Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting The Most Out Of Your Baikal O/U Shotgun - Part 1

Getting The Most Out Of Your Baikal O/U Shotgun - Part 1

AoA Everybody

During one of my routine (but always extremely enlightening) conversations with Starfish, we both came to a conclusion that a budget shotgun's performance and pleasure can be enhanced by a respectable level by adding some (functional only) after-market parts/accessories. Immediately light bulbs started flashing in our heads and we had ourselves a little project to kill a little time (and a few million brain cells in the process) over it.

As with any project, the price factor comes into play and we had to decide on the budget for the after-market parts/accessories. Starfish proposed that any Customization/ Add-ons should not cost any more than 30% percent of the value of a budget shotgun.

Having been given this target, I set out to customize a Baikal MP-27EM-1C over and under shotgun also known as IZH-27EM-1C (Same thing, just different product identification code).

Any how, all settled, this is what I had:

Baikal MP-27EM-1C O/U Shotgun (Price): 50K
    Budget for Customizations/Add-ons: 15K (30% of 50K, Dah!)

This is what I wanted: (to improve the performance/pleasure of a budget shotgun)

Quality Recoil Pad: Limbsaver or Kickeez

My research led me to believe that both enjoy top of the line reputation and significantly reduce recoil. However one offering in Limbsaver's precision fit line gave me the near perfect fit that I was looking for. Grinding and fitting a grind-to-fit recoil requires a lot of patience and I am the sort of a man who is always a little short on patience.

Better Sighting System: Fiberoptic or White Front Bead

Personal preference really but I like a good white bead (or a fiberoptic) at the business end of my shotgun. Some might argue that a bead doesn't do much in improving a shotgun's performance, well…, for me, Ya it does! Something that looks and feels that good can't be wrong. Call me superstitious. Moving on!

Improved Patterns: Trulock Chokes or Carlsons After-market Chokes

I measured the factory chokes supplied with the shotgun and boy! You'll be surprised how way off the mark they were so had to do something about that.

There are quiet a few names in after-market chokes tubes but I've found that Trulock not only offers the most variety for Baikal shotguns but were also very welcoming in sending their precision engineered products to their International Customers in Pakistan. Therefore the choice was pretty clear. One thing I would like to mention here is that I've talked to almost every manufacturer of after-market chokes in the United States and nobody (I'll repeat, nobody) even comes close to the quality of customer service that Trulock provides. Period!

As to which chokes tubes I needed, after reading up and consulting a few friends, I figured Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Modified and Full should pretty much cover most of everything I do with a shotgun.

Now the Pictures:

I sincerely apologize for the poor quality of the pictures. Some are just not blessed with good camera skills. On top of that, creativity has never been one of my virtues.

All Add-ons added to the shotgun. The patch you seen on the comb of the shotgun is actually an improvised cheek pad. Why I needed one, we'll come to that later.

Same shotgun, different view. I'm basically trying out my luck with photography here.

We can clearly see that the limbsaver recoil pad is pretty close to a perfect fit (at least 95%). Let me say that it way better than any factory/OEM recoil pad I have come across so far. It houses dual chambers that compress when a shot is fired, significantly lowering the thump of the recoil (technical jargon: recoil pulse).

I could have gone for a Kickeez recoil pad which is also a big name in recoil reduction however Sorbothane (the stuff Kickeez recoil pads are made out of) weighs a lot and in my humble opinion, it feels like that it will catch on clothes a lot during mount. However Kickeez definitely looks better finished than a Limbsaver.

From engineering standpoint, Kickeez is a pad made of Sorbothane (noise/shock dampening material) whereas Limbsaver is an engineered product which utilizes compression chambers to spread the recoil pulse. Take your pick based on whatever tickles your fancy.

Now let's talk a little about the white patch. This particular shotgun had too much drop at comb for me to begin with and as a result I was hitting below the Point of Aim. In order to fix that I needed to raise my rear sight (essentially the operator's eye). While discussing some quality materials with Denovo87 bhai I came to know that the material he is using to make footballs is near perfect for my use. It's strong, does not absorb water and doesn't get stained. So, it was taped onto the comb using ordinary double tape available at auto part shops. Strong enough to last and leaves no residue once removal is required.

Here we can clearly see the white bead at the business end of this shotgun. I will not go into the details of advantages/disadvantages of this thing but I wanted one.

The same white bead is highly visible even under dim lighting.

This is what the bead looks like up close. In order to install it, the factory brass bead had to be unscrewed then this white bead of matching threads and diameter of the shank (This is where research comes into play) was screwed on. One can clearly see that the construction of the bead is quiet robust.

