges as others come to fight, the shortcoming or an advantage one may call of this method is only "Males" are attracted to call of the tamed partridge for a fight and get killed.

Sir jee
20-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Re: Francolin Sindhi Breed

I will try my best to deliver my little experience to you about this bird. Please correct me if some one have better knowledge than me.
In Pakistan there are two main breeds of black francolin available, they are as follows.
1. Sindhi breed.
2. Desi breed.
Sindhi Breed Qualities and Appearance.
Sindhi breed belongs to Sind Province thats why we called him sindhi breed.
1. Its appearance is full black chest with out any single white dot.
2. Big Size head.
3. Small or may be long ears.
4. Aggression will be easily visible on his face.
Example http://www.savetubevideo.com/?v=OMSJz...eature%3Drelated (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.savetubevideo.com%2F%3Fv% 3DOMSJz...eature%253Drelated&h=5AQHTR9c1AQHEh6H3L5pgZkt8OnK-GxdZjseMfe_IaaBvnA)
5. Whitish legs.
6. Small black dots on feet fingers, (some birds have some dont)
7. Short and speedy voice, ( 6 to 10 time in a minute or may be more).
8. Preferably good for competition.
Some sub Categories of sindhi breed.
Khasar (The bird who is sindhi by breed butt he has no keels (Khasar) we call him khasar.
Chinka ( The bird who has smaller height butt screaming voice)
Ghagar ( The bird who has good height and built) Sindhi Ghagar http://www.savetubevideo.com/?v=yHkL3...eature%3Drelated (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.savetubevideo.com%2F%3Fv% 3DyHkL3...eature%253Drelated&h=FAQEERjqqAQHd4ROcnsle0nabLX16ODfUfrEI-aKO4DhEjw)
Chotla ( The bird who keep his head feathers(Back Side ) in standing position)
Sheedi ( The bird who is more blackish than normal ( Black Ears, and Back ) Sheedi Example below. http://www.savetubevideo.com/?v=yEwA1...eature%3Drelated (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.savetubevideo.com%2F%3Fv% 3DyEwA1...eature%253Drelated&h=qAQFDsgywAQG9vXXCR03DhewE3_j0mYPW92aayBqLgIUHWA)
Desi Breed Qualities and Appearance
The birds who belongs to other than sind we call them Desi breed.
Example
http://www.savetubevideo.com/?v=HiAYgEpgJF8 (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.savetubevideo.com%2F%3Fv% 3DHiAYgEpgJF8&h=CAQGmkGBBAQFxkROgNFLudSl6e74tq4QMzkc-Bzgw9k0Pjg)
Good Height and built.
1. Whitish legs without black spots.
2. Very little portion of chest will be clear rest will be covered with white dots.
3. Long Voice ( 4 To 7 per minute)
4. Mostly long ears butt some have short too.
5. Aggression is also their quality butt not every one.
Desi Ghagar example
http://www.savetubevideo.com/?v=SQAvQ...eature%3Drelated (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.savetubevideo.com%2F%3Fv% 3DSQAvQ...eature%253Drelated&h=7AQFAClfXAQHGnTSYA1nBIPBpZn-G2RRo8buT6P-D3DtutQ)
Desi Ghagar Chotla ( Red Chested , Sherazi ) Example
http://www.savetubevideo.com/?v=_qFl6LtUMHk (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.savetubevideo.com%2F%3Fv% 3D_qFl6LtUMHk&h=AAQESXpaOAQH1fLpCTS9MzmJWUOQTyYqbIx6qvI0EbulBAg)

