Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies besides Pakguns

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    I used to love it.. .. Lovely game chess.. Till I met some1 lovelier still.. We and the lovely person used to love to play this lovely game...

But alas.. The lovely person went off in search of greener pestures. and Now I never played hte lovely game ever again..

(All horrible puns absolutely un-intended)
    Our prayers are with u all times ED bro. Someday u will be playing the lovely game of chess with your lovely one by the grace of Allah. Ameen
    Mung Yu The Khyber Zalmi Pukhto Zamunga Shaan Dai.
    Munga Pukhtana Yu. Pa Watan Zaan Qurban Dai.

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
    Our prayers are with u all times ED bro. Someday u will be playing the lovely game of chess with your lovely one by the grace of Allah. Ameen
    Ah!

May your mouth be filled with oodles of unclarified butter and sugar!
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

The physical are hardly ever loyal, sir. IIt's only the abstract which are always there for you when you want them.

How about you reinstal the chess game on your phone and play it with someone not so lovely (me)?
    Oh! Do you hear it? The dogs of war await you!

Expert Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand View Post
    Do you have an android phone, sir ji?

Maybe we should play online. No?
    Al Hamdulillah I have an android phone...
    But I have left playing chess since long...!
    Last edited by 1stranger; 05-04-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    Islam began as something strange & will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers. (Muslim)

That means I will have less trouble pushing you to the corner. Ha!

There's an application for android phones called 'chess live'. It's freely available for download on google play store.

Get that and we will immediately become enemies, trying to get at each other's throats.

Note: guns cannot save one's king from death on the chess board. Neither can guns kill your opponent's king. Some wars require your touch thumb and your brain, not your bullets and trigger finger.
    Oh! Do you hear it? The dogs of war await you!

Hi PG members

- Collecting "Stamps and Coins"
    - Internet Browsing - Facebook - Twitter - PakGuns
    - Fishing
    - Watching Movies
    - Coffee
    Last edited by usman.baba; 05-05-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Eddit
    Insured By Glock !

My hobbies include: Watching movie; running; listening to music; FB; reading encyclopedia and good books.

RC Heli

Originally Posted by Mian Jee
    How can i get one ?

I think there was a Hobby Shop in Islamabad who use to sell them.
    Buying them is not an issue as you can order one online as well. But learning to fly can be very expensive and time consuming if you don't have a coach on the field with you. Because these are not considered as toys, the rotor is spinning at 1800-3000 RPM depending on the size of the heli. The one I am holding in the picture is a Blitz Avro 90 size heli each balde approx 120cm (1800-2200 RPM).
    Depending on your configuration but even the basic configuration will cost around AED 25k including all the electronics.
    And a single crash will wash away all the money you have spent on it or may be cause a serious damage to a person or a property as it runs on Nitro Fuel.

Better to start with RC Glider or RC Jets as those are easy to fly easy to fix and less expensive.
    Or go for a Quad Copter if you are interested in areal photography. it is also easy to fly and has an option to land back at the point of launch if you lost the track of it.

Fudgepacker
    Originally Posted by adnanbangash
    I am mainly into the RC Heli flying, building and repairing them.

That is cool bro! If you don't mind, could you tell us a little bit more about the controls, and your equipment, perhaps in the "other hobbies" thread, or just start a new one? I'd be really interested to know more about this activity.

I used to race nitro powered rc cars, and it always boggled my mind when I saw the guys with helicopters. They had so many switches it seemed more complex than a real helicopter. I mean, it looked like there was a lot more going on than just throttle, pitch, and roll.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RC Heli

Aquarius

PakGuns Elite!Join DateFeb 2010LocationPeshawarPosts9,321

Actually the two fans Heli is more stable than one.. I mean it's control with remote device is better.

Sir, heli with double rotor (one rotor on top of the other) is called coaxial RC Heli. I agree it is easy to control.
    But there are few limitations.
    Limited manuers i.e only forward backward and left right movement.
    Less powerful (can not be flown in open fields even if there is a little bit of wind) mostly flown indoors.
    Limited Signal Range. If you want to just have fun for a week or two then this is the one for you.

Where as the one flies on the fuel can be flown inverted and all kind of manuers that a man can imagine are possible. Has more power and can be flown in acceptable windy condition. The transmitter has range as far as you can see the heli.
    Looking at the cost involved you need to think very carefully before getting involved in it. You need to consider if you want to keep up the hobby in long run.
    I takes at least few months even if practiced daily in the presence of the coach just to be able to fly it confidently without any assistance and to safely land it.