This picture shows Trulock chokes installed in both barrels. One can see that four slots machined into them for a firm grip using a four-slotted wrench. You can use conventional (factory supplied) wrench with them too or you can order one of their proprietary (e.g. speed wrench) wrenches.

We can see that these (flush fitting) chokes are supplied in stainless steel (mirror) finish and are laser marked with respective constriction and choke designation. I must say the finish is the smoothest I have seen so far on any machined object. The first thing that I noticed while screwing them in place was that how easily one can tighten them due to high quality threads machined into each choke tube. I practically screwed and tightened them using nothing more than finger pressure.

Specs and Cost:

Prices are rounded off to the next number and all subsequent charges (such as shipping & handling and custom duties) have been added for ease in calculation however they do represent accurately the total cost born in acquiring and installing them.

Limbsaver Precision Fit Recoil Pad
    Model/Item No: 10601
    Price: PKR 4,000
    www.limbsaver.com

White Front Bead:
    Marble Arms
    Price: PKR 900
    Thread size: m3.0x.5 or 3x.5mm or (metric) 3mm
    www.marblearms.com

Trulock Choke Tubes:
    Model/Item No: Pattern Plus (flush fitting)
    Price: PKR 2,500 each (10K for 4 chokes)
    www.trulockchokes.com

Total Expense: PKR 14,900 (Pretty close)

Conclusion:

The objective of this project was not to prove that a budget shotgun can be converted into a high end shotgun by simply adding after-market accessories. All I am trying to suggest is that certain performance enhancement is possible if you wish to get the most out of your budget shotgun.

In short: One cannot convert a Toyota into a Mercedes however one can increase the pleasure of driving a Toyota by adding some quality wheels and a decent sound system.

Regards.

Getting The Most Out Of Your Baikal O/U Shotgun - Part 2

Getting The Most Out Of Your Baikal O/U Shotgun - Part 3
    Last edited by 12GAUGE; 21-02-2012 at 04:57 AM.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Blog Entries
    Excellent & practical upgrade with BACHAT, bravo 12g bro bravo.
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

written by 12 gauge "On top of that, creativity has never been one of my virtues."

no body would believe it after reading this master piece brother. ......... suprb . typical ( creation) of 12 gauge, as slways

Thank you gentlemen. I am humbled by your kind words.

Regards.

Dear 12-gauge Bhai,

Great modifications Sir Jee,but i am curious to know about the following:

1.Does the ''THICKNESS'' of cheek pad effect the ''CAST OFF'' or not.

2.How much weight is added/ shifted at the STOCK end by installing a LS-PAD ?.

3.Do BAIKALS have STEEP forcing cones, consequently generating un-comfortable recoil?.

4.What sort of improvements in ''PATTERNS'' you have noticed after switching to TRULOCKS ?.

WHAT ABOUT USING A ''REAMER'' TO LENGTHEN THE FORCING CONES ?.

Have you felt any difference between this one and the ''PORTED'' one?.
    Last edited by Mian-50; 10-04-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mian-50 View Post
    i am curious to know about the following:
    you are most welcome sir jee, I am delighted to answer any of your questions/concerns.

1.Does the ''THICKNESS'' of cheek pad effect the ''CAST OFF'' or not.
    Yes it does or at least it has the potential to do so. the trick is to make sure that you do not alter the thickness of the stock from where it touches your face. you only want to alter the contact on the cheek weld area. In my case, I only felt a slight (and insignificant) change in cast.

2.How much weight is added/ shifted at the STOCK end by installing a LS-PAD ?.
    none what so ever. the limbsaver recoil pads are as light as they come. one of the reasons for me to chose the limbsaver over Kickeez was the weight issue. Kickeez pads are heavy whereas limbsavers are weight almost the same as factory recoil pads if not less.

3.Do BAIKALS have STEEP forcing cones, consequently generating un-comfortable recoil?.
    No sir, I do not think that baikals have unusually short forcing cones. I cannot recall the exact figure and unfortunately I do not have a bore gauge/caliper at the moment but I think it was somewhere in the ball park of 2.25 inches. however I must insist that this figure needs to be confirmed using a bore gauge.

4.What sort of improvements in ''PATTERNS'' you have noticed after switching to TRULOCKS ?.
    I will post pictures soon but the first thing that was instantly experienced was the uniformity of the patterns with very few blind/ghost spots.

