Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Different types of licenses available in Karachi

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar

Different types of licenses available in Karachi

A lot of people have been having problems regarding licensing issues. It seems to be a bit of a maze and the unwary can get trapped easily. I have attempted to clarify the legality of different licenses as well as the means of procuring the same so as to ensure that people new to the world of licensed firearms are not trapped by greedy and unprincipled dealers.

In Karachi there are 5 types (That I have personally seen).

1). MOI all Pak. ones (Book/card)

2). Home department computerised ones

3). Home department back dated manual ones

4). DC ones

5). Baluchistan/KPK

The all Pak MOI books used to be the best bet all around. I myself had one. but unfortunately after the whole book to card fiasco ended up cancelling mine. (I have subsequently reacquired it) The current card MOIs are totally unrecommended IMHO. One cannot change the weapon on them and the sindh high court has issued a judgement against them. More ever there is no set procedure for renewing them.

They might be re-converted to the books from which they were forcibly converted to cards. However if that's what you want then the current rate is 27k and a wait of 4-6 weeks for the demand note. Once you get the demand note u purchase the weapon and get it entered at the DC office. After which it will be taken to NADRA where they will verify it and issue u a card within 30-90 days.

Dealers making em: Saddar Armoury (Lucky Star) and Guns and Ammo (Zamzama)

HD computerised ones:

They are issued by the Home department and the applicant has to personally visit the department where they take pictures and thumb scans and make a license exactly like the passport. (in fact a fellow member has passed off his passport as a license to the cops)

The documentary requirements include NTN number, house utility bills if house is owned by the applicant (or the CNIC of the person whose house u are living in as well as the utility bills Specifically gas and electricity)

No chance of any illegality or hanky panky whatsoever since all the data is actually submitted by the applicant himself just like NADRA CNIC.

Minimum age requirements: 25 years

Rate 18k or so.

Status: Virtualy closed. These licenses require the signature of the Home minister and Home sec.

Source: The incharge of the computerised arms license department at the Home dep.

However as of now Mr. 1mran here has just informed the forum that he has made one recently. I will try and arrange another meeting with the in charge of the Computerized arms license cell to get a clear picture and inform accordingly.

Home department Back dated manual licenses:

Around 20k or so and a highly illigal under-the-table-practice that can get the prospective licensee in trouble

Deputy Commisioner's License

These are being issued by the deputy commissioners of the province. All weapons purchased on them are endorsed at the DC office.

The minimum age requirements are 18 years. However they prefer to issue em to people at least 21 years old. These do not require the person to go anywhere or submit anything beyond his CNIC copy and a couple of passport sized pics. The dealers do the rest.

Current rate is 14-18k depending on dealer to dealer.

turn around time is around 4 to 8 weeks (Approx.)

The dealers i would work with are Ali Muhammad and sons 15-16k Adnan) (Used to be 15k till last week)& Hm Traders (Abbas 14k).

Guns and Ammo 18k Daad 18k, Mega armoury 17k,(Danish. I have made a couple of HD computerised ones through him) Huffaz Corp.18k However I have not worked with any of them other then mega so cant say anything about their performance.

In this case u just hand over your CNIC copy as well as pass port sized pics. A few thousand bucks as advance and wait for em to call. They usually promise 3 to 4 weeks and the average time is 6 weeks or so.

Balauchistan KPK licenses

(Somebody correct me if I am wrong but a all Pak lic is for Pakistanis only. While the provincial licenses are for also for their respective provinces. If u are a sindh resident or have a sindh domicile then u are eligible for a Sindh lic. But if you don't have a Baluchistan domicile or residency or even a birth certificate then what legal authority does the DC have in issuing that lic?

After all u are completely outside his jurisdiction)

For provincial license there must be some kind of relation to the district from which the lic is issued to qualify to get an arms licence from that province

Permanent or Temperory address on the CNIC
    Birth certificate from concern province
    Property ownership (In that province)
    Name in voter list

If none of them are there. Then I see NO reason what soever that the DC will issue such a lic. More ever 144 carry permits are not issued to such licenses (usually) since their antecedents are dubious at best.

