Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference & Similarities between Baikal Mp-443 Yarigin Grach & Baikal MP-446 Viking

Difference & Similarities between Baikal Mp-443 Yarigin Grach & Baikal MP-446 Viking

At last I managed to spare some time to take and upload the photos of my newly purchased NIB Baikal MP-446 Viking all steel version pistol. This too, happened as there is an outage and the activities due to presence of electricity are at halt. I took the opportunity and started take photos on generator driven lights, thus, the poor light factor may be attributed to the above element.

The thought behind to specifically buy Baikal MP-446 Viking Pistol was to have a combat level weapon having a Military and battle proven / battle hardened background. Though Baikal MP-446 Viking is itself not adopted as a side arm of Russian Army but I have extensively gone through the relevant threads on Baikal MP-446 Viking and decided to buy it as it is termed as a combat pistol on the relevant website and atleast it is the closest copy of MP-443 Yarigin Grach, the official side arm of Russian Army.

There is a polymer version available also, comparatively at cheaper prices however I always think to pay some extra but to get a thing of higher caliber, hence, went for Baikal MP-446 Viking all steel version. While purchasing this black beauty I examined the polymer version also and there were some pistols in polymer version modeled 2009 and when compared the polymer version of 2009 and 2010 of Viking MP-446, I clearly felt that the polymer version of 2009 was some how substandard in quality of polymer and having a less weight, however, as Baikal MP-446 Viking all steel version was the only piece available with dealer at that time, thus, I could not compare the all steel version of 2010 that I bought and the models of previous years.

Now coming to the issue of differences and similarities between Baikal Viking MP-446 and MP-443 Yarigin Grach. The biggest difference between both pistols is obviously that Baikal Mp-443 Yarigin Grach is the official side arm of Russian Army while Baikal Mp-446 Viking is its civilian (and as termed by the manual a sporting version. However, I quote one of my senior friend in previous threads that it is written on the manual to coup up with the export implications of various countries.) and the biggest similarity between both pistols is that they are made in same enterprise, and same country. To my observations that I have made not throughly rather than in haste I am of the opinion that the only visible difference between two pistols is the front sight which, in Yarigin Grach is a bit larger than the smaller one, possessed by MP-446 Viking. Otherwise, the both of pistols are same to the extent of pin by pin and notch by notch.( here i am tlking about steel version) The observation made above is based upon the pictures of Yarigin Grach available on the net and the comparison of my Baikal MP-446 Viking all steel version. Below I try to compare both pistols from the pictures of Grach downloaded from the internet and pictures taken by me in a poor light condition. This comparison belongs to the appearance and get up of the pistols I have, yet to compare them in field stripped condition which postpone for few days with due apologies from my brothers. I did field strip my Baikal MP-446 Viking after firing a magazine of 18 rounds to clean it up but at that time I didn't have camera and I do not prefer to use mobile phone camera owing to my nature.
    Name:  DSC00009.jpg
Views: 13937
Size:  39.5 KBName:  DSC00012.jpg
Views: 10306
Size:  40.6 KBName:  DSC00016.jpg
Views: 6094
Size:  98.7 KBName:  DSC00013.jpg
Views: 14931
Size:  54.4 KBAttachment 1313Name:  DSC00004.jpg
Views: 6681
Size:  41.3 KBName:  DSC00005.jpg
Views: 10235
Size:  61.5 KBName:  DSC00003.jpg
Views: 6997
Size:  46.7 KB
    Last edited by zainulabdeen; 12-03-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Post Script. I tried my level best but could not attach the images of Yarigin Grach, hence, the brothers are requested to compare the both beauties by downloading the Grach pictures of their own.
    Name:  DSC00001.jpg
Views: 5767
Size:  42.0 KBName:  DSC00002.jpg
Views: 5737
Size:  46.6 KBName:  DSC00007.jpg
Views: 5625
Size:  59.8 KBName:  DSC00008.jpg
Views: 5594
Size:  58.5 KBName:  DSC00005.jpg
Views: 5749
Size:  58.8 KBName:  DSC00006.jpg
Views: 8422
Size:  90.0 KBName:  DSC00004.jpg
Views: 5522
Size:  59.8 KBName:  DSC00003.jpg
Views: 5695
Size:  57.8 KB

the comparison / differences and similarities between both pistols are based upon mere visual observations and there are no technical aspects involved as such.
    Name:  DSC00017.jpg
Views: 12665
Size:  64.1 KBName:  DSC00010.jpg
Views: 5577
Size:  66.6 KBName:  DSC00009.jpg
Views: 5357
Size:  67.8 KBName:  DSC00014.jpg
Views: 5570
Size:  50.8 KBName:  DSC00015.jpg
Views: 5481
Size:  52.2 KBName:  DSC00011.jpg
Views: 5652
Size:  47.4 KBName:  DSC00013.jpg
Views: 8453
Size:  54.0 KBName:  DSC00012.jpg
Views: 6968
Size:  48.9 KB

