Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to spot a fake gun?

Enthusiast
    Could the members please share their knowledge about telling an original imported gun apart from a clone.

I suppose if you've handled an authentic weapon you would be able to notice the difference by looks and feel of the gun but if you've never seen one (i.e in front of you and not a picture)then what would be the best way to differentiate between the two?

I was thinking (and this is just a thought as my knowledge is very basic to say the least) that one way would be to look the gun in question up on the web and take down the specs (weight/measurements etc) and then actually see if the gun you are shown matches the specifications. I'm not sure how viable such a method would be.

I guess that's why a recourse like this forum is so useful in this regard as we can share info about reputable dealers who are known to be trustworthy and who's word we can rely on.

Anyway gentlemen please do share your thoughts on how to tell the real deal from the clones

Thanx
    The one who bows to Allah can stand up to anything

Do not judge a book by its cover.

Same applies to guns. If you have field stripped an original weapon you will be able to spot clones by field stripping them. To me, field stripping is the authentic way to spot clones for amateur gunowners.
    It is always the empty gun which kills.
    www.gondals.blogspot.com

PakGuns Expert Panel
    Spotting a fake is not a big deal for a person who has handeled an origional and is familiar with the quality standard of the western guns. For a novice, this can be a task, if the fake is of the high quality.

For a novice the only guideline that can be given is to look for the quality. One should strip the gun and examine the smaller parts, corners, hindges, under the big parts. You can easily spot rough work because our brothers don't have the technology to get a superb finish in these parts.

Rough work doesn't mean "rough" in absolute terms but in relative terms, relative to reputable superb quality companies. I would recomend to examine at least one origional gun before trying to spot a fake. Only this way one will have the fair idea about the quality standared of the western guns.

Now mostly hand guns come with polygonal grooves, our fakers donn't have the experties to drill these grooves, this can also be hlpful.
    \"You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man\'s initiative and independence.\"

Member Extraordinaire
    it is becoming increasingly difficult to differniate from orginal as quality of clones is increasing day by day just saw a 92fs had i not already owned it previously i would not be able to tell the difference .i think when u r purchasing a gun u should check it very closely in good light for finishing field strip it other wise casualy we can easily miss a clone . chances of clones are more for common guns like bretta glock, kk , sig 226 ,chinese 9mms rare guns which usually people dont know about chances are less like steyr hk

Expert Member
    clone is always a clone, you need a good eye to judge, i dont think so a clone of glock, beretta or any other original stuff's clone can match dirt of them, once person gets involved in the affair of loving weapons then weapons start speaking to you.

for example; there is an original swiss Rolex watch which is for about Rs. 375k and the clone is for 20k so do you think that the finish and the matel will be of the same quality, no never.

so one should seek help from a weapon exepert to learn the tricks of the trade.
    Arms & Arms, Brothers in Arms.

Open the gun and see for yourself. As the clones have always got some rough edges in the metal parts even thought they are casted ones and made on machines. In order to produce a working piece the artist fine tunes certain parts which have rough marks on them! Thats how Iget them.
    A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace.

James Madison, The Federalist Papers (No. 46).

Apart from checking the rough edges do look for the proof marks and codes! They can be cross checked on internet with manufacturers as well as with some very informative web sites where they have details about the manufacturers! I've seen 100s of clones and sometimes even very close copy with almost genuine proof marks and just by inquiring on internet I came to know that those were fake! One such case was when I had a small 303 enfield handheld rifle dated 1865 or so and on inquiry I had an authentic answer on net about the gun! It was DARRA MADE..though it was very old but not valuable at all! I was happily surprised with kind of details that I recieved on net! Otherwise! It is just your frequent inter action with GUNZ that teaches you what to look for in a genuine gun! Local made clone copies are getting better n better every day! those rough surfaces are diminishing.... local manufacturers are learning fast! patterns of engraving and other attributes are getting better as instead of free work there is more of a ordered work and demands of quality on such tasks are increasing!
    Talal Khan

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    It helps if u know the dealer and know people who have had dealings with him...
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S)

Rookie
    There are some situations where you should be very careful about thinking that the gun in question is fake. Some "fake" guns are so close to real that looking it in a hand from a distance of 5 meters that "fake" gun looks almost real.

