Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Spanish Shotguns

Opinion on Spanish Shotguns

Can anybody give me his feedback about Spanish shotguns? especially AYA shotguns by Spain....

By what I have heard, probably the best among spanish shotguns. HassanJamshed Bhai n 12gauges' review will help
    you understand their true worth.

Quote Originally Posted by kamran_uk75
    Can anybody give me his feedback about Spanish shotguns? especially AYA shotguns by Spain....

AYA is the No. 1 selling shotgun in Spain (by volume) and is considered to be the best value-buy. infact some of its models are considered to be at par with the Spain's best (Arrizabalaga, Garbi, Grulla, Arrieta). some even consider AYA shotguns to be the lesser equivalent of the London and Italian best. as the matter of fact, AYA is amongst the best selling shotguns in Europe (i've read it in a magazine a long time ago).

go for it, if u can find one. u cant go wrong with an AYA.

Regards.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Enthusiast
    If you find an AYA side by side go for it without a thought! Seriously its the best thing you will do for yourself--even if its a used one.

Very rightly opined by Naazer and 12gauge

Aguirre y Aranzabal commonly known as AyA of Spain make good guns especially their Model 2. It is said to be one of the top selling models in England. A no mean feat in the face of top quality English manufacturers. Its characteristics are:-

Side-by-side hammerless sidelock ejector shotgun.
    Forged steel action with double underlugs.
    Fitted with gas vents.
    Hardened steel intercepting safety sears.
    Gold lined cocking indicators.
    Double triggers with hinged front trigger.
    Chopper lump barrels.
    Concave rib.
    English scroll engraving.
    Straight hand, oil finished walnut stock.
    White metal oval for initials.
    Automatic safety.
    12, 26, 20, 28 & .410 bore.
    28" barrels standard on 12, 16, and 20, 27" barrels standard on 28 and 410 - other barrel lengths to order.
    Available with colour hardened, old silver or bright finish to action.
    Approximate weight 6.8 lbs. (12 bore)
    (data taken from the company's site)
    Height of a man is not gauged by the feet he puts on but by the magnitude of problem which bothers him

Enthusiast
    btw here is me with a custom made aya:

Enthusiast
    further pics of the gun would be appreciated if available Naazer bhai.
    one can not always be a hero but one can always be a man.

Enthusiast
    @sialvi: unfortunately they are back home in pk

12gauge and Malik1

Nicely explain Gentlemen.

Regards.
    Always remember the golden rule "SAFETY ON TOP PRIORITY"

Good shotguns, new ones are just a little hard to come by.

Aya is a premium shotgun brand of europe with guns upto 20k Euros. I happen to have a Aya shotgun, which i'm selling to buy an autoloader now, by Beretta perhaps. Its a 1977, 12 ga, 28", S/S, Chokes Mod and Full. Condition around 70%-80% i should say.

Enthusiast
    choctalpur: ur asking price? email me at ahmed.minhaj@shell.com

Enthusiast
    No Idea senior members must tell
    \"A weapon isn\'t good or bad, depends on the person who uses it. \"

PakGuns Expert Panel
    12Gauge and Malik1 have described the gun correctly. I won't be adding much to what has already said.
    Aya's along with other Spanish guns are a cheaper but quality substitute to the English best and the Italian best. These guns are made with quality materials, superior finish and a long lasting strength.

There was a time when Spanish guns were looked down on and used to be termed as the poor man's Holland and Holland etc. Now the situation is not like that, these guns have their own personality that is known with superior craftsman ship and great value for the money.

Aya's most popular model in Pakistan is sidelock Aya 2. This gun is based on the popular Holland and Holland action. A gun with 70% condition sells around 160K-175K. I Have not seen a brand new gun in my circle.
    \"You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man\'s initiative and independence.\"

Quote Originally Posted by ChocTalpur
    Aya is a premium shotgun brand of europe with guns upto 20k Euros. I happen to have a Aya shotgun, which i'm selling to buy an autoloader now, by Beretta perhaps. Its a 1977, 12 ga, 28", S/S, Chokes Mod and Full. Condition around 70%-80% i should say.
    Whats your demand for that AYA, Can you post some pics here?

Quote Originally Posted by 12gauge

AYA is the No. 1 selling shotgun in Spain (by volume) and is considered to be the best value-buy. infact some of its models are considered to be at par with the Spain's best (Arrizabalaga, Garbi, Grulla, Arrieta). some even consider AYA shotguns to be the lesser equivalent of the London and Italian best. as the matter of fact, AYA is amongst the best selling shotguns in Europe (i've read it in a magazine a long time ago).