These are the last images of today
    Name:  DSC00016.jpg
Views: 5652
Size:  51.3 KBName:  DSC00001.jpg
Views: 5297
Size:  37.0 KBName:  DSC00018.jpg
Views: 5301
Size:  49.7 KB

Congrats zainulabideen bro on buying a russian tank

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    congrats sir
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Member Extraordinaire
    Congratulation . In a previous thread we have discussed whether Viking can fire 7N21 ammo or not

Enthusiast
    price please

congrats for the gun , solid as tank. and nice info shared
    “You can get more with a nice word and a gun than you can with a nice word.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zakir View Post
    Congratulation . In a previous thread we have discussed whether Viking can fire 7N21 ammo or not
    yes brother, i have gone through such thread as well, but as concluded by my respected senior 12 gauge, that we wont be able to set our hand on those hot rounds ever, hence the discussion seems to be futile. and in my considered view, russians are not supposed to market their official sidearm . mp 446 has proven its ruggedness & combat level accuracy even beyond 50 meters, world over specially in turkey, a country , which itself has emerged as manufacturer of weapons of high quality, mp 446 ranks on the top of weapon list within its price range or even beyond as envisaged in the countless threads of gun lovers forums. but if some one proves through technical data or through some other reliable source,[not on mere heresy] that mp 446 do possess the capability of firing these hot rounds, i would be one of the happy & proud persons to own such a weapon and my passion for russian small arms would further be substantiated

i also tried to compare the chamber of baikal mp 443 yarigin grach's pics available with me & my baikal mp 446 viking all steel version, as , from the thorough research of the threads and websites , to have or not to have the 90 degree chamber is said to be the difference between the civilian and military grade chambers as narrated in vinzer sports clip available on youtube on following u.r.l
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPUo_...eature=related
    . the pictures of yarigin grach i collected by downloading from various sites are taken in such away/ angle that at least i am not 100% sure as to whether mp 443 yarigin grach do possess a 90 degree chamber or not, but as a blurred idea that i have reached upon by watching the images, is that mp 443 yarigin grach has a chamber of 90 degrees and the the clip of vinzer sports mentioned to above, describing the chambers of mostly mp446 baikal vikings , that i have seen so far , available with dealers or on the internet, as a military grade chambers , appers, at least to me, as a promotional video , how ever i invite my respected senior brothers & enthusiasts to comment........................................... ............................ regards
    Last edited by zainulabdeen; 13-03-2011 at 11:22 AM.

i dont like mine :-/ sights are awful
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942

not getting u properly , brother Abbas

Banned
    mp-446 cannot fire 7n21 because its barrel is thinner then military version ...
    thats what i know till know ...

Quote Originally Posted by metalgear View Post
    mp-446 cannot fire 7n21 because its barrel is thinner then military version ...
    thats what i know till know ...
    may i ask for the source of info brother. besides, i agree to wat u said

Blog Entries
    @zainulabdeen ......Congrats bro! I had missed this thread since days and just found your newly availed hardware! Excellent purchase.

Briefs:

1) You're emphasising the comparison to Grach model beyond need. A weapon that is not available to us, needs not be compared here to that which is available.

2) Our main concern is comparison to existing available models, 2009/2010 polymer.

3) The technical details should have been highlighted, so you can do it now. What's the barrel length, i.e, there's a confusion around that it's past the 112mm's of the polymer version???

4) How's the feel of the trigger, even better than on the previous?

5) How's the weight, any difference?

6) On what did you shoot out those 18 rounds, how's accuracy?

7) Any difference in the girth of the grips, between this one and the others that you saw in the shop? Did you feel any difference in the gripping comfort, or is it completely same?

8) How's the finishing of the steeled frame and slide, and is the shine due to oil?

These are things to report on, in addition to a field-stripped view of internals. Kindly oblige, for the greater and more useful share here.

Overall, it looks like one great item, I hope you'll enjoy for long.

Congrats again, and happy shooting.

Regards.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Banned
    MP-446 Viking

The MP-446 Viking is a semi-automatic 9mm handgun originating from Russia.[1] It was created by the Izhevsk Mechanical Plant, located in Russia. It weighs at around 830 grams when unloaded, and has a magazine capacity of 17 rounds. The pistol is a sport/civilian version of Yarygin PYa pistol which has been used by Russian military since 2003. MP-446 is short recoil-operated, locked breech pistol. The key differences between MP-466 and PYa are the frame material (polyamide) and barrel construction: in MP-446 the barrel was weakened to prevent discharge of high-powered armour-piercing military rounds (7N21 type). For civilian use, the pistol can only be loaded with 10 rounds of 9mm Luger.

source
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP-446_Viking

on the web pictures of mp-446 and mp-443 have clear difference in the barrel thickness in the middle ...
    446 is thinner in the middle and front part of barrel is thick whereas in gratch the barrel is equally thick ...

the metal version of mp-446 is only different in grip part rest is the same ....

Member Extraordinaire
    Very right AK 47 and metal gear

Ok brother , just let me arrive at home on sunday. Viking is over there and here i sleep with a beauty of german origin, but cant discuss it due to apprehended mods anger as forum rules dont allow it