shahid khan rarasham
20-10-2012, 08:07 PM
The method of bhagwa and using a tamed teetar for hunting are all illegal and these methods lead to the extinction of birds. i used both methods in my early hunting days but left them because i think this is not hunting but it is killing . More over i have a teetar (desi ) one. i got it as a very small chick , cared and tamed it , very loyal bird i have ever experienced.... if any one want to know what to feed them then, here it is. in villages u can find deemak , their favourite food when chicks, no need to feed them on any thing else in first two weeks because this food also gives them plenty of water as well. now after 15 days or more chicks become able to eat grasshoppers and bajra as well.
in cities if it is difficult to find deemak then , one can feed them on bajra , grinding bajra into fine small pieces so that small chicks can take them , also put some drops of water on bajra as well to fulfill their water requirement . Believe me it is not easy to care small teetar chicks u will have to effort more in 1st two weeks and after this chicks become more resistant. Another thing is small chicks also need heat and temperature and this is the most important thing. Dakhni teetar lays eggs in home but desi teetar never does so. so if one gets desi teetar chicks and owns a dakhni big teetar female so he should use dakhni teetar to care for chicks.
Black partridge chicks have same food and care methods but they need more care and taming effort than desi teetar. i have tamed a pair of them as well.
Chakor chicks again same food , same care methods. One more thing that i have seen many people hunt local birds to such extent that now these are in danger and becoming extinct . in my area following practices are going on which are very very bad. A real hunter will never do so. People use 1)Bhagwa and tamed teetar/Chakor to hunt, a real hunter will never do so.
2) people use nets and catch birds alive , again a very bad practice.
3) breeding season of local birds is from April to October in our area. teetar lays eggs twice or thrice in a year( 9 each time). bad practice is that , these poor birds are not in comfort in breeding season as well. their eggs or chicks are taken and sold , i have seen one person this year in july brought 18 chicks in one day selling them in bazar. more over people start hunting birds from october again a step to destroy them because i have seen eggs of teetar in jungle in october month which is a proof that this is still breeding month.
now taking chicks of birds in breeding season and hunting them with Bhagwa and calls in hunting season is a two way destruction of them.
this all i told because this is not going in my region , i think every region having such precious species has such bad peoples. i try to discourage each such bad practice in my area. we all should play a role to protect our nature and such beautiful local birds. otherwise that day is not far that we will cry for these birds. May allah bless all people with thoughts to protect these birds.
here is link where i shared videos of my teetar. u can see ,...... and some pics of my teetar and of deemak and its place are under for understanding,...
http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.php?8803-My-grey-Francolin%28teetar%29-calling-and-following-me

Avais
21-10-2012, 12:41 PM
@Sir jee and Shahid Khan brothers, Great input about partridges. Thank for sharing.

shahid khan rarasham
21-10-2012, 01:00 PM
@sir jee brother the links u provided are not working.

Sir jee
21-10-2012, 04:41 PM
@sir jee brother the links u provided are not working.

Dear sorry..............but youtube is banned...........

Masroor
11-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Francolins (Grey and Black) are the most favorite upland game bird of our region, Research conducted on these species is almost non-existent, Lets discuss about them in a research oriented way.. let me start with the basics..

Species (found in Pakistan):

- Grey francolin

Subspecies:

F. pondicerianus mecranensis (Sindhi teetar)
F. pondicerianus interpositus (Dakhni teetar)
F. pondicerianus pondicerianus (Irani teetar)

- Black francolin

Subspecies:

F. f. francolinus
F. f. arabistanicus (Pakistan native)
F. f. henrici (Pakistan native)
F. f. asiae
F. f. bogdanovi
F. f. melanonotus

Lets start the discussion with the difference between subspecies on the basis of their appearance (plz share distinctive photos if any one have) and Breeding behavior (Pair forming in specific)

Nice info dear.

Masroor
11-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Very nice info dear.

AKA777
20-02-2013, 11:27 AM
is it good to feed the boiled egg yolk?

Omer571
06-03-2013, 06:55 AM
Invaluable info, Sir Jee and Shahid Khan Sahiban.

Before reading this thread, I didn't even know that these Bhagwa type methods existed. And guess, the first time I accompanied my Dad on a Teetar hunt was 32 yrs ago.

Thanks for sharing. One keeps learning everyday.

nargwaasi
10-10-2014, 12:31 AM
Is this Black franco chick?

kw1997
19-12-2014, 09:10 PM
I have seen people breeding black francolin (kala teetar) in Europe and USA , so why cant we do it in their native land. All it needs is quiet surrounding and cover. N need for a stream . read forum on the folowing

//www.gbwf.org