Regards.
    Sir, if Spanish guns are good then why those are not discussed in this forum, by the way my uncle has an AYA and he keeps it close to his heart. So no chance for me to get that one. Do you have an idea from where can I buy a Spanish S/S DBBL in Pindi or Lahore and whats the approximate price of these guns. Kindly give your opinion about other Spanish shotguns other than AYA aswell.
    best regards.

Sir, i can post you the required data on your email address.

Sir, i can post you the required data on your email address.
    kamran_uk75@hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by 12gauge

Regards.
    Sir, if Spanish guns are good then why those are not discussed in this forum, by the way my uncle has an AYA and he keeps it close to his heart. So no chance for me to get that one. Do you have an idea from where can I buy a Spanish S/S DBBL in Pindi or Lahore and whats the approximate price of these guns. Kindly give your opinion about other Spanish shotguns other than AYA aswell.
    best regards.
    Still waiting for some informative knowledgeable feedback about Spanish DBBL shotguns, and their current market prices. etc

PakGuns Expert Panel
    Aya's along with other Spanish guns are a cheaper but quality substitute to the English best and the Italian best. These guns are made with quality materials, superior finish and a long lasting strength.

There was a time when Spanish guns were looked down upon and used to be termed as the poor man's Holland and Holland etc. Now the situation is not like that, these guns have their own personality that is known with superior craftsman ship and great value for the money.

Aya's most popular model in Pakistan is sidelock Aya 2. This gun is based on the popular Holland and Holland action. A gun with 70% condition sells around 160K-175K. I Have not seen a brand new gun in my circle
    There are five most famous gun makers of Spain(situated all in or around Eibar) Arrieta, Arrizabalaga, Grulla, Garbi and AYA. These all companies started with cheap guns but now they have earned their reputation by producing quality guns over the years. They do not mass produce any more as once AYA used to produce. Their guns are never considered at par with the English best or the Italian best. The most famous thing about these guns is that one can get a nice gun at the fraction of the price of the similar looking Italian or English gun. These guns are not made with cheap materials or substandard finish. None of these guns are origionally developed by these small custom shops(AyA once was very big company but no more is) like companies. They have copied English gun's action and even engraving styles.

These guns are solidly built and shouldn't be considered substandard in any way but at the same time one must not confuse them with other premium guns.
    I haven't seen a new Aya in the market but there shouldn't be any problem in importing a gun. Prices of these guns start from 2400$ and go upto the 25000$ depending upon the action and finish. Aya No2 new round body is amongst the cheapest having advertised retail price 4500$. A used AyA can be bought for as low as 140K(i am using a known traded price) and a better gun having 70% condition can get upto 170K.

I will end with these pargraphs taken from CHUCK HAWKS.

The typical Spanish best gun is a sidelock side-by-side game gun. H&H style locks are practically universal, as are double underbolts leaving a clean breech face, double triggers and selective ejectors. Straight hand stocks are preferred, as are splinter forends, although a pistol grip and beavertail can be ordered. Stock measurements are made to order. Assisted opening is offered, as are various rib styles, barrel lengths, chokes, metal finishes, etc. Standard engraving patterns are typically vine or rose and scroll based, usually similar to traditional Purdy, H&H, or Churchill engraving; bulino and other styles can be provided, as well as gold or other precious metal inlays. Hand checkering in a conventional point pattern is standard, but stock carving and other checkering patterns are available by special order. Inside, the lock parts are usually mirror polished, engine turned, or gold plated. (Attention to detail inside the action, which customers ordinarily never see, is one of the hallmarks of a best gun.)

To see for yourself how good a Basque gun can be, get your hands on a high grade Arrizabalaga, Grulla, Garbi, AyA, or Arrieta. Note the balance and lively handling characteristics, finish, metal to metal and wood to metal fit, arcaded fences, hand engraving, fine line checkering and high grade walnut stock with a hand rubbed oil finish. You don't have to be a shotgun authority to understand that you are not just holding a fine gun, but also a functional work of art.
    And more

This gun isn't cheap. The 2007 MSRP in the USA is $8,895. However, similar guns from other countries cost far more. A Piotti (Italian) round action King No. 1 retails for about $32,700. A Holland & Holland (English) round action costs about $62,500.

The top of the line Grulla Royal with assisted opening, chrome-nickel steel barrels, even more elaborate engraving and a fitted leather trunk case costs over $14,000. That's a lot of money, but an equivalent Piotti Monaco starts at $41,800 and a Holland & Holland Royal Ejector runs about $93,000! (All based on 2007 retail prices.) We are talking about some of the best guns in the world here, so it is obvious that the Basque gunmakers will retain their competitive advantage for some years to come.
    \"You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man\'s initiative and independence.\"