Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Range and Comparative Review - NP22

Supreme Member
    RANGE REVIEW - NP22

As most of us already know, NP 22 is a Sig P226 clone exported by Norinco (not manufactured by Norinco).
    Itís available in the market in 38 k to 43k. Another Chinese variant of Sig P226 clone is HP 77B which is more or less similar to NP22 except it has slightly more weight. NP22 has an alloy frame and steel slide whereas HP77B has a steel frame & slide.
    This is an NIB NP22. Comes in plastic box, grease packed. Includes two magazines.

NIB uncleaned NP22. Accessories include a cleaning rod, a cleaning pin and two spare springs (slide catch lever spring and trigger bar spring)

Here are the specs
    Model - Norinco NP22
    Caliber - 9x19 Para
    Barrel Length - 112 mm
    Overall Length - 196 mm
    Height - 140 mm
    Width - 37 mm
    Weight w/o mag- 780 gm
    Weight with mag- 875 gm
    Trigger pull DA - 6-7.5 daN
    Trigger pull SA - 2-3 daN

After cleaning, this is how NP22 looked like (much prettier I believe, matching the background :))

NP22 disassembled............ Assembly and disassembly of NP22 is a simple affair, nothing complicated about it. Please note that the barrel of NP22 is not chrome plated from outside, though its chrome plated from inside. The machining and finish of handgun parts is of average quality, rather crude in case of some of the parts. But this is something akin to all Chinese handguns.

I have so far fired 150 rounds with this NP22 and another above 400 rounds with 3 other NP22s belonging to my friends. Itís a fairly accurate handgun. The pics that you see below are the best fire from this gun. On all other occasions, NP22 could not produce that good a result. Distance, ammo and other details are given on every target sheet. On all occasions, I fired with both hands in standing position. Here are some of the results.......

These are the first 20 bullets fired from NIB NP22. The accuracy, as you can see, is pretty ok. Except two bullets, remaining 18 bullets making a group of 5.5 inches. The score was 159/200 (79.5%). One bullet in 10, nine in 9, four in 8, three in 7, two in 6 and one in 3 (which is obviously my fault).

Fired 20 bullets in four sets of 5 each. The fire was pretty accurate and I scored 181 / 200 (90.50 %) which is a good score from any handgun.

Fired 40 bullets in eight sets of 5 each. Scored 335/400 (83.75%) which, keeping in mind the number of bullets, is not a bad fire at all. You can see the bullets literally pulverizing the bull and #9 circle. The problem is that I have fired a lot with this handgun afterwards and have never been able to achieve such good results. All other results have been fairly good but nowhere close to these three occasions. (Probably I was in good form that day) :)

To check long range accuracy of the handgun, fired 10 bullets from 40 meters. 8 bullets hit the 12.5 inches target, 2 bullets missed the target. Out of 8 bullets, 7 were on the right side and 1 on the left (which was firers fault). Just to check, fired 10 bullets on the same target from Taurus PT99 and it did well, scoring 79/100 from 40 meters (PT99 bullets are encircled in black and NP22 bullets are encircled in red. From long distance, NP22 displayed just reasonable accuracy. You can see it for yourself :)

Observation
    - Not even a single stoppage in 150 rounds. A reliable gun.
    - The gun is fairly accurate under normal coditions. However, accuracy is affected at longer ranges.
    - Trigger is mediocre, has some play and breaks off inconsistently at times. There is surely room for further improvement.
    - Reasonably good grip.
    - Broad Glock like night sights.
    - Strong frame and rugged body parts. A gun designed to last for a reasonably good time.
    - The finish of the gun is ok. There is however room for improvement.
    - The magazine is well built and easily slides into the gun (unlike CF 98).
    - Not a suitable gun for CC during summers. However, can be carried on person during winters.

Overall, I would rate it as a reliable and fairly accurate gun in this price range. HP77B which is an almost identical handgun from China costs less nowadays and offers almost the same quality (so its a good buy nowadays). If one likes Sig P226 shape and is looking for balance of quality, reliability, accuracy and price, NP22 is one of the better options. The fact that its the official sidearm of Pakistan Army also adds to its valuue. Happy reading. :)

Supreme Member
    COMPARATIVE REVIEW - CZ999 Scorpion vs NP22 vs CF98

The other day I was talking to 12guage, our PakGuns expert. He asked me to compare NP22 and CZ999 as both are absolutely similar looking pistols. And although there is not much of similarity between NP22 and CF98, we thought they also merit a comparison because CF98 is the most popular Chinese handgun on the forum.

