Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The CZ999 Skorpion Thread (Lots of Pictures)

Blog Entries
    Salams All,

Recently I bought a CZ 999, most of you will be familiar with it by now as it has one of the highest spots on our recommended list. Here is a short review followed by pictures, also since many members interested in the CZ999 are new to the world of firearms they would like it compared to competitors in it's price range and beyond. It retails between 43 k to 50 K depending on city and bargaining skills.

This is a medium frame pistol made by Zastava of Serbia which was formerly known as Crvena Zastava hence the CZ designation. The pistol comes in a simple white cardboard box with a second magazine and a barrel brush. It's 9mm with a magazine capacity of 15 shots.

First impressions of the pistol are that it feels slightly heavy but solidly built, the workmanship seems good, much better than expected. Although the manufacturers claim it is an original design, it is very much a replica of the SIG 226 which is one of the best pistols of the world. There are three external controls on it, a slide release which also acts as a decocker, a dis assembly latch and the magazine release button. The interesting thing is that the pistol is completely ambidextrous i.e the magazine release switch and slide release/decocker are on both sides of the pistol which is great for left handed shooters.

The pistol fit snugly in my hand, the slide is fitted tightly on the frame and the action is very smooth. The trigger is at 4.5 pounds on double action and about 2.5 on single.

On the technical side the slide is machined from a solid piece of steel which makes it much more stronger and durable. The barrel like most good modern pistols is cold forged and chrome plated, I was surprised to learn that with proper maintainence the barrel life expectancy is 200,000 rounds ! No one is going to get anywhere near that number but it's phenomenal and says a lot about the manufacturers confidence in their product.

There are a few nags about the pistol as well, for one the front sight of my pistol is bent a little to the left, I will probably have to get it replaced. The other concern that I have is that I don't really like the look of the dis assembly lug from inside, it seems a little thin for the heavy slide. These are minor irritants which can be easily fixed but the only major issue I have with the 999 is the lack of a safety. There is a firing pin block but that is no replacement for an external safety.

I tested fired some rounds in Islamabad and in Lahore a few weeks back but not enough to form a solid opinion. Till I fire about 200 rounds from my own piece in the same environment as every other pistol I test I won't comment much. My expectations are quite high though. Will post a range report when the range reopens InshAllah.

Here is the usual eye candy. Normally I don't compare with more than two pistols but since CZ999 is getting to be a pretty popular pistol and people ask many questions about size etc I have also added some other pistols for comparison in later pictures. Enjoy !

I'm going to go out on a limb and compare it's build quality with a Glock 17 ;)

Size Comparison with large, medium and compact frame pistols.

beauties!!!

specially Glock & canik.

Awsome.

Member Extraordinaire
    great h guns are and also good efforts for pictures ,cz 999 looks now very attractive.:)

Member Extraordinaire
    Great review, sir! And even greater pictures! Plus the last pic was just awesome! Can you do one where the thickness of the the pistols can be seen? One glance at your last pic was enough to see a basic size comparison...
    Outlawing guns will ensure that only outlaws will have guns.

@ Abbas bhai.... kindly tell us whether it has full support chamber or not?
    Bullets change government far sure than votes

Lord of War
    Beautifull gun

Congratulation Abbas bhai on a new entry in yr arsenal.
    A man\'s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful Abbas, wish you best of luck with this. Though it may not be of any need for you, I just somehow wish it also had been "railed". Yet, looks like something real robust. Congrats again, let's hear from your sessions, preferably with the Cannick55 of yours side by side!
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Congratulations Abbas.

Seems to be of pretty much the same size as a CM9 and Stoeger.

@Abbas Bhai

Congratulations on ur purchase and i'm sure that in time this handgun will grow on u even more. me and Dr. Zakir believe that this pistol is the best there is (atleast in Pakistan) in its price range in terms of robustness and accuracy. only three handguns that I believe are rightly priced, one is CZ-999 "Scorpion" and the second one Baikal MP-446 "Viking" and the third CF98. to add more, to me and Dr. Zakir only these three handguns have the highest benefit-cost ratio.

kindly allow me to add a few things, the manufacturer claims that the barrel life is a minimum 100K whereas a test piece even went up to 200K without any part failure. it is the only thoroughly tested clone in the world as most of the tests were conducted in the US. infact the results were so great that it also has licenced manufacturers such as South African Tressitu TZ-99 and the Israeli KSN Industries Golan. imagine that! licenses issued to manufacture clone of a clone.

