Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 294

Thread: Hobbies besides Pakguns

  1. #81
    Enthusiast bazkhan35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Karachi / UK
    Posts
    414
    GILANI
    Reading Started as a child with child story book and have continued ever since till to date. Like to read about history, autobiographies and Urdu literature. Awaz e Dost has been my favourite book in Urdu and Animal Farm in English literature. Love to read Arnold J. Toynbee and Ibn e Khuldoon for historical works. Have my own library of over 500 books.

    Nice one Sir
    Would love come to see your collection :)
    Khuda tujahy phir kisi tufaan say ashna kar day, Kay teray behar ki monjaun main istarab nahin

  2. #82
    Member Extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sargodha
    Posts
    3,358
    @gilani sir,great list of your hobby,fishing and shooting we know,other are also interested,it means you will give some time to us when you make visit sargodha:)

  3. #83
    PakGuns Elite! AK47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ALL PAKISTAN
    Posts
    6,791
    Blog Entries
    2
    @MR...........Very cute baby there, Sir, Mashallah! :)

    @Gilani Sb..............Sir, instead of writing a whole essay on your interesting off-time profile above, I believe the closest single letter description I could come to, on all your endeavors above, is simply classy: "CULTURE"! :)

    INTERESTING, and VERY CULTURIZED background, indeed! Great, we share a few things in common, indeed. :)
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

    "Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

  4. #84
    Supreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sialkot
    Posts
    2,346
    AK sahib, thank for such great words. .............. so when are we meeting. :lol:

    Bazkhan sahib, you are most welcome. :)

    Dr sahib, I will definitely visit you when I come to Sargodha :)

    regards

  5. #85
    PakGuns Elite! AK47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ALL PAKISTAN
    Posts
    6,791
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilani
    AK sahib, thank for such great words. .............. so when are we meeting. :lol:

    Bazkhan sahib, you are most welcome. :)

    Dr sahib, I will definitely visit you when I come to Sargodha :)

    regards
    Gilani Sir, I feel it's gradually turning more from a meeting to "dating" Sir! :lol:

    And I'd love to "date" you Sir anytime soon, just pray I could get stock of something "new" for you, you've already tested all my poor few items, Cougar, PT 145, TT! :)
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

    "Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

  6. #86
    Senior Moderator Ka_Khan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    4,022
    Gilani very nice hobbies.....there was time when youngsters used to collect stamps and coins...but now in this cyber world those hobbies are left behind.
    I had more then 10000 stamps and still whenever i have time (1-3 years) i open them and re-arrange them.
    A Good friend & Gun ALWAYS helps you in Need !

  7. #87
    Senior Member Mangloo Ramzani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Areas
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    @MR...........Very cute baby there, Sir, Mashallah! :)

    @Gilani Sb..............Sir, instead of writing a whole essay on your interesting off-time profile above, I believe the closest single letter description I could come to, on all your endeavors above, is simply classy: "CULTURE"! :)

    INTERESTING, and VERY CULTURIZED background, indeed! Great, we share a few things in common, indeed. :)
    Sir, thankyou for your kind words!

    The picture was taken at Islamabad Aero-modelling Club, about a year ago. Now, my baby always snatches the Controls from me whenever I'm practising on the RC Simulator on my PC, and tries herself to fly the planes. She just loves Planes! :D
    Take care of your gun and your gun will take care of you!

  8. #88
    PakGuns Elite! AK47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ALL PAKISTAN
    Posts
    6,791
    Blog Entries
    2
    @MR...........You're welcome Sir! :)

    Islamabad Aero-Modelling club? hmmm.........So that's where the recent "Darra" venture was planned? ;) :lol:
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

    "Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

  9. #89
    @ AK47,

    I think we should start a match-making service to 'facilitate' Gilani Sb by going through our Member's Weapons List thread and identifying stock items with members who live close to Mangla. Next will come the persuading part.

  10. #90
    Supreme Member Topak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gujranwala
    Posts
    2,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka_Khan
    Gilani very nice hobbies.....there was time when youngsters used to collect stamps and coins...but now in this cyber world those hobbies are left behind.
    I had more then 10000 stamps and still whenever i have time (1-3 years) i open them and re-arrange them.
    hey........ :)
    i also have few hundreds....... collected from my childhood to college life...but now no progress.

    Gardening, my first hobby. Inherited it and have continued with it all my life. Have quite a collection of gardening books (around 50). Botanical gardens is one of the must see places for me whenever I go abroad. Still remember hundreds of botanical names along with origin of different species / families.
    Sir Gilani......
    i am also in gardening...but i am not a successful gardener......now learning Bonsai... do you have any bonsai plant/interest ?
    would love to see your plants and garden.
    La Fortune Sourit aux Audacieux

  11. #91
    Supreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka_Khan
    Gilani very nice hobbies.....there was time when youngsters used to collect stamps and coins...but now in this cyber world those hobbies are left behind.
    I had more then 10000 stamps and still whenever i have time (1-3 years) i open them and re-arrange them.
    Hell i started collecting stamps when i was a teenager and haven't given up yet.It has turned into a investment portfolio for me.
    There are only TWO times when you can have too much ammo... When you are on fire or when you are drowning...

