Thread: 30/30 Reticle Rifle Scope - Measure Distance

30/30 Reticle Rifle Scope - Measure Distance

Key advantage of rifle scope over iron sight is clear - no need to align rear sight-front-sight-target. With rifle scope, you just aim at the reticle (crosshair) on the target. Rifle scope also gives the advantage of magnification - better resolution of the target.

Rifle scope are available in different styles of reticles. A popular reticle style is called the 30/30 - also known as the duplex reticle. This style has a fine-line crosshair in the middle and a bold crosshair toward the ends of the scope. The fine-line crosshair represents 30 inches at distance of 100 yards when the magnification of the scope is set at 4X.

Where I am, a male mature deer trunck (from top of body to bottom of body) represents about 15 inches. In the scope eyepiece if the deer body fits within the crosshair center and the end of the fine-line crosshair, the distance to target is 100 yards. If the same deer is at 50 yards, the entire length of the fine-line crosshair will cover the deer's body.

I have prepared the following distance measuring chart for 30/30 reticle scopes.

Fine-line cross-hair End-to-End:
    Target 10 inches @ 3X - Distance 50 Yards
    Target 30 Inches @ 4X - Distance 100 Yards
    Target 30 inches @ 6X - Distance 75 Yards
    Target 10 inches @ 6X - Distance 25 Yards
    Target 30 inches @ 8X - Distance 50 Yards
    Target 10 inches @ 9X - Distance 150 Yards

Fine-line cross-hair Center to End:
    Target 5 inches @ 3X - Distance 50 Yards
    Target 15 inches @ 4X - Distance 100 Yards
    Target 15 inches @ 6X - Distance 75 Yards
    Target 5 inches @ 6X - Distance 25 Yards
    Target 15 inches @ 8X - Distance 50 Yards
    Target 5 inches @ 9X - Distance 150 Yards

There are many reticle styles available on the market, some for measuring distance. The 30/30 reticle style is popular as it has been in use for a long time. I have used it since the mid 1950s. The 30/30 will measure the distance - you need to know/judge the size of the target.

A great post again. Actually, i am not so regular online but still most of the time i am looking for your posts :P

PakGuns Expert Panel
    Very useful in put. A little practice of JD, ( judging Distance ) will take care of most problems.
    Also with flat shooting rifles zeroed properly the (Point Blank method) makes life easier.

I notice that I made a human error in the distance measuring chart. Please note the correction.

For fine-line cross-hair from center to end: target of 5 inches at 9 power represents a distance of 17 yards (rounded number).
    For fine line cross-hair from end-to-end: target of 10 inches at power represents a distance of 17 yards (rounded number).