Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Cleaning kits , Solvents , Oils

Just wanted to know that what solvent/lubricant/oil is good enough to clean my PT92 and Semi Auto Shotgun...
    What things will I be needing apart from the cleaning utensils such as brush, cloth etc...

Thanks in advance brother...

Regards
    "Nahi hai na umeed Iqbal apni kasht-e-veeran se, zara num ho tou yeh mitti bari zarkhez hai saaqi"

Quote Originally Posted by chohan View Post
    Whats the difference between Hoppe's "POWDER SOLVENT" and "Hoppe's no 9 SOlvent"????
    I am planning to buy one online, please let me know if it is the same thing or different:

http://magiclamp.pk/productView.php?...arch=hoppe&s=1
    Elahi Buksh has hoppe's solvents...Tatur1 bro visited the shop today and he posted it that they have a vast collection of hoppe's...So why don't you buy it from there instead of buying it online...Im sure buying online from magiclamp is more costly...
    "Nahi hai na umeed Iqbal apni kasht-e-veeran se, zara num ho tou yeh mitti bari zarkhez hai saaqi"

Enthusiast
    synthetic mobil1 atf mixed with mobil1 10w30 oil in a 50/50 mix is excellent for cleaning and lubrication
    also dextron atf (automatic transmission fluid used in car automatic gearboxes) is common amongst many shooters for lubing and cleaning
    google it and you will be surprised at how popular it is in the west
    look under Gun Oil Substitutes here http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Oil
    gunsmith Grant Cunningham suggests Dexron-type ATF fluid as a lubricant http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html
    i use synthetic 10w30 mobil 1 oil mixed with dextron atf on trigger parts and molydenum disulfide grease on the rails of semi auto pistols makes the gun smooth as butter
    also remember genuine dextron atf will be bright red ....most of the stuff sold in pakistan labelled as dextron 2 atf is fake you can tell by the colour the real stuff is bright red
    TIP OF THE DAY ____any rusty item coated or dipped in dextron atf for a few days will come out totally rust free
    Last edited by jagga; 26-04-2013 at 07:35 AM.

@ Jagga...

bro from where can we get our hands on molydenum disulfide grease?
    "There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men."

PakGuns Photographer Moderator! Naveed_pk's Avatar
    @ lifebreaking roman urdu is not allowed on Pakguns . Write only in English language.
    "It's better to have firearm and not need it than to need one and not have it."

my pardon naveed brother i mean to say if you ask for Molybdenum Grease from from auto spare parts shop
    Last edited by Naveed_pk; 26-04-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Enthusiast
    deathrow go to autospares shop and ask for grease for driveshaft joints it will be black in colour ...apply it very lightly with a cotton bud or matchstick on the rail grooves... dont forget to tell me the results

Quote Originally Posted by jagga View Post
    deathrow go to autospares shop and ask for grease for driveshaft joints it will be black in colour ...apply it very lightly with a cotton bud or matchstick on the rail grooves... dont forget to tell me the results

Really? thanks bro

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jagga View Post
    @Jagga

Since you use it regularly on your pistols, have you faced any issue like messy holster or anything like that?
    "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" -Mark Twain

Enthusiast
    no mess if you apply it very lightly on the rails ...if you put too much on it will leak out and can mess up your hands,clothes and holster and the black mark will not wash wash off clothes.
    you only need a very tiny amount dont apply too much and you wont have a problem
    its excellent for lubricating airgun springs and makes them a lot smoother

Enthusiast
    Thanks Jagga bro for the input. I think this grease is usually referred to as CV Joint Grease here in auto shops. A confirmation would be appreciated.
    "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" -Mark Twain

AoA Gentlemen.

Kindly allow me offer my two cents on the subject. C.V joint grease (mostly Molybdenum Disulfide Grease or Moly grease or MOS2 grease) is a high quality grease which can be (just as easily) used in some firearms related applications however mostly such grease is available in NLGI-2 grade which in my humble opinion is too thick for the job.

if one is in pursuit of perfection instead of following "just to get it over with it" approach, in that case, I would suggest that one should mix it with some high quality oil to thin it down to the level of mayonnaise (NLGI-0). mixing it is easy. just add oil in small quantities and whip the whole mixture like you do with an egg. keep checking. stop mixing oil when typical mayonnaise type consistency is achieved. Simple!

Regards.
    Last edited by 12GAUGE; 26-04-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

@12 Gauge

Bro what should I use to clean my pistol and shotgun?

Enthusiast
    @ 12 Gauge

Thank you for the confirmation and suggestion. Always a pleasure to read and learn from your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by SMNAP View Post
    @12 Gauge

Bro what should I use to clean my pistol and shotgun?
    Bro, you can use any high quality cleaner such as hoppes or birchwood's bore scrubber. they both work well. if you want a home brew then I'm afraid you'll have to play with some chemicals which are commonly available at most hardware stores. upside: you'll save alot only if you shoot/clean alot. otherwise, the juice is not worth the squeeze. let me know if you want to play chemist then we'll take it from there.

This might help:

Maintenance: Cleaning an Autoloader Shotgun

Regards.
    Last edited by 12GAUGE; 26-04-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 12GAUGE View Post
    AoA Gentlemen.

Kindly allow me offer my two cents on the subject. C.V joint grease (mostly Molybdenum Disulfide Grease or Moly grease or MOS2 grease) is a high quality grease which can be (just as easily) used in some firearms related applications however mostly such grease is available in NLGI-2 grade which in my humble opinion is too thick for the job.

if one is in pursuit of perfection instead of following "just to get it over with it" approach, in that case, I would suggest that one should mix it with some high quality oil to thin it down to the level of mayonnaise (NLGI-0). mixing it is easy. just add oil in small quantities and whip the whole mixture like you do with an egg. keep checking. stop mixing oil when typical mayonnaise type consistency is achieved. Simple!

Regards.

and which oil should this be..???

Quote Originally Posted by Deathrow View Post
    and which oil should this be..???
    Any gun oil that you prefer bro. Oil only. No WD40, brunnox or NASA or any similar CLP that may contains solvents in the mixture.

Regards.

Bro, you can use any high quality cleaner such as hoppes or birchwood's bore scrubber. they both work well. if you want a home brew then I'm afraid you'll have to play with some chemicals which are commonly available at most hardware stores. upside: you'll save alot only if you shoot/clean alot. otherwise, the juice is not worth the squeeze. let me know if you want to play chemist then we'll take it from there.

This might help:

Maintenance: Cleaning an Autoloader Shotgun

Regards.
    Thanks a lot brother...I think I will just buy a Hoppe's solvent and refrain from being a chemist as I don't like chemistry lol it will be a bit difficult for me...

Any gun oil that you prefer bro. Oil only. No WD40, brunnox or NASA or any similar CLP that may contains solvents in the mixture.

Regards.
    oh, so the regular simple gun oil that we get that should do right? I really wana try this today on my Caracal... last time I just lubed it with mobile oil and it made hell-a-lota difference in the smoothness of the gun...

Quote Originally Posted by SMNAP View Post
    Elahi Buksh has hoppe's solvents...Tatur1 bro visited the shop today and he posted it that they have a vast collection of hoppe's...So why don't you buy it from there instead of buying it online...Im sure buying online from magiclamp is more costly...
    Bro I have already visited Ellahi Buksh, no doubt they have Hoppe's products, I bought a weatherguard oil from there but solvent was not available, they informed that the shipment will arrive soon but called them day before yesterday and till then the solvent was not available. Any other place if anyone can suggest?????
    Don't forget your great guns, which are the most respectable arguments of the rights of kings.