Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting The Most Out Of Your Baikal O/U Shotgun- Part 2

12gauge you could have used wooden hammer!! but bro you have a heart of steel!!
    "I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"

Quote Originally Posted by SalmanHusain View Post
    12gauge you could have used wooden hammer!! but bro you have a heart of steel!!
    Bro, you are right, tried with a wooden hammer but the bushing just wouldn't budge and would not go in the undersized hole that I drilled. thats why I had to resort to a metal hammer. every precaution was taken before proceeding. just to give you an idea on how much force was required to seat the bushing:

Imagine: hammering a steel nail to a concrete wall.

Regards.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

A.O.A, Great, I knew you are up to some thing. That was one perfect, nicely crafted up-gradation. To be true I couldn't comment on this feature of a shotgun or have any questions about this improvement because I am at learning stage to shoot , may be at a later stage I will be able to ask for your help in this regard. Yes it was a daring project but than again One has to break eggs to make an omlate.Thanks for sharing and regards.

Dear do you have any idea How to generate Electricity, which I'm sure u have, please pass it on to concerned authorities.
    that would be a great favor to this nation as I am sick of power failures.
    Last edited by Sami; 08-07-2011 at 08:29 PM.
    A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart and wins with his character.

Member Emeritus
    Marvellous work done there.. thats simply great.. this shows your professionalism 12GAUGE brother.. keep it up.

Member Extraordinaire
    @12ga so well done,you are moving in right direction.also you left behind the iqbal mistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hanif Malik View Post
    @12ga so well done,you are moving in right direction.also you left behind the iqbal mistry.
    thank you for the kind words dr. sahib. but iqbal sb. is a true professional, somebody I can never compete with.

Regards.

Blog Entries
    Simply awesome. Great work.

@12Gauge

Bravo brother, I must say Person having strong nerves to do this job.

Regards.
    "Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." (John Dean "Jeff" Cooper - May 10, 1920 - September 25, 2006)

Bro, can i call u "Doctor 12 Gauge" from now on?
    Brother-In-Arms

Very nice work...Weldon.
    I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted.

The adjustable comb hardware like these saves a lot of CHISEL+HAMMER WORK

Will try to upload image.
    Last edited by Mian-50; 08-07-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Nice project 12guage. It has been a long time since we planned anything destructive/constructive with our guns. Well it was a risk worth taking. You need to have guts to play with the wood of your gun. Let's see if a B-gun owner likes to play with the expensive wood of his gun.
    It is always the empty gun which kills.
    www.gondals.blogspot.com

Adjustable comb hardware.

Requires 25-mm Dia Drill cutter only.(Made in LAHORE).

Quote Originally Posted by Mian-50 View Post
    Nice sharing,...
    I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted.

@Mian-50

Sir, this design was in my mind but I had to drop it and go for rectangular plate design. talked to a few professional stock makers (foreigners) and they were all of the view that a single rectangular design is inherently a more stable (and sturdy) platform for a device which is going to experience a lot of shocks when compared to a design consisting of two circular discs.

one more thing, how much does your device weigh? what material is it made out of? and it seems that machining leaves alot to be desired. in other words, the workmanship is not so great.

in my case, the rectangular plate + bushing + posts are aluminum. the total weight of the device is 50 grams.

Regards.
    Last edited by 12GAUGE; 09-07-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Brother 12-gauge,

Circular discs weigh 25-grams more than yours,but the cutter I purchased for
    inletting holes for above did excellent job to remove excessive wood by inducing
    another hole underneath the MAIN BOLT hole.

Yes, I agree with the quality of finish,but it saves you a lot of WOOD INLETTING
    time.Once imbedded into the wood then who cares to see the finish,instead more
    important should be the smooth operation of this hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Mian-50 View Post
    Brother 12-gauge,

Circular discs weigh 25-grams more than yours,but the cutter I purchased for
    inletting holes for above did excellent job to remove excessive wood by inducing
    another hole underneath the MAIN BOLT hole.

Yes, I agree with the quality of finish,but it saves you a lot of WOOD INLETTING
    time.Once imbedded into the wood then who cares to see the finish,instead more
    important should be the smooth operation of this hardware.
    sir from the pics your device looks more like its made of Mild Steel. if that is the case then it should weigh alot more than just 25 grams. upside is that it should be alot stronger then the one that I used. downside is that it could potentially upset the balance of the shotgun.

since your device is a two part solution, one can mount it on a variety of shotguns with different stock measurement however this freedom comes at a price of sturdiness. since its a two part solution, each part must bear recoil forces. once after another. and if they are absolutely zero with each other. this device can loosen up over time. here a single rectangular device definitely offers more benefits. its a single unit, the whole unit behaves (or reacts) the same under recoil forces.

about the wood inletting, you are right, drilling a round hole (flat bottom) hole using wood cutter drill is easier. atleast in theory. if you ask me, inletting may be more time consuming job but it is definitely fool proof. however if the holes that you are drilling are off just by 1 millimeter, your comb will not slide up and down with ease. whereas in case of a single rectangle plate, if its off, no problem cause its off as a whole assembly/unit, it will never effect anything else.

then there is concern for vibrations and its effects on any wood to metal bonding. if the circular disc is 1 inch in diameter and your wood cutter drill is also 1 inch in diameter (both measurement being exact is impossible by the way). how will you make sure that device fits snug. whereas in case of inletting, you can control how much of clearance you want to give. tighter fitting ensure that vibrations do not cause the screws to come loose. ofcourse they will eventually cause its wood, but once can atleast ensure a longer trouble free period this way.

overall I feel that we can further improve upon this design, I have one the paper at the moment. this time, i'm employing a V-Cam with one single post.

Regards.

AoA Everybody

went to the range today and tried adjusting the comb to get a 60/40 pattern at 16 yards. why 16 yards? so that I could easily calculate how much the comb needs to be moved. for every inch the pattern was to be off, I was supposed to move the comb to 1/16 inch to compensate.

for example: if the point of impact is off by four inches, I am supposed to move the comb by 4/16 inches.

anyways, here is the result:

now there is something which has bothered me. I should have stamped some lines on the post and the comb to visually know how much the comb has moved in any direction after adjusting. since I did not stamp in any such lines during fabrication, there was no way of knowing how much the comb has moved. for large movements it was ok, but for small/tiny movements it was very difficult knowing that the posts have moved at all or not. similarly since there were no lines on the posts or the rectangular base plate there was no way of judging minute changes required in cast. for large movements it was ok but for minute changes it was very difficult. I was either moving it too less or moving it too much. I SHOULD HAVE STAMPED SOME LINES ON IT FOR REFERENCE. but anyways, the process of adjusting took a little longer than I thought due to absence of the lines. it was still fun at the end of the day.

Regards.

Brother 12-gauge,

I used both designs CIRCULAR DISCS and RECTANGULAR ones in fact latter one was
    casted in Aluminum Alloy from PERAZZI'S original TRAP Shotgun.

But now I have moved to one stage up which is JOINTING A WHOLE NEW WOOD BLANK
    FROM GRIP TO REAR,

Still working to get one right.
    Last edited by Mian-50; 10-07-2011 at 05:10 AM.