Fudgepacker
    Originally Posted by adnanbangash
    I am mainly into the RC Heli flying, building and repairing them.

That is cool bro! If you don't mind, could you tell us a little bit more about the controls, and your equipment, perhaps in the "other hobbies" thread, or just start a new one? I'd be really interested to know more about this activity.

I used to race nitro powered rc cars, and it always boggled my mind when I saw the guys with helicopters. They had so many switches it seemed more complex than a real helicopter. I mean, it looked like there was a lot more going on than just throttle, pitch, and roll.[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about the switches on top of the transmitter.
    Then I will give you idea about the common function/usage and why do we need them.
    In most of the transmitter these are interchangeable like you can select what function you want to assign to which stick.
    Their function is to adjust (increase/decrease) the travel limit of a specific component and also can be programmed to increase the RPM to certain limit in certain conditions/manuers. More RPM = More stability and also More RPM=More fuel/battery consumption.
    For example in a normal flight (Sport Flying) for a 60 size helicopter 1700RPM more than enough to keep it flying and stable.
    But when you want to do those crazy upside down manuers (3D flying) you need more RPM therefore you need to program that specific switch to increase the rotor RPM when the switch is engaged.

There is a switch for Gear, this can be used in RC Plans for landing gear.
    And in RC Heli this is used to change the mode of the Gyro Sensor from Normal to Head Hold (HH).
    Gyro is the sensor used to control the Tail by automatically adjusting the angle of the Tail Rotor Blades in response to the wind blow.
    When the Gyro is in Normal Mode then you need to constantly control the tail with the help of control sticks on your transmitter. But when the Gyro is switched to HH mode then it will automatically compensate for the wind blow and hold the tail in which ever direction you put it. And will save the heli from spinning or blowing the tail from one side to another.

If you want to setup lights on the heli a switch can be assigned to turn the lights on and off while the heli is up in the air.

The more channels you have on your transmitter the more switches and switch positions you will have on them.

But it is not necessary to use all of them if you are not into 3D flying.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I aeromodel ( rc helos and stuff )
    Play video games. open world, rpg/JRPGs/MMORPGs ( ive left the cod/fps world for a long time now. its all the same recycled garbage to me now. I only play the occasional fps for either the story ( A la Halo ) or just as a general good multiplayer game. )
    Shoot things ( airguns, not strictly a gun )
    Try to fish. And fail.
    practice knife throwing ( some butter/dinner knives work really well )
    Explore empty places and deserted areas ( new society? abandoned factory or buildings? Off the beaten path? Unknown water body that showed up in google maps satellite view? Random plain with nothing in it? Im there. These places have a odd beauty to me. )
    build robots and devilish mechanical and electrical contraptions? ( amateur robotics ) ; and by extension, program computers and microcontrollers
    Annoy people
    partial foodie/ connoisseur of fine dining, and street food ( i come across new places in explorations )
    Try to cook myself.....usually ends up in no good.
    Stalk attractive women
    contemplate the world and the universe
    Study game theory and basic psychology ( try it out, its really interesting)
    audiophile ( high end headphones and audio equipment )
    Hack stuff ( everything from building my own PC to jail-braking/rooting my phone, custom OS, hacking video game consoles, re-purposing old tech )
    Study the occasional science book
    Watch tv shows, movies and animated stuff religiously.

Supreme Member
    @adnan, are gyros with HH a new innovation for rc helos?What is a good site to shop for something small scale, for indoor (maybe a little outdoor) flying for a beginner? But I don't want a child's toy....

The man who fears no truth has nothing to fear from lies.
    (Thomas Jefferson)

your heli's are cool man, enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Fudgepacker View Post
    @adnan, are gyros with HH a new innovation for rc helos?What is a good site to shop for something small scale, for indoor (maybe a little outdoor) flying for a beginner? But I don't want a child's toy....
    Nah, HH gyros are a..recent development but not new. They have been around for the last few years.
    Start out with a cheapo toy coaxial * MAKE SURE IT IS A 4 CHANNEL MODEL * ( with two sets of blades ) It will be a nice and easy entry into the hobby and a painless exit if you dont fancy it. Fly a good 30 or so flights with it, should take 1.5 weeks to get a feel for it and the controls. If you play video games with a controller, youve got a advantage here. by that time the brushed motors in it will have burnt out already, throw it away.

follow that up with a Fixed pitch/ FP RTF( ready to fly ) helicoper, a small electric in the 100-300 size range. Youll have to buy it from a hobby shop, or do like i do in canada, buy it off hobbyking.com .

