Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Baikal MP-27EM-1C "Sporting" vs Baikal MP-27EM-1C "Hunting"

Review: Baikal MP-27EM-1C "Sporting" vs Baikal MP-27EM-1C "Hunting"

AoA Everybody

Last Saturday a few of us were at the skeet club in our cherry popping headquarters (Sialkot) and amongst other things, we decided to do an informal review, sort of a comparison between two Russian over and under shotguns. Baikal MP-27-EM-1C "Sporting" and Baikal MP-27-EM-1C "Hunting".

Both guns are at heart the same, one is kept to a bare minimum in order to be light enough for hunting/field purposes whereas the other is accessorized in a bid to excel at skeet/sporting use.

Details:

Each and every participant was given a Ménage à trois moment with both Russian shot spitting beasts. Their respective reviews will be added here. before we begin, kindly do keep in mind that one is for sporting purposes so designed as such whereas other is for hunting purposes therefore a head to head comparison holds no true value. Two different animals for two different habitats, its as simple as that. therefore it is pointless to compare them on typical characteristics such as the barrel length and weight. However we will compare them on the basis of such elements which are common across both shotguns and are irrespective of activity they are employed in.

Participants:

1. Denovo Sb.
    2. Owais Sb.
    3. Topak Sb.
    4. Stigma Sb.
    5. 12GAUGE

Contenders:

1. Baikal MP-27-EM-1C "Sporting"
    2. Baikal MP-27-EM-1C "Hunting"

One can clearly see the palm swell in sporting model here. it literally fills the hand offering much better grip

Just look at the checkering detail in sporting model with crisp and sharp lines.

Owais Sb. having a go with the hunting model.

Denovo87 Sb. trying out the sporting model

Now thats what we call a money shot.

Stigma Sb. giving sporting model a run for its money

Another money shot. this time I'll take the credit, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Owais Sb. giving Stigma Sb. some precious pointers in lead and follow through.

Initial Impression:

Baikal MP-27-EM-1C "Hunting" displays the famous sense of (or lack of, if you prefer) Russian finish and attention to detail but on the other hand Baikal MP-27-EM-1C "Sporting" is a lot better finished. it looks miles apart when it comes to the quality of furniture and accessories.

Review:

Finish: Sporting wins hands down. its way better finished.

Furniture: Again Sporting wins hands down. its features way better and nicely finished furniture

Checkering: Sporting by far offers better checkering. on hunting model it is nothing more than bare minimum.

Recoil pad: Sporting offers nice and soft recoil pad similar to the ones available in high end shotguns plus it has a plastic heal to aid in quick mounting whereas in hunting model it is hard and ugly.

Recoil: Sporting definitely kicked alot less. it could be due to higher its weight and it could be due to it 30 inch ported barrels.

Muzzle Flip: Noticeably less muzzle flip in sporting. Infact it was so less that in first glance the gun doesn't seem to flip at all. only at close inspection one can see that it does flip. probably due to its ported barrels. second shot was an absolute pleasure.

Sights: I specially liked the sighting characteristics of the sporting model. it offers 10mm wide rib which was definitely more clearer in the peripheral vision. plus it has a big front bead (did not like the quality) compared to the tiny front bead of hunting. to me that too made a lot of difference. hunting model is supplied with a 7mm rib which is nothing to write home about.

Grip: I liked the grip of the sporting model. it offers palm swell along with a wide forend which aids in better gripping this gun. on the other hand, hunting model too has good grip adequately designed for hunting purposes. therefore I do not think there is a clear winner here.

Swing: Sporting definitely has better swing probably due to its slightly muzzle heavy weight. whereas hunting model offered faster mounting probably due to its less weight and neutral balance. again no clear winner here.

Bang: hunting was far more quieter compared to sporting but we cannot declare one winner over the other because sporting model has ported barrels and we all know that porting amplifies the bang considerably.

Overall pleasure: I don't know but I'm hooked. the sporting model is a real pleasure to shoot. if I would have kept my eyes closed, I would have never noticed that I'm actually shooting a budget shotgun. the pleasure is such phenomenal. on the other hand, the hunting shotgun feels very much like, you know! like a Baikal we all know.

Conclusion:

If one has the option to buy just one budget over and under shotgun, by all means the wiser choice would be the Sporting model because with only slight difficulty it can be easily employed in hunting/field. on the other hand, in sports/skeet utility it would simply outclass the hunting model. besides that, it looks and feels very much unlike a budget shotgun. this should be the reason enough to acquire this Russian scattergun.

Acknowledgement:

I heartily thank and offer my gratitude to Denovo87 Sb. and Owais Sb. for inviting us to Sialkot for a whole day of skeet under the bight sun and for their playful and superbly enjoyable company and in the end hosting a wonderfully delicious dinner. I also offer my thanks for Stigma Sb. and Topak Sb. for coming over from their respective cities and giving even more colors to this wonderful gathering of friends.
    Last edited by 12GAUGE; 06-03-2011 at 08:20 PM.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Blog Entries
    Great introduction to another Russian workhorse 12g bro, looks you r in full form these days review after review and with the same zeal n zest that now became your trademark

And it was pleasure to have beautiful guests like you, Topak & Stigma, keep these visits going on as these give specially me a feeling "abhee to main jawan hoon"

P.S. My apologies if you find a smiley bit explicit, as it was the deal that earned someone his Biakal sporting back
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

AoA,brothers 12-gauge & Denovo,

Where this Skeet club is located in Sialkot?.Sir Jee was it intentional to attempt
    LOW HOUSE singles from Station-2/3 for checking the guns only?.

BTW excellent review and photoghraphy,and hearty congrats to brother STIGMA
    for this BAIKAL (sporting).

