Thread: Suggest a local brand of ammunition for shooting range sessions

Suggest a local brand of ammunition for shooting range sessions

I have recently joined the .30 bore club with my Norinco 30 cal, Which happens to be my first handgun.

Now I am looking to spend some time at the shooting range to familiarize myself with the weapon but don't have pockets to buy few boxes of Norinco. So what brand of local ammo should I go for, What's available in the market? Are all local brands same or some better than other?

P.S I live in Karachi

Quote Originally Posted by Ashar View Post
    I have recently joined the .30 bore club with my Norinco 30 cal, Which happens to be my first handgun.

Now I am looking to spend some time at the shooting range to familiarize myself with the weapon but don't have pockets to buy few boxes of Norinco. So what brand of local ammo should I go for, What's available in the market? Are all local brands same or some better than other?

P.S I live in Karachi
    Dont go for any local ammo, except POF. All local ammo are inconsistent so no use in target practice. They are at times over/ under charged, an over charged ammo can cause a kaboom while underpowered can cause a squib load
    Before you embark on a journey of Revenge, dig two graves - Confucius (504 BC)
    102nd Chairborne Rangers, Special Forums Operator Delta, The Keyboard Commandos

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashar View Post

P.S I live in Karachi
    So a TT blow up and severely injure the shooter. Fellow member Deathrow provided elementary first aid. It was a local brand of ammo.
    I can't recommend any of them because they all have the potential to kaboom.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    So a TT blow up and severely injure the shooter. Fellow member Deathrow provided elementary first aid. It was a local brand of ammo.
    I can't recommend any of them because they all have the potential to kaboom.
    I read that story in some other thread, I thought that was due to the quality of gun. But now I am afraid after knowing that desi ammo has the potential to blowup any firearm

Pretty much. Even original Glocks can kaboom with bad ammo. Such ammo can lead to all sorts of problems. A squib (under charged) load will jam the barrel and the next round will blow it up. An overcharged round will do what it did to the TT I mentioned above.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Ok. I confess that my intellectual curiosity got the better of me. I purchased a Badar and Brothers US export model local TT.

Stuffed her full of local rounds. And at the range I put on Kevlar gloves. Put my body behind the metal shield of one of the ports. Stuck my hand out to the other port as far away from my body as it could go. And dumped two mag loads. The gun did not blow up.

Duly impressed, I went to Huffaz Corporation where I had bought the ammo and asked the man if he has more of the same. He said he had no idea because local ammo is local ammo, irrespective of who makes it.

Ok. I confess that my intellectual curiosity got the better of me. I purchased a Badar and Brothers US export model local TT.

Stuffed her full of local rounds. And at the range I put on Kevlar gloves. Put my body behind the metal shield of one of the ports. Stuck my hand out to the other port as far away from my body as it could go. And dumped two mag loads. The gun did not blow up.

Duly impressed, I went to Huffaz Corporation where I had bought the ammo and asked the man if he has more of the same. He said he had no idea because local ammo is local ammo, irrespective of who makes it.
    Daring venture brother one can afford this on ranges with protection equipment but for HD/SD itís not recommended to use local gun or local ammo.
    Marksmanship is the hallmark of a soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by kohshikan5 View Post
    Daring venture brother one can afford this on ranges with protection equipment but for HD/SD it’s not recommended to use local gun or local ammo.
    Of course. In fact, I would never recmmend it at all. I just have a thing for shooting everything in front of me at the range. To be honest, I won't even recommend the TT as a personal carry weapon. It has no firing pin safety. No decocer, no manual safety. No trigger safety. Also the round is over penetrative.

However, if one needs must carry a TT for SD, it is important that one uses only imported ammo. I know it is expensive. But surely one's life is worth more than a few hundred bucks. I have carried it for SD sometimes. ( love its slim profile) but very rarely and even that only with Chinese ammo.

Of course. In fact, I would never recmmend it at all. I just have a thing for shooting everything in front of me at the range. To be honest, I won't even recommend the TT as a personal carry weapon. It has no firing pin safety. No decocer, no manual safety. No trigger safety. Also the round is over penetrative.

However, if one needs must carry a TT for SD, it is important that one uses only imported ammo. I know it is expensive. But surely one's life is worth more than a few hundred bucks. I have carried it for SD sometimes. ( love its slim profile) but very rarely and even that only with Chinese ammo.
    Absolutely correct dear sir.

I have 6 TTs and love them as range guns, but I agree...much better choices for SD.
    I actually had a Darra TT for a while that a friend brought back (very quietly) from Afghanistan, but I was afraid to shoot it. Since I won't own what I can't shoot I sold it to another collector. Too bad it didn't come with a mag full of Darra ammo!

What is your opinion about POF ammo. Is it reliable for use for SD & HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalib Khan View Post
    POF ammo is better. Sky is the limit for perfection and if some one can afford foreign brands then there is no harm in keeping first magazine loaded with S&B, NATO, Winchester, American eagle etc rounds. For range use POF 1z accuracy is good, Chinese not so accurate but FTF are quite less in both brands so IMO they can work as well in SD/HD scenarios.

Do you have any .30 Bore/7.62 JHP availability in Pakistan?
    Yugo. Prvi Partizan JHP is available in the US. I think any TT FMJ has too much penetration to use for defensive purposes, too may potential "targets" beyond your intended target for my comfort level.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
    Do you have any .30 Bore/7.62 JHP availability in Pakistan?
    Yugo. Prvi Partizan JHP is available in the US. I think any TT FMJ has too much penetration to use for defensive purposes, too may potential "targets" beyond your intended target for my comfort level.
    yes few years back PPU jhp were available in the market but never saw then again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalib Khan View Post
    I love the .30 POF round. Awesome stuff. Much softer than Chinese 311 and went bang every time. But alas, POF stopped making it. I purchased a box and still have it with me. I have never shot it once they stopped making it.

Quote Originally Posted by FA226 View Post
    yes few years back PPU jhp were available in the market but never saw then again.
    The issue with PPU JHPs is that irrespective of calibre, they don't expand. Just nip through and through. We tried their .32 ACP variants on Gelatin. They behaved like FMJs. Feeling curious, I researched online regarding PPu JHPs in .30 and I saw the same result.

The issue with PPU JHPs is that irrespective of calibre, they don't expand. Just nip through and through. We tried their .32 ACP variants on Gelatin. They behaved like FMJs. Feeling curious, I researched online regarding PPu JHPs in .30 and I saw the same result.
    so it means its just for looks.

Quote Originally Posted by FA226 View Post
    so it means its just for looks.
    Pretty much- I am afraid.