Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Francolin - The most favorite game bird of Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by Madham View Post
    Francolino brother, my experience with Dhakani and black is dhakani pair both male and female both attack the black pair as soon as they come anywhere near. but i agree with Avais sab that dhakanis can co exist with larger domesticated birds like chicken but black can't as they are of very shy nature.
    Thank you for your reply @Madham.

Quote Originally Posted by Topak View Post
    Dear Francolino ..... Hunters using tape recorder for such purpose here as you know, but its illegal, immoral and against the spirit of game to use. i place the electronic call in the same category as tape recorder.
    Alright bro. Thanks for your input.

Blog Entries
    Welcome BRO,
    La Fortune Sourit aux Audacieux

nearly two years back, i saw a very interesting method of hunting partridge . we all friends went to hunt them in early hours of the day but after hectic efforts, we could take 3 of them only thus returned unhappy to where we reside. one of our local friends suggested to hunt partridge using a different hunting method which they call as " geroo" locally. my local friends termed that method to be the most effective method for hunting partridges . i never hunted like that or heard that method and was much curious to learn about it . one of our local friends went to bring that much awaited tool of hunting they call as "Geroo" when he returned, he brought a thing that we can call a tool of camouflage for the understanding. there were two bamboos ( baans) of moderate size , given the shape of an " X " by tieing them up at the middle with rope and it was covered with a sheet of cloth of camel colour ( locally called as " geroo colour " ) so it became a shield like structure. there was an other sheet of same colour tied up with the upper parts of that shield or X like structure whish used to cover the hunter from back side. on the front side of that GEROO or X like shield, picture of a lion , with red eyes was made with black paint with a hole at the place of opened mouth , which was at the center of that X like shield to see , aim and shoot the gun. we took that geroo to the shrubs and bushes , . an experienced geroo hunter took me along wth him to hunt a nd we just got hidden in that shield,, slowly we advanced and i was surprised to see the partridges coming out of bushes and shrubs raising alarming sounds to warn each other regarding presence of a horrifying animal / beast in their area. i also saw that it was pretty easy to shoot at them from behind the screen , as the hole to shoot at was at the joint of X and it was easy to put the barrel of gun on that jiont and just to pull the trigger,,,,,,,, that day we hunted 14 partridges just in few hours and i learnt a new method of hunting partridges
    Last edited by zainulabdeen; 15-07-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Zain bro, very innovative all in one tool (pointer, decoy, call, hide).. would appreciate if you could post detailed pictures of this hide/decoy screen.
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

sure brother , shall upload when got at home

Quote Originally Posted by zainulabdeen View Post
    nearly two years back, i saw a very interesting method of hunting partridge . we all friends went to hunt them in early hours of the day but after hectic efforts, we could take 3 of them only thus returned unhappy to where we reside. one of our local friends suggested to hunt partridge using a different hunting method which they call as " geroo" locally. my local friends termed that method to be the most effective method for hunting partridges . i never hunted like that or heard that method and was much curious to learn about it . one of our local friends went to bring that much awaited tool of hunting they call as "Geroo" when he returned, he brought a thing that we can call a tool of camouflage for the understanding. there were two bamboos ( baans) of moderate size , given the shape of an " X " by tieing them up at the middle with rope and it was covered with a sheet of cloth of camel colour ( locally called as " geroo colour " ) so it became a shield like structure. there was an other sheet of same colour tied up with the upper parts of that shield or X like structure whish used to cover the hunter from back side. on the front side of that GEROO or X like shield, picture of a lion , with red eyes was made with black paint with a hole at the place of opened mouth , which was at the center of that X like shield to see , aim and shoot the gun. we took that geroo to the shrubs and bushes , . an experienced geroo hunter took me along wth him to hunt a nd we just got hidden in that shield,, slowly we advanced and i was surprised to see the partridges coming out of bushes and shrubs raising alarming sounds to warn each other regarding presence of a horrifying animal / beast in their area. i also saw that it was pretty easy to shoot at them from behind the screen , as the hole to shoot at was at the joint of X and it was easy to put the barrel of gun on that jiont and just to pull the trigger,,,,,,,, that day we hunted 14 partridges just in few hours and i learnt a new method of hunting partridges
    this method is pretty old in many parts of the country, and guess what like many other illegal and easy forms of "massacre" by local hunters this method has taken some species to verge of nearly extinction..... in our particular area resembling to such method has almost finished the chakors.......... if i am not wrong this "geroo" thing is called "bhaoowa" in punjab?...anyways it should be discouraged by the wing shooters... regards
    "snow-leopards are the pride of Himalayans"

@zainulabideen,...brother, yes this 'Geroo' or 'Bhagwa' in Punjabi is illegal according to all wildlife acts and wing-shooters don't like and appreciate it. This method of hunting is under practice of poachers. Avoid and discourage this method of hunting any where in the Pakistan.
    For the general knowledge of the members please post the pictures of 'Geroo'.
    I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted.

