PDA

View Full Version : Kimber 1911s

romerate
21-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Salaam everyone,

First off I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Mirza and I'm new to PAKGUNS and was pleasantly surprised and impressed when I accidentally stumbled upon the website. Congratulations Abbas, MashAllah, you're doing a great job!

Lets get down to business shall we?
I consider myself a great lover of pistols and pride myself on knowing a lot about them. It's commonly known that the mother of all pistols is the great 1911 model , the design itself is over a 100 years old but time hasn't stopped its popularity. It's considered one of the most accurate pistols ever made and has proven to be popular with pro target shooters and law enforcement, including SWAT.

Now, I seem to research a lot before buying a firearm and trust me when I say that I have been obsessing over 1911s for a while, throughout my research I came across a manufacturer called KIMBER America, it came up to the ranks of ParaOrdnance, Colt, Smiths and Springfield, KIMBER even surpasses them from what I've read online.

Coming to my point, we live in a country where standard pistols like glocks and berettas are triple they're worth here than what they are in the US, most of the people I bump into don't have a clue about 1911s and think that a glock 19 is the hight of a firearm, so finding a KIMBER 1911 (which start from around $1000) would be almost impossible to find let alone buy.

I recently came across a TAURUS 1911 .45 acp, which was going around 100,000 Rs (not bad to be honest) but I really don't want to buy it just to sustain my crave for a good 1911, my purpose of joining PAKGUNS was to see if there were any more 1911 lover's out there and if so, where I could get a hold of some good 1911 pistols apart from a TAURUS.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/wallpaper/pistols/800x600/royal_II.jpg

http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/wallpaper/pistols/800x600/eclipse_target_II_2.jpg

romerate
21-07-2010, 03:21 AM
Aren't they beautiful?

Vik
21-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Aren't they beautiful?

No doubt.

SAJJAD ALI
21-07-2010, 03:39 AM
i think steven can better answer you .

Sparticas
21-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Welcome to the forum dear romerate, you have entered the right place for your desires and we hope that you ll av some very quality contributions in this regard.

Salahuddin Ayubi
21-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Welcome to PakGuns Romerate.

You'll find several 1911 fans out here. Take some time to go through our Handgun's section and you'll find alot of related info.

Silent killerr
21-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Aren't they beautiful?
Any doubt?

Usama
21-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Mirza Sahab

Welcome On Board . Kimber, like many other 1911 manufactures does make fantabulous pistols but since
there are very few kimbers available in karachi they cost too much , Taurus has come up with excellent 1911
finishing and performance some of our members own's it and are quite satisfied with it.

Regards,

maverick880
21-07-2010, 12:10 PM
welcome to the family of forum, romerate bro
no doubt the pics of weapon u posted are real beauty

Mani
21-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Welcome to PG Romerate.

Exhibitionshooterhamza
21-07-2010, 02:03 PM
seriously my friend
i feel so happy to know there are more 1911 lovers out there is pakistan too.
cous everyone these days just talks about glock glock glock
personally i dont like glock one bit
i am a 92fs lover and own one too.
my next fav gun ever is 1911, and your right. highly accurate and used by many prof marksmen
and i have been in searce of 1911 of a good make like kimber for a long long time.
all i found was either very old colt is bad conditions
taurus or norinco
i wish u luck and when u do find it
you will let us know.
take care
oh and welcome to pakguns. =)

AK47
21-07-2010, 02:09 PM
@romerate..........Welcome to the forum bro, wish you a nice stay here with some of the best gun professionals/collectors around the country, and yes, heck you bet there are plenty of 1911 lovers around here, yet except for a few esteemed members with the Remington Rand series in .45, mostly we're limited to the Taurus 1911, and trust me, it's one fine clone of class, just ask Abbas bro, our Chief, he fully endorses it. :)

As for the Kimber, well, for sure it's the most accurately/precisely machined 1911 type you could aspire for, yet over here it remains a virtual dream only, sadly! :P :(

Perhaps a bit of "torture", yet whilst we are at it, a pic of the Kimber 1911 Compact from my docs:

http://s3.postimage.org/MQGhr.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqMQGhr)

StevenCline
21-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Salaam everyone,

First off I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Mirza and I'm new to PAKGUNS and was pleasantly surprised and impressed when I accidentally stumbled upon the website. Congratulations Abbas, MashAllah, you're doing a great job!

