Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Francolin - The most favorite game bird of Pakistan

Francolin - The most favorite game bird of Pakistan

Francolins (Grey and Black) are the most favorite upland game bird of our region, Research conducted on these species is almost non-existent, Lets discuss about them in a research oriented way.. let me start with the basics..

Species (found in Pakistan):

- Grey francolin

Subspecies:

F. pondicerianus mecranensis (Sindhi teetar)
    F. pondicerianus interpositus (Dakhni teetar)
    F. pondicerianus pondicerianus (Irani teetar)

- Black francolin

Subspecies:

F. f. francolinus
    F. f. arabistanicus (Pakistan native)
    F. f. henrici (Pakistan native)
    F. f. asiae
    F. f. bogdanovi
    F. f. melanonotus

Lets start the discussion with the difference between subspecies on the basis of their appearance (plz share distinctive photos if any one have) and Breeding behavior (Pair forming in specific)
    Last edited by Junaid86; 20-05-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    The weapon in your HAND is useless without the weapon in your HEAD...

Very Interesting and difficult topic. We only know Grey partridges (desi and dakni) and black partridges. However there are diffrent sizes and shapes of these birds. Any information on this topic alongwith photographs, from members would be an addition to knowledge.

@avais: even "Grey Partridge" is a different specie, and it's not native to our region..

Quote Originally Posted by junaid86 View Post
    @avais: even "Grey Partridge" is a different specie, and it's not native to our region..
    Thanks brother. My biological information on this topic is very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by avais View Post
    Thanks brother. My biological information on this topic is very poor.
    That's the core reason for this thread, to compile some sort of database for these species, so that we can all learn about these birds which we enjoy every year..

anybody with some knowledge of this game bird please share ..

Blog Entries
    i only know that have a Black Teeter and want to tame it, but still no success.
    its a beautiful bird.
    La Fortune Sourit aux Audacieux

i have a pair of black and dakani each, dakani are tame as anything, can eat offf my hands but blacks are a different story alltogather.

Blog Entries
    will any knowledgeable member share their habitat ,what they like to eat what not,can they breed in captivity ?

@Topak,...yes brother black Partridge also can breed in captivity, I am witness of successful breeding of black Partridge at your city. But you have to create a atmosphere like 'Bella' in the corner of big cage with a stream line of fresh water.
    I've hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Madham View Post
    i have a pair of black and dakani each, dakani are tame as anything, can eat offf my hands but blacks are a different story alltogather.
    Bro Madham, where did you get the dakani ones from...can you guide where I can get a few bhuras and a few dakanis. can they live together in a cage.. larger sized cage?... and can one pair of black partridge also co-exist with them? Thanks and waiting for your input!

@Francolino : What's the major difference between bhura and dakani??, are you referring "bhura" as "Irani" or "Sindhi' ?? please share your knowledge so the thread can grow..

Quote Originally Posted by francolino View Post
    Bro Madham, where did you get the dakani ones from...can you guide where I can get a few bhuras and a few dakanis. can they live together in a cage.. larger sized cage?... and can one pair of black partridge also co-exist with them? Thanks and waiting for your input!
    I am keeping two pairs of Grey (Desi) a pair of Dakni with two chicks all togeather in one large cage of 10x8 ft. Did not find any problem so far. No experience of black but now shall do an experiment to find one pair for their co-existance with their relatives. I think contrary to the humans they will.

@Francolino : What's the major difference between bhura and dakani??, are you referring "bhura" as "Irani" or "Sindhi' ?? please share your knowledge so the thread can grow..
    Brother as far as I knows Bhura is a local partridge Punjabi or Sindhi almost same But dakani also some refers as Irani is a larger in size and lighter in color than to the Bhura. Dakani is easy to make it pet as compare to Bhura.

@avais : So dakhni is not found as a game bird in our fields ?? and do they interbreed?

Quote Originally Posted by avais View Post
    I am keeping two pairs of Grey (Desi) a pair of Dakni with two chicks all togeather in one large cage of 10x8 ft. Did not find any problem so far. No experience of black but now shall do an experiment to find one pair for their co-existance with their relatives. I think contrary to the humans they will.
    Great..thanks!

One important question to all 'teetar-ke-shikari' (partridge lovers, like myself ) ... this is though a slight detour from the caging and breeds topic etc ... has anyone tried a partridge bulara to LOCATE singles or coveys ... I mean bulara as in 'Electronic Call' or handheld mp3 player or mob phone attached to powered portable speakers? Live bulara is heard of but that is a different story and I guess not allowed too. But like in West, or in Europe, Grey Partridge (or Hun as it is called there) is called to locate via its electronic call (real sound samples recorded at high fidelity).

Secondly, do you think using such devices & means to hunt this beautiful species of our region ... if at all they are helpful in the 1st place ... ethical to use in field?

Blog Entries
    Dear Francolino ..... Hunters using tape recorder for such purpose here as you know, but its illegal, immoral and against the spirit of game to use. i place the electronic call in the same category as tape recorder.

@avais : So dakhni is not found as a game bird in our fields ?? and do they interbreed?
    I never found them in the fields of Punjab. Maybe some part of Sindh and Baluchistan this type exists. Regarding their interbreed I have no knowledge.

Francolino brother, my experience with Dhakani and black is dhakani pair both male and female both attack the black pair as soon as they come anywhere near. but i agree with Avais sab that dhakanis can co exist with larger domesticated birds like chicken but black can't as they are of very shy nature.