Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Firearms ? Need advice on buying your first Gun ? Read this !

Blog Entries
    Salams, a lot of the friends that come here to PakGuns are relatively new to the world of firearms and are thinking about or have recently got a new license and are looking for the right right gun to buy for their SD or HD (Self Defense, Home Defense) needs. Many new threads are opened everyday about the topic and it gets repetitive and the information becomes less useful over time.

I would like to suggest a couple of guns for the first time users in various price ranges and a mini one line review of the suggested firearm. Details and discussion on any of them can be found by clicking the search button on our panel bar and typing the desired gun name i.e Glock or CF98.

To start off with I would like to say that the most important thing when keeping a gun for self defense is knowing how to use it properly. All guns are useless and counter productive if the shooter does not have a reasonable level of proficiency in the use of the firearm. Proficiency only happens by firing atleast 200 to 300 rounds in a controlled environment like a range and at a target. Once you are hitting a head size target at 10 to 25 feet you are good to go since in 90 % of the cases that is the maximum distance your gun will be used for defensive shooting.

Most people new to firearms do not understand what calibers are and what difference it makes. In a nutshell calibers are difference sizes of bullets, .22 being small, 9mm being average and .45 being large. The difference it makes to New Users is that generally the larger the bullet, the higher the recoil and lower the accuracy of the second shot. I suggest selecting 9mm as a caliber for your defense needs. It's like Goldilocks porridge not too hot, not too cold and just right ;)

In the world of firearms and defense the most important thing is reliability and all the weapons listed here have proven their worth by multiple tests. Ofcourse the more you spend the more reliable firearm you will get.

In 9mm there are several guns available in the market in varying price ranges. A suggested few are:

In the Rs. 30,000 price range there is the CF-98.

It is made in China and is a decent medium size light weight gun. It is quite accurate and probably the best you can buy around Rs. 30,000.

In the Rs. 45,000 price range, your options open up quite a bit and there is the CZ 999, the Canik 55 and the Stoeger Cougar 8000.

CZ 999:The CZ is a great gun, extremely accurate and well made. You cannot go wrong with it. It is a high quality copy of the SIG 226 pistol which retails for around Rs. 350,000. It is made in Serbia.

Canik 55: This is my personal favorite. It's a clone of the CZ75 B and is the most accurate sub Rs. 100,000 pistol I have ever fired. Very high quality copy. Made in Turkey. I got mine for just under Rs. 40,000.

Stoeger Cougar: Probably one of the most discussed pistols at PakGuns, this pistol is very highly regarded by all for it reliability and size.

Taurus PT 99. If you are a fan of Beretta and large shiny objects appeal to you ;) I suggest looking no further than the PT 99 by Taurus. It is one of the best pistols of the world in any price range. Very high quality piece and one of my favorites. I have shot over 4000 rounds though my pistol and it's still brand new. Very accurate too. The only drawback is the size, it is a large frame pistol and not really comfortable to carry around. Very highly recommended. Price Around 54 K.

Apart from these guns, nothing in my opinion can be justified because of the insane prices. The only gun that I would recommend spending more money on is either the Glock 17 or the Glock 19. The 17 sells for around Rs. 225,000 currently and the 19 for Rs. 250,000. The difference between the two is that the 17 is larger and more accurate and the 19 is smaller and slightly less accurate than the 17. The reason you pay a much higher cost is reliability and durability. Glock is absolutely the most reliable handgun in the world and it will last multiple lifetimes.

A closing note on magazine capacity ammunition type and durability.

Boys will be boys and every manufacture that makes products aimed at men will stress "more is better" but that is not necessarily always the case. Although a 20 round magazine will get "wow's" from your friends, more rounds in your magazine will make your weapon larger and heavier. For most situations you do not practically need anything above 13 or 15. Infact that is excessive as well, what you can't do in the first 5 shots you aren't going to do in the next 20. So if the handgun you are choosing has a magazine capacity of 13 or 15 you are good to go. If you feel you need more rounds, then that's what the extra magazine is for.

Ammunition type. For target shooting and practice you use normal 9mm rounds which cost around Rs. 35 (POF, CHINESE). For Self defense however you use "Hollow Points". These bullets are specifically designed for defensive purposes and will expand upon impact thus having a higher probability of knocking your target down. They cost around Rs. 65 to Rs. 250 depending upon make. I would suggest atleast firing a box of 50 rounds of hollow points though your gun to make sure they work well before loading your magazines with them.

