Page 1 of 231 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The MOI Arms Licenses Thread (All Pakistan)

Blog Entries
    Salams,

The old MOI thread had gotten too messy and was almost impossible to read with over 1400 posts. I've started this new thread with all the relevant information regarding MOI. Please post all future MOI queries here. Please note we strictly prohibit any discussion of P.B licenses.

Important Update: For all those friends who have questions regarding MOI (book) to Nadra (Card) Licences. Read this for more info:

http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.ph...349#post210349

As of right now, N.P.B licenses are CLOSED but some old applications are being issued.

REQUIREMENTS:

The general and easy procedure to get a license made is go to a firearms dealer with:

a). Copy of your CNIC
    b). Two Passport size photographs
    c). Filled out form (Available at http://www.pakguns.com/armsform.pdf

COST:

Cost of the licenses vary from city to city with Islamabad being the cheapest. Approximate rates for major cities are:

1). Islamabad = Rs. 13,000
    2). Lahore = Rs. 14,000
    3). Karachi = Rs. 15,000

TIME:

Time for getting a license varies depending on your dealer's agent but generally it does take about 30 to 40 days. An efficient agent can get one made within two weeks, a less connected agent will take two to three months.

AMMO LIMIT:

The standard ammunition limit on MOI N.B.P licenses is 100 rounds per year. This limit is also the maximum amount of ammo you can legally carry with your weapon. Ammunition limits can also be enhanced with an application to MOI along with reason for request example sport shooting etc. More commonly is it done though dealers who charge about Rs. 2 ruppee per bullet increase. i.e getting it increased to 500 bullets a year will cost you Rs. 1000. I strongly suggest doing so as 100 bullets a year is useless for any enthusiast or sports shooter.

VALIDITY:

MOI licenses are valid for 5 years from date of issue, after 5 years renewal is required which is a simple matter of paying fees for the next 5 years.

LEGAL LIMITATIONS OF A MOI LICENSE:

The MOI license is all Pakistan which means you can transport and use your weapon legally in all provinces of Pakistan. This is unlike provincial licenses which are only valid within the province issued, so as soon as you leave the boundaries of that province the weapon becomes illegal.

All other rights/obligations/status of both kinds of licenses are the same.

144 Status and MOI

MOI licenses get no special treatment during imposition of Section 144. Don't ever carry your weapon on your person during it, it will get confiscated if found. If you need to carry one, then go to your provincial home department and ask them to issue you a 144 permit. If however you are not carrying but rather transporting your weapon (to the range, to another city etc) during 144 then unload your gun and magazines and put them and your ammunition in separate locked bags in your trunk and have your license handy for any checking. There is no ban on transportation of unloaded weapons. Loaded weapons which are ready to fire and carried on the car or on person are problematic during 144.

I GOT MY LICENSE, NOW WHAT ?

When you get your new license you have 30 days from the date of issue to register it in the main branch of your local National Bank of Pakistan branch. For example in Lahore it is the one on Mall Road, next to GPO, in Isb it is in Aabpara.

The bank official will register your license in his computer and file, write the N.B.P registration number on your license and sign and stamp it. This is usually done on the first page of the book. A date stamp is also applied.

Next you have a six months or in rare cases a three month grace period to purchase your weapon. This can be found on page 10 of your MOI book.

When you find and decide on your weapon of choice then simply go to a firearms dealer, present your license and he will make an entry of the gun serial number on it, along with his dealer stamp and date. He will also give you an original sale receipt of the purchase.

Your last step is presenting your license along with original sale receipt to the D.C.O office within 30 days. They will keep the original receipt, make an entry into their computer and return your license stamped saying your weapon has been registered with them. Ideally your license should be returned the same day and cost nothing but in pursuit of 'Chai Pani' your perfectly valid firearms license will get stuck and take forever unless about Rs. 300 to 500 is presented to the lower staff to move things along.

My license says "One N.P.B", What does it mean ?

One N.P.B stands for One Non Prohibited Bore weapon. In a nutshell you can buy any semi automatic pistol or revolver on the market, any pump action or semi automatic 12 Gauge shotgun or a .22 rifle. In some cases like Sindh the Provincial Government there also allows Bolt action rifles in other calibers like 7mm.