Unscrupulous dealers do make such lics though. Turn around time. A fortnight or so.

ALL lics (barring the MOI cards) need to be registered at the local P.S and stamped by the Muharrir
    Last edited by Enigmatic Desires; 06-10-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Member Extraordinaire ajmal virk's Avatar
    Nice explanation for the people of Sindh and Karachi especially i am waiting that a senior memebr or moderator may provide such information to the people of Punjab also.

I apply all pak lic

Thanks Bro I give your refrence to mega ..

Thanks ED. Atleast now I know something rather than nothing yesterday.

Lord of War
    ED, MOI also needs to be registered in PS. I had made entry of my MOI, also
    When the issue of revalidation aroused, NADRA was not accepting the licences
    which did not have a PS entry.
    A pretty quick hit is better than a lightning-fast miss. -- Jack Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by M20mauser View Post
    Thanks Bro I give your refrence to mega ..
    U applied for an All pak?????
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Omkhan View Post
    ED, MOI also needs to be registered in PS. I had made entry of my MOI, also
    When the issue of revalidation aroused, NADRA was not accepting the licences
    which did not have a PS entry.
    MOI Card?

I asked the muharrir at the local PS if they do MOI cards and he said he had no idea how to stamp those.

Quote Originally Posted by forcetrip View Post
    Thanks ED. Atleast now I know something rather than nothing yesterday.
    Sir actually u were the inspiration behind this thread

The Home department issues 144 permits. usually from 2 weeks to 3 months duration. I have to make sure that any permits beyond the 90 day period are real or fake. Inshallah next time i get a chance to talk to some one at the home dep. I wil find out.

IMHO Since the Home Dept imposes section 144 , ergo it is the authority that issues the permission letters.

ALL life time permits issued by the Federal govt or any other body are invalid IMHO. And I have known cases whereupon the rangers have confiscated the weapons without the 144 permits issued by the HD.

If the dealers try and fob off life time permits for 8 to 10k ( the current going rate) decline the same.

Enthusiast
    Good to see the info which is hard to recap now from the current ongoing threads as one would have to go through several pages to understand the lics, their differences etc. Brillant job ED bro and thanks for sharing.

thanks for compiling

mine is manual HD and I hope it is original, I know that the All Pakistan conversion and PS entry is original as these were done by myself, even went to Commissioner's officer next to Sheraton, the guy sitting there verified that the signatures are genuine but did not show entry in diary/register (said its not available at the moment)

I wonder how do authorities check their own record when the time comes, if u r stopped by LEA at best they would contact the concerned PS over wireless but if you use your weapon in Self defense and shoot down a BG I presume they send your lic to either Commissioner's office or Home Department where ever your record is supposed to me, I would like to see it with my own eyes someday so that I can stop worrying about getting registered under possession and use of illegal firearm.

Taking it further if you can not trace the entry in records (that is before using your weapon on a BG) what would be the course of action then, how will the guy checking the record treat you for handing him over something not in his record, any experiences?

@ Thanks break neck

@ ISK

Normally, the guy sitting at the commissioner's office has to issue a verification letter that the weapon is genuine. In fact if the rangers confiscate the weapon they ask for that letter before they return your weapons to U.

The letter is not issued on any govt. charges. (Anything under the table is another matter)

However I have no idea what happens if they declare your lic a fake.

Which is why it is always better to ascertain the lic is real 'before' u purchase a fire arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    Sir actually u were the inspiration behind this thread
    You humble me speechless Mister ED. Always a pleasure reading your different analysis of the acquiring of these weapons. Which for the most part is the trickiest process of the whole firearm experience. It does suck to be middle class and having no friends because these are very important things to know to have weapons in this country. Must say you are one of the very reasons I visit this site often to find any more detailed reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by forcetrip View Post
    You humble me speechless Mister ED. Always a pleasure reading your different analysis of the acquiring of these weapons. Which for the most part is the trickiest process of the whole firearm experience. It does suck to be middle class and having no friends because these are very important things to know to have weapons in this country. Must say you are one of the very reasons I visit this site often to find any more detailed reviews.
    Thank you for honouring me with your kind words sir.

When I got my fist lic years back. It was an All pak MOi book.. and not knowing if it was real or not. i kind off. sent it for being cencelled. it was only a year later that i found out it was original all right.

Since I had essentially the same problem. Middle class and friend less. I had no idea what to do and who to go to for guidance. I have reacquired that license now and used it to procure a weapon I really liked and have subsequently had it entered at the local PS. All courtesy my dear fellow members on PG. (Specifically Zain Bhai an GUNFREAK)

This is why i am trying my level best to ensure that no one else gets misguided in this mess like I did.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for this meaningful thread...

Enthusiast
    Thanks for informative knowledge, Regarding your comments below about Federal Govt's 144 permit, I would like to share with you that one of my friend from arms branch suggested me to get and make Isb's (Federal Govt's) 144 permit rather then the HD's 144 permit due to issuance of limited period, (after paying few more amount as compare to local HD's deptt).

I also asked him that would it be workable in Sindh? if what if LEA reject to accept the 144 permit of federal! He told me that this would not happen because the federal govt have rights to issue that's why they are issuing and also they are superior then others and challenging their issued permit would be in the meaning of challenging the Issuing authority.

Regards...

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    The Home department issues 144 permits. usually from 2 weeks to 3 months duration. I have to make sure that any permits beyond the 90 day period are real or fake. Inshallah next time i get a chance to talk to some one at the home dep. I wil find out.

IMHO Since the Home Dept imposes section 144 , ergo it is the authority that issues the permission letters.

ALL life time permits issued by the Federal govt or any other body are invalid IMHO. And I have known cases whereupon the rangers have confiscated the weapons without the 144 permits issued by the HD.

If the dealers try and fob off life time permits for 8 to 10k ( the current going rate) decline the same.

All Pak BOok Dear Phelay Ye Tu Lay lonn CArd K Lien Zaroor Apply Karon Ga

thanks for guiding me .. ma dear

9mm ready to transfer for ma lic after i got..

S & W 908 ..

how about that???

Good sharing ED brother.

Tell me one thing. When you have an ALL PAK license whatever the type is and you travel frequently from between provinces. Then which 144 permit that guy need ? 4 HD permits from all provinces or there is something which can cover ALL PAK too other then the MOI LIFE TIME ones which are supposed to be not valid.

Quote Originally Posted by nauman_12345 View Post
    Thanks for informative knowledge, Regarding your comments below about Federal Govt's 144 permit, I would like to share with you that one of my friend from arms branch suggested me to get and make Isb's (Federal Govt's) 144 permit rather then the HD's 144 permit due to issuance of limited period, (after paying few more amount as compare to local HD's deptt).

I also asked him that would it be workable in Sindh? if what if LEA reject to accept the 144 permit of federal! He told me that this would not happen because the federal govt have rights to issue that's why they are issuing and also they are superior then others and challenging their issued permit would be in the meaning of challenging the Issuing authority.

Regards...
    That my be so nauman _12345 bhai. unfortunately I have known Rangers to stop and confiscate such weapons. I.e those weapons which had a 144 life time permit issued from the MOI.

Then the onus of the responsibility of proving the authenticity of the permit rests not with the confiscating authority but the individual who has his weapons confiscated.

The lower cadre officers and sepoys are told to look for a specific permit and that's precisely what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mig View Post
    Good sharing ED brother.

Tell me one thing. When you have an ALL PAK license whatever the type is and you travel frequently from between provinces. Then which 144 permit that guy need ? 4 HD permits from all provinces or there is something which can cover ALL PAK too other then the MOI LIFE TIME ones which are supposed to be not valid.
    Generaly 144 is issued in specific areas. i have never heard of a blanket 144 all over the country.