Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: .22 LR Rifle & Ammo by PakistanFirst

22LR - Kill How Far?

No doubt we have heard, read or experienced bringing down a rabbit with an air rifle. If an air rifle can kill a rabbit, how far can a 22LR kill the same game? Let us see.

In this excercise we will use an air rifle that delivers velocity of 1,000 feet per second. For the ammunition we will deploy a good quality pallet that weighs 10 grains. With the given velocity and pellet weight, we can calculate (see earlier post for bullet energy calculations) the energy at the muzzle is:

[(10 X 1,000 X1,000)] / 450,435 = 22.2 foot-pounds

The rabbit shot with the air rifle was at some distance from the shooter. Let us give benefit of a doubt in favor of the air rifle and assume the rabbit was in front of the muzzle - meaning distance was 0 yards and bullet energy was 22.2 foot-pounds.

Now let us see the energy that a popular high velocity 22LR ammunition can deliver at long distance - say 800 yards. Most ballistics tables go to range of 100 or 150 yards. I used an online ballistics calculator and entered the required information.

For this example I used a Winchester (X22LR) 40-grain round nose lead bullet with muzzle velocity of 1,255 feet per second. Before I could enter what was required in the calculator, I had to use another calculator to estimate the bullet coefficient. Bullet coefficient (BC) is a numerical measure of the bullet shape in overcoming resistance to air in the flight path. For this bullet the estimated BC was 0.134.

The rifle was assumed to have sight that was 1.75 inches above the bore of the barrel. The rifle was sighted for 800 yards. The ballistics calculator revealed the following.

Bullet energy in foot-pounds:
    200 yards 71
    300 yards 57
    400 yards 47
    500 yards 39
    600 yards 33
    700 yards 27
    800 yards 23

We can see from the above that a high velocity 22LR bullet will deliver the same amount of energy at 800 yards that an air rifle delivers at the front of the barrel - the muzzle.

Let us now see the bullet drop data:
    100 yards +185. inches / 15.45 feet / 5.15 yards
    200 yards +170.2 inches / 14.18 feet / 4.73 yards
    300 yards +151.2 inches / 12.6 feet / 4.2 yards
    400 yards +129.9 inches / 10.74 feet / 3.58 yards
    500 yards +102.9 inches / 8.58 feet / 2.86 yards
    600 yards +73.3 inches / 6.1 feet / 2.03 yards
    700 yards +39.0 inches / 3.25 yards
    800 yards 0.0 inches
    900 yards -45.7 inches / -3.8 feet / -1.27 yards
    1,000 yards -97.3 inches / -8.11 feet / -2.7 yards

If an air rifle can kill a rabbit at a distance of 0 yards, the 22LR has same amount of bullet energy to kill the same rabbit at a distance of 800 yards. Now we get an idea of the lethality of the 22LR. It is diminutive in size but deadly in power. Distance of 800 yards is almost 3/4 kilometer (731.5 meters).

We need to pay due respect to the power of the 22LR and all other ammunition. Always - safety first.
    Last edited by PakistanFirst; 21-04-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Naked Look

Take a naked look in the bore of your rifle. You may be surprised at what you see.

First, before you do anything with the rifle, make dead certain that there is no ammunition in the chamber or in the magazine. Please, remember - safety first.

If the rifle is bolt action type, take the bolt out of the receiver. If the rifle is 22LR semi-auto, hold the bolt in the open position by the small lever near the trigger guard or near the bolt itself. If this lever is lacking, you may have to hold the bolt open by your fingers. In this case a helper would come in handy. To view the inside of the barrel of a 22LR semi-auto, a small mirror is needed.

Hold the muzzle toward not-too-bright sunlight. Examine closely the condition of the groves (deep channels) and lands (high ridges) from one end of rifle barrel to the other end. Repeat this examination by looking at the interior of the barrel from the other end. For 22LR semi-auto, use the mirror to get the light into the barrel. Examination of a semi-auto 22LR is not as thorough as with a bolt action rifle because direct straight-line view is not possible.

If you see fouling or copper build-up, it may be time to clean the barrel. Only do the bore cleaning if you have learned the proper technique, otherwise you are likely to damage the crown -front end of the of the barrel. Excellent rifles have been ruined by individuals with good intentions. Application of a steel rod against the inside of a steel barrel make a poor combination. If the rod gets damaged, you are likely to throw away that rod. What if the barrel of the rifle gets damaged? Are you ready to throw away that rifle?
    Last edited by PakistanFirst; 21-04-2011 at 11:37 PM.

.22 lr is a must to have. i am big fan of .22 lr and own 3 rifles and 2 pistols in this awesome calibre. It surely is the best way to spend sundays at the range.

looking for .22lr pistol from a long time, very less option are here in this caliber

22LR - Long Range Shooting

Some of us in 22LR hobby are interested hunting small game at long distances. Is hunting range at 100 yards or more possible? Yes - If you know the game you are hunting, behavior of your ammunition and be able to judge distance.

Before were can go long-distance hunting in the field, we need to get acquainted with ballistics. Ballistics is a science that tell us how a bullet behaves in flight. Our interest is in "exterior ballistics" a science that tells us how bullet behaves once it leaves the barrel.

Common discussion about ballistics is actually discussion about "exterior ballistics". The term "interior ballistics" refers to what happens from the time the firing pin ignites the cartridge primer to the point where the bullet is about to leave the barrel.

