Thread: Opinion: Beretta Explore A400 Unico vs Winchester SX3

Opinion: Beretta Explore A400 Unico vs Winchester SX3

Looking to buy a semi auto for Hunting (Ducks & Upland). Having done resaerch on both guns & Im at an impass as to which would be the better choice ???

Xplor Unico with 28" barrel would be prefered in bw these too. You can check both versions (KO and Non-KO) and then see which weight and especially balance suits you. I know guys who have bought Xplor and then sold them to buy earlier models of Urika2 or Teknys, as weight and balance is also of very importance. According to me, slightly heavier gun will always be a better weapon in waterfowl hunting. And you will notice obvious advantage in smooth swings.

Xplor and Win SX3 are both 6.75 kg category guns and its not an ideal gun weight for waterfowl. Its a very good weight for upland agreed. Urika2 and Teknys are 7.25-7.5 lbs guns and thats the best waterfowl shotgun weight as well as not a bad upland gun weight (but depends too). So, the crux of my argument is ... It doesn't matter which weapon you buy among all these mentioned here. All are A+ class in semi autos. What matters is which of them comes on your shoulder perfectly centered and WITH THE RIGHT BALANCE for your particular physique. For e.g. for me slight forward weight bias with a relatively heavy gun (7.25-7.5 lbs) is a definite plus in upland and waterfowl both. So choose it accordingly, rather than buying 'the best gun'...because there is no best gun per say among these category of semi autos.
    Cheers ... and Happy Hunting!
    Last edited by francolino; 19-01-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Nicely elaborated bro francolino.
    History remembers only two colors: Red "The Blood of Martyrs" & Black "The Ink of Scholars"

Quote Originally Posted by Virk View Post
    Looking to buy a semi auto for Hunting (Ducks & Upland). Having done resaerch on both guns & Im at an impass as to which would be the better choice ???
    I think brother avais has experienced the both beauties and his expert opinion can be more helpful for you.
    History remembers only two colors: Red "The Blood of Martyrs" & Black "The Ink of Scholars"

WHat's the price for these?

you might think of comparison of browning maxus too along with these guns. Never used it but it has great reviews too and slightly cheaper
    Until the lions have their own historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter.

AoA Virk

my two cents on the subject would be that both shotguns are a real bang for the buck. winchester SX3 with its super cycling speed and beretta with its load versatility and KO3 are really hard to beat. so in the end it all boils down to personal taste. i'm afraid a direct comparison between these awesome shotguns holds less meaning here.

if I were to vote, I would go for beretta A400 due to its higher load versatility, bigger (and more famous) name for the Italian firearms manufacturer and KO3. which may not be my cup of tea but i like the feature as it reduces bolt impact. which is a definite plus in my books. second benefit of owning a beretta in Pakistan is that rich guys usually use a beretta so its also more like a status symbol. another benefit would be that parts and accessories are also at times available at famous firearms dealers in big cities. and lastly, when you buy a beretta, you buy a shotgun from a manufacturer that offers more autoloading shotguns than all the competitors combined (now we are talking shear manufacturing/designing experience here) and when you buy a beretta, you are essentially buying a B-gun. there must be a reason for the term (B-gun) used exclusively for beretta, benelli and browning.

Regards.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

PakGuns Expert Panel
    Francolino and 12Gauge have explained everything. As Xplore A400 comes with KO that is a big plus for water fowling keeping in view the possible sheer number of heavy shots. A light weight light kicking gun will certainly be more joy to shoot.

I have tried brother Avais's Xplore along my Teknys and Xplore certainly was light both on weight and kick. Cycling all types of load is not a point to discuss for these top notch guns i guess.
    \"You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man\'s initiative and independence.\"

AOA,

Thanks brothers for your very informative reply.
    Great Francolino bahi you mentioned (Xplor and Win SX3 are both 6.75 kg) accidentally in Kgs, But Shotguns weight in Pounds. Any how good information.
    Bhai 12GAUGE Ko3 is the best.

