Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 721 DIY Restoration

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Remington 721 DIY Restoration

AoA guys.. acquired a rifle this week ' REMINGTON 721 in 30.06 ' . Although its very old (8 years older than me ) but the condition of rifle is more beaten than its age. Owner (late) actually was so in love with this rifle that he used everything on it to beautify its outers from hiring a furniture polish guy to a motor mechanic they all did their best to remove everything from gun's finish from checkering to markings & original finish.

I was never in the mood to buy another gun (after recent Sig venture) but thanks to Avais bro; he took me to Sargodha as a driver to buy a rifle but at the end of the day he didnt & I did, as always

Now I am with a rifle that will keep me busy for whole 2012 as I am determine to restore it to condition that I possibly can, living in Pakistan.

But but but I have no frigging idea how, what & from where; so help in shape of suggestions, ideas, guidance to the place I can get things done from etc. is required from you all brothers. So please come forward and chip your share in to turn this ugly thing into a beauty it deserve to be.

Posting detailed pictures in following posts so you all can see where & what treatment it needs.

THE GUN

Last edited by Denovo87; 01-01-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Blog Entries
    MANUFACTURER'S MARKINGS & TRIGGER AREA

Blog Entries
    The BOLT

Blog Entries
    SIGHTS & SCOPE ARRANGEMENT

Blog Entries
    INTERNALS

Congrats for the Purchase. It will be a nice toy for practicing gunsmithing !
    Now when Avais uncle take Denny bro as a Driver then the Result can be always like this which happened. hahah

First thing I can see that there is a major Crack in the butt stock so you have to start your gunsmithing from the Wood.

Secondly if its wood get a new look then the caliber is a 30.06 means wonderful for long range and this caliber gives a nice velocity & you are a scope lover you would love to see the target from the crosshair but I would suggest, you try using the iron sights with it and think of scope the last thing.

Thirdly after the major changes then look for its makeup and coloring and polishing.

Finally, after the good make up we would love a Post Review with Range Report !

Regards

Brother how much money you pay for this rifle??

I think its owner hired the furniture man and motor mechanic but never tried to hire a car wash person hahah,, to remove the rust from the metals !

Blog Entries
    Mig bro; Thanks. Crack is just on one side so nothing to worry about as its in top skin only. I also am interested to enjoy iron sights before putting any magnification device on.

7mm bro; paid a lot bro, you know rifles (and that Remington too) are quite expensive here; I promised with previous owner not to reveal the price and he reads this forum regularly

congrats on the purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    I promised with previous owner not to reveal the price and he reads this forum regularly
    now we have to ask Avais brother because it is you who promised hahahh !!

so this is the outcome of travel of hundreds of kilometers . and let me say that this acquisition justifies the distance u covered brother. the crack in buttstock is superficial no doubt. the internals seem to be in a very good and solid condition as well as the crown. the main thing are the grooves and lands and no doubt u must have checked them before purchasing so the gun , in over all condition seems to be ok . now lets see how u restore it to the point where it should fetch a word of " WAH " from the pakgunners after completion of cosmetic surgery

Mig bro; Thanks. Crack is just on one side so nothing to worry about as its in top skin only. I also am interested to enjoy iron sights before putting any magnification device on.

7mm bro; paid a lot bro, you know rifles (and that Remington too) are quite expensive here; I promised with previous owner not to reveal the price and he reads this forum regularly
    You mean GIFT from Avais Brother??

sir nice buy!! u can use midway USA channel on youtube for renovation of gun. he gives some very good gun-smiting advice and procedure http://www.youtube.com/user/MidwayUSA here is the link u may find all most all the help. from blueing to polishing wood to checkering and almost anything related to gun and its maintenance..
    "I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zainulabdeen View Post
    so this is the outcome of travel of hundreds of kilometers . and let me say that this acquisition justifies the distance u covered brother. the crack in buttstock is superficial no doubt. the internals seem to be in a very good and solid condition as well as the crown. the main thing are the grooves and lands and no doubt u must have checked them before purchasing so the gun , in over all condition seems to be ok . now lets see how u restore it to the point where it should fetch a word of " WAH " from the pakgunners after completion of cosmetic surgery

Thanks Zain bro; you are right internals including barrel is in pristine condition as I am sure rifle hardly metered 100 rounds. Very first thing I want to have it blued (bolt in patent steel), checked from Sialkot but didnot find a good place so be taking it to Lahore for bluing soon. Still confused over stock; what do you say should I leave it un-checkered & ony get it re-polished?

Quote Originally Posted by 7 MM View Post
    You mean GIFT from Avais Brother??
    7mm bro; either I am not good at hiding things or you are very good at peeping into minds anyways you got it

7mm bro; either I am not good at hiding things or you are very good at peeping into minds anyways you got it
    Denny,, you are not good at hiding I guess !!

PakGuns Expert Panel
    The 721 Remington is a wonderful rifle. Your particular Rifle seems abused and has spent 30 to 40 years sitting in a Malkhana as it has the number stamped on it. It is 1935 model if my memory serves me right.
    The new 700 model since 1964 has only cosmetic differences. I hope the barrel is nice and clean inside and not corroded like the outside.
    If the barrel (inside) is fine then have a new Stock made by Akram at Lahore (15 to 20000/-)
    Rebluing another 1000/ or more. I pray the trigger is fine otherwise you will need a new trigger as nothing can be done to it if it out of kilter.
    Muzzle crowning I will do for you and I could even Glass Bed it for you if you look after me and keep me well oiled for a couple of days. Another area to look for is its extractor, if broken only 6 USD will fetch you a new one.
    I have shot untold number of big game with a 721 Rifle Cal 30-06 between 1970s and 1984 when I retired it.
    JU

PakGuns Expert Panel
    It does not appear to be tempered and may not have fired save a few rounds. It just got corrosion all over it due to neglect.
    Do not hesitate to spend money on it as I am sure you got it for a song.
    A new stock with a high (modern ) comb is a must for using a scope on it.
    JU

Blog Entries
    good classic gun, congrats. now you have to see a 2000 yards range
    La Fortune Sourit aux Audacieux

Blog Entries
    Thanks Sir Skeeter; I honestly was waiting you to comment. Manufacturing year is 1953 (month of May to be exact). Barrel & trigger looks fine, though not sure about the extractor as have never seen 721 bolt before neither have rounds available to check that.

Now regarding new stock; have no experience with mistry Akram, would love to put new stock on it if Akram can do the checkering job as fine as its on my CZ 527. I am sure a meet is necessary to discuss this rifle further, hopefully be visiting you in 2nd or 3rd week this month.

Topak bro; thanks, used only 100 meters so far of available 1000mtrs range till now so no chance of going to 2000mtrs.