Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makarov-Origional & Copy

Supreme Member

Makarov-Origional & Copy

Quote Originally Posted by Syed Adeel
    @Gilani sahib..... Dear sir Plz mention some hallmarks and characteristics / qualities of a good Makarov, making it easy for us to choose a better one when selecting one to save us from making a mistake while distinguishing between ( Darra made Maks, and genuine KGB approved, soviet made original Maks) I mean nishanian and also keh kia kia hona chahiyah aur kia nahin.. making it a better Mak.
    Adeel sahib, our darra people have come up with some very good copies of Makarov which from outside just look like a original Makarov and have the same markings that an original Makarov has. So its not very easy to recognise from outside.

However, from inside, its a different story and one can clearly see the difference in machining of an original and fake makarov. Manay internal parts of original Makarov have a reddish shade in the metal and are finely machined. Morever, the slides of two original Makarovs would be inter-changeable. If a friend of yours has an original Makarov, take it along and put the slide of the other Makarov on this one and vice versa. The slides should change without any problem. In case of a fake, the slide would not be inter-changeable. But this method can not be tried if your don't have a Makarov owner friend :| .

Other than this, the raking of slide, the quality of trigger, the smoothness of magazine release lever would tell you that this is an original. Specially the trigger in a fake one would be far far inferior to the original, which is very crisp and has minimum play. The recoil spring of original Makarov has a smaller diameter at the breach end and bigger diameter at the muzzle end. But this thing has been copied in few fake Maks as well.

Another sign could be that original Makarovs would be around 20 years old at least and would accordingly have signs of wear and tear (unless you find one like me which had remained well preserved in a box for over 15 years and I had personal knowledge of this :cool: ) . The fake ones are mostly very clean looking with fresh bluing. But this is not a very authentic way of checking a Makarov.

Buying it from a trustworthy dealer whom you know since long would also help a great deal. But please do it soon because Maks are getting more and more expensive with every passing day. :(

Happy search for a Mak :)

Makarovs are one of our favourite Guns.Lot has been discussed.I have Splitted Gillani Sahib's post into this new thread as it has very useful tips to differentiate between Origional and the Copies.
    I have also seen copies and it is very difficult to found out the difference.The Copies from Darra can be made around 8000 Rs.
    One more thing to add is that the origional ones are dull in color while the copies are shiny and with fresh finish.
    A Good friend & Gun ALWAYS helps you in Need !

Enthusiast
    @Gillani sb, Sir if you had knowledge of a max preserved in a box for 15 years i am sure it would have been in a box for 15 years ;)

Supreme Member
    Fahad sahib, I knew that my friend's father would take it out after 4-5 months, check for rusting etc, clean and lubricate if needed and again put it back. He fired just a few rounds to check the gun when he bought it and after that, it was never fired. BTW, magazines remained loaded (7 rounds, not 8) for around 15 years and are still working ok with me.

Blog Entries
    as MAK copies available in gujranwala,there is big difference of finishing and operation of both ends.one can easily recognize the original and fake one.but never came across the fine copy which Sir Gillani is referring to.
    asking price in gujranwala is 15K for a fake one.
    La Fortune Sourit aux Audacieux

Enthusiast
    @Gillani sb, Sir have you ever come across a holestor for Mak that the spetsnaz use. The gun goes in from the top, but instead of pulling it out to draw the weapon, it is pushed downwards, thus racking the slide and chambering the round.

Supreme Member
    Topak bhai, I have seen such copies of Mak in Quetta which are very nicely made. They are so good that unless one field strips it and compares it with an original Makarov, it is hard to say with surity that its a fake :)

Fahad sahib, I have also heard of such a holster but have never seen one. Can you post the pics, please.

regards

Blog Entries
    yes Sir gun smithy in Pakistan is cosmetically very fine.
    La Fortune Sourit aux Audacieux

@ Gilani sahib..... Thank you very much sir Gilani for your kind response, like always before. I had the suggestion in my mind to request you for an exclusive MAKAROV thread for this, one of the world's greatest pistols, which you have already, very rightly done. I have started my search for a good Mak and prior to having it found, I wanted to know certain things from you. And it will also be beneficial for us all here at PakGuns. Thank you once again dear sir....!

And yes sir,..... What if there is no Makarov friend around to swap the slides with? Would you be somewhere :) ?
    ''O, it is excellent to have a giant's strength, but it is tyrannous to use it like a giant.''

Expert Member
    Gilani Sir have described all the key points to check for Mak, but i will add one thing which always helped in differentiating between the original & clones. Russian Mak have hard chromed barrels which are very prominent if you look down the the barrel, while local clones are not equipped with such barrels.

Member Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilani
    I have seen such copies of Mak in Quetta which are very nicely made. They are so good that unless one field strips it and compares it with an original Makarov, it is hard to say with surity that its a fake :)
    regards
    +1 Gilani Sir...... :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed Adeel
    @ Gilani sahib..... Thank you very much sir Gilani for your kind response, like always before. I had the suggestion in my mind to request you for an exclusive MAKAROV thread for this, one of the world's greatest pistols, which you have already, very rightly done. I have started my search for a good Mak and prior to having it found, I wanted to know certain things from you. And it will also be beneficial for us all here at PakGuns. Thank you once again dear sir....!

And yes sir,..... What if there is no Makarov friend around to swap the slides with? Would you be somewhere :) ?
    @Syed Adeel..........Bro, Gilani Sb would love to be around for any Mak "venture", but if unable to, rest assured, I'll be there for you, and I'm confident, together we can't get bluffed around with, don't worry. ;) Good you revealed your secret "desire", gonna discuss this with you tomorrow over here! ;)
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Supreme Member
    Happy search for Makrov Adeel sahib. To eliminate the chances of a fake one, you may like to see the NIB Baikal Makarov which is available in Peshawar. AK sahib can give you more details about it. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilani
    Happy search for Makrov Adeel sahib. To eliminate the chances of a fake one, you may like to see the NIB Baikal Makarov which is available in Peshawar. AK sahib can give you more details about it. :)
    @Gilani Sb............Sir, your suggestions cause me "itch"! :lol:

My pleasure indeed, and you just extended our meet tomorrow by another 2 hours, minimum. Thanks. ;) :lol:
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Supreme Member
    My pleasure Sir :D

@Ahmad Bhai thanks for the Mak checking test.Yes you are right about the Chromed Barrel.The copies dont have them.
    But in Peshawar i have seen a Mak Copy which has the origional Barrel.It was made on order from Darra and the barrel was origional.
    @Gilani Sahib i have seen some Mak copies with origional internal parts.So be careful.
    A Good friend & Gun ALWAYS helps you in Need !

Supreme Member
    Kamran sahib, I agree :)

Expert Member
    @ KA khan, thanks lala for heads up alert. i might buy the newer one although have decided to put a halt on handguns purchase as current count is reaching high so more interested in adding some long guns.
    cheers

Enthusiast
    @Gillani sb, sir i could not find proper pics of it, but here is a video link of how it works.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5H2GYOhKtM

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fahadkhalid
    @Gillani sb, sir i could not find proper pics of it, but here is a video link of how it works.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5H2GYOhKtM
    thanks for shairing fahad bhai