MOI License Verification:

Generally with the N.B.P registration and the D.C.O office, you really don't need anything else. Just MAKE SURE YOU DO THESE TWO THINGS YOURSELF. Licenses that come stamped with N.B.P and or D.C.O are suspicious and probably fake.

For the more paranoid, you can call MOI and follow their guidelines.

Recommend Dealers / Agents:

For the time being we are not recommending any dealers or agents. I would suggest checking out our dealer review section for guidance.

How to Transfer A Gun from One License to the Other:

This is a simple procedure. Take both licenses and the firearm to a registered firearms dealer and ask him to transfer the gun from one license to the other. He will do it for you and also give the buyer a sale recipt. Dealers charge around Rs. 1000 for this service. The buyer will have to deposit his license to the D.C.O office like normal for registration of the new weapon. The seller must also keep in mind that if he's buying another weapon on the same day then no procedure is required, if however he buys a weapon at a later date then he will have to ask his dealer to send his license to the D.C.O office for extension, that costs around Rs. 500/1000 and takes a few days. There is no grace period of even a single day.

Here is the form for Grant of new Arms License :
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Naveed_pk; 10-10-2011 at 12:40 PM.

i must say, this topic Kind of surrounds quite important FAQs. nice effort.

nice info its help new member n for those who going to make his/her very first license like me :) .what is the procedure transferring gun from one licence to other?
    Three Sentences for Getting Success
    know more than other. work more than other. expect less than other.
    [img=PunBB bbcode test]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54487/355/E93BD89BDEDB5D86A300AC46B03B6A72.png[/img]

Good work Abbas Bhai!
    This summarizes all those posts in previous thread.
    Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout \"Bang!\"

Member Extraordinaire
    every thinh covered and uptodate ,which was needed

Blog Entries
    Thank you, InshAllah I will update the main post as needed with useful information so new users won't have to go though the entire thread digging for info. They will find everything they need in the first post on the first page.

@Viking Updated thread to answer your question.

Blog Entries
    Nice, explicit and simple layout Abbas! Think number posts will also lesson now on this thread, since major questions have already been answered by yourself. Bravo!
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Member Extraordinaire
    I have a question I am sure the more experienced members can easily answer. Suppose I get a license made, but I do not want a weapon on it at that time. The six-months grace period passes by without me purchasing a weapon on the license. What next? Does the license expire, do I have to renew, or do I apply for an extension of the grace period? How do I go about it? I would like to know these things before I go and apply for my first license while they are still available.

My second query refers to the Arms License Form. If I simply want to apply for a pistol license without specifying the caliber, what do I fill in the parts where it asks for Weapon Caliber and Weapon No.?
    Outlawing guns will ensure that only outlaws will have guns.

Blog Entries
    At the end of six months the license does not expire but you have to send it back to MOI for extension in the grace period. Usually the extension given is for one month only and that starts from the day they stamp it again. After the stamping it takes them about 5/6 days to give it back to you so in short with other time wasting you have around 20 days extension.

A better solution is to buy a junk desi gun for around 2-3 thousand and keep it on your license till you find something that you want to buy, just trash the desi one and get whatever you want on the same day.

I went through the process once as I kept a license somewhere and forgot about it, found it 7 months later, sent it to MOI through a dealer, by the time I got it back the extension had expired as well. Had to send it again. Real pain in the back side.

Member Extraordinaire
    Thanks Abbas Bhai for the clarification. Your idea seems a lot better than simply trying again and again to renew.

My second query refers to the Arms License Form. If I simply want to apply for a pistol license without specifying the caliber, what do I fill in the parts where it asks for Weapon Caliber and Weapon No.?
    Anyone?
    Outlawing guns will ensure that only outlaws will have guns.

Blog Entries
    I missed that part of your post. Leave the weapon caliber and weapon number blank as all licenses come with N.P.B written on it. This column you needed before when licenses were caliber specific and is now outdated.

As far as the weapon number, it's there provided you want MOI to enter an already existing weapon on it. It is also outdated and dealers now do the same thing for you.

Generally when filling out a form, you just fill in section 4 to 16 and leave the rest blank. Only sign it and put your left thumbprint on it.

This is the form that I'm talking about. http://www.pakguns.com/armsform.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Abbas
    I missed that part of your post. Leave the weapon caliber and weapon number blank as all licenses come with N.P.B written on it. This column you needed before when licenses were caliber specific and is now outdated.