Lets get down to business shall we?
I consider myself a great lover of pistols and pride myself on knowing a lot about them. It's commonly known that the mother of all pistols is the great 1911 model , the design itself is over a 100 years old but time hasn't stopped its popularity. It's considered one of the most accurate pistols ever made and has proven to be popular with pro target shooters and law enforcement, including SWAT.

Now, I seem to research a lot before buying a firearm and trust me when I say that I have been obsessing over 1911s for a while, throughout my research I came across a manufacturer called KIMBER America, it came up to the ranks of ParaOrdnance, Colt, Smiths and Springfield, KIMBER even surpasses them from what I've read online.

Coming to my point, we live in a country where standard pistols like glocks and berettas are triple they're worth here than what they are in the US, most of the people I bump into don't have a clue about 1911s and think that a glock 19 is the hight of a firearm, so finding a KIMBER 1911 (which start from around $1000) would be almost impossible to find let alone buy.

I recently came across a TAURUS 1911 .45 acp, which was going around 100,000 Rs (not bad to be honest) but I really don't want to buy it just to sustain my crave for a good 1911, my purpose of joining PAKGUNS was to see if there were any more 1911 lover's out there and if so, where I could get a hold of some good 1911 pistols apart from a TAURUS.

Welcome to PakGuns, Miza/romerate!

I own two Kimber 1911 pistols. One is the base line 1911 (a Custom II), the other is their top of the line 1911 (the Supermtach II). I greatly enjoy them. Kimber makes a great product. Springfield also makes a great product. I almost bought a Springfield TGO. I have no doubt that had I bought a TGO I'd be writing about how wonderful it is.

There are other 1911s which sometimes get overlooked. First is STI, and also Smith & Wesson. The Smith and Wesson SW1911 is getting good reviews. STI makes a better 1911 than Colt, Para, Kimber, Springfield or S&W.

S&W, Colt, Para, Springfield, Kimber all are mass manufacturers. They produce a lot of guns of each model. As such they are not fully customized. Each gets only a certain amount of detailed attention from a gun smith. STI spends a little more attention per gun. Many STI guns cost as much as my Kimber Supermatch II. The Supermatch gets the most attention at Kimber from a gun smith and costs about $1800 - $2000, US. Many STI's are $1500 and up over $2000, US.

Then there are almost fully customized guns like Les Baer, Wilson Combat. These get a lot of attention from a smith and the cost reflects it. Most of them cost well over $2000, and some are over $3000, US.

The Taurus available to you is not gun crafted like these models. But, a local gun smith and do much to make the PT1911 a much better gun. Simply polishing certain parts of the trigger mechanism would do wonders for your ability to shoot the gun accurately. Hardcroming the slide and polishing the slid and frame fit helps too. I am not a gun smith so I do not wish to suggest too much with too much accuracy because I am only repeating what I have heard from others.

If the Pt1911 is all you can get your hands on, get it and enjoy it.

Best regards,

Steve :cool:

Starfish
21-07-2010, 06:46 PM
This thread was begging for a post from Steve :) And I was waiting anxiously for the usual detailed and well explained post.
I own a PT1911 and due to the lack of experience with another one, I can not say how it holds against other 1911s in the same price bracket. From what I have heard, PT1911 offers the best quality in 1911 in the 700 800 $ price range. I would request for a comparison between a pt1911 and another one in roughly the same price bracket Mr. Steve. If you would kindly oblige.

Aquarius
21-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Whether STI, Kimber, Les baer, Springfield, Wilson combat, Para Ordinance or Colt, these are dream handguns in our country.. we can satisfy our lust for 1911 by PT1911 which is not comparable with all the above mentioned guns, but atleast its the best gun for its price range.... :)

mhrehman
21-07-2010, 11:30 PM
+1 Starfish bro, and Steve thanks for the input, my Favourite (After HK USPs) is the 1911 design, its a time tested and proven design and love it. But as many members said, its only available in Pt1911 which is also good.

