Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Baikal 442 (Makarov PMM) : My review and range Report

Post Baikal 442 (Makarov PMM) : My review and range Report

It has been while that I am looking for a Concealed Carry Hand-Gun, that would be accurate, reliable and with in my budget range. Moreover my love for Makarov has been calling onto me for last ten years since I have sold my Makarov PM. So altogether the need for an accurate CCW having a decent ammo capacity and affection for Makarov made me to buy the Makarov PMM “The Baikal 442”.

First Impression:

At first glance, an overall just average finish wasn’t a surprise at all from Baikal. Attractive features like Compact Size, Excellent Grip, Side Magazine Release Button and 12 Rounds Capacity, these were enough features to make the decision at the spot. I bought it keeping in my mind to expect less in terms of quality and accuracy from a 6.5 inches Budget Pistol.

Specifications:

Weight: 780 g (27.5 oz)
    Height: 127 mm (5 in)
    Total Length: 165 mm (6.49 in)
    Barrel length: 93.5 mm (3.83 in)
    Width Slide: 25 mm (0.98 in)
    Width Frame: 20 mm (0.78 in)
    Width Grip: 38 mm (1.5 in)

Effective range: 50 m (54.7 yd)
    Caliber: 9x18mm Makarov
    Muzzle Velocity: 315 m/s (1033 ft/s)

Structural Assessment:

Name:  R01.JPG
Views: 15350
Size:  86.2 KB

Out of the Box

Name:  R02.JPG
Views: 24953
Size:  81.2 KB

Slide is nicely polished on the sides.

Name:  R03.JPG
Views: 17620
Size:  82.1 KB

Grip (it fits perfect in my hand)

Name:  R04.JPG
Views: 22033
Size:  83.5 KB

Overview

Name:  R05.JPG
Views: 14714
Size:  90.7 KB

Disassembled
    One good thing is its comparatively long barrel (3.83 in) for a 6.5inches handgun.

Name:  R06.JPG
Views: 15895
Size:  92.7 KB

Slide internal view

Name:  R07.JPG
Views: 14181
Size:  86.6 KB

Proof marks and manufactured Year is printed on Slide and Frame.

Name:  R08.JPG
Views: 14815
Size:  84.4 KB

Trigger guard, with a finger groove for easy reach

Last edited by Ameer; 27-09-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun.

Name:  R09.JPG
Views: 13674
Size:  86.1 KB

Slide Release and Magazine Release
    Due to the compact nature of the 442, the thumb can unconsciously be put on the Slide release, after which the slide may not lock after last round. This can be solved, see lower pic.

Name:  R10.JPG
Views: 13959
Size:  85.3 KB

Thumb resting along Grip Groove
    If the thumb is put along the Groove (like in this pic), the slide release button will be free to perform its work at the last round

Name:  R11.JPG
Views: 13686
Size:  90.3 KB

Disassembled Magazine
    Mag has 2 springs (lower bigger n tougher and upper thinner n shorter). Initially the upper spring is pressed to accommodate first 4 bullets as single stack and then the lower tougher spring comes into action for double stack feeding after 4th round.

Range Report:

Name:  Range-one.JPG
Views: 13560
Size:  40.1 KB

First Target A4 Size, Target Specs: Distance: 15 meters
    I was encouraged by the Tight 2inches 5 shot Group from this Just Out of the Box Pistol.

Name:  Range-two.JPG
Views: 13529
Size:  23.4 KB

Second Target A4 Size, Target Specs: 5 inches square with 2 inches internal square. Distance: 15 meters
    I was again encouraged by hitting the Bullseye and 4 tight shot group, so I move back to my Target 1.

Name:  Range-four.JPG
Views: 13319
Size:  31.9 KB

First Target Re-used, Distance: 15 meters
    Bullseye

Name:  Range-three.JPG
Views: 13396
Size:  43.6 KB

Third Target, Distance: 25 meters
    A bit Scattered but again Bullseye

Name:  Range-ammo.JPG
Views: 16944
Size:  88.2 KB

Ammo used S&B 9mm Makarov

Functional Assessment:

1. Accuracy ------------- Superb
    2. Trigger --------------- Below Average
    3. Aiming --------------- Good
    4. Decocker/Safety ---- Below Average
    5. Concealment -------- Superb
    6. Reliability ----------- Good
    7. Overall Handling --- Good

Trigger and Decocker were the worst part of the show, all the time I felt like I am pulling a DAO Handgun. No trigger crisp at all. Trigger didnít soften up to 50 shots. May be the trigger will get good between 300-500 rounds. Decocker was too tight to be used by shooting hand thumb, I have to use my left hand for decocking. Some work needs to be done on Trigger and Decocker. But still I pulled a good result out from even this trigger.

Conclusion:

Baikal-442 is an accurate, reliable concealed carry weapon with a good ammo capacity in a very reasonable price.

nice review Ameer bro...havent fired this gun but found the grip very comfortable....im thinking of having one in future....How was the recoil?

