Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner !

Blog Entries

Thumbs up My New Ultrasonic Gun Cleaner !

Salams,

For the past few weeks I was looking into Ultrasonic cleaning for my guns. The Ultrasonic gun cleaners I found online were quite expensive starting from about $ 200 and extending upwards of $ 1000. Cleaning liquid availability was also an issue since it would be inconvenient to have it imported on a regular basis. Reading Denovo's post the other day in the Ultrasonic article thread, I thought the surgical shops might have some thing I could use. So off I went to the most convenient store and asked the owner if he had an Ultrasonic cleaner, he told me no and had never heard of such a thing. I was a little disappointed but after a few trips to Sitara market one learns to keep an eye out for something the shop keeper does not realize he has. I saw a dusty little box lying in a corner shelf and asked to see it. It turned out to be exactly what I was looking for, an Ultrasonic Cleaner ! The owner was a little confused as he struggled to remember it and after ruffling through some documents sold it to me for Rs. 4000. I then asked him if he had any sterilizing liquid and checked a few makes till I found one that catered to Ultrasonic equipment. A 150ml bottle of it cost me Rs. 500.

Back home I could not wait to try my new cleaner. Since it was a first, I was a little hesitant to put my expensive gun barrels in it but then remembered a rusty almost junk local made Beretta 92fs barrel lying around. I had wasted a few hours on this barrel some time back trying to clean it using all conventional methods of rust removal / cleaning like hot water & soap, diesel, rust remover, mitti ki tail, Hoppes, WD40, gun oil and brass brushes but all had failed. I thought what better and more difficult test could I put to my new Ultrasonic cleaner. The pictures explain the rest:

The Ultrasonic Cleaner:

The offending and completely rusted barrel:

Ultrasonic Cleaner filled with Water and Cleaning Liquid:

Cleaning Liquid Make and Specs:

Ready to start cleaning:

Blog Entries
    The cleaner was set for a default of 3 minutes and I wanted to give the barrel atleast 15 minutes of cleaning time before I took it out. Five runs later I took the barrel out not knowing what to expect. At first glance I was surprised at how clean the barrel looked and felt from outside. As I lifted it some rust poured out of the barrel into the cloth I was holding it with, I looked inside the barrel and was more than surprised. Ran two clean patches though the barrel with a barrel brush and here are the results.

The patches:

Can you believe this ??? I was stunned and absolutely amazed !

Conclusion:

What more can I say, Ultrasonic cleaning really works. What I could not do in 4/5 hours of wasted time, effort and supplies the little Ultrasonic cleaner did in 15 minutes of humming

The future of gun cleaning is Ultrasonic, I have become a huge fan of it and would go so far as to say that it is a 'MUST HAVE' for anyone wishing to call himself a gun enthusiast ! Get one !!

What can one say.... those are impressive results, But Abbas bhai what about a larger size in which one can put in the complete gun... Will that work as well ?
    ....Rana Rasal...
    the future is untold
    till the static unfolds that the good die young
    Please God let this Bad Boy die old

Great work Abbas bhi and solid results.

Enthusiast
    Great results

Member Emeritus
    Really amazing indeed.. I am on my way to Sitara Market to get hold of one, provided they do have one.. thanks for the excellent sharing Chief.. truely said it is a must item for every gun enthusiast.

Blog Entries
    @Shahsjs & P.A Thank you.

@Rasel.Saleh I was glad to have found one in the first place. A bigger one would indeed be nice but even then I would only put disassembled parts to clean and not the whole gun. After taking the parts out a through dip in WD40 or another lubricant is highly crucial to get rid of any moisture and prevent any possible future rusting scenario's. The Ultrasonic cleaner itself is safe enough for gun parts of any material.

@Aquarius Thank you, anxiously waiting to see if you can manage to find anything. More product variety and experiences are a must !

congrats, very nice results.

Blog Entries
    As usual a brilliant find. I feel that I should thank you for extending yourself and undertaking experiments for the collective learning in PG. So far, I think this is the best rust removing method I have ever seen. Saves you a lot of trouble and gives you a shinny squeaky clean barrel with in minutes
    Kudos for the effort and sharing this with us.
    I dont suffer from the disillusion that CZs are the ultimate handguns.
    I enjoy every minute of it

Member Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbas View Post

@Aquarius Thank you, anxiously waiting to see if you can manage to find anything. More product variety and experiences are a must !
    Fully agreed Chief.. visited Sitara Market today but since it was late, half of the shops were already closed.. couldn't find in the remaining shops.. will visit earlier next time, hoping to find one.

Great Work Sir.

Member Extraordinaire
    Great find

Blog Entries
    Amazing! Thanks Chief for sharing this very impressive experience. Speechless! "Itched" up. lolz!

Excellent, "Brave new World" kind of features.

Regards.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Good find Abbas Bhai
    ... and then there was light !!

Blog Entries
    @S. Cheema, Starfish, Mani, Dr. Zakir, Ak47 and Saeen. Thank you.

This really is the most comprehensive and quick cleaning method to date. I suggest everyone being able to find one to get it asap.

I'll be testing the Ultrasonic cleaner on two more barrels today, will post results here.

Blog Entries
    Chief.......Was just wondering, if the cleaner should be used only for barrels, guide rods, recoil springs? Or you gonna dip the full armor, anytime soon?

Regards.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Blog Entries
    The cleaner can be used on the entire gun itself. The one I have is unfortunately too small for anything but the barrel and parts.

I'm hoping one of us will be able to get one of these: It's cheap and does the job just great.

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/13073-q...t-l-r-mfg.html

Blog Entries
    @Chief........Any idea on the cost of per time cleaning, of the cleaning agent??

Furthermore, even if the cleaner could accommodate entire gun, I fear displacement/evaporation of water remains from the firing pin section and hard to reach areas of the gun, would not quite suggest dipping slide and frame, what do you think?

This also prescribes a different way of cleaning, in that major efforts would be drying up the items and duly lubricating them, post-cleaning. I feel it means a proper oil-bath after cleaning?

Regards.

Blog Entries
    As for the costs, haven't really thought about it but this is a good time as any to do a mental exercise. one 150 Ml bottle of cleaner costs Rs. 500 which in turn mixed with water in a ratio of 9/10 water 1/10 cleaner is good for cleaning 13-15 times. Each time I can clean two gun barrels, springs, firing pin, guide rod etc. So 13x2 = 26 guns cleaned. Water used is around 400ml which needs 40ml of cleaner. i.e the the 150ml bottle of cleaner can be used for approximately 85 guns which makes it around Rs. 6 per gun cleaned.

In a large gun specfic cleaner like the link above you can easily dip the entire gun, after the cleaning process is complete a lubrication liquid is added which lubricates the gun in much the same manner as it's cleaned.

My cleaner is not really gun specific nor can I get my hands on the lubricating agent required (I am trying to find a substitute) so for the moment I am drying the barrel with a clean cloth and then liberally spraying it with WD40 to get rid of any moisture and rust prevention. If lubrication is required then I use a drop of hoppes lubricating oil which work great.

Have also thought of dunking it in ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) or Motor Oil

Blog Entries
    Thanks Chief, this sounds good, indeed. Ideal for parts cleaning, useful for your special things also, comprising more of internal parts, and highly elbow-grease sparing on handgun barrels. Excellent.

Regards.