Romerate bro welcome, and if you are in so much in love with the 1911's, I suggest you try to import either a Kimber or a Wlison directly from the states, its difficult but not impossible, goodluck bro. ;)

romerate
22-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Thank you all for the very warm welcome to PG. I would have never have thought that this topic would be an interest to a lot of people, I guess I was wrong.

after going through your posts its clear that the taurus PT1911 is the only good 1911 I'm going to find in this country. so why not go for it? any owner's experience any difficulties or problems with that particular model? or has anyone got a price that could beat 100,000 Rs?

by the way, can anyone fill me in on the procedures to import a firearm from the states? I'm sure we're talking about a lot of bricks (Rs) here! though a good 1911 is something I'd cut my right arm off for! I even considered selling my CZ 75B (which is in a champagne gold dual tone finish) just to buy a good 1911 if I ever stumbled onto one. the taurus I had a look at had this great after market nighthawk grip which made it fit perfectly onto my hands...

below is the model that is available to me, great gun for the price...what do you guys think?

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=68&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=19

romerate
22-07-2010, 02:20 AM
I forgot to mention that i also came across a very chunky looking NORINCO 1911 model.

There was nothing 1911ish about it, there was no attention to detail, no sense of finishing, no "wow" factor and to add to all that, it was double stacked, which completely kills the beauty of the slick 1911.

StevenCline
22-07-2010, 09:45 AM
This thread was begging for a post from Steve :) And I was waiting anxiously for the usual detailed and well explained post.
I own a PT1911 and due to the lack of experience with another one, I can not say how it holds against other 1911s in the same price bracket. From what I have heard, PT1911 offers the best quality in 1911 in the 700 800 $ price range. I would request for a comparison between a pt1911 and another one in roughly the same price bracket Mr. Steve. If you would kindly oblige.

Here in the US, the PT1911 can be purchased for much less than $700 - $800. In the $700 - $800 range it would be in competition with guns like the Kimber Custom II, Kimber TLE II, and STI Spartan, plus a host of others. The S&W1911 would fall in the price range and the one I handled had a better slide to frame fit and the metal to metal glide on the SW1911 was smoother.

Sorry. I don't think the PT1911 rates with some of the other guns in the $700 - $800 US range. The Kimber Custom II or TLE II, and STI Spartan would spank it like a misbehaving child.

I shot a PT1911 and was... well, I don't know exactly what I would call how I felt. I was not unhappy. I guess I was thinking, "yep, another 1911." It was not as good as my Custom II. But, they are different category of guns. One does not expect a $600 gun to be as good as a $800 gun. There is a reason you pay the extra $200.

HOWEVER, at $600 price range the PT1911 is a contender. They go BANG when they are supposed to, don't go BANG when they are not supposed to. I think a little polishing of the trigger is most needed. Not so much lightening, just polishing.

I will be visiting a gun-show this weekend. When I do I will handle a bunch of $600 1911s and come back with better observations.

StevenCline
22-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Thank you all for the very warm welcome to PG. I would have never have thought that this topic would be an interest to a lot of people, I guess I was wrong.

after going through your posts its clear that the taurus PT1911 is the only good 1911 I'm going to find in this country. so why not go for it? any owner's experience any difficulties or problems with that particular model? or has anyone got a price that could beat 100,000 Rs?

by the way, can anyone fill me in on the procedures to import a firearm from the states? I'm sure we're talking about a lot of bricks (Rs) here! though a good 1911 is something I'd cut my right arm off for! I even considered selling my CZ 75B (which is in a champagne gold dual tone finish) just to buy a good 1911 if I ever stumbled onto one. the taurus I had a look at had this great after market nighthawk grip which made it fit perfectly onto my hands...

below is the model that is available to me, great gun for the price...what do you guys think?

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=68&category=Pistol&toggle=tp&breadcrumbseries=19

I love a 1911. But I wouldn't do something possible rash like sell a CZ 75B. That is such a well made and dependable gun.

The nighthawk grips are nice, look also at VZ grips.