The final step this is very important. Do not buy a CP ( collective pitch helicopter ) Yet, Or at least for the next 3 months. instead get a good simulator ( pheonix flight and realflight are good options ) and practive practive practive. every time you crash, had it been a real cp heli, thats at LEAST 150 dollars down the drain. belive me, the 100 or so you will pay for a simulator will save you so much in the long term, you have no idea.

After you have learned it, all normal flight except for 3d, go buy a trex 450 from rotorquest or a assult 450 from hobbyking. Make sure they are RTF, And even if they are RTF, they need some tools and setup. Make sure to read up on it. so from now, if you started right now, to learn the hobby and get into it the quickest and cheapest,
    it would take you about 2 months if you video game on a console, and 3 if not.
    and in terms of cash,
    30 for the coaxial toy thing, 100 for the FP helicopter, 100 for the simulator, and finally 400-600 for the full fledged 450.

Supreme Member
    Thanks for the advice bro! About the FP RTF, what are you referring to when you say "100-300 size range"?
    I'm used to seeing size (of cars) expressed as a scale ratio.

(Thomas Jefferson)

Supreme Member
    Damn you for telling me about hobbyking! You are going to cost me money!!

(Thomas Jefferson)

Supreme Member
    Ok, I've played with the toy ones, so I'm going to skip that step. I'm now looking at the "RTF 3D helicopters" section. What is the difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones?
    The Walkera Super CP caught my attention. I like the transmitter and the spare parts and batteries it comes with. What do you think?
    Last edited by Fudgepacker; 21-09-2014 at 06:36 AM.

(Thomas Jefferson)

Ok, I've played with the toy ones, so I'm going to skip that step. I'm now looking at the "RTF 3D helicopters" section. What is the difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones?The Walkera Super CP caught my attention. I like the transmitter and the spare parts and batteries it comes with. What do you think?
    Nope. Nope. NO.ill correct your...misbehavour first then ill answer your Qs. one by one..

Get that silly head out of the 3D helo section boy. Those are another way of saying CP helicopter. imagine.... your helo is a ball, placed on the top of slightly curved bowl, that is inverted. Or a plate with a curved bottom. ANY input be it enviromental or your input will make the ball go off in one direction. So to do anything at all, you have to constantly correct your own inputs; let it go off too far on one side, and your copter inverts and poof. Its freakishly hard. Ive been playing video games and am used to analoge controllers, been playing with them ever since i was six, for no less then 4-5 hours a day. And even i consider it to be a hard task. So behave and follow the guidelines; Your wallet will thank me later.

In electric copters, the 100-200-300 etc etc refers to the rough dia of the rotor blades. I.E, the blades on a 450 trex are 450mm, or 45 cm in diameter ( from the tip of one to the tip of another ) The bigger you go, the more payload capacity if you want to get into aerial photography, drone work etc, or if you wanna stunt, the bigger it is the more "hang time" you get due to inertia to make input movements when changing direction or doing stunts. however, i must stress, these are not toys, and even if people think it is a toy, just pack up and leave. Do it for your own sake. Speaking in terms of your conscience and legally. A 450 size copter can take off a wrist if given the chance and the right circumstance, and a 700 size, well, a trex 700 recently decapitated a teenager in europe ( and thats not even the largest size available today, the trex 800 just came out) . Just google it. imagine the legal hell if some idiot kid came and tried to screw with you during flight?

the super CP is a money dump. Thats a full fledged hobby copter, which is a CP ( collective pitch ) helo. Way above your skill level.Even with all the spares, with you experience itll be in the garbage by nightfall. Pick up a walkera super FP or a hobbyking FP 100. make sure to buy spare blades, tail booms, a tail motor+ wires and landing skids, along with a extra canopy if you want, those parts will be the first to go in a crash.

But flying a FP copter is not hard. its just slightly more difficult then a toy coaxial. the purpose of this is not to make you feel how a cp helo is like, only to make you familiar with the added dimensions of control. provided you fly......3-6 times a day, youll be prepped after a week. Hand it off to some kid as a present when your done.

Now onto your Qs. Expensive and cheap....itll be a while till you get a actual feel for it, but ill explain as best i can. All of the hobbyking stuff is china made. Its not made to handle serious stuff, but can get you started. Aside from the RTF stuff ( good-ish, will get you started cheaply and without hiccups ), if you make a copter out of a kit from HK, there will be some obvious quality issues. sometimes a main shaft wont align properly, or maybe some other small issue. This wont make it completely useless, but you will have to retrofit and modify some to get it all to work, but it will not function as well as something from a real company.