Here are the specs, first NP22, than CZ999 Scorpion and CF98 on the extreme right
    Model - Norinco NP22 Zastava CZ999 Scorpion CF98
    Caliber - 9x19 Para 9x19 para 9x19 para
    Barrel Length - 112 mm 108 mm 110 mm
    Overall Length - 196 mm 198 mm 190 mm
    Height - 140 mm 140 mm 135 mm
    Width - 37 mm 34 mm 35 mm
    Weight w/o mag- 780 gm 840 gm 670 gm
    Weight with mag- 875 gm 934 gm 760 gm
    Trigger pull DA - 6-7.5 daN 4.5 daN Not known, but extremely light trigger
    Trigger pull SA - 2-3 daN 2 daN

Here are few pics of all three handguns. Please note that CZ999, apart from having a far better finish, has only one lever working as both slide release lever and decocker whereas NP22 has a separate decocker and slide release lever. NP22 has accessory rails whereas CZ999 and CF98 do not have though accessory rail models are available in both handguns. NP22 shown in the pics below is NIB and has fired 150 rounds. CZ999 has fired over 500 rounds and CF98 shown below has fired over 1500 rounds. All have been fired by me.

The barrels

Both barrels have similar mechanism. However, CZ999 has a full chrome lined barrel which is known to have a life of 200,000 bullets (one of the highest claimed by any manufacturer for any handgun). NP22 barrel is chromelined only from inside. Please see the quality of machining in CZ999 barrel and the rough edges / crude machining on NP22 barrel.

CZ999 slide on top, CF99 in the center and NP22 on the bottom. You can distinctly see that all parts in CZ999 are quality machined and constructed to last a long time. The recoil spring is threaded, much stronger than NP22 and CF98 spring. CZ999 slide is 2.5 mm thick whereas slides of both NP22 & CF98 are 2 mm thick. CF98 has a rotating barrel mechanism.

For me personally, reliability, accuracy and ruggedness are three non-compromisable attributes of a handgun. Other attributes like finish and looks etc are of lesser importance and do not really effect the performance of a handgun. A good handgun must ultimately do what it has been designed for, ie, fire accurately with no stoppages and should do it consistently for a long period of time. Lastly, it should be reasonably priced for a common joe. These have been my basic parameter for comparing these guns. Accordingly, I have given more weightage to these aspects.

ACCURACY (20)
    A gun must be accurate and if it is not, it does not qualify to be a good handgun, no matter what its finish, quality or bla bla bla capabilities might be. For being consistent and fair in this most important of the tests, I fired sets of 5 rounds from each gun from same distance with same ammo and under same conditions. The aiming point was kept constant for all handguns and no correction were applied to get closer to the bull. The details are given on each target sheet. Here are the results...........

Fired 10 rounds each from CZ999 and NP22 in sets of 5 each. CZ999 bullets have been encircled. NP22 scores 76 / 100. CZ999 scores 81 / 100.

NP22 bullets have been encircled and is generally firing on the right but the group is ok. NP22 scores 62/100, CZ999 81/100

Five bullets each from NP22 (encircled in black), CZ999 (encircled in red) and CF98. CZ999 is generally close to the bull, Np22 is again shooting on the right but making a tight group and CF98 is way over the top. NP22 35/50 (70%), CZ999 45/50 (90%) and CF98 28/50 (56%)

Five bullets each from NP22 (encircled in black), CZ999 (encircled in red) and CF98 (not encircled). CZ999 shoots on slight left but is ok, NP22 is on the right again. CF98, three bullets are very good, one is way on the top and the fourth one missed the target completely. These two bullets were fired while I was still aiming and a very slight pressure on the trigger resulted in gun firing. NP22 29/50 (58%), CZ999 39/50 (78%) and CF98 32/50 (64 %)

Cant give the scores here because the target does not have standard measurements. However, you can clearly see that Taurus PT99 is the best closely followed by CZ999, NP22 is just ok and CF98 is quite ordinary. Two of the bullets from CF98 went outside the target and were again fired while I was still aiming. Thanks to extra light airgun like trigger of CF98.
    Seeing the above results, I rate CZ999 as the most accurate, followed by NP22 and CF98. My grading would be CZ999 16/20, NP22 14/20 and CF98 12/20.

