Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 721 DIY Restoration

Blog Entries
    Thanks PF & Avias brothers.

PF bro; first plan was to do foiling but dropped it for 2 reasons (a) Dont have that much of time to spend on (b) gun being very old and been foiled a lot by previous owner (even markings are almost flattened) so decided not to foil more of the steel off.
    Regarding stock; it has been foiled more than the steel so decided not to do more peeling but to put something on instead (paint & surface coatings).
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Congrats on ur new purchase , plz find 1 for me : )
    Hope is necessary in every condition........

Deny bro, congrats you have purchased another good rifle...make it look good with labour of love.

Denovo Brother,

Very nice job can you eloborate the bluing Process I want to done it on my HK 770 (308) Rifle.

Warm Regards.

Owais Hasan
    "Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." (John Dean "Jeff" Cooper - May 10, 1920 - September 25, 2006)

Blog Entries
    Well, neither did I get a chance to congratulate you officially Denovo bro, nor un-officially! This thread somehow escaped my eyes totally and I just found out it's relatively old and full 3 pages now.

Anyhow, congrats on acquiring this thing, I know you had a 30-06 itch since long, so thanks to Avais bhai for helping you out, you're quite of a chameleon when in his company, lolz!

Anyhow, it's ok if you wanna do the stock yourself, otherwise I totally agreed with Skeeter Sir's suggestion about the Akram job. I've seen his stocks and truly one even forgets the original ones, he's a master with this respect, leave alone chequering, etc, he can even put your good portrait on it, lolz!

Anyhow, congrats and best of luck with the restoration work, I myself just completed some rejuvenation of mine, a 30-06 by FN, the wooden color of which had faded and become dry. Since it's a keeper and I care nil for market status, it was simply done with just a few swabs of almost non-color polish, and finally laminated with quality lamination stuff for the continued protection and shine. I like it now, it's smooth and lovely.

As for the bolt re-finishing, I simply went to my number-plate guy and asked him to buff it out with a soft brush over the machine, using some brasso like agent. When done, I took it home, cleaned once more to wipe away the loose carbon residue from the buffing job, and then applied some steel-polish for further cleansing and shine.

The bolt now looks like this:

One must however be careful that the buffer man does not buff the parts engaging the locking part of the bolt, which I asked him to do bu handwork.

I stripped the magazine and - after complete cleaning, especially of the hairlike ridges by the bends of the spring which can be very prone to rust collection- greased the whole thing up with some quality white grease, reason why you can't see the shine, otherwise it's like new:

Few years back the gun looked like this, default finish:

Weatherization/climatic effects dulled the appearance up recently as you can see in this picture:

And some restoration work recently got it back to this:

So you can judge from above both the before/after as well as original state pictures, that it's not any "over-do" as if compared to the pictures of 3 or so years back.

The gun needs no bluing work for now as such, but I polished the barrel with top notch Mothers auto-wax and it's uhmmm now!

Now only looking for the butt-plate which had broken few years back, and in addition to this, probably some options for mounting a scope, since the gun has no default set up for it.

It's almost "auto" smooth now, with respect to the working of the action.

Wanted to share long ago, but with a field review also, ruined by the fact that i forgot all the ammo back at the hill station this summer.

Looking forward to seeing your further upgrades/work with your new beauty, and welcome to the 30-06 gang, congrats again.

Regards.
    Last edited by AK47; 24-01-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    , so thanks to Avais bhai for helping you out, you're quite of a chameleon when in his company, lolz!

ha ha ha , wat a handsome chameleon u hav over there ak 47 bro,........................................ wat do u say bro den ,,,,,,,,,,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zainulabdeen View Post
    ha ha ha , wat a handsome chameleon u hav over there ak 47 bro,........................................ wat do u say bro den ,,,,,,,,,,
    Lolz! I simply meant with respect to "changing colors" as per environment. On a lighter note, sir Avais has turned "chameleon" too with respect to handguns, since company of Denovo bro, lolz!

Regards.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ak bro; wanted to get everything done/fixed by professional but then thought its the route anyone can take why not do all the repairs, mods n upgrades with my own vigin (KANWARAY) hands so did the bluing without pre-finish metal preparation as test.
    Believe me going through this job gave me extreme confidence & satisfaction that decided to work on stock by myself with the tools, chems & craftsmanship I have and after that will Inshallah re-do the bluing in proper way to give metal a proper deep gleam.