Imagine it like a car made from scrap parts, that were all new. Some retrofitting is required, some work and modification, and it works, but with the occasional hiccup or issue that you wouldent face in a properly set up, and manufactured machine. Thats only talking about HK parts. pretty much everything there in the helo section is their own china stuff, or stuff they are reselling.

But lets say you say **** HK, i want something nice. you pay 100 bucks more, and pick up a helo from a company like ( the popular and good quality ones are here= align( its the samsung of the helo world. Parts available everywhere and sold everywhere; quality is good, and sells for quite a bit less then the rest. They make the T-rex line of copters.), thunder tiger( main dominion is nitro helis and in asia only. Has a almost no foothold in Europe/N.america, walkera ( Namerica only) , blade, ( Nmerica only ) , and finally, SAB ( german company, operates in EU and Nmerica only, very high quality stuff, very expensive, very good looking. )

After that the if you want to go higher you have to build your own custom setup, buying the frame;etc everything seperate. The real performance/specialized machines are made here, for extreme stunts, for scale models of real copters, and for aerial photo/video.That should be descriptive enough.

If you refuse, to go the FP route, you can go directly to a sim ( go for it, you have unlimited tries so WTH do it. ) itll save you the 100 or so on a fp, as you can load FP models into it. I know 100-something CDN is alot for software, but its worth it. I swear to god, DONT SKIP buying a sim. If you do, you will end up leaving the hobby broke, disheartened, and with a broken helicopter. There was a guy like you who bought a CP copter and tried to fly it, he wrote his story on rcpak, and after no less then 15 seconds, he lost his 50k investment. You dont NEED it, as many people have learned without it, but through much wasted money, trial and error. But technology is making your life easier. Go for it. A moderately beefy computer is needed.

In sims, the best 3 are widely considered to be Realflight, phoenix flight and Heli-X. If you need a Transmitter for it, pick up a specktrum dx6i if the sim supports it, or just buy their own USB custom transmitter for the sim. .( make sure its genuine, there was a thing lately about fake dx6is selling ) Later on, you can buy the BNF ( bind and fly ) version of your helicopter.

HK transmitters with much more channels and value for money are available but they are not compatible or as reliable ( its downright hell to make it work. Believe me, ive tried) Any more Qs, just post em here, but if you want a faster reply, just email me. ch2shahid@gmail.com
    Last edited by czman; 21-09-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Supreme Member
    Thanks bro. I'm pretty sure i won't be interested in carrying a payload, but would like a larger size for more stability outside. I looked a bit more at cp and just the radio does look like a lot of stuff I won't know how to use. I guess you're right, I don't want to get too discouraged early on.
    I was so close to buying a Walkera Master last night, entered my card info and everything It's crazy how expensive shipping gets when you have a lipo battery in the order!
    Anyways, think I have a lot more research to do, thanks for the tips!

(Thomas Jefferson)

Thanks bro. I'm pretty sure i won't be interested in carrying a payload, but would like a larger size for more stability outside. I looked a bit more at cp and just the radio does look like a lot of stuff I won't know how to use. I guess you're right, I don't want to get too discouraged early on.
    I was so close to buying a Walkera Master last night, entered my card info and everything It's crazy how expensive shipping gets when you have a lipo battery in the order!
    Anyways, think I have a lot more research to do, thanks for the tips!
    If you want more information, there are two sites i can reccomend.
    rchelicopterfun
    and
    radds school to rotary flight.

Both are low budget sites run by a single person, but the information they host and give is very nice to get a greenhorn started. Yeah, lipos cost more now because of the extra shipping. better off to just save and buy a bunch in bulk. makes it cheaper. But then again, thats nothing compared to the price of nitro fuel.
    Once again, ignore everything right now, all the electronics and blah and blah, just pick up a sim and learn how to fly. Then go and research on the internet,Then for your first cp copter, buy either a align trex 450 or a belt cp. The 450 size is considered to be the absolute best size for beginners. Nice and stable, bang for your buck along with cheap parts.

Believe me bro, ive already paid the price of understimating how hard it is. I ended up with one partially incomplete 450, and one small HK FBL 100 with a broken tail. Not that im leaving the hobby in any sense, but im strapped for cash.

P.S
    Im sure i asked you this one before but what is your own gun collection? You live in canada, so you have a RPAL licence i presume?