Quote Originally Posted by colt 1911 View Post
    nice review Ameer bro...havent fired this gun but found the grip very comfortable....im thinking of having one in future....How was the recoil?

Thankyou Colt1911 bro for comments and reminding me that i have skipped mentioning about Recoil. For me Recoil was a bit reduced as compared to 9mm para. But not a very fair difference.

Blog Entries
    Great & unbiased review Ameer bro, I am sold to this gun. Will be getting soon one for myself from the market if didnot convince you to part with one of the above two
    Since you used mak pm as well whats your opinion on the size difference? can 442 be put into front pocket of jeans with out being noticed? like I do with mak pm.
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    Great & unbiased review Ameer bro, I am sold to this gun. Will be getting soon one for myself from the market if didnot convince you to part with one of the above two
    Since you used mak pm as well whats your opinion on the size difference? can 442 be put into front pocket of jeans with out being noticed? like I do with mak pm.
    Thankyou sir, appreciations form seniors is very much needed. Makarov PM is more concealable than 442, i have put this Baikal-442 in my Levis front pocket but i wasn't comfortable with it, both for hassle free walking and concealment. And all this was due to its thicker grips and this thicker grip is inturn to accommodate the double stack magazine. Makarov PM is better in it. Baikal-442 grips may give it edge in shooting.

regards

AMEER BHAI thanks for very nice review. At last u took the lead :-)

Enthusiast
    Congratulation for this purchase.Your review is very crisp and to the actual point.Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Syed View Post
    AMEER BHAI thanks for very nice review. At last u took the lead :-)
    Yes at last i did it, I was very curious about the performance of this version of Makarov. AlhamdUllah now i am satisfied with purchase. And thankyou Syed bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Hunter View Post
    Congratulation for this purchase.Your review is very crisp and to the actual point.Good luck.
    Thankyou Bro for nice comments.

Thanks brother for sharing your experience.

Fabulous review on a fabulous handgun. Makarov be it pm or pmm will always be my favourite

Good to see that at P G the member's are now trained in reviewing there arm's very well.
    Ameer bro well done nicely said and great photography
    Always Believe in GOD............. Because......... There are some Questions in Grave That can not be Answerd by GOOGLE.

Blog Entries
    @Ameer............Excellent, non-biased, superb and perfect review above, loved the simple yet all covering style. Great!

Well, before the Rami, I was really double minded between these two and had eyed this one right from the very first few days that it was introduced, starting in Peshawar.

Maks, whether new or older versions, always have a soft corner in the hearts of gunners, no doubts.

Could you kindly give bit of comparison as to width of grip when compared with a Stoeger, just for a reference, since Stoeger grips are considered a bit wide for small to medium hands??

Excellent shots, both with cam and gun! Keep it up.

Regards.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Quote Originally Posted by 7 MM View Post
    Thanks brother for sharing your experience.
    Many thanks Sir

Quote Originally Posted by Amayed View Post
    Fabulous review on a fabulous handgun. Makarov be it pm or pmm will always be my favourite
    Yeh of course a fabulous gun in every aspect. Thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by M.ASIF KHAN View Post
    Good to see that at P G the member's are now trained in reviewing there arm's very well.
    Ameer bro well done nicely said and great photography
    Thankyou for nice comments regarding thread and photography.

Blog Entries
    PS! I beg pardon for off-tracking Ameer's superb thread here, but find it a bit of relevance to ask Mods:

Plz arrange a separate sub-section for REVIEWS only, say one for handguns, one for shotguns/rifles and transfer the growing number of review threads to these for easier navigation of desired info. Thanks.

Let's move on, pardon the off topic.

Regards.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    @Ameer............Excellent, non-biased, superb and perfect review above, loved the simple yet all covering style. Great!

Well, before the Rami, I was really double minded between these two and had eyed this one right from the very first few days that it was introduced, starting in Peshawar.

Maks, whether new or older versions, always have a soft corner in the hearts of gunners, no doubts.

Could you kindly give bit of comparison as to width of grip when compared with a Stoeger, just for a reference, since Stoeger grips are considered a bit wide for small to medium hands??

Excellent shots, both with cam and gun! Keep it up.

Regards.
    Appreciations from the seniors is a simple way of motivation for us (juniors), THANK YOU Sir. I will cover the comparison between Stoeger and Baikal-442 inshAllah. And yes the for me, this buy was based on soft corner for this gun.
    Last edited by Ameer; 28-09-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    PS! I beg pardon for off-tracking Ameer's superb thread here, but find it a bit of relevance to ask Mods:

Plz arrange a separate sub-section for REVIEWS only, say one for handguns, one for shotguns/rifles and transfer the growing number of review threads to these for easier navigation of desired info. Thanks.

Let's move on, pardon the off topic.

Regards.
    i second sir AK's opinion

Very nice and useful review Mr.Ameer thanks for adding to our knowledge and also thanks for taking out time from your routine to post a review in detail about the much discussed and talked about baikal 442.

Quote Originally Posted by colt 1911 View Post
    i second sir AK's opinion
    Me three sirs.