AK bro; your rifle is a beautiful piece with quite a history attached to it just to show how I buff polished bolt of my Parkerhale (and that too with my own Kanwaray hands);

Reh Gai gal Chameleon wali tay bhai; a gun enthusiast keep on changing his colors from hand guns to long guns, from metal guns to poly guns, from hammer fired to internal striker fired.... and so on .... kaisee kahee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post

Thanks Ak bro; wanted to get everything done/fixed by professional but then thought its the route anyone can take why not do all the repairs, mods n upgrades with my own vigin (KANWARAY) hands

AK bro; your rifle is a beautiful piece with quite a history attached to it just to show how I buff polished bolt of my Parkerhale (and that too with my own Kanwaray hands);

Reh Gai gal Chameleon wali tay bhai; a gun enthusiast keep on changing his colors from hand guns to long guns, from metal guns to poly guns, from hammer fired to internal striker fired.... and so on .... kaisee kahee
    Wasey Kahee! I agree with you, these are all "seasons" in a gunner's life, otherwise the whole thing and fun of the collection aspirations would just become so boring monotonous.

Thanks Denovo bro, I also agree with you, restoration works has it's own specific challenges and is quite a fine off-time enjoyment, especially if you use your own hands to do the job, no doubts.

Nice bolt there of yours, excellent job done. A bit of auto-wax applied properly, and see how the action of your beauty becomes almost "auto", lolz!

Since we are now both busy with the 30-06's, have you any idea as to the butt-plate I mentioned as missing in mine? Any uniform size available, or does it mean another MISTRY to visit now. I do have one such, since that's sadly where my own clumsy hands fail to do any more.

Keep on Denovo bro, let's see the progress. Done with my 30-06 now, I myself may venture soon upon another project, a side by side, English DBBL, ignored since long.

Regards.

Blog Entries
    Do you still have the screws of lost or broken butt plate AK bro? waisay I am thinking to get butt plate + grip cap made for this very Remi 721 & get these engraved before gold plating them will definitely get one made for you after I source one for myself successfully.

For scope set up; can you please post close up of the receiver from top?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    Do you still have the screws of lost or broken butt plate AK bro? waisay I am thinking to get butt plate + grip cap made for this very Remi 721 & get these engraved before gold plating them will definitely get one made for you after I source one for myself successfully.

For scope set up; can you please post close up of the receiver from top?
    Thank you Den, appreciated, and lolz on the gold plating, let's do it before the Tola hits the 100K mark, which may not be too far off the corner, lolz!

I'll look for the screws, yet sadly think I've misplaced them somewhere irrecoverable!

And I'll take some fresh pics from top side tomorrow, Inshallah, I've a feeling I'll need to resort to the drill and tap "surgery", lolz! Will let you know tomorrow, Inshallah.

Regards.

Blog Entries
    New equipment for a super quality paint job , I am taking this rifle restoration dam seriously

PakGuns Photographer Moderator! Naveed_pk's Avatar
    Lols !! Awesome Danny bro So we should take all our weapons need to re-blue all the way to Sialkot.
    "It's better to have firearm and not need it than to need one and not have it."

Wow. Go on Go ON.. !!
    You will End up with a Gunsmithing workshop with this.
    I wish I was in your city so I could have done some help in this with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Naveed_pk View Post
    Lols !! Awesome Danny bro So we should take all our weapons need to re-blue all the way to Sialkot.
    Not just re-blue but Wait and see,, For ALL THE working. PAKGUNS Sialkot WORKSHOP!

Blog Entries
    After having some experience (& lot of confidence) decided to do the complete re-blue, thats what I and how I spend whole 7 hours today;

Disassembled and cleaned parts with carbcleaner to start loooong session of filing, finishing and polish,

Used 120 grit sand paper to remove old bluing, rust & to remove pitting (to some extant) then 320 grit to smooth & finally 600 grit to polish; it was a complete workout of arms n shoulders to remove some of filth this gun been collecting for 60 years

And thats what I completed before calling the day off (at 12.30am);

P.S. what you see on my hands is just the result of last session of polishing the barrel as been washing hands in between while hoping from filing to bluing to filing, today I realized why people working in workshops wear dungarees & gloves

Good Work Denny brother.. The workshop started in the bathroom!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mig View Post
    Good Work Denny brother.. The workshop started in the bathroom!
    Thanks Mig bro; great people start great works from bathroom

So finally you decided to do everything by yourself. Good work keep it going and bring us some fascinating results. A good gunsmith business is awaiting for you. Lolzzzz.

Blog Entries
    Impressive! Inspiring!

The barrel looks so fine now, that I'd even suggest leaving it stainless, lolz!

Well done Denovo bro, now where the hell do I find something sixty years??!!! Really wanna experiment something, awaiting your further results, this is absolutely marvelous for the start.

Regards.