We all know that rifle sights are above the barrel. This means that when we aim our rifle, the bullet will have to leave the barrel and travel some distance going up before it cross a point where it is in line with what we see from the rifle sight - from behind the rifle. this means we have slightly slanted the rifle barrel in an upward direction - the barrel is not horizontal to the ground. If we did not slant the barrel and left it straight, the bullet will leave the barrel and start going down due to the law of gravity and never cross our line-of-sight. If you understand what I said so far, the rest of the discussion is smooth sailing.

With our rifle barrel slightly slanted upward, the bullet travels some distance until it reaches a point where it crosses our line-of-sight as seen from the front and rear sights. This crossing point is commonly know as the "first zero". At this point the bullet does not change direction and start going in a straight line, it keep going upwards in a arch fashion until the gravity of the earth starts bring it down. After coming down, the bullet crosses our line-of-sight again. This is know as the "second zero". When we sight a rifle, we are commonly discussing the second zero point.

Now that we understand basic ballistics, we need to turn out attention to the specific 22LR cartridge we are interested in using in our long-range hunt. We need to study the ballistics of this particular ammo - how it will behave in the flight pass until it reaches the second zero.

In this discussion we will use high velocity Winchester (XPERT22) 36-grain lead hollow point cartridge with muzzle velocity of 1,280 feet per second and 1,038 feet per second at 100 yards. Bullet energy of this cartridge is 131 foot-pounds at the muzzle and 70 foot-pounds at 100 yards. We will assume that the rifle sight is 1.5 inches above the bore of the rifle.

For this ammo a ballistics calculator gives us the following data: (distances in yards / line-of-sight-drop in inches / velocity of bullet in feet per second / bullet energy in foot-pounds)

0 / -1.5 / 1,280 / 131
    10 / -0.1 / 1,255 / 120
    20 / 1.2 / 1,176 / 110
    30 / 2.1 / 1,132 / 102
    40 / 2.8 / 1,094 / 95
    50 / 3.2 / 1,060 / 90
    60 / 3.3 / 1,031 / 85
    70 / 3.0 / 1,005 / 81
    80 / 2.4 / 981 / 77
    90 / 1.5 / 959 / 73
    100 / 0.0 / 939 / 70

From the above data we see that when we sight the rifle for 100 yards, the bullet will travel 60 yards and be 3.3 inches above our line-of-sight. If the rifle is sighted for 100 yards and the game is at 60 yards, unless you compensate accordingly, you may miss your hunt game.

In long range hunting, it is essential to be a good judge of distance (see my earlier posts) and know the ballistics of the ammunition in use.The 22LR has the same amount of bullet energy at 800 yards as a good air rifle that can kill a rabbit at 0 yards. Yes, you can shoot game at long distance and be on target - you have to know the distance to target and the ballistics of your ammunition.
    Last edited by PakistanFirst; 23-04-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Spaypanther bro just go for a walther sp22 m2 or m3. You wont be disappointed

Member Extraordinaire
    .22s great arms and excellant sport.please also share pics and experiences .

Member Extraordinaire
    @pakistanfirst,great start of this thread,although one year back sir skeeter king of shooting sport and other senior members write on this in very details,now we need to fresh it again,thanks for sharing brother.
    although i am very much involved in hunting,and less in sport,only my favourite 7.62 at 300mtr and 400mtr.and .22 for 50mtr,drop of bullit,wind effect,ballistic these are interested and very practical,effective.

Dr. Malik,

Salam
    I am a new member. I have read about the air rifles made in Sargoda. I got introduced to air guns in the early 1950s at age 10-11. Both my air rifles and air pistol were made by BSA. I used them so much that on both guns I wore out the pivot points. There was no "karigar" in Bahawalpur in those days that could repair my guns.

Can you kindly tell when/how you got interested in air guns? My only affiliation with Sargoda is that my father was in civil service there before I was born, in 1940. You are first person I have come across (in person or on the net) who is from Sargoda. I am at some distance from you, otherwise I would come in person to shake your hand.
    Regards,

Dr. Malik,

We have common interests in this hobby. We need to sit down, face-to-face, and spend some time. I am keenly interested in learning first-hand how the air rifle in Sargoda are manufactured and what kind of machinery is being used.

Member Extraordinaire
    @g sir,good work is on air guns with available old machines,rainbow and paragon two old gunsmiths or owners are making these air guns and are very popular,accurate,practical,inshalla will meet you when i will visit to your city.

Member Extraordinaire
    bsa air guns are great but second to diana,yes some good work is being on local made here in sargodha i and other many hunters are using these sargodha made air guns very succesfully,also reliable powerfull.any service for me ,m ready sir.

My experience with BSA air guns was 60 years ago. Manufacturing processes have changed a lot since then.

I have a Browning SA22 and Beretta Target 87 and both are supurb performers. SA22 is my primary survival rifle best suitable for small game/birds hunting, plinking and target shooting and threat deterrence/basic defense as well.
    All That Is Necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing!

Is Browning SA22 the one you feed ammo through rifle stock?

Yes, \i have a thread with pics at PG as well. I am looking/dreaming for A Colt Diamndback now a days.
    All That Is Necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing!

Long time ago I had a Diamondback. It was an impressive piece.

Being Big & Sexy... I am anywhere I wanna be
    Salam All,
    @Pakistan First - Yes Sir, my favorite is .22lr, I have about 5 .22lrs for fun plinking. A must for the .22 lover is also a 10/22 rifle, mine is fitted with nifty gadgets by Volquartsen custom.
    \"In a world of compromise... Some Don\'t!\" Heckler & Koch

\"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.\" Bill of Rights - 2 Amendment of the Constitution of U.S.