Sir Jee please pass on few words to RANGE MANAGEMENT about putting a base
    to the GUN STAND or do shooters have to bring something with them to protect
    and wipe recoil pads during WET CONDITIONS.

Other wise it's a beautifull layout.
    Last edited by Mian-50; 06-03-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mian-50 View Post
    was it intentional to attempt LOW HOUSE singles from Station-2 for checking the guns only?.
    Sir we were just horsing around. our mission was to compare 4 different shotguns and get "a feel" of each gun. it was not about skeet. it was more about the shotguns that we were all trying one by one. basically, we were all playing ZANANI in a BANO-METRO SHOP.

Regards.

Sir jee,

A friend wanted to have one but, could not find one in Lahore.

Blog Entries
    AoA,brothers 12-gauge & Denovo,

Where this Skeet club is located in Sialkot?.Sir Jee was it intentional to attempt
    LOW HOUSE singles from Station-2/3 for checking the guns only?.

BTW excellent review and photoghraphy,and hearty congrats to brother STIGMA
    for this BAIKAL (sporting).

Sir Jee please pass on few words to RANGE MANAGEMENT about putting a base
    to the GUN STAND or do shooters have to bring something with them to protect
    and wipe recoil pads during WET CONDITIONS.

Other wise it's a beautifull layout.
    Brother Mian ji, there was'nt any special reason using #1/2/3 stations than these felt easy and favourable direction of the sun at that time of test.
    Although the skeet range we have is one of the best in Pakistan in all aspects but unfortunately not much regular members, so normally no one uses these gun stands every one keeps his gun either in the box or on his shoulder as we never have more than 3 shooters using the range at same time, but yes we have cover/matt to lay under the guns if its required.

AoA Denovo Bhai,

Thanks sir,this was the only apparent flaw visible to naked eye.
    Garrison Lahore had the same thing but under the shade.

Great Place!.

Sir jee,

A friend wanted to have one but, could not find one in Lahore.
    what sir? the ZANANI or the Shotgun ?

Regards.

Blog Entries
    AoA Denovo Bhai,

Thanks sir,this was the only apparent flaw visible to naked eye.
    Garrison Lahore had the same thing but under the shade.

Great Place!.
    W A S Bother, I think you didnot notice that stand is kind of mobile so we can move it under the shade when ever its required

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 12GAUGE View Post

Regards.
    Are they both different species?

Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    Are they both different species?
    cant say about others but mine is just as short and just as noisy. hahahahaha!

Regards.

hahahahahaha. oops

Blog Entries
    @12G.....Chaa gai o Butt Sahib, Bandookan toh kin ke Zanania tak, lolz!

Indeed 12G bro, you seem to be in full swing and form these days, really regret not being able to make it along with you guys, despite repeated and courteous offers from Denovo bro and your good self. What a wonderful gathering of all Bandook Walas, at a wonderful spot on a bright sunny day.

Well, since I am not much into neither hunting nor skeet, I cannot comment or question any more than what my limited knowledge allows more. All I can say is, that this was a great show down of both guns and gunners, and what nice money shoots, indeed! Great!

An excellent review of two almost identical Russian beauties, yet I agree with you, the sporting model is absolutely a mouthwatering value-for-money deal, with great looking wooden furniture. Congrats to Stigma Sahib on a right choice and a wonderful acquisition.

May I ask, how much of a difference does 2 inches in barrel length actually make, either added or subtracted, for the shooter and the shot, both with respect to Skeet and hunting purposes?? Just curious, since I feel the sporting model should be the natural choice here, for both purposes.

Once again, an excellent review, thanks for sharing some joyous moments with all of us.

Regards.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Quote Originally Posted by 12GAUGE View Post

Regards.
    With ''ZANANI'' thing,it reminds me of a very famous quote by LATE
    MAJ SARDAR AMANULLAH KHAN,he once said O/Us are VULGAR SHOTGUNS
    They always take my mind to one of my favourite styles in --------.

Sir jee,I was asking about BAIKAL SPORTING.A friend searched everywhere
    in Lahore,but could find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    W A S Bother, I think you didnot notice that stand is kind of mobile so we can move it under the shade when ever its required
    I really appreciate the way high house stairs are designed,the TARGET LOADER
    or maintenance staff's job become much easier with easy approach to high house
    Trap machines.

The club as a whole stands at par with ISB-gun club and looks better in overall
    maintenance as compared to Garrison LHR.

I would try to post pics of SHOTGUN TROLLEYS.
    Last edited by Mian-50; 07-03-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Sir jee,I was asking about BAIKAL SPORTING.A friend searched everywhere in Lahore,but could not find any.
    Sir I think its available at Orient Arms Lahore. the information is only a week old so there might be some still in his inventory.

Regards.
    Last edited by 12GAUGE; 07-03-2011 at 09:51 AM.

AoA bhai 12-gauge,

Thanks.

is the field/hunting model shown above (with single selective trigger and nickel receiver ) available in LHR?
    Price and availability????
    is there any major difference (i.e weight etc) in the field model with nickel receiver having single selective trigger and the same but with double triggers??? which one is better of two izh 27em nickel field (single selective trigger or double triggers) ???

Quote Originally Posted by hunter468 View Post
    is the field/hunting model shown above (with single selective trigger and nickel receiver ) available in LHR? Price and availability????
    Probably available at Orient Arms Lahore. Price somewhere around 50K.

is there any major difference (i.e weight etc) in the field model with nickel receiver having single selective trigger and the same but with double triggers???
    No difference in weight.

which one is better of two izh 27em nickel field (single selective trigger or double triggers) ???
    now thats a real tough question to answer. think of it this way: which is better? an automatic transmission or a manual transmission vehicle?

what I mean to say is that its mostly personal preference.

Regards.

Member Extraordinaire
    @both models are lovely.