well brother tiger roar & snow leopard , at the time of hunt i was not in punjab . and as i said earlier , this method was new for me and for the first time ( and till now , the last time too ) i saw that method of hunt there only. after that, a i have , for many times , hunted partridges and have shared that method of hunt with my other friends in different parts of sindh, but no other hunter , except that particular area , seems to be familiar with " geroo " hunt. may be my friends got that idea from their friends from punjab. and if it is illegal, it should be discouraged . no doubt in it

Yes this is called Bhagwa in Punjab and many pochers caught the alive partridges with this illegal way. Pouchers fix a net and dodge the partridges towards net with the help of Bhagwa, once partridges reaches near the net, pouchers removes the Bhagwa from them. On seeing the humans, partridges tooks the flight and struck and caught in the net. This is illegal everywhere in Pakistan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by avais View Post
    Yes this is called Bhagwa in Punjab and many pochers caught the alive partridges with this illegal way. Pouchers fix a net and dodge the partridges towards net with the help of Bhagwa, once partridges reaches near the net, pouchers removes the Bhagwa from them. On seeing the humans, partridges tooks the flight and struck and caught in the net. This is illegal everywhere in Pakistan.
    Does that mean netting with BHAGWA is illegal or use of Bhagwa technique to bring the birds out to shoot with shotgun is illegal too?

@Denovo87, Sir 'Bhagwa' is illegal itself, also other than 'Bhagwa' all techniques and methods which can trap to alive bird are illegal by all means, Only shooting is legal as per Wildlife Laws. 'Bhagwa', 'Bolara' and netting are commonly illegal at all provinces of Pakistan including Azad Kasmir.
    I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Roars View Post
    @Denovo87, Sir 'Bhagwa' is illegal itself, also other than 'Bhagwa' all techniques and methods which can trap to alive bird are illegal by all means, Only shooting is legal as per Wildlife Laws. 'Bhagwa', 'Bolara' and netting are commonly illegal at all provinces of Pakistan including Azad Kasmir.
    Thanks, understood. It clearly means using a dog to point and scare the partridge to bring it in the line of fire is legal but doing it with an animal's sketch is illegal

couple of years back i was accompanying my late elder brother on a partridge hunt in chakwal area, while the hunt one of our guide told us quite proudly that they are catching partridges with this"bhagwa" technique in great numbers and its very successful....believe me i did'nt enjoyed any moment of hunt after his statement...... i tried my level best to convince him that this technique will end let him cry for the partridges one day....dont know whats the situation in that area these days...but i hope he understood my point...

Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    Does that mean netting with BHAGWA is illegal or use of Bhagwa technique to bring the birds out to shoot with shotgun is illegal too?
    Yes if we strictly talk about law any tool deceiving the wildlife is illegal including decoys.

Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    Thanks, understood. It clearly means using a dog to point and scare the partridge to bring it in the line of fire is legal but doing it with an animal's sketch is illegal
    ha ha ha ha + 1 brother denovo . . i havent seen " bhagwa" but do both " geroo " and " bhagwa " are two different names of same thing ?.... i think mian ( ch) or mian 40 are the seasoned hunters too , they should should join us here too . and brother snow leopard and awais r requested to plz tell the " built" & shape of "bhagwa " in detail

Quote Originally Posted by zainulabdeen View Post
    ha ha ha ha + 1 brother denovo . . i havent seen " bhagwa" but do both " geroo " and " bhagwa " are two different names of same thing ?.... i think mian ( ch) or mian 40 are the seasoned hunters too , they should should join us here too . and brother snow leopard and awais r requested to plz tell the " built" & shape of "bhagwa " in detail
    Its a Khaki color piece of cloth almost 4x4 ft with two holes to see out the field, fixed on two X shape sticks. Pouchers grips the centre of X and covers their face and body behind this. They walk slowly towards partridges and decieve them towrds net or in other case gets the closet range to shot a fire normaly single handed.

Its a Khaki color piece of cloth almost 4x4 ft with two holes to see out the field, fixed on two X shape sticks. Pouchers grips the centre of X and covers their face and body behind this. They walk slowly towards partridges and decieve them towrds net or in other case gets the closet range to shot a fire normaly single handed.
    frankly speaking i never saw a bhagwa my self but heard of it.....avais brother described as perfectly as i heard of it... in our area locals use to apply the same technique for "chakors" and in this case the whole body is not covered only the face..... it is called "dajji".. its a fox faced mask which hunter puts on and then after reaching near the covey of chakors in mountain , the hunter reveals his face with "dajji" from behind any rock.. the poor chakors think its a fox they gather together and start making distress/danger calls the hunter takes an easy shot at gathered chakors and in most cases the score is always more than one and some times heard of6/7...
    chakors in our area vanished due to many other factors but one of them is "dajji" hunting..

Blog Entries
    Yes if we strictly talk about law any tool deceiving the wildlife is illegal including decoys.
    Thanks Avais bro, that exactly what I thought should be a logical reason calling Bhagwa an illegal act.

Brothers BHAGWA and all other mass trapping methods used for wild birds and animals are an illegal act.
    I feel obligated to earnestly request all members, to veil all harmful knowledge that can contribute towards extinction of this gift of nature to us all.
    Regards.