Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 721 DIY Restoration

brother den , respected sir skeeter has guided u for the stock . i think it is the perfect solution to the issue

congrats on the purchase danny bro
    Always Believe in GOD............. Because......... There are some Questions in Grave That can not be Answerd by GOOGLE.

A.O.A, Very nice New Year resolution, only a person having taste like yours can pick that peace. What I learned from above posts is: You can change Stock and sights, thorough cleaning and bluing can be done with barrel and other parts. A.H
    A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart and wins with his character.

congrates Denevo bro for the beauty.
    and very challenging resolution for the year 2k12.
    very best of luck bro.
    keep posted
    It is always man behind the machine

PakGuns Expert Panel
    Akram is as good as Holland & Holland and better than any other; when it comes to stock making.
    JU

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter60 View Post
    Akram is as good as Holland & Holland and better than any other; when it comes to stock making.
    Done Sir ji; Akram will be working on stock n finish. Will bring rifle along on my next visit.
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

@Denovo 87

Brother Congrats.The 30.06 is a very good acquisition for a gun enthusiast like you, and it will keep you occupied for a while.It has seen good days and am sure with expert and technical guidance from Skeeter 60 and furniture rebuild by Akram it will be back to a shiny new piece.The Rifle is lucky to be back in such good hands.Best of Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    Done Sir ji; Akram will be working on stock n finish. Will bring rifle along on my next visit.
    Good Denny Bro.. Now this will come up with a Beauty stock.. Even my unexperienced eyes said the stock should be changed !!

Any update Denny bro!!!

Blog Entries
    Yesterday decided to spend this Sunday on restoration so started from what looked easy n have tools/chems available for i.e. bluing;
    After doing some deeper study of metal (using magnifying glass) decided against the foiling n surface preparation and to just degrease and blue. Below is the result;

Please compare the photos with original and comment if are the results worth spending a weekend on ???

looking great

the difference between pre- and post blued gun speaks itself, great work brother den, but where is pictorial of process bro, it eould have been a graet advantage to the " learners" like me

Looking much Better.. What you did with Mistery Akram Stock thing ?

Blog Entries
    Thanks S. Cheema, Zain, Mig bros; Didnot ahve anyone available to take photos & my hands still are coated with perma blue
    Mistry Akram idea been dropped, will be doing everything by myself at home like first step completed today.

Next thing is to restore the stock (along with final bluing coats next Sunday), not going to get new stock made; will paint the original in black with adding something to raise cheek area... so stay tuned to see how an old rifle turns into a flashy sniper rifle

Thanks S. Cheema, Zain, Mig bros; Didnot ahve anyone available to take photos & my hands still are coated with perma blue
    Mistry Akram idea been dropped, will be doing everything by myself at home like first step completed today.

Next thing is to restore the stock (along with final bluing coats next Sunday), not going to get new stock made; will paint the original in black with adding something to raise cheek area... so stay tuned to see how an old rifle turns into a flashy sniper rifle

Right decision,

Sir, You have done a great job & your toys must be played by you,

Is there any need for front sight after removing the rear one ? why not remove it too ?

May i suggest you to use the matt black or dark gray deco furniture paint on the stock,

IMO, A new recoilpad & a leather raised cheekpiece are must have.

Waiting for the next episode.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mian Jee View Post
    Right decision,

Sir, You have done a great job & your toys must be played by you,

Is there any need for front sight after removing the rear one ? why not remove it too ?

May i suggest you to use the matt black or dark gray deco furniture paint on the stock,

IMO, A new recoilpad & a leather raised cheekpiece are must have.

Waiting for the next episode.
    Thanks Mian Jee bro; recoil pad has already been ordered but considering to get the original butt plate (along with trigger) gold chromed, what you say?
    For cheek piece am thinking on getting one made of walnut to cap on the original stock (before putting fillers on) so cap blends in after paint job; like the idea?

Thanks Mian Jee bro; recoil pad has already been ordered but considering to get the original butt plate (along with trigger) gold chromed, what you say?
    For cheek piece am thinking on getting one made of walnut to cap on the original stock (before putting fillers on) so cap blends in after paint job; like the idea?
    Sir,thanks for asking,

1-What you have done with the front sight ?

2-If you want a gold job on butt plate & trigger,why not add the bolt too ?

3-Adding an cap on cheek piece is a good idea but filling can crack after some time by drying out the new piece or by a accidental hit on the new piece.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mian Jee View Post
    Sir,thanks for asking,

1-What you have done with the front sight ?

2-If you want a gold job on butt plate & trigger,why not add the bolt too ?

3-Adding an cap on cheek piece is a good idea but filling can crack after some time by drying out the new piece or by a accidental hit on the new piece.
    Mian Jee bro;

1) Had to remove rear sight as scope was not sitting on it and sight cut in the barrel gets covered by scope objective lens but removing front sight will leave naked cut just above the muzzle that aesthetically does not look pleasing.
    2) Gold Chroming bolt will be too much but a golden grip tip can be a good idea.
    3) Cap I am thinking off will be made using well cured walnut; secondly choosing walnut is to make sure that both pieces are of same type of wood; thirdly will have to glue & screw the cap on, using 2-4 small screws to make sure cap does not move or get loose if gun is hit or dropped.
    Last edited by Denovo87; 23-01-2012 at 03:06 AM.

Denovo87,

Salam
    The project your are working on is the kind I like to do. Wood and metal finishing need some elbow grease - actually lots of it. Plan on spending days, weeks and months on both the wood and the metal. If the gun was in my hands, I would use oil finish. After the wood is finished, you do not have to worry about scratches - just buff the wood with some linseed oil and any scratch you get on the wood will disappear like magic.

Metal pitting is due to lack of proper storage - moisture. One time I stripped the blue finish of a brand new Ruger 22LR pistol. The factory finish of the metal under the bluing was rough. I recall spending all my spare time with emery cloth (I used lots of it) on the Ruger for months!

If you are willing bring bunch of sandpaper and emery cloth of various grits along with the rifle to BWP next month, I will get you started on the metal and the wood. Get the metal to a mirror finish and then worry about the bluing.
    22LR Diameter: bullet .223", neck @ case mouth .224", base .225", rim .275". Length: case .595", cartridge overall .975"

Denovo brother, Good job done. I must say better than Mistry Akram in a sense to own.