RELIABILITY (20)
    I did not experience a single stoppage of any kind in both CZ999 (500+ rounds) and NP22 (125 rounds). In CF98, there have been around 20 failures to feed in 1500+ rounds which is not really alarming but once compared with CZ and NP, CF98 loses. All stoppages in CF98 have been failures to feed and mostly occurred with POF ammo. However, I have been firing the same ammo with other pistols also and hardly ever had any stoppages. I give 20/20 to CZ999, 19/20 to NP22 (only because it has fired less) and 15/20 to CF98.

PRICE (10)
    In this department, CF98 wins all hands up. In my view, you can not find a better gun in 28 k. In this department, CZ999 gets 6/10, NP22 7/10 and CF98 9/10.

BALANCE (10)
    CZ999 is the most well balanced out of all three, closely followed by NP22. Both have a nice grip and a good feel. CF98 is also quite well balanced but not equal to the other two. I give 7/10 to CZ999, 6.5/10 to NP22 and 6/10 to CF98.

FIELD STRIPPING (10)
    Both CZ999 and NP22 have a very simple and quick field stripping procedure. CF98 is a little tricky and one needs to practice its stripping drills to achieve proficiency. Even after practice, I can field strip, clean and reassemble both CZ999 and NP22 in 1/4th of the time what I take for CF98. In this area, I give 9/10 to both NP22 and CZ999 and 7/10 to CF98.

MAGAZINE
    A magazine is a very important part of a handgun. A faulty magazine means problems and lack of confidence in the handgun at the time of need. CZ999 and NP22 both have similar looking magazines which are crude in looks but solidly built (all steel) and I have so far not observed any problems with them. CF98, in my view, has very mediocre magazine. In fact that is one part of the gun which in my view needs definite improvement. First of all, it does not slide in smoothly and one has to either wrestle with it or press the magazine release catch to let it go smoothly. Secondly, I feel CF98 magazine has something to do with its FTF problems which I have experienced with all 5 CF98s that I have fired. Another thing about CF98 is that its extremely hard to take out the round if one wants to. Feeding in and feeding out bullets in CF98 mag is quite tough for the fingers :) For magazine CZ999 and NP22 get 8/10 each and CF98 gets 6/10.

TRIGGER
    Bad trigger control is one of the major reasons of inaccurate and inconsistent fire and a good trigger helps improving trigger control. Out of all, CZ999 has the best trigger, followed by NP22 which is not bad at all. CF98 has a very light trigger right from the start and after firing 1000-1500 rounds, it gets extremely light, resulting into un-intended discharge at time. Chances of un-intended discharge are far more if one fires CF98 along with other handguns which certainly would have a trigger heavier than CF98. That is perhaps the time one should change the trigger spring of CF98. You can see in the pics also that on many occasions I fired while I was still aiming and had slightly pressed the trigger while firing five bullets each from CZ999, NP22 and CF98 for comparison sake (And I am no novice in firing with CF98, have already fired over 2000 round with 5 different CF98s). In trigger, CZ999 gets 8/10, NP22 gets 7/10 and CF98 5/10.

FINISH AND LOOKS (10)
    Though it has no effect on the performance of a handgun, it does have an effect (of varying degrees) on the owner :). In looks and finish, CZ999 simply stands out. In first look, it looks like a top of the line quality handgun. Comparing between CF98 and NP22, IMO, CF98 has better finish and its parts are comparatively better machined / manufactured. In finish and looks, CZ999 gets 9/10, NP22 6/10 and CF98 7/10.

When I total up the points given in various aspects, the total comes to CZ 999 Scorpion getting 83/100, NP22 scores 75.5/100 and CF98 gets 67/100.

So I can say that CZ999 is like VTI Oriel, NP22 is like Toyota XLI and CF98 is like say, Toyota XLI (but 2006 model). :)

All above opinion is based on my experience of firing and handling these handguns and by no means on some scientific laboratory tests. I am now fed up of writing and I am sure you would be fed up of reading, so please overlook if there are still any deficiencies. :)

Happy reading

@gilani
    sir jee wanted to known that np22 has a extra lever as compared to zastava cz999.
    is it an external safety???????????