as far the sight being bent a little is concerned, well.... the one's i've seen, all had the front sights a little to the left (from the shooter's perspective) from dead center. so I guess u'r sight probably isnt bent, its just a little bit to the left. but we shouldn't consider that as a flaw cause its front and rear sight both are dovetailed. which is awesome cause any gunsmith can easily align the both sights and we can also center our aim though drift adjustments made possible with this kind of setup.

still, if u dont like the sights, they are totally replaceable by standard Sig P226 sights or better yet u can install meprolite's adjustable night sights for Sig P226. which is a great feature for a clone. here, it simply beats Baikal hands down.

as far as the internals are concerned, I found the finishing to be quiet alright, alot better than Baikal and CF98. the slide rails looks solid and rugged. found the twisted wire type spring to be a little bit odd and weak. its barrel however speaks loud of quality and robustness. polished stainless steel barrel with absolutely no tooling marks (burrs). it has fully supported chromed lined chamber along with a feed ramp.

so overall a great buy indeed. have fun and safe shooting with ur new toy.

Regards.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Please excuse my intrusion for deviating slightly from the topic, but, if it come down to deciding between a Stoeger Couger and the CZ999, which one would each of you prefer and why?

Question is directed towards those who have owned / used both of these.

Enthusiast
    congrats abbas bhai on adding a new weopen to ur list

Blog Entries
    Congratulations Abbas, now your recomended handgun list exceeded the total of licenses I am waiting for :)
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

NOTE: This is answer to Farhaan's querry from the thread "Need Giudance on Large frames vs Compacts and Sub-Compacts", as it includes pictures, I thought to add them in The CZ999 Skorpion Thread so that similar information stays together.

Quote Originally Posted by farhaantariq
    @ midreestaj: i have never seen cz999, is it chinese? what capacity it can fire and what about its magazine capacity?u own one?plz post some pics and specs abt it, need some info dude.
    Personal thoughts:
    I have pursuaded two of my friends in getting their first pistol as Zastava CZ 999 Scorpion. If by any chance I cancel my plan for a 308 rifle and go for a pistol.. without a second thought this is going to be my choice. Its a personal matter but to me a 226 design fits in my hand so well and its draw and point at target drill feels just so right. I feel confident with this design as it perfectly meshes up with my stance and hands, as well as mind.
    I would also post a range report on this pistol as soon as I get a chance. Also, below CZ 999 belongs to one of my dearest friend, we got it for 48K from Gujranwala City Baig Sons GT road. I have personally fired a dozen rounds through it, and I managed to stay within 3 inches at 12+ yards. I still feel the need to test this weapon throroughly and very soon.

Pictures Below:
    Well these pics were taken on the day 1 of this pistol as we brought it to my home, stripped it to verify its internals. Completely degreased it to dry condition, lubed it then and re-assembled it. (Please dont mention finger inside the trigger gaurd - I appologize in advance). Also, please note a little tool markings inside the slide internals, breech part of the barrel /on the locking cam and rear sight. This is justified by the price tag on it.
    Regards.

My finger on the trigger with what's so foreign in my sights ..... Anger rise !
    We wage a war ... our nature to preserve... By any means... our enemies be gone...!
    No longer can we wait, As an enemy drains our future,As the light of a new day shines, Our anger fuels our march this dawn

Congrats Abbas bai for the CZ999.
    It is always the empty gun which kills.
    www.gondals.blogspot.com

excellent and highly informative comparison. very well done chief.(y)
    i am the master of my unspoken words and slave to those that should have remained unspoken. -----Hazrat Ali (R.A)

Nice pics Idrees. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    congrats sir for new piece...hope it will serve you in long terms in compare to kanuni and stoeger.. ;)
    La Fortune Sourit aux Audacieux

@Abbas

Congrats for the new purchase. Nice, well built gun and gud to read positive reviews.
    If Guns cause crime, mine must be defective.

@Midreestag,

Nice gun and great pictures bro. But keeping a finger on the trigger while U R not intending to fire is some thing U shouldn't be doing as per safe gun keeping/handling goes (I hope it's not U holding the gun with ur finger on trigger)in the last pic.

We all need to read & adhere to all the safety measures regarding keeping and handling.

Safe Shooting
    If Guns cause crime, mine must be defective.