Durability. Most people will go on and on about barrel life and forging technology and yada yada. Yawn.... :rolleyes:

A gun will last "FOREVER" if maintained properly. You must clean your gun within 24 hours of use or it starts to get damaged. Barrel life is nonsense and is of no concern to 99 % of the people. Ammunition is so expensive that if we take the CF 98 whose barrel under the worst conditions still lasts 3000 rounds then that means you fired about Rs. 100,000 worth of ammunition though a Rs. 30,000 gun. Not very probable, if someone has that much money to spend on ammo then I'm sure they will buy a better gun first.

And last but not least remember that if you own a firearm you are a grownup and a responsible individual. Anger, Machoism and Irresponsible behavior have no place in the life of an firearm owner. Before you own firearms these three things should be ingrained in your psyche.

1). EMPTY OR LOADED, NEVER EVER POINT YOUR GUN AT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY.

2). ALWAYS ALWAYS KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER TILL YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE OF THE TARGET.

3). NEVER CARRY/USE A GUN UNLESS YOU NEED TO.

Hope this little write up helps all our new brethren to the wonderful world of Firearms ! If anyone has any question I and all PakGunners will answer them gladly. No question is too basic or foolish, we are all learners here.

Member Extraordinaire
    very good info for all especially those who are buying gun for first time

Again one of many useful and very much needed posts by our Admin.
    I guess Abbas Bhai, you dedicated this Weekend to PakGuns :)
    Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout \"Bang!\"

Blog Entries
    Another Bravo to you Abbas, you seem rocking wild today! Anyhow, another wonderful and all-explicit layout, especially useful to all new users/members. Just hope they look around for this thread, before posting new topics on these very guns! Perhaps all "sticky" threads should be real sticky. This means they should 'retain' the first 3 or 4 positions on the forum opening page, if possible.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Member Extraordinaire
    Beautifully done, Abbas Bhai. Nice work on re-organizing the website, will make things much more smoother.
    Outlawing guns will ensure that only outlaws will have guns.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Abbas, I can say without any doubt taht this is the first post I read on this forum which is, genuine, to the point, precise and above all for Pakistan market n users. Thanks again for such an informative post.
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Very informative, nice effort.

Member Extraordinaire
    @abbas sahib great job,i have saved your article for more anyalasis.:)

Expert Member
    This type of organized information was needed for quite some time. Very well done sir.

Ingenious work.. bhai jan!
    My finger on the trigger with what's so foreign in my sights ..... Anger rise !
    We wage a war ... our nature to preserve... By any means... our enemies be gone...!
    No longer can we wait, As an enemy drains our future,As the light of a new day shines, Our anger fuels our march this dawn

Enthusiast
    What about starting similar threads for riflemen and shot gunners ???
    Guns for peace

Enthusiast
    @ Ahmad,, and specially for those who want to buy a .308 !!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:
    Guns for peace

excellent excellent write up chief.a novice who'll read this would have little to ask afterwards.
    i am the master of my unspoken words and slave to those that should have remained unspoken. -----Hazrat Ali (R.A)

Very precise. It actually answered all the questions i wanted to ask. Thanks for the intro.
    "It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war"
    JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad
    This type of organized information was needed for quite some time. Very well done sir.
    +1+
    Technically, licensed guns are just like passports; should only be handled by their authorized person. - Tareen

Thanx Abbas bhai Very good & to the point, but all the pistols mention above are 9mms i think 7.62x25 calibre pistols deserves some place in it.
    A man\'s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.

@ Abbas Bhai..... its seem that your have dedicated your whole weekend to PakGunners, specially to the new comers.... After reading you this 3rd sticky/Thread (MOI, Congratulatory and this new to firearms) i couldn't resist to say my gratitude for your this devotion in helping all of us here at PakGuns, Especially to help the newcomers.

Much Appreciated Abbas Bhai
    Thanks a lot.... Regards
    \"GUNS only canít assure you a victory until seized by the brave hearts\"

Expert Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANIR
    @ Ahmad,, and specially for those who want to buy a .308 !!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:
    preceisely for those who are dreaming a .308

Good work Abbas.
    So you were 'off' the forum planning these things :)
    A Good friend & Gun ALWAYS helps you in Need !

Rookie
    i have many guns .22,.30 and also a baby browning . plz tell me that i have anew license , i want a concealed and power gun for SD . what about chinease makarov not to tell me about 9mm