Supreme Member
    Mitho bro, in NP22 the right most lever / catch is the slide release catch and the one in the middle is decocker. CZ999 has only one lever which does both the jobs. :)

nice review Gilani cz999 is a very beautiful gun
    \"There\'s no such thing as a good gun. There\'s no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys.\"

What a fantastic review so nicely explained very appropriate writeup with so beautiful pics what a photography indeed,it is
    a kind of real pleasure to see your incredible hard work I must say this is a true contribution to Pakgunners so impressive & so beautiful very very well done brother Gilani

Blog Entries
    Excellent review and photography Gilani sahib ! I enjoyed it very much.

Gilani Brother You explained extreamily beautyfully just like a international magzine's standard & first time I have got, wuts the technical differences between CZ999, NP22 & CF98 and agreed 100%.
    ďAny tool is a weapon if you hold it right.Ē

PakGuns Expert Panel
    comprehensive comparison, beautiful pictures and interesting guns. kepp it up brother.
    \"You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man\'s initiative and independence.\"

Supreme Member
    @Abbas
    @Sensei
    @shahzad awan
    Thanks for the comments Sir :)

Now Faheem's question which has been debated a lot on this forum already, however, still my bit on it.....:)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faheem
    But one question just for my knowledge, why Chinese army doesn't accept NP 22 as a side arm....
    100% correct reply to this question can only be given by Procurment / Induction Department of Chinese Army. :)

However, we can only base our logic on the available data and past practices that various armies in the world have followed to select a sidearm. The criterion drastically differs from a developed country to a developing country. Few points to consider in my personal view:

- For inducting any weapon etc, an army like any other department lays down its set of requirements called user's requirement. For every requirement, a bottom line is set below which a product will not be acceptable. Requirements for a handgun for example may include aspects like accuracy, reliability, ruggedness in field conditions, availability (specially if it is not a locally manufactured weapon), price etc etc. There could be many political reasons / compulsions as well for selecting a particular weapon which we may not discuss here.
    - Each one of the above requirements is in fact a limitation. Developed countries normally have resources to overcome all or most of these limitations. For developing countries, it may be more of a compromise.
    - Therefore, a weapon selected by an army may not be the best available weapon in the market but the one that provides best balance between various user requirements, some of which are inversely proportional to each other.
    - Moreover, NP22 is a copy of Sig P226 and CF98 is a locally manufactured weapon. There may be certain ego issues in inducting a clone as well. There could be many more reasons.

Hence this argument that so and so army has selected so and so weapon as its official side arms so that weapon is top of the line weapon, may not be true in all cases. Certainly that weapon will not be a trash because it does meet the bottom line of all requirements laid down by that army but may not be the best available weapon either. I hope I have not further confused the issue :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanJamshad
    Comprehensive comparison, beautiful pictures and interesting guns. Keep it up brother.
    +1

Gilani brother thanks for your explaination

ďAny tool is a weapon if you hold it right.Ē

Blog Entries
    Excellent comparative review Gilani bro, covering all the aspects that make a handgun winner or looser and explained in a very practical way. Write up is one of the best reviews on Pakguns which I thank you for Gilano bro :)
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Supreme Member
    @Hassan Jamshed
    @Sqnldr_Shariq
    @Faheem
    @Denovo87
    Thanks a lot for the comments :)

Gilani Sahab, very well and briefly explained review. And above all Chief Sahab has praised it... :) :)

Expert Member
    One of the best reviews to date.Helped me a long way towards putting CZ999 on my must have list.
    There are only TWO times when you can have too much ammo... When you are on fire or when you are drowning...

A very detailed and interesting review. Fun to read from start to the very end.
    Thanks for sharing and cheers for the efforts and the time you put into it :)

Lord of War
    May be its just me but I find the magazine of CF98 better than some other double stack magazines that i have seen. In CF98 ones doesnt have to slide the round inside rather then just press them from top which IMO makes reloading faster. However, I agree that a fully loaded magazine of CF98 requires a very hard tap.

Moreover, what model of CF98 do you have.? Its the 1st one that I am seeing w/o rails. Virtually every CF98 that I have seen has accessory rail.

Great & interesting write up. Appreciate your efforts.
    A pretty quick hit is better than a lightning-fast miss. -- Jack Weaver

Great comparison and review Gilani saab! :) Keep em coming!
    Criminals are the biggest advocates of Gun-Control. When it's in place, they have the gun and they're in control.

Excellent contributions to the forum GILLANI Sb.
    ďAction without thought is like shooting without aim.Ē