Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Dan Wesson Valor .45 ACP

Blog Entries

Review: Dan Wesson Valor .45 ACP

Salams,

I recently bought a Dan Wesson Valor (Bobtail Commander), which is probably the best production 1911 money can buy.

The gun true to the 1911 heritage is in .45 ACP, has grip and external safeties, Trijicon 'Straight 8' night sights and awesome looking G 10 grips. Calling this a production gun is almost an insult, everything about it is custom / hand built. The slide to frame / barrel / bushing fitting is so tight and perfect that it took me the better part of an hour disassemble and reassemble it. The machining is simply outstanding.

Holding the gun for the first time the word that comes to mind is quality. It feels solid and if I might say extremely badass. I've been around guns all my life but only when handling the Valor I understood the feeling criminals must feel when holding a gun for the first time, 'Empowerment'. You know a weapon is special when it makes you feel something other than just wanting it.

The tech specs: Made of Forged Stainless Steel with a 4.3 inch Match grade barrel, two high quality 'CheckMate' 8 rounds mags, weighing around 2.2 lbs (1000g) and with the amazing DUTY finish. The trigger is adjustable and around 4.5 pounds from the factory.

Now for some pictures:

Blog Entries
    Following are some comparative pics with the Taurus 1911 which is our benchmark for 1911's here in Pakistan.

My PT1911 is a full framed 1911 with a 5 inch barrel while the Valor is a Commander model which basically has a shorter barrel length for easier carry.

In my opinion there is no comparison in quality between these two guns. The DW is in another class altogether. A decent comparison would be with other 1911 names like Kimber or perhaps even Les Baer.

Since this is a carry gun rather than a range gun what really makes it stand out is the DUTY or Ceramic coating on the stainless steel frame/slide. It is very scratch resistant and although I would not like to experiment on my piece this link http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-duty-coating/ should make things clear.

Blog Entries
    Shooting the Valor:

I couldn't wait for range day to shoot the DW. Bought 300 rounds of different makes to test it.

Loaded the mags, racked the slide to chamber the round, the gun felt even better. Fired it and went "****", but then I'm not much of a .45 fan. My targets were not post worthy and asked Starfish, Anthrax and Omer Butt to shoot the gun for posting. All shot the crap out of the targets at 15 M. Groups were everywhere. Thanks guys, making me look bad

Targets below:

The gun itself is fabulous and extremely accurate. It is a pure carry gun with does not disappoint come range day. None of the guys who shot this gun had any issues with it, I did however have some observations.

1). The grip chequring is too aggressive for me at 25 LPI. I would have preferred it at something like 30 or 35. The gun is very grippy indeed with the 25 but made my hands feel like cheese through a grater after 30 rounds.

2). The trigger sort of bites your fingertip. Each shot felt like a pin prick.

3). The recoil is substantial, so much so that after firing the first 5 shots everyone was shooting atleast 2/3 inches from the center.

4). Trigger although at 4 / 4.5 has a very slight creep in it. I would love no creep and would not mind predictable creep but the way it breaks, I did not like 100 %.

I tried a misfit Houge over the grips to see if it helped improve shooting and it did but the trigger still bit.

I have shot upto 1500 rounds in a day but never have I had swollen fingers, the DW is the only gun to make my hands and fingertip in particular to swell and hurt for more than 24 hours. One might compare it to a rug burn, it hurts but you're happy why you got it

I would like to say that all of the other friends who fired it did not experience any of the above except more recoil but then this is not a range gun, it is a pure thoroughbred combat handgun which allows you to shoot two or three mags at the the range now and then.

Verdict: An absolute prize for anyone who likes to carry .45's and the full length Valor is the best 1911 around, period.

Congratulations Abbas Bhai very very good & nice purchase & wonderful photography too. Thanks for sharing.
    The Coward dies a thousand deaths, the Valiant, only once!

Excellent Review Abbas brother.

Since I've shot this Valor for a few times at the range, I have something to say;

This work of "Art" is capable of nothing but 10s. It's one of the most complete .45's that I've ever held and I've had experiences with quite a few. What a treat it is to shoot this weapon. Freakishly accurate, amazingly solid and what a natural point of aim and feel this gun has. For me, it is the ultimate carry .45 and nothing comes close.

Compare it with any other commander size 1911 in its class and I'm sure this'll win
    hands down. Damn you, National traders, please stop already! Safe to say there's a piggy bank around my room now labelled "Valor"
    Criminals are the biggest advocates of Gun-Control. When it's in place, they have the gun and they're in control.

Congratulations Abbas on the new Toy
    Yet another beautiful review with spicy pictures.
    A Good friend & Gun ALWAYS helps you in Need !

Member Extraordinaire
    Congratulations Abbas . After a long time u r back with a great weapon and a nice review . To help members decide merits and demerits

Blog Entries
    Waoo was waiting one of the two to come forward with review, thanks Abbas bro for taking the lead.
    By the way all your 4 shooting observations are negative, do you think pt1911 exceeds Dan Wesson atleast in these 4 traits
    Secondly I noticed they used smaller guide rod where as pt1911 has fuller, did you feel any difference in recoil, muzzle flip than a pt1911? waisay I am sure this shorter guide rod is quite a pain in the neck while assembling the gun
    And you again forgot to tell the dollar side of the story.
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Blog Entries
    @Huzaifa, Anthrax, Ka_Khan, Dr. Zakir and Denovo. Thank you very much.

@Denovo Lol. The assembly is a pain the back the first few times but now have mastered it in under 10 mins The funny scene was at the range when me, Skeeter sahib, Starfish and Anthrax disassembled it to grease the slide and it took the four of us about 15 minutes to put it back together again. It's not so much the guide rod as it is the super tight bushing/fitting.

As far as the muzzle flip and the recoil, they are not that great if you compare it with an mobile rocket launcher.

The price is Rs. 230,000.

Btw you mentioned one of the two, who else got one ? Would appreciate their input as well.

Blog Entries
    Congrats! Long awaited beauty to hit the boards here. Excellent acquisition, and I guess you've been smirking long way with it, lolz! My guess was 225K's, so pretty close. Though grips are outstanding, I'm sure, you'll find some better for the comfort, and I personally have exactly the same feeling of discomfort with Glock's hard chequering. Your accuracy will come with better gripping comfort, I'm sure, and further breaking in, but that darn trigger is almost felt all the way up here. Thanks for merits/demerits and objective review, now console us PT users a bit, Denovo bro is already asking, lolz! Regards.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

AK and Danny brothers, PT review; ETA: One week

Waiting for it to complete its 500 round count. 400 is the round count at the moment.
    Last edited by Anthrax; 20-06-2011 at 01:47 AM.
    Criminals are the biggest advocates of Gun-Control. When it's in place, they have the gun and they're in control.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
    AK and Danny brothers, PT review; ETA: One week

Waiting for it to complete its 500 round count. 400 is the round count at the moment.
    Smoke the last 100 rounds this week and post it asap, Dan Wesson ITCH already started apearing so need heavy dose of PT1911 review for a complete cure
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

AoA Abbas Bhai

Congratulations for your new handgun and a wonderful review as always. I have one if you allow me:

1. does the sight difference in grip (cut in the lower end of the frame) offer any benefits over the regular straight grip frame? I believe its called bobtail or something like that.

Regards.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Beautiful piece mate! My Heartiest Congrats to you. And a very refined review as always.

Regards

Blog Entries
    Congrats for new purchase, the monster looks very accurate.
    good thing is that we have one more 1911 in country along with taurus and norinco's.
    La Fortune Sourit aux Audacieux

Congratulations for another beautiful gun! The pictures are beautiful and really enticing!
    ''O, it is excellent to have a giant's strength, but it is tyrannous to use it like a giant.''

Salam Every1,
    First of all, congrats on the very very nice gun Abbas Bhai. This is one of the nicest Commanders I've ever seen.

@12Gauge Bro, I know you're a senior and have way more experience than me, but I hope you dont mind me answering your question... the cut is for the purpose that the gun's frame doesn't print on your shirt when carrying this gun concealed IWB.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

PakGuns Photographer Moderator! Naveed_pk's Avatar
    Congrats Abbas bhai for acquiring the new Toy The Review is simply awesome !
    Also i would like to add regarding its availabilty : Only available at National arms ( Fakhre Alam ) Neela Gumbad lahore
    Hope dealer have not read this review otherwise every one knows what will happen next !
    "It's better to have firearm and not need it than to need one and not have it."

With a list price of $1977 in the U.S and Rs 225,000 here! What a deal!!

regards

Member Emeritus
    Very nice review as usual of a great gun Chief.. saw this beauty few days back with a dealer for 225K.. but I noticed one thing.. the slide didn't stop back after racking it with one magazine inserted, while it stops with the other magazine, means that the slide wouldn,t stop back after the last round being fired through it with one magazine, while it stops after the last round fired with the second magazine.. now is it a flaw or is it normal, because the dealer told me its normal.. Another guy sitting there told me he has a Colt 1911 Commander and the same thing happens to him as well & its normal.

Did you experience such thing in your Valor ?? If yes can you give us the reason for it.
    Last edited by Aquarius; 20-06-2011 at 09:50 PM.