WHAT ABOUT USING A ''REAMER'' TO LENGTHEN THE FORCING CONES ?.
    why? to reduce recoil? to improve patterns? to decrease barrel pressure? to decrease shot deformation? kindly elaborate because lengthening of a forcing cone is a pretty tedious process and many variables come into play before somebody opts for such an operation.

one must consider that lengthening operation will remove any hard chroming inside the barrel and then the bore size will increase. to bring everything back to standard, the barrel would need to be hard chromed again. from purely fabrication stand point, the outer dia or wall thickness needs to be checked if such an operation can be carried out on such a barrel safely.

I'm not saying that it cannot be done. all I'm insisting upon is that such an extensive/deep operation can only be carried out if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Have you felt any difference between this one and the ''PORTED'' one?.
    to be honest sir, ported one is a different animal altogether. therefore there are alot of differences in shooting and handling. however kindly elaborate as to what type of differences (or similarities) do you have in mind?

if you mean recoil then, this one is definitely more a sweet shooter due to LS-recoil pad, however if you talking about muzzle jump then ported barrel definitely takes the cake in this regard.

Regards.

Expert Member
    12gauge, what are you doing in a job with pens?
    you are best with shot guns. MashAllah
    I am in many ways name less, many ways shame less, I can be the purest soul with evil as my goal, I can be the story untold.

Blog Entries
    Innovative as usual. Excellent.

On a side note, may I ask, are recoil springs of most Turkish shotguns interchangeable/ originals available, this with respect to the fact, that quite a lot of the models around actually do have the same origin of manufacture, and differing mostly cosmetically, text "imprint-wise"?? Any experience?

Regards.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Innovative as usual. Excellent.

On a side note, may I ask, are recoil springs of most Turkish shotguns interchangeable/ originals available, this with respect to the fact, that quite a lot of the models around actually do have the same origin of manufacture, and differing mostly cosmetically, text "imprint-wise"?? Any experience?

Regards.
    AK bro, Not only of Turkish one's but most of the 12g SA shotguns springs are interchangeable.

Hmmmm started worrying about Germanica by the way when are you coming to get your newest love?
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    AK bro, Not only of Turkish one's but most of the 12g SA shotguns springs are interchangeable.

Hmmmm started worrying about Germanica by the way when are you coming to get your newest love?
    Lolz! And thanks Denovo bro, nice to know that, just wanted to secure myself some crisis-time essentials, lolz!

Well, collection this time is not of a love only, but loves, let's see, could be anytime within the next fortnight or so, a couple of pending matters here delaying me a bit. I feel you want a head on collision of the longer barreled ones, lolz! Let's see.

Regards.
    Last edited by AK47; 11-04-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Dear Bhai 12-gauge,

Thanks for the detailed reply.You are absolutely right,in saying that we could
    spoil all hard chrome from the bores in case we try to use ''REAMER''.

Your modifications are so tempting that, I am seriously considering to buy a second
    hand BAIKAL O/U within 35-40 thousand Rupees and then carry out few experiments
    with it.

Meanwhile,we all would be anxiously waiting for your pattern tests with Trulock chokes.

@12Gauge
    Sir, does Trulock, Marble Arms and Limbsaver ships to Pakistan?
    Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout \"Bang!\"

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateEye View Post
    @12Gauge
    Sir, does Trulock, Marble Arms and Limbsaver ships to Pakistan?
    Bro, all of them ship to Pakistan on regular basis now. infact I got all my shipments from the above mentioned companies in more or less a week's time.

Regards.

Thank you for the reply sir. I too was thinking of installing a grind-to-fit limbsaver pad, as i didnt know which model would fit. But thanks to you, now i know one that fits 95%
    Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout \"Bang!\"

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateEye View Post
    Thank you for the reply sir. I too was thinking of installing a grind-to-fit limbsaver pad, as i didnt know which model would fit. But thanks to you, now i know one that fits 95%
    you are most welcome buddy.

Regards.

Blog Entries
    12G! Sir as usual brilliant execution, and documentation of results for a "Hawai" (up in the air) kind of an idea. We have come to expect nothing less from you
    I dont suffer from the disillusion that CZs are the ultimate handguns.
    I enjoy every minute of it

A.O.A, wonderful improvements, really appreciate your approach of selecting light weight stuff,thus maintaining the over all balance of the gun. is it possible to paint the patch in wood like finish or grains like finish? Its one near to perfect mean looking budget Shotgun. As always thanks for a nice share, A.H
    A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart and wins with his character.

sorry sir for a little off topic question, can you please send me your e-mail ID.
    actually 12 GA sir i want to buy some shooting accessories online from cabelas.

Thoughtful intellectual brainstorming 12G bro you presented with this prudent customization; an idea can really change a lots.

Member Extraordinaire
    Good innovations for a budget shotgun however should have gone with fiber optic ones