Adeel Ahmad
22-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Well Mirza Sahib, welcome to the Forum. You are right about Kimber and also have posted some beautiful pictures. The only porblem is that, its not available as widely as Taurus is. I am also a 1911 fan and i would love to own a Colt 1911 XSE but that does not seem to be possible right now. I bought Taurus 1911 with Rails instead and after shooting a Colt 1911 A1 and Taurus, i can easily say that Taurus wins hands down. Reason being, Colt one was very old piece. Its very difficult for us to do a comparision with other brands due to non availability of products. Your price of 100K for Taurus is a bit steep. I bought mine for 75K thanks to Moeen Bhai and then had to pull lots of strings to get 3 different sets of Grips for it from America. Currently i am waiting for Ed from Wicked Grips to make my Dragon Grip that i ordered. As you can see from the pictures below, Grip on a 1911 totally changes its appearance. My suggestion to you would be to go for the Taurus 1911 currently and then go for another brand later on with availability.
On a side note though, on my last shopping spree to Lahore, i talked to Ahsan about import of Colt 1911 and he said that he would import them only if there were 5 people to buy them at the spot. So if you are game enough, i take responsibility of 2 Pieces :)
Enjoy the pictures.

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af85/AdeelAhmad/23122009079.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af85/AdeelAhmad/23122009080.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af85/AdeelAhmad/23122009084.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af85/AdeelAhmad/23122009085.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af85/AdeelAhmad/23122009087.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af85/AdeelAhmad/23122009088.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af85/AdeelAhmad/24122009089.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af85/AdeelAhmad/24122009090.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af85/AdeelAhmad/24122009092.jpg

Amjad Ali
22-07-2010, 05:38 PM
wellcome to pak guns romerate

Amjad Ali
22-07-2010, 05:40 PM
very dashing pictures & nice shairing sir adeel ahmad

Dr Zakir
22-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Great gun and grips adeel

every thing is available . I have heard few kimbers are available in Karachi . But price should be 400 k plus

paraordanance are available

romerate
23-07-2010, 02:07 AM
@ StevenCline:
"the kimber custom II or TLE II and spartan would spank it like a misbehaving child" hahahahhahahaha, nice one!
I'd love to get more input from you after you visit that gun show you were talking about, and I wouldn't ever sell my CZ, I was just trying to emphasise my desperation, its funny what a piece of metal that goes "bang" can do to a man?!

@ AdeelAhmed:
MashAllah! that's a nice looking gun bruv! I'm assuming its the same one I came across in KHI, does it come with black standard grips? talk about rubbing salt in my wounds!
75,000?! how long ago was this?! I would appreciate it if you could help me out with purchasing a 1911 around the same price range, every dime saved would go to buying it's unbelievably expensive ammo! how much are .45 acp rounds going for these days? 120 a pop?
As for your proposition, I'd be more interested in a KIMBER, Para or a Springfield rather than a colt 1911, I gets its just preference and nothing else.
are you based in KHI?

Starfish
23-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Per piece .45 Asking prices:

FMJ Armscor (230 grains) - PKR 60
Privi JHP (185 grains) - PKR 75 ~ 80
Sellier and Bellot FMJ (230 grains) - PKR 80 ~ 90

Adeel Ahmad
23-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Great gun and grips adeel
Sir a comment like this coming form a person who owns Mark 23 just for fun, makes all the hassle worthwhile :D

Adeel Ahmad
23-07-2010, 07:41 PM
@ AdeelAhmed:
MashAllah! that's a nice looking gun bruv! I'm assuming its the same one I came across in KHI, does it come with black standard grips? talk about rubbing salt in my wounds!
75,000?! how long ago was this?! I would appreciate it if you could help me out with purchasing a 1911 around the same price range, every dime saved would go to buying it's unbelievably expensive ammo! how much are .45 acp rounds going for these days? 120 a pop?
As for your proposition, I'd be more interested in a KIMBER, Para or a Springfield rather than a colt 1911, I gets its just preference and nothing else.
are you based in KHI?
Thanks for the appreciation sir. Yes it comes with Black Grips. If salt is being rubbed because of the Grips then just wait till i post pictures with my other Grips :)
Anyways just joking buddy.
It was purchased this year and i think around January. Maybe the price has gone up. Ammo Price is rightly quoted by Starfish. No i am not based in Karachi but in Multan. I will check if Para Ordinance is available in reasonable price.