As far as the weapon number, it's there provided you want MOI to enter an already existing weapon on it. It is also outdated and dealers now do the same thing for you.

Generally when filling out a form, you just fill in section 4 to 16 and leave the rest blank. Only sign it and put your left thumbprint on it.

This is the form that I'm talking about. http://www.pakguns.com/armsform.pdf

First of all i would like to appropriate your efforts in putting all the necessary info and well explained in just one post. As you said "Generally when filling out a form, you just fill in section 4 to 16 and leave the rest blank" I have few concerns regarding section 1 and 2? (hope they will not bother)

Section 1
    i. Do we need to put checks against all firearm which come under NPB? or
    ii. Only check what exactly we are looking for? or
    iii. Just leave it blank assuming it is for NPB or write N.P.B in Other's Row ?

Section 2
    i. Can we check both reasons (Sports and Protection) at the same time ? or
    ii. Have to give just one reason ? or
    iii. Does it reflect/Effect any where on the Book?

Thanks again for summarizing all this info...
    Regards,
    \"GUNS only canít assure you a victory until seized by the brave hearts\"

My dealer called today and said that my Copy of MOI's been made and that it only needs to get a signature for "Daak" (Mail) In order to get out of the ministry to come to her Father. Waited 2 months for my baby and she's finally on her way *Teary eye* :D
    Criminals are the biggest advocates of Gun-Control. When it's in place, they have the gun and they're in control.

Quote Originally Posted by Salahuddin Ayubi
    @ Anthrax,

Wah ji Wah! I guess we'll be hearing some dhool dhallapa soon. eh?
    Haha, you bet. Seriously, this was probably the most frustrating thing ever. I always believe in doing things the right and "Legal" way and even though I had the options to go for a "safarish" I still wanted to go through what the regular joe has to in order to get an MOI.

Its been quite an experience. But I'd never apply for another license the "regular" way. :D
    Criminals are the biggest advocates of Gun-Control. When it's in place, they have the gun and they're in control.

Blog Entries
    @All Thanks, if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Lots of MOI people here.

@Mustanir Lolz, not you as well. Slayer and Adeel have already made it a standard part of their every post :)

@Sniper I suggest you contact Ka_Khan, I've never bought a DSA shotgun and know very little about them. His email is Khan@PakGuns.com

@LionHeart Leave all the form blank except section 4-16. 1 and 2 should be left blank as well, it does not matter what you write, your licenses will be automatically ticked "Other" and N.B.P will be written in it and the Sport and Protection will be checked and written on your license. Don't worry about it, let the MOI boys do their job.

@Mitho The Status Section is the first line on the first thread, it is says "Open" it means applications are being accepted and books are being made, otherwise I will write things like "Applications close, books open" or "Applications open, books closed". As far as the demand draft and weapon purchase, even though a weapon can be purchased on a demand draft I would wait till the license arrives itself before purchasing anything. There is no hurry and you will only be handed over the weapon when you have your license.

Thanks Abbas Bhai for answering my concerns.... Now i am much cleared then before

Much Appreciated and Regards,
    \"GUNS only canít assure you a victory until seized by the brave hearts\"

Enthusiast
    @ Abbas sahab
    sir it would b very beneficial for the Pakgunners if u kindly negotiate the final price and than nominate a single dealer in every major city who will help members in getting MOI lisences on giving refrence of PAKGUNS.
    ur help in this regard will b highly appreciated please.
    thx

Enthusiast
    @ Salahuddin Ayubi sir
    i have read the entire thread..it was a suggestion as to sum up this thread instead of peeping in different threads to get sumone who will help in acquiring lisence...lets wait for Abbas bhai what he says.

Blog Entries
    SA's answer was valid, we are not recommending any dealers at the moment. Check out the dealer section and take your pick.

Rookie
    @Ahsan
    I agree with Abbas here ........the dealers section has alot of valuable and detailed info. While there are no endorsements for any one particular dealer........there are personal recommendation and opinions based on experience with dealers some better than the other. You will have very clear idea about who suits you by the end of it. I helped me picking and shortlisting a dealer. I would recommend you to read the following two thread it should give you a good idea.

http://www.pakguns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2680
    http://www.pakguns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=399