Now few things decided.....

1. Beretta A400 Xplore with KO3 that is a big plus.

Beretta A400 Xplore with KO3 - Price is 290K.
    Winchester X3 - Price 150K.

What about Choke lenghts of both Shotguns any impact puts more pellets on target ??

Beretta Explore A400 Unico is best choice

Brothers i have a privillage to taste both the guns. Lot of comments are already expressed above. Further Xplore KO might be a point of prestige but SX3 being one of the fastest semi auto for a price against value is not a bad choice. SX3 is 4+1 whereas Xplore after removing the plug is 3+1. The cleaning mechanism of SX3 is very simple however raw materials used in Explore has an edge. Both the guns are great but for waterfowling where there is a greater risk of dirt sand and mud, I prefer SX3. Explore has an Optima high performance choke system which definately improve the slug patterns and effective range. SX3 is great but Xplore is so far king in semi autos.

AOA,

Thanks brothers for your very informative reply.
    Great Francolino bahi you mentioned (Xplor and Win SX3 are both 6.75 kg) accidentally in Kgs, But Shotguns weight in Pounds. Any how good information.
    Bhai 12GAUGE Ko3 is the best.

Now few things decided.....

1. Beretta A400 Xplore with KO3 that is a big plus.

Beretta A400 Xplore with KO3 - Price is 290K.
    Winchester X3 - Price 150K.

What about Choke lenghts of both Shotguns any impact puts more pellets on target ??
    Yes 'kg' was by mistake, actually it was 'lbs' (pounds) which I corrected now. You have mentioned a "Million Dollar Question" and that is: choke length debate??? ... which technically put is "DO LONGER FORCING CONES WITH OVER-BORED BARRELS THROW MORE UNIFORM AND/OR DENSER PELLET DISTRIBUTION/PATTERNS" ... and fine-tuning it, I will rather put it do they give such advantage with the 1-1/8 oz or more probably 1-1/10 oz regular Shaheen field shotshells used 98% here in our country?

Longer forcing cones e.g. Optima, Optima Plus & Optima Plus HP used in Beretta Teknys Optimachoke (bore dia 0.732"), Urika2 (0.732") & Xplor Unico (0.730") respectively, and also Browning Maxus (Invector Plus w bore dia 0.740") as against Beretta A302,303,304,390,Urika & Teknys mobilchoke with bore dia of 0.723" and standard flush chokes .... do they give better patterning etc? ... This is the question which specifically few people have accurate answers or statistically correct answers. General theory goes like this ... longer forcing cones especially a 1"-1.5" parallel section extending out of the barrel and over-bored barrels give a slight edge in patterning because of longer taper and a parallel sec to stabilize the shot load after going through the longer taper ...while the over-bored (larger dia) barrel exerts lesser force on pellets striking with each other, thus making pattern less deformed .... I doubt that it is practically of significant difference in reality. espec using reg Shaheen loads which are LEAD shells and most of the game in West is centered around steel loads .. and that is where Beretta has now introduced Optima Plus HP for steel cartridges in Xplor Unico.

Quote Originally Posted by avais View Post
    Brothers i have a privillage to taste both the guns. Lot of comments are already expressed above. Further Xplore KO might be a point of prestige but SX3 being one of the fastest semi auto for a price against value is not a bad choice. SX3 is 4+1 whereas Xplore after removing the plug is 3+1. The cleaning mechanism of SX3 is very simple however raw materials used in Explore has an edge. Both the guns are great but for waterfowling where there is a greater risk of dirt sand and mud, I prefer SX3. Explore has an Optima high performance choke system which definately improve the slug patterns and effective range. SX3 is great but Xplore is so far king in semi autos.
    @avais, brother whats ur opinion about KICK-OFF version vs NON-KICKOFF version in A400 Xplor Unico by Beretta, with regard to firing ease & comfort.