  12. #92
    Supreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sialkot
    Posts
    2,346
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    Gilani Sir, I feel it's gradually turning more from a meeting to "dating" Sir! :lol:

    And I'd love to "date" you Sir anytime soon, just pray I could get stock of something "new" for you, you've already tested all my poor few items, Cougar, PT 145, TT! :)
    OK, let's than date ASAP. :D


    Quote Originally Posted by Ka_Khan
    Gilani very nice hobbies.....there was time when youngsters used to collect stamps and coins...but now in this cyber world those hobbies are left behind.
    I had more then 10000 stamps and still whenever i have time (1-3 years) i open them and re-arrange them.
    Very true. :)




    Quote Originally Posted by Topak
    .........i am also in gardening...but i am not a successful gardener......now learning Bonsai... do you have any bonsai plant/interest ?
    would love to see your plants and garden.
    Topak bhai, Bonsai is a specialised field in the gardening world and takes lot of time to master. I have been more into foliage and flowering plants. Had a great collection of some rare plants but gifted it to few true plant lovers a few years back (those who could take care of them like their kids). Due to the nature of my job, I have to shift quite frequently and it's very painful to see the plants being destroyed during shifting process. Don't have a great collection nowadays but intend starting it again soon. Cant stay away from plants for long. Have been doing horticultural jobs for my friends voluntarily for quite some time now.


    Quote Originally Posted by Faisji
    Hell i started collecting stamps when i was a teenager and haven't given up yet.It has turned into a investment portfolio for me.
    Now this sounds interesting. Any details Sir? Have you been dealing with Stanley Gibbons etc?
    Till a decade back, I used to get Stanley Gibbons catalogs every year and stay current on the prices. Still have quite a few stamps with a catalogue value of over 100 $, specially GB stamps from Victorian, King George V and King Edward VIII era. :)

  13. #93
    Supreme Member Topak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gujranwala
    Posts
    2,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    Blooms at present in my little collection..







    La Fortune Sourit aux Audacieux

  14. #94
    Member javed354's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ.
    Posts
    179
    dear bro topac, nice pics.
    Do Good Have Good.

  15. #95
    Supreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sialkot
    Posts
    2,346
    Great pics Topak bro. Its lovely to see a pink colour Zantedeschia. So you have a love for true bulbs. The best thing I like about true bulbs is that whatever you sow in this season, so will you reap in the next (in true bulbs, flower bud forms in side the bulb a season earlier and if it has not, a true bulb will not flower). So there is a bit of challenge invloved in growing true bulbs. :)

  16. #96
    Supreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sialkot
    Posts
    2,346
    PS: Please do lot of mulching for Zantedeschias and water them sparingly. They come from South Africa where it does not rain all around the year. So in the natural environment, Zantedeschias are tuned to spells of drought. Continuous water may result in rotting. :)

  17. #97
    Supreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilani



    Now this sounds interesting. Any details Sir? Have you been dealing with Stanley Gibbons etc?
    Till a decade back, I used to get Stanley Gibbons catalogs every year and stay current on the prices. Still have quite a few stamps with a catalogue value of over 100 $, specially GB stamps from Victorian, King George V and King Edward VIII era. :)
    I have about 25 stamps that collectively worth and i checked this last night about $56k.When i bought them it costed me about $4k.

    I lived in UK about 12 years and had the opportunity to visit the Stanley gibbons shop on weekly basis.They use to have deals where they would dispose off a collection at fraction of a price to fulfill wills or legal obligations.I picked up a few gems there.
    Also they had a bargain bin where people could buy by weight(yes)& get lucky.I know a man who found Cottonreel stamp (1850) worth 20000 to 40000 pounds in that bin.My best pick was worth 1500 paid only 15 pounds for a " 100 grams of stamps"The bin has been discontinued since.

    Best deals are always found in least expected places my most valuable stamp actually was bought in antiques market in london as part of stamp montage by a 14 year old in 1865.I was lucky enough to know my stamps to recognize the "gem" that was there.BTW i paid 20 pounds for it.
    There are only TWO times when you can have too much ammo... When you are on fire or when you are drowning...

  18. #98
    Supreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sialkot
    Posts
    2,346
    Great to know this Faisji sahib. There are not many in Pakistan who approach such levels in Philately. Though I know a person in Pakistan who had a great collection of Great Britain including more than 10 variants of Penny Black. On top of all, he had his collection very well arranged in SG albums. Starting from day one, ie, the issue of Penny Black and till the last issue before his death, he had all of them handwritten in beautiful calligraphy, with boxes made for each and every stamp issued by British post office. Off course many hundreds of stamps were missing but he had over 1000 all different GB stamps. Unfortunately, that great philatelic treasure was lost after his death.

    When I come to Peshawar I would love to have a look at your wonderful collection. :)
    regards

  19. #99
    Supreme Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilani
    Great to know this Faisji sahib. There are not many in Pakistan who approach such levels in Philately. Though I know a person in Pakistan who had a great collection of Great Britain including more than 10 variants of Penny Black. On top of all, he had his collection very well arranged in SG albums. Starting from day one, ie, the issue of Penny Black and till the last issue before his death, he had all of them handwritten in beautiful calligraphy, with boxes made for each and every stamp issued by British post office. Off course many hundreds of stamps were missing but he had over 1000 all different GB stamps. Unfortunately, that great philatelic treasure was lost after his death.

    When I come to Peshawar I would love to have a look at your wonderful collection. :)
    regards
    I know a few collectors that millions in stamp collections.Mosr billionaires used stamps/paintings/wines/horses as a alternative to just cash as they grow in value over time.I have visited a private collection with over 125000 collectables.

    Most of collection is housed at SG vaults in london for safe keeping and insurance purposes.
    There are only TWO times when you can have too much ammo... When you are on fire or when you are drowning...

  20. #100
    Supreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sialkot
    Posts
    2,346
    It would be a treat to visit SG. But before that I must take out my collection and see if they are still ok :) Hobby seems to be reviving after many years :D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •