Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Brno .22 LR

Blog Entries

Review: Brno .22 LR

Salams, I had this rifle for a few years now but never got around to shooting it much. Bought it, scoped it, fired a few casual rounds and stored it. Came across it again and thought it'd be a nice break from handgun shooting.

At first a little intro, most of the Brno .22 LR guns were imported in the late 80's and early 90's. Without going into long details CZ and Brno are more or less the same.

Name:  Brno1.jpg
Views: 8056
Size:  67.6 KB
    Name:  Brno6.jpg
Views: 9030
Size:  81.2 KB
    Name:  Brno7.jpg
Views: 7343
Size:  66.0 KB
    Name:  Brno2.jpg
Views: 7225
Size:  84.8 KB
    Name:  Brno4.jpg
Views: 7257
Size:  94.5 KB
    Name:  Brno5.jpg
Views: 7090
Size:  97.4 KB
    Name:  Brno3.jpg
Views: 7143
Size:  32.4 KB

Holding the rifle, I was quite impressed with the weight, it's very manageable and not heavy at all. Any 14 year old could carry it around all day long. The wood stock has fantastic finishing for a sub Rs. 50,000 rifle. It comes with a single 5 shot magazine although a 6th round can be loaded manually in the chamber. The bolt action is remarkably smooth and the trigger has a little creep but it's very predictable and pull is excellent. The trigger pull at 4.5 pounds won't disappoint or spoil your shot.

My gun is a 1989 year of manufacture. It literally shot it's first round 20 years after it was built and the out of box accuracy is astonishing! Since I bought it to be a 'fun gun' and a plinker rather than anything else I put a cheapo Rs. 8,000 Bushnell Sportsman Scope on it.

I expected zeroing the scope to be a pain but it was a most entertaining experience. A few hours and 200 rounds later, I was quite happy with the results.

Blog Entries
    I took the Brno out on a one day stand kinda outing. I thought I would shoot a few hundred rounds though it, zero the gun, clean it and back into the closet it goes but the results it started giving me me it take it to the range twice more.

Day 3 and about 500 rounds shot total in three days. Targets are all at 50 Meters. On both targets 35 rounds each were fired.

Name:  Brno10.jpg
Views: 6965
Size:  93.5 KB
    Name:  Brno11.jpg
Views: 6956
Size:  67.5 KB
    Name:  Brno8.jpg
Views: 6942
Size:  65.8 KB

Usually when you shoot targets like the ones above there is almost always no one there to witness. Luckily it was a Sunday and atleast ten friends were present

I was completely astonished ! One inch groups at 50 Meters is phenomenal accuracy. I'm sure if we had a rifle rest this gun is fully capable of giving half inch groups at 50 metes.

Since this is known more as a hunting gun rather than a target shooting gun (I wonder why) I wanted to see what kind of performance a .22 LR hollow point would give at 50 M. I put a glass bottle of Sprite below my target and shot at it, it exploded ! Did not break, did not shatter, it EXPLODED!

Name:  Brno12.jpg
Views: 6930
Size:  97.8 KB

I would not like to be on the receiving end of a .22 hollow point. We tried to make video to share with you guys but it turned out very hazy. Any Rabbit/Hare sized game within 100 Meters is very easy with this gun. It is indeed one of the most value for money guns one can buy.

Verdict: If you find the Brno .22 anywhere, pick it up instantly. This is a must have for any one of any age and any kind of shooter.

Name:  Brno9.jpg
Views: 7840
Size:  47.0 KB

Being Big & Sexy... I am anywhere I wanna be
    Salam All,
    Wonderful shooting, a request please, kindly refrain from shooting at glass bottles or for that fact plastic, I don't recommend it. Again wonderful groupings, I KNOW you can do even better at longer distances with this.... So challenge yourself to longer distances for shooting with this wonderful rifle.
    \"In a world of compromise... Some Don\'t!\" Heckler & Koch

\"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.\" Bill of Rights - 2 Amendment of the Constitution of U.S.

Enthusiast
    excellent review

these days im lookin for .22 rifle

Blog Entries
    very accurate gun.if you want more thrill, you should go for Boar hunt with this beauty.
    La Fortune Sourit aux Audacieux

Bro,

Very interesting and informative review/range test as always.You are absolutely right about its accuracy, it is any hunters desire.I have shot with this rifle and it is superb.Though it was back in the 60,s.The shape and looks are pretty much the same. This one is for keeps for sure.

Mehdi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Topak View Post
    very accurate gun.if you want more thrill, you should go for Boar hunt with this beauty.
    You must be kidding or have a score to settle with OP

Both the gun and man behind are excellent. As well as photography is.
    All That Is Necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing!

I wonder what Abass bhai would do with Anschutz .22lr + Leupold scope (as far as I remember, he used to have one), true match for each other.
    All That Is Necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing!

Rookie
    Just One word. EXCELLENT.

Nice review Abbas Bhai.
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun.

A.O.A, fantastic shooting. Dear You not only shoots well but also utilizes it in a true Gun enthusiast manner. Keep it up. A.H
    A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart and wins with his character.

Great review and amazing rifle Abbas bahi , i mean the condition of your rifle is just amazing and that of 89 model it is astonishing that you are the first user of the weapon , its a real keeper .
    As of the rifle i see its a Mode 2E model , which is with any doubt the best available rifle in its budget class not only that it also is better then some of higher budget .22 rifles .

PakGuns Photographer Moderator! Naveed_pk's Avatar
    Excellent review Abbas bhai the target results is simply awesome . Now the new itch has been started !
    "It's better to have firearm and not need it than to need one and not have it."

I also have same model Brno and I am using with out rifle scope can some body guide about the results with chinese scope available in local Lahore nila gunbad mkt

I am the 22LR preacher. If you don't own one or never shot a 22LR, you are missing the fun in this sport. Go out and buy one. BRNO and CZ are top-notch rifles.
    @Abbas,
    I noticed removal of the classy rear sight ramp to accommodate the scope. Why not a high scope mount and still retain the original ramp?
    Last edited by PakistanFirst; 15-09-2011 at 03:23 AM.
    22LR Diameter: bullet .223", neck @ case mouth .224", base .225", rim .275". Length: case .595", cartridge overall .975"

I too have a Brno Model 2, one thing i wanted to ask was that the rail on the rifle is approximately 14mm to 15mm wide as a result of which the standard dove tail mounts are too narrow and do not fit whereas the weaver type mounts are too wide for the rail. After searching on the internet i found out that' Warne ' makes mounts for these rifles. Does anyone know from where and how much can i get 1 inch mounts for this rifle in Karachi ?

Regards,
    Saad

Nice review Abbas bhai, and awsome shooting, very nice gun. One question, is semi auto .22lr as accurate as the bolt action?

PakGuns Expert Panel
    Excellent shooting. The vertical stringing of the second group made it bigger; for some reason either an improper rest or some other bug caused it. The horizontal spread is a bit over 1/4 inch; I am sure you could have have easily made under half inch groups with this darling of a rifle.
    The CZ Brno Rifles were imported first in early 60s, my father bought me one in 1963 for a princely sum of Rs 495/- from A. Hameed & Co Tollinton market The Mall.
    JU