Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft nose vs Nosler Ballistic tip hunting cartridge

Soft nose vs Nosler Ballistic tip hunting cartridge

Dear Senior Hunters.
    I would like you all to please explain and compare a soft nose tip bullet with a Nosler ballistic tip. I have heard that good things said about the Nosler one's are all marketing gimmicks.
    Please explain which one is better for hunting and WHY?

You are comparing a round nosed soft point with a pointed ballistic tip, brother. Comparison nahin banta. Comparison is valid in bw:
    Pointed Soft Nose Vs Pointed Silver Tip Vs Pointed Ballistic Tip

Mainly trajectory is flatter with last one being the flattest of the bullets. I have shot with first two and even round nosed (above), AND Ballistic Coefficient is highest with the last one, therefore flatter trajectory.

Two of best bullets : Ballistic Tip & Boat Tailed Pointed one (either silver tip or other).

Please give your own opinion.
    Last edited by francolino; 29-07-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Bullets are designed for certain game in mind. Round nose soft point bullets are usually for thick skinned animals with an objective of moderate expansion and maximum penetration. While ballistic tip bullets are for thin skin animal for quick mushroom shape expansion with maximum tissue damage.

Obviously velocities and trajectory is dependent of type of load and weight of bullet. So, as francolino said, any two bullets can not be compared. Bullet has to be chosen by keeping the hunt in mind. Over bullet may not be as bad as finding oneself as under bulleted. Sure don't wanna be in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by francolino View Post
    You are comparing a round nosed soft point with a pointed ballistic tip, brother. Comparison nahin banta. Comparison is valid in bw:
    Pointed Soft Nose Vs Pointed Silver Tip Vs Pointed Ballistic Tip

Mainly trajectory is flatter with last one being the flattest of the bullets. I have shot with first two and even round nosed (above), AND Ballistic Coefficient is highest with the last one, therefore flatter trajectory.

Two of best bullets : Ballistic Tip & Boat Tailed Pointed one (either silver tip or other).

Please give your own opinion.
    Wah Francolino sahab wah.. You can ask for comparison between optima choke and mobil choke and my asking of comparison between soft nose and ballistic tip is nahin banta.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakar View Post
    Wah Francolino sahab wah.. You can ask for comparison between optima choke and mobil choke and my asking of comparison between soft nose and ballistic tip is nahin banta.
    You took it in a serious tone. Objective of saying that was: One has to compare Apples to Apples and Oranges to Oranges.

Brother, round nosed soft nosed 175 grain bullet picture you have pasted above (left), and on other hand, pointed one 140-150 grain bullet with ballistic tip (center).... the Ballistic Coefficients are way different between these two. Comparison in between two similar (POINTED) bullets, one in center & other one on right, is more of a relevant comparison in my view.

And since Berettas have claimed the Optimabore/Optimachoke as an improvement on the Mobilbore /Mobilchoke, comparison to unheen ka banta hai

... Neverthless, take it easy! And do share with us your experience with your new Optimabore gun whenever you have time.
    Last edited by francolino; 30-07-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Dear francolino bro.. I did not take it seriously.. just don't know how to add those smileys (faces) with my message. It was a humorous taaana..

Sir if you can read my question in the first post, I wanted to ask which one is a better choice to go hunting with. ( specially Ibex and Urial )

Also please try answer my other query in the '' extra chokes'' thread. Thanks

Oh, I get it. Will chk it out. And when are you sharing with us your patterning experiences with your new gr8 semi-auto which happens to be my favorite too?

Certainly the best is any pointed soft point. POINTED Ballistic Silver Tip or Ballistic Tip (red one above) or Boat-tailed Pointed Soft Point - all are gr8 - with flattest trajectories and maximum Ballistic Coeff's. But not the round nosed ones (CERTAINLY) as they are for closer ranges & larger/tougher animals like Bluebull and Wild Boar. I have fantastic results with .270 Win with Ballistic Silver Tip. All three above (if available) are the best ones for mountain hunting as longer shots are required many of the times.

francolino bro.. I don't have a Beretta mobil choke shotgun. Will try to get my hands on a friend's piece and then go pattern hunting. Thank you for the explaination.
    One more thing, how much a piece should be Federal 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip 308.

@Kakar bhai, I am already using two Mobil guns since 1997, so I have a fair idea of its patterns, but I was talking about your A400 Xplor Unico. It has Opt Plus HP chokes and thats what I was interested to find, how well it throws patterns. Precisely, what difference was there in bw Mobil and optima Plus HP thing w.r.t patterns.

No idea abt 308 bullets. I use different calibers and brands.

francolino bhai.. A400 does not have Optima plus HP. It is Optima HP (High performance).
    Beretta has made this so difficult, since 2003 ( not sure ) they first moved to Optima bore from mobil. Then they made the Optima Plus with thicker walls than the optima as according to them the optima could not stand a lot of steel shot abuse. Finally they ended up improving the Optima plus to Optima HP by reducing the length of the inner choke screws and stating that this new invention can take any amount of abuse and at the same time improve the shot patterns.
    I have held several disscussions with the very most senior shotgunners at different international forums and the most experienced one's state that the statement of improved patterns is all marketing gimmicks.

By the way why don't you compare my pattern tests in the ''A400 review '' with your's.

Yes, Opt HP it is in A400. Opt Plus was in Urika2 field which is a very popular model too (price vs function vs looks - all in its Gold version). Opt HP or Opt Plus or Opt - all are same in terms of patterning advantages (claimed) by Beretta i.e. elongated chokes and over-bored barrels. As I am also a Beretta fan (since long in 1997 when I first bought one), I have a thorough study on it like you too; I dont claim to be any expert though. I have not been able to reach a conclusion about patterning advantages of Mobil over Optima or vice versa, unless and until same constriction choke (e.g. IC) & same cartridge (e.g. #8 Shaheen) is patterned at SAME distance. For that, I will be going to pattern at 30 and 35 yds distance with Shaheen #8 (regular as well as Super) with same choke i.e. Imp Cyl, as IC choke is enough for these distances with LEAD cartridges that we use. Americans have whole different ball game due to banning of lead shell. And therefore, there analysis are not wholely applicable for us. We need to make our own calculations and findings, based on our shotshells. Thus I will post the charts as I am through with them. If you can do the same with A400 (Opt HP), it would be a relevant & helpful comparison.

I can do the pattern test but A400 does not come with an IC choke. It has a cylinder choke. What do you say?

Yes, I forgot the factory chokes with A400 are Cyl, Mod, Full. Then lets make it:

(i) Mod choke only
    (ii) Distance 30 yds AND 35 yds
    (iii) #8 Shaheen Regular 31 grams cartridge AND Shaheen Super #8 in 36 grams load

Total 4 charts needed......
    Comb 1: Mod choke, 30yds, #8 reg
    Comb 2: Mod choke, 30 yds, #8 super
    Comb 3: Mod choke, 35 yds, #8 reg
    Comb 4: Mod choke, 35 yds, #8 super

Roger................

What method of making a circle would be best. My suggestion and an expert old shooter at forum Skeeter60's suggestion is to make a circle of 30" after the shot has been fired, around the densest portion of the shot pattern; because if we have different methods on this (e.g. a pre-drawn circle) the results would vary due to off placement of shot by shooter's individual error or slight jerk. Hence, on blank chart, only a small black center bullseye should be visible before firing. So lets go with this method.

Sir, post firing drawn circle is the only method. That too should be made with patience and measurements.
    First get a big chart paper ( not the normal size ) that can take a 30'' diameter circle. I last bought it for Rs 45 approx.

Then fire a shot at the centre of the blank sheet. Walk to the target and confirm if the shot placement is correct i.e you got almost all the shots on the target. If you see wrong shot placement i.e some pellets are gone outside the chart then throw away that chart and repeat again till you get the right sample.

Next you make a compass of 30'' diameter with two wood sticks and attaching a pen marker to one of the hands ( it can be made in 5 minutes with wood sticks ,nails and thin iron wires)

Then put the chart on a big table and first calculate where would most of the shots fall and then
    make a circle.

This is how we both should do it.

Mods are requested to shift the above few posts to the relevant thread. Inconvenience regretted.

Thanks. Thats good info.
    Last edited by francolino; 31-07-2011 at 03:31 PM.

PakGuns Expert Panel
    Dear Members,

In my opinion their is not much difference in the trajectory if one is not shooting beyond 300 yards.

PakGuns Expert Panel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakar View Post
    Dear Senior Hunters.
    I would like you all to please explain and compare a soft nose tip bullet with a Nosler ballistic tip. I have heard that good things said about the Nosler one's are all marketing gimmicks.
    Please explain which one is better for hunting and WHY?

In my humble opinion both bullets ar good.The Terminal ballistics as well as the External Ballistics are different in both cases. If both bullets are of the same weight then the BC of the Ballistic Tip will be higher resulting in flatter trajectory and better wind deflection.
    The bullet you have chosen is a Round Nose which has a lower BC than a Semi Spitzer or semi round nose or pointed /spitzer bullets.
    How ever the terminal ballistics of Round Nose Flat base bullets are generally accepted as better on thick skinned and hard boned animals which are bigger in size.
    The Ballistic Tip Bullets ruin too much meat as they expand violently,( this so because the Ballistic Tip bullets are basically hollow point bullets with a poly Carbonate Tip which is designed to give a better BC and also to initiate violent expansion on penetration ) where as the Round Nose Flat Base Bullets penetrate deeper without too much damage to meat. Please NOTE this is relevant to animal size and the Caliber you are using, at Non magnum Velocities the differences will not be significant.

Some great info about hunting bullets by @Skeeter60 sir.

- PSP (Pointed Soft Pt)
    - Ballistic Silver Tip (is it hollow pt like nosler ballistic tip above)
    - Boat tailed PSP

For Wild Boar, Hog Deer, Blue Bull, Urial, Himalayan Ibex, Chinkara .... these 6 main rifle hunting species here, what type(s) of bullet(s) would be best .... round nosed, PSP, silver tip, nosler ballistic tip, boat tail etc?? And grains??