Think about a situation of a robbery where some robber hands-up you. You are in a sticky situation and even if you get ideas that the gun the robber is holding is a fake, don't try to act on that judgment. What if it is not a fake? Things can go wrong within seconds.
    \"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.\" - Albert Einstein

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wampyr
    There are some situations where you should be very careful about thinking that the gun in question is fake. Some "fake" guns are so close to real that looking it in a hand from a distance of 5 meters that "fake" gun looks almost real.

Think about a situation of a robbery where some robber hands-up you. You are in a sticky situation and even if you get ideas that the gun the robber is holding is a fake, don't try to act on that judgment. What if it is not a fake? Things can go wrong within seconds.

I think maybe you have misunderstood brother, the fakes being referred to are guns that fire live rounds and are capable of killing, its just that they have been manufactured by local gunsmiths and are copies of guns made by famous well known companies such as Glock or Beretta.

I think the fake type guns your talking about are ornaments that look like guns but are not capable of firing live rounds or only capable of firing blanks.

Thanx to all brothers who have responded, the information is valuable

I think no arms dealer would dare sell you a clone of any high priced gun for the price of the original, if someone offers you a Glock, Beretta or Sig etc for 20k or 30k, it means it's either a clone or is stolen :)

Lord of War
    Its really hard to spot a clone for novice/ intermediate gun users. Abbas in a thread posted pics of 92FS & one is gonna have a tough time claiming its a fake or not.
    A pretty quick hit is better than a lightning-fast miss. -- Jack Weaver

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyas
    I think no arms dealer would dare sell you a clone of any high priced gun for the price of the original, if someone offers you a Glock, Beretta or Sig etc for 20k or 30k, it means it's either a clone or is stolen :)

Good point, I was thinking the same thing I mean a dealers reputation would be in tatters if he ripped someone off by a huge amount, and I really don't think that any business man with good sense would want to ruin his good name.

InshaAllah as this forum continues to grow and become more popular it will be an excellent tool for either recommending or warning against dealers, and the sooner the dealers know about it the better.

Imagine if a gun dealer knew that if he misbehaved he would be named and shamed not only in his locality nor only in the whole of Pakistan but the whole world will know what he has done. Im sure the attitude and customer service of some of these dealers would improve a lot.

Member Extraordinaire
    yes , but i find most people around have no idea about guns and they could be easily taken for a ride .

Blog Entries
    when i bought my first 9mm,i saw a clone of 92fs,it was marvelous as i am novice.they asked 50k for it,i assure you guys if i had 50 k,i would buy it.
    now through this forum i know the prices of guns and clones and i can figure a clone if i am allowed it to strip.
    just look at inner parts.
    one thing is also important,strip the mag and examine the spring of the magazine,this also can work... ;)
    La Fortune Sourit aux Audacieux

Just take a senior member from the fourm and let him inspect the weapon:) And when it comes to guns, most of us drop personal tasks and pick gun-related stuff.
    It is always the empty gun which kills.
    www.gondals.blogspot.com

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu hafs
    Quote Originally Posted by Wampyr

I think maybe you have misunderstood brother, the fakes being referred to are guns that fire live rounds and are capable of killing, its just that they have been manufactured by local gunsmiths and are copies of guns made by famous well known companies such as Glock or Beretta.

I think the fake type guns your talking about are ornaments that look like guns but are not capable of firing live rounds or only capable of firing blanks.
    My bad, I understood it wrong.

By the way, my knowledge about guns is limited and differentiating between a knock-out (replica) and original would be really difficult for me. :)
    \"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.\" - Albert Einstein

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamid
    Just take a senior member from the fourm and let him inspect the weapon:) And when it comes to guns, most of us drop personal tasks and pick gun-related stuff.
    u can say htat again Hamid sahib :)
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S)

Ellahi bux and co at teen talwar khi, was selling NIB beretta 92 fs for 250k. i've heard that its 300k+. Could that be a clone too ???:rolleyes:

good info to pick right gun not fake :cool: