Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Review / Range Report

Blog Entries
    Disclaimer: All thoughts / opinions / experiences expressed here are my own and by definition, are very subjective. Also a bit biased. Your mileage May and perhaps Will vary.

Starting with the Specs:
    Caliber: 9mm
    Barrel Length: 4.72 Inches, 114 mm
    Weight: 1180 grams unloaded.
    Trigger Mechanism: SA / DA - Over Travel Adjustable. Combat Curved
    Total Length: 207 mm
    Height: 147 mm
    Frame: Large
    Mag Capacity: 18
    Front Sights: High Viz Fiber Optic, Red - Dovetailed, secured by a one time use pin.
    Rear Sights: Fixed. Bomar cut (Black broad serrated blade ) - Dovetailed secured by a screw.
    Grips: Soft rubber, Full checkered.
    Safety: Manual Safety, Trigger safety notch. No firing Pin Block.
    Slide Construction: Steel
    Frame Construction: Steel
    Coating: Polycoat
    Price: 90 grand.

Much has been said about this handgun. First things first, it’s a CZ, a CZ that the CZ team itself (among many others) for limited IPSC and variants. The rest can be read up on the internet and a certain T shirt owned and proudly worn by our Chief.

It’s a recent purchase and I have shot around 350 rounds (and counting) through this handgun and I must say, "The more, the merrier" :)

Before Purchase:
    The internets been full of Shadow this and Shadow that. Some pro's, some cons, and of-course, some bias. Cutting it short, this handgun's been on my wish list since last year. Finally I heard the CZs are in town. Better grab one I thought. When I asked about it, the dealer said he didn’t have any Shadow but a CZ 75 phantom. Finally, when I inquired about the "steel" frame phantom, I was shown the Shadow :) The first thing that you notice holding it is the balance. The gun is slightly muzzle heavy. The second thing you notice is the weight (1.2 kg Approx.)

In the Box:

1. The plastic box had a the usual paper work,
      A bore brush
      A flimsy plastic pull through lever
      Two 18 round mags
      The pistol itself
      A spare main spring
      A target print out marked with the serial number of the gun.[/*]

After Purchase ( In chronological order):
    Scrubbing. Happiness. Dry firing. More happiness.

Off to the Range:

Disclaimer II: Please note that I am not very experienced at pistol shooting and a novice at best. Got my range membership recently as well. In fact, it was my third time at the range when I shot the shadow for the first time. So, I do believe the pistol can do much better in the hands of a good shooter.

Day 1 with the shadow:
    The pistol shot beautifully. The impatient man pulling the trigger, not very much. The results were good none the less. Specially the pseudo rapid (one shot / second. ) target results shown below. This was shot with Chinese Polytech Ammo (White Box). Targets are 25m Precision Pistol targets.

Things that stood out on day 1: The trigger creep. Pre travel had creep. The break had creep. Fortunately there wasn’t any post travel and the trigger reset was very good.

Day 2 with the shadow:
    Day two was better. I had more patience and shot much better groups. Targets follow. All shots were taken at 15 meters. Targets are standard NRA 25 m Precision Pistol targets. The First target is wrongly marked as a previous day target. Kindly excuse the error.

Total Stats:
    Number of rounds: 350
    Types of Ammunition fired: Armscor FMJ, Chinese Polytech FMJ, Wolf FMJ, FNH FMJ (Belgium) , POF FMJ, Tula FMJ.
    Stoppages: None what so ever.

Looking Back / After thoughts.
    Value for Money: Unbeatable.
    You pay almost equivalent to the US price (880 USD after discount) unlike other 500 ~ 600 USD pistols which are retailing here for 300 K onwards.
    Overall a wonderful purchase. I would love t get my hands on another one and just put it in my closet. Its just that comforting to own one.

