Thread: Target Revolvers

Being Big & Sexy... I am anywhere I wanna be

Target Revolvers

There are many ppc or bulleye target revolvers out there. Some are more outstanding than others. Some argue that calibers make a difference... they do but generally a heavier round is more accurate unless the lighter round is being shot really hot keeping the trajectory as straight as possible over a specified distance(s). However, many say .32 long round is better; I say no, I believe the .38 special round to be more accurate. This was discussed at length with a senior shooter from Lahore a few years ago. He had switched over from the .32 to the .38 special himself.
    So we go over to the brands. In Pakistan I used to own a Rossi revolver. Many who are lucky have the Colt Python, which I also had but found it no good for bullseye. I later tried that Alpha project junk which kept seizing the action... and promptly got rid of them. I know the Navy record holder in Pakistan used a Smith & Wesson K32 (.32) Target Masterpiece with a 4" barrel to set a record and they still use it, though they only have one. Colt came out with Target Police revolvers over the years and they are expensive but amazing. Another famous standard is the Smith & Wesson Model 14 gen 1-4 also known as the K38 Target Masterpiece. There are a few 6" Model 15s as well with the same designation. These are well rounded medium frame target revolvers with a great history for being tack drivers over and over. Note: these revolvers also lock the cylinder in alignment just like the Colt Python does for further accuracy upon pull of the trigger. My quest for one of these over the years was unfruitful till recently. I only came upon the Model 17s which were in .22lr and are also quite good.
    So one day I was visiting an auction site and came upon one S&W Mod 14-3 K38 in like new condition with box and original owner's manual. I started to bid on it and got it. Later I went on to a show and located some parts for it like a smooth trigger and extra hammer and sear. I like smooth triggers, a dab of oil on the ignition finger keeps the finger sliding on the trigger whilst pulling rather than the serrated triggers which gain traction of sorts and start to move the point of aim. Anyhow, I again came upon one more slightly used without box and manual; however, it had the Aristocrat Sight like setup made by Bomar on it (I remember the Rossi I had and what I did to try to achieve that same purposeful look and have it work that way too) and it has a smooth trigger and a wide spur hammer with lighter action springs. As I was clicking the expanded photo of the revolver I accidentally clicked twice and the pointer was on the bid button!!! lolz, needless to say once you bid you cannot back off. So I just let it go hoping that someone will outbid me which ofcourse never happened and glad to say now. I own it as well.
    So, I will post a pic of the Rossi I had done custom work to - then sold to someone in Karachi. And then the photos of the two S&W K38 Target Masterpiece.

If you can and do locate one in any condition (except broken) buy it - whether in 4" or 6" (generally they are all in 6" barrel. Without opening it; stick that WD40 nozzle in all the nooks and crannies around the hammer, behind the trigger, the cylinder lock, and the cycle arm and hose that thing till its pouring the oil out. Why this way, because many will try to open it and mess up the action. This will overnight clean up the action and you will see how smooth that thing really is. It won't disappoint.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    \"In a world of compromise... Some Don\'t!\" Heckler & Koch

\"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.\" Bill of Rights - 2 Amendment of the Constitution of U.S.

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Thanks for another awesome review sir. I did use a .32 snw long in the last tournament I participated in. Now I have my eyes set on a Dan Wasson .32 magnum target revolver wiht 6 inch barrel. The trigger on that piece was the smoothest trigger i have ever encountered in any gun I have ever fired.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Being Big & Sexy... I am anywhere I wanna be
    Salam All,
    @Enigmatic Desires - That is another name with a great history though they did go out of business. But if you can get that with rear adjustable sights... get it.
    \"In a world of compromise... Some Don\'t!\" Heckler & Koch

\"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.\" Bill of Rights - 2 Amendment of the Constitution of U.S.

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moeen View Post
    Salam All,
    @Enigmatic Desires - That is another name with a great history though they did go out of business. But if you can get that with rear adjustable sights... get it.
    Nost defeintely Moeen bhai.. I intend to at any rate.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com