Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning SA 22 Rifle .22 LR caliber Made in Japan

Browning SA 22 Rifle .22 LR caliber Made in Japan

Finally I bought this "relic of art & innovation" today. It is used but in excellent condition. It is made in Japan. A wooden box, manual and cardboard case came along. I will preview & review it soon.
    All That Is Necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing!

Congrats survivalist bro on ur purchase. Waiting for the pics and review

congrats, nice gun

Quote Originally Posted by Survivalist View Post
    Finally I bought this "relic of art & innovation" today. It is used but in excellent condition. It is made in Japan. A wooden box, manual and cardboard case came along. I will preview & review it soon.
    Congrates brother ,what is price ?plz share some pics

Banned
    Congrates Bro, price????????

The "THING" is priceless beauty but the barter in financial terms traded against 70 notes of 1k each.

I am unable to add pictures to my album or to this post, following is link for pictures, will post preview/review by tomorrow.

http://nomanshah.com/blog/browning-sa22-survival-rifle/
    Last edited by Survivalist; 04-03-2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Add link

Post Preview of Browning SA22

Browning SA22 Gemstone Wilderness Survival Rifle

History

The Browning 22 Semi-Auto rifle, also known as the Semi Automatic 22 or SA-22, is a takedown rifle produced by FN Herstal based on a John Browning patent. The rifle is currently produced by Browning as the Semi-Auto 22. Production began in 1914 and continued through 1974 in Belgium and production continued in 1976 in Japan by Miroku. It was first exported by FN for the American market in 1956, but was manufactured in the US from 1919-1935 under license as the Remington Model 24. The SA-22 was the first production semiautomatic .22 rifle, and is regarded as a classic firearm. It has been offered in several "grades" of engraving and gold inlay, and is a widely collected gun, especially those manufactured in Belgium. The Semi-auto .22 is a made from blued steel and walnut, and ejects spent cases downward. This feature was intended by the designer to keep the user's face "protected from gasses and flying particles while firing". The lack of a side-mounted ejection port also leaves a large "canvas" for engraving. Factory engraving was done by hand at FN Herstal, and is done by laser engraving with hand finishing at Miroku. It has occasionally been sold with a factory fitted hard case, or with scope mounting grooves on the receiver. Over half a million SA-22 rifles have been sold since 1914.
    http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...-rifle-history

Specification
    Caliber 22 L.R.
    Magazine Capacity 11 L.R.
    Barrel Length 19 1/4"
    Nominal Overall Length 38"
    Nominal Length of Pull 13 3/4"
    Nominal Drop at Comb 13/16"
    Nominal Drop at Heel 2 5/8"
    Nominal Weight 5 lbs. 3 oz.
    Rate of Twist 1 turn in 16 "
    Site Radius 16 1/4
    Metal Finish Blued
    Wood Finish Gloss Finish
    Stock / Grip Walnut

Experience with the Gun
    The Browning Semi-Auto .22 is the highest quality and best general purpose rifle in the group. It is has been used for decades by knowledgeable small game hunters and plinkers who have no particular interest in a survival rifle. If you are seeking a fine .22 hunting rifle that can also double as a survival rifle, and you can afford the best, the Browning SA-22 is the way to go. http://www.chuckhawks.com/survival_rifles.htm

One of the last masterpieces designed by John Moses Browning was a humble sporting rifle. The Browning 22 Auto ejects straight down. It chambers the next round as if by magic. For the unwary, hot brass down a long sleeve can cause the once famous Browning 22 dance. In a lot of ways, the Browning 22 Auto is an aficionado's gun. http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2...g-22-auto.html

I was on the hunt for rim-fire rifle that could serve the purpose of Survival Rifle since 2008. Such gun should be a .22 LR, light weight, semi-auto as well as breakdown rifle. In September 2010 a senior PG member informed about the availability of SA22 for Rs. 150K, it was beyond my budget for the gun but began to study about and finally fell in love with this masterpiece. Some days ago I saw two SA22 rifles in a Pawn Shop and inspected both. One was a copy made by Norinko while other Browning made in Japan. The difference was obvious both in metallurgy and finishing as well as price. I was quoted 25K for Norinko and 75 for Japan. I made few visits in following days to the shop and finally purchased the original Browning made in Japan piece yesterday. I was manufactured in 1987 as part of its serial no (PR146) indicates, bought in Canada and brought to Pakistan by its first owner, I was informed by the shop keeper. A dozen rounds were fired and then kept in shelf for years to dust. I came in card board box and wooden container for box. A manual booklet with buyers address, year and location is also found.

The quality can be inspected merely by visual inspection, finishing, wood work and balance. No tool is required at all to assembling & disassembling of the rifle and even the mechanism. Special barrel mounts specifically designed for the rifle are available online and it permits take-down of the rifle without altering zero and further assures fine accuracy, as the booklet suggests.

It does not fit my camel back small backpack as almost 2” of metal/wood protrudes out of bag of both barrel and stock, I wished it could. I could not wait for next day or Sunday for testing and put on journey to a makeshift firing range somewhere near Ring Road. I had plan in my mind to go near Ravi Bank behind Band Road but found a better location. Printed targets on A4 paper at home, bought clip board from UET Service Area and affixed the targets on them. Set out on GT Road towards Wahga Border, took a left after Ring Road overhead and suddenly a Pothohar Plateau like piece of land cam in front. It is 50 to 70 feet deep a KM long area dig for sand etc and many tractor trolleys were still going in and coming out of the place. We parked the vehicle near a safe area with a “Bowly” like well whose walls were naked. Target was set at and firing distance of around 32 walking steps away. Loading the rifle was a real pleasure. Just turn serrated mag tab located on butt plate turn and pull mag rod straight back until it stopped. Then dropped 11 cartridges one by one into the opening in side of stock. Pushed mag rod completely into stock and locked. The rifles aimed naturally and very precise. Firstly we put several rounds in rapid fire on one target, fired almost 66 bullets without any malfunction, ftf, fte. Firing was very smooth and robust. It ejected spent cartridges 4-5 feet downward in front where I was standing. Fired as fast as I could pushing the trigger one after one and there was no delay on part of the rifle. (we used a box of federal and Remington hollow points).

Finally we set another target on 25 steps distance and I fired 5 bullets to check the precision. The group was about 1.1” around the 9 circle. It was my feeling that from bench rest and daylight with good targets (mine were printed with ink cartridges almost empty and circles were not obvious from around 10 meters even) the rifle is capable of shooting 50s and 100s of cartridges in the bulls eye. We returned from the location before sunset. A feeler after taking the rifle in hands is that it’s a lifelong partnership started between us.

I put my feelings in words, am no good reviewer and writer so please oversee my ignorance. Thanks. I am unable to add pictures to my album or to this post, following is link for pictures: http://nomanshah.com/blog/browning-sa22-survival-rifle/
    Last edited by Survivalist; 04-03-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Formatting

nice detailed review

Thanks Cheema Sb

PakGuns Expert Panel
    No lover of rifles has his collection of rifles complete without a Browning Take down auto. I love mine like any thing. The moment one brings it to the shoulder the sights are aligned. The firing pin doubles as the ejector, there are two extractors, and it is as fool proof as a rifle can be. There is an adjuster nut with with a lock pin which helps to adjust the head space or tightness of barrel with the receiver. It is indeed a marvel of engineering and designing. The only problem is hot cases ejected through the bottom and if you are wearing half sleeves it is a minor discomfort.

Member Extraordinaire
    good rifle and good purchase.

Thanks you Skeeter sb & Dr Hanif sb.
    I would say about my purchase ...
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.
    Leon J. Suenes"

Welcome Arfat

A.O.A, what a nice acquisition. Very good detail review. Man you must have one true wish and will to achieve it. thanks for sharing and happy shooting. Allah-Hafiz
    A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart and wins with his character.

Thanks Stigma brother.

Supreme Member
    I am still in luv with SA-22. But don't have a lic. You bought it at a very good price. Enjoy the master piece. What else do you want Browning made in Japan. Excellent selection.
    Advance skills are the basics mastered.

Thanks Vik Brother, it is really a masterpiece, it feels like nothing else can and very slightly used.

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Survivalist, I beg to differ.. if this is not an excellent peice of writing.. I really dont know what is
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S)