Trigger: A love hate relation.
    The trigger is much better now than what came out of the box. Pre travel has no creep now and the break is crispier. I m counting on the trigger to really shine once I cross the 1000 round mark.
    The shadow will take you for a ride if you want to do IPSC style shooting (speed) but it is a difficult pistol to shoot for precision shooting. Not very forgiving when it comes to trigger errors. You do something slightly wrong, and rest assured, it will be reflected on your score. Its just that way with precision machines I guess :) The CZ TS on the other hand, is very forgiving. But lets save the TS for later.

Recoil: This gun handles very nice in my hands. I can assure you of the fact that you will not wait to pull that trigger again, and again. Very little muzzle climb. The sights just hug the target as if tied down by an invisible bungee cord. It’s a pleasure to shoot.

Someday / Maybe Projects:
    I m thinking Mamba!
    I dont suffer from the disillusion that CZs are the ultimate handguns.
    I enjoy every minute of it

Great Review and really nice shooting starfish bro beautiful handgun
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Starfish bro for such a comprehensive intro to your new precision tool :) and I like the BIASED part ;)
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

A.O.A, Good review . Dear I think its shadow tactical model with rails too. Agrees with every word of yours as I also love this gun. Appreciate the effort. Regards.
    A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart and wins with his character.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87
    Thanks Starfish bro for such a comprehensive intro to your new precision tool :) and I like the BIASED part ;)
    lol! you are always welcome sir. I do accept the shortcomings on my part and realize that i am not capable of an objective review when it comes to firearms :) so I put it in writing. Better say it before any one else points it out :P

Enthusiast
    @great efforts sir for putting together a good review of cz75 sp01 .sir kindly tell us from which dealer u purchased it and for how much

Great Review and nice shooting bro.
    Qaim Khani

PakGuns Photographer Moderator! Naveed_pk's Avatar
    Very Comprehensive reveiw Starfish bro :) Thanks for sharing
    "It's better to have firearm and not need it than to need one and not have it."

Blog Entries
    nice gun and review by SF.
    i have checked its trigger,its some kind of LAY CHIPS. a very good addition to Pakistani market by CZ
    La Fortune Sourit aux Audacieux

Congrats on new purchase. And very nice review
    Been there, Done that

very good gun in the hands of a very good and natural shooter. :cool:
    “Action without thought is like shooting without aim.”

Member Emeritus
    Great gun and very nice shootig Starfish brother... :)

Blog Entries
    Excellent reportage Starfish bro, really enjoyed your review and beautiful pics of a wonderful gun. Great goin'! :)

Btw, the "wishing to have another one in the closet" desire/dream/greed is quite common it seems! ;) :lol:
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Excellent review Bro. after reading cant wait for one :) :)
    A Good Plan For Today Is Better Then A Great Plan For Tomorrow

Member Extraordinaire
    Congratulations . I have fired Abbas shadow and I fully agree that it is a great pistol

great gun sir, with nice reviews
    “You can get more with a nice word and a gun than you can with a nice word.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    Excellent reportage Starfish bro, really enjoyed your review and beautiful pics of a wonderful gun. Great goin'! :)

Btw, the "wishing to have another one in the closet" desire/dream/greed is quite common it seems! ;) :lol:
    Thank you all!
    lol@ Ak sb, we all suffer from the very same syndromes :P

@Starfish very good review indeed! This is the gun and review I was waiting for! Thank you very much bro!

You wrote: "The shadow will take you for a ride if you want to do IPSC style shooting (speed) but it is a difficult pistol to shoot for precision shooting"

I am sorry but could not get the meanings of the above line. If it is what I think it is! then maybe its my luck that the guns I like have some trigger problems :rolleyes:

I mean that other than this one I like P99 very much and people have reservations about its trigger as well, while I think its trigger is simply marvelous!
    Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof. (V)

Blog Entries
    Not at all Hammad. The trigger on the shadow is marvelous. The above line is a comparison with the CZ TS trigger. You will come to realize problems with even the premium triggers out there once you shoot the TS.
    And you re welcome. :)

PakGuns Expert Panel
    excellent review of a great pistol.
    \"You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man\'s initiative and independence.\"