Dr Zakir
23-07-2010, 10:46 PM
adeel 1911 design is a master piece and taurus 1911 is a excellent gun unfortunately we have nothing else available. i am looking for a kimber and will buy it when i find one . moeen nearly got hold of one

Adeel Ahmad
24-07-2010, 08:44 AM
moeen nearly got hold of one
Sir ab meri aur Moeen Bhai ki larai ho jaye gi. Har cheez ka info pehle aap ko deete hain aur jab cheez sale ho jati hai to mujhe batate hain :)

Dr Zakir
25-07-2010, 12:44 AM
No I didn't got hold of it neither MOEEN seller sold it to some one alse had MOEEN hot hold of it his colt commander would have come up for sale . But I think kimbers will ultimately land here as passion for 45 is increasing

SPAYPANTHER
26-07-2010, 12:05 AM
@ all 1911 lovers

just want to know if here is a1911 available in 9mm so would you people will like it in same way as you like 1911 in .45???
or it is .45 cal which give it more attraction???

ARlover
26-07-2010, 12:09 AM
SPAYPANTHER brother 1911 with out power of .45acp auto =zero

Apalo
26-07-2010, 12:30 AM
@ all 1911 lovers

just want to know if here is a1911 available in 9mm so would you people will like it in same way as you like 1911 in .45???
or it is .45 cal which give it more attraction???
some one was quoting that PARA Lahore have one, you can confirm them through call.

Dr Zakir
26-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Yes 9 mm in 1911 is fun to shoot more than .45

StevenCline
26-07-2010, 07:08 AM

Oh, no... please no... I have a Kimber conversion kit- to .22 LR.

It's a dream.

Accurate.
Fast.
Really fast.
6-8 shots a second fast.

That's very dangerous.

SPAYPANTHER
26-07-2010, 12:19 PM
thanks stev ,Dr zakir , apalo & arlover for your reply

Skeeter60
26-07-2010, 09:20 PM

I don't remember who said it Quote" A hit with a .22 is far more effective than a loud miss with a Magnum "
I think it was the late Colonel Jeff Cooper

ARlover
26-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Skeeter60 sb i just post my opnion every body have right to show his opnion on fourm

Dr Zakir
27-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Very right skeeter sir Mossad assaisins use .22

Skeeter60
27-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Skeeter60 sb i just post my opnion every body have right to show his opnion on fourm

So have I.

Cheer up n smile.

Skeeter60
27-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Very right skeeter sir Mossad assaisins use .22

Absolutely, they use .22 Berettas with the magazines easily modified to take 10 shots each, and the hit men are a pair who pump 10 shots in about 2 seconds each in tandem, in the intended target when they surprise the target. The weapon signature is minimal and multiple hits ( 20 ) kill more efficiently then even a single .50 cal
There are other team members participating (with 9mms, which are not used until an emergency crops up) who have other roles/duties to carry out the hit

ARlover
27-07-2010, 01:52 AM
Skeeter60 sir i want taurus 1911 sir is this ok for timefill till i find kimber 1911 need ur expert opnion :)

Skeeter60
27-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Skeeter60 sir i want taurus 1911 sir is this ok for timefill till i find kimber 1911 need ur expert opnion :)

I think it is ok.
If you shoot about three times a week and intend to take part in matches then go for Kimber or other high end guns, but if you want it for casual sport and SD I think you are ok with the tauras

ARlover
27-07-2010, 02:21 AM
sir i make my mind for kimber taurus only for timefill till i find kimber

MIdreesTaj
27-07-2010, 02:49 AM
@ARlover you should go for a Kimber in my opinion if you find one for the sake of having the best of the best. If you are into shooting you can start with a Taurus :)

ARlover
27-07-2010, 11:46 AM
MIdreesTaj brother i chose kimber till i find a kimber i chose taurus1911 for understand this lagend:)

Aquarius
27-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Yes.. Taurus1911 is a fine gun.... :)

wasifali89
28-07-2010, 01:27 AM
i think we should prefer the taurus as many have tested it here in pk