Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kral A12 Review

Kral A12 Review

Overview: With the recent influx of shotguns Kral, Maestro ( the one with the chelsea logo on it ) hilarious, Barnow, and a few others. Kral was getting favorable feedback from the hunters and other enthusiasts who had got them, but when looked in detail in turned out you either love them or hate them there's no middle ground. With reports coming in their guns successfully converting into a bolt action from outstanding performance . But i blame it on the way these are coming in. So one fine day while browsing this good forum it hit me, I had to buy one for myself. I have made a lot of bad purchases and choices, I was reluctant, too reluctant that i did not even bother to call my sensie in Sargodha, because a part of me knew what he would say, but hey if i don't call i don't know, right. I have to mention though a part of motivation had come from another good friend of mine from Hafizabad who used to put his kral through the paces on every weekend on duck shoot and gave a positive feedback. With the price just right, not much to loose and everything to gain if the guns works i was all set to take the gamble. Having previously used a Baikal O/U and mp153 and a beretta on hunts i had a fair idea of what to expect. Without taking much of your time i am coming towards the point here. On second thought i have nothing to do and let me continue my ramble. One one sunny day I went to my Friend told him I wanted this thing they called kral and I want it asap. With a grin on his face he said are you sure, I said i think i am. By now I had actually found why i wanted Kral, well firstly the price! You cant go wrong with a 25-26k gun while the locals are selling for about 16-18k, I do remember however I did extensive research on net, its a vice of mine, i'm guilty of overthinking, overdoing overreacting basically over everything, and i vaguely remember Kral was the same gun that was exported to other countries by the name of Vipar Tri Star or at least they looked the same mechanically and cosmetically. Its been some time so don't quote me on this. Moving on, I was still developing the purpose of why i wanted the gun and here are the final points that convinced me to buy the gun.
    ~ The Price, I can't say it enough.
    ~ I wanted something I could use for Upland (26inch) all the others guns i had were 28inch
    ~ Synthetic stock,I know some of you hardcore shotgun fanatics despise the synthetic stock but I wanted a change and I had it in mind if i used it I could beat it around and use it without care, as I would have done with the wood one.
    ~ Maybe use it in the rain or so for ducks.
    ~ Maybe I could sell it at a later time and actually profit from it.
    So i took the plunge, sent the dealer the cash and booked my gun, it was exciting the wait and everything, buying a new gun gives you a new kind of high. He sent me some pictures which I will share below. I told him to book me a Synthetic one in 26inch I repeated it so he does not make any mistake. I also made it a point to get the gun with the complete box, my friend though who had put me in touch with the dealer raised eyebrows again, he usually has his carefree calm and chill attitude but i am the opposite, I made it a point id only buy the gun if i get it with the box, and i remember he giving me that look, wtf is wrong with you its a sub 50k gun just get it over with. So I booked the gun, the good friend of mine got the gun for me over here, I remember I booked the gun on 25th september 2017 and i received it two days on the 27th, i will share the picture when i received it also. I still remember opening the gun and damn she looked sexy, i did not know a synthetic gun could look this good, as i am sucker for fine wood grain and wood stocks, but this beauty changed my perspective. Assembled the gun and everything, it did not give as such of a fragile feel, felt solid, i was good to go. though there was this issue for the fore end rattling a leeetle bit, not much to make an impact on performance or working but still and i used a black tape at the shelve where the forend sits to give it a snug fit and it has been fine since then.
    I used it twice on a batair shoot, and i got a light strike on the second shoot with only about 150 cartridges in it. No worries 150 is not a big of a number and the one odd light strike does not bother me. I used it on a batair shoot again this time without any issue. By now I wanted to run her through the paces and truly test what she could do. Yes I took her on a duck shoot, yes i took a 26inch shotgun on a duck shoot, If you have managed to read it till here, a few of you might even know my shell and choke preference, well i wont get into that detail as it would derail the topic, open another Pandorabox and probably give you a headache, I'd like to move on with saying, shotgun shooting is an art and rifle shooting is a science. and in art you can be abstract and play around.
    So on the ducks shoots it actually gave me better results and shooting experience as a whole then baikal and a beretta, but it was pretinent to mention a few things here. baikal and beretta are both 28inch guns, i play better with them at longer ranges, and with the beretta i am more worried about safe keeping the gun than shooting it.
    if the ducks decoyed properly my shooting and the overall experience was better than what i could do with the other guns, not the mention at upland i was already at a distinct advantage, and had better performance than i have had from the other guns, so much so, that the gun with time was growing on me that twice it happened that on batair shoot i annihilated the bird as i could not give it enough distance to travel, so you could see how much the gun sat well with me. I had the chance of getting the remains of the bird on camera i will also share those. I would also like to mention the fore end of the gun is sleek and slim unlike the Baikal which is a bloody tank, uncomfortable and sticking out like a soar thumb, the beretta al390 has a slimmer fore end but somehow i like the kral better.
    So after about roughly 3 years of use, i find the gun to be reliable, points better than my baikal, with the beretta i say they are both head to head.
    It is worth mentioning I cleaned to gun after everytime I shot it, even if i shot 4 or 5 rounds.
    I don't how in which order the pictures will upload so i guess i will post the pictures in another thread and write in that.
    For now for those of who want to skip the bullshit..
    Kral A12 26inch gun
    Gas operated
    4+1
    3 chokes, imp cylinder, Mod,Full With the choke Box and key.
    Has been reliable for me so far with occasional light strikes but i blame it on the WAH ammo, the strikes are not frequent or often but maybe, going out on a limb to say this once in 35 rounds, maybe.
    for the price it has served me good enough, the looks are too good and i always get praises when other people see it. It has everything which the baikal does not have in the looks department, having said that, if you ask me to choose once i would always blindly take the baikal either the mp153 or 155 any day and twice on Sundays. You just can't go wrong with them, I'd go with the beretta but since i only added the beretta to give my experience with the guns and as the only fair comparison of Kral is with Baikal so we compare these two, but maybe I think the technical gurus and expert could guide better, In my opinion to be frank, having owned both baikal and kral, it think it is an insult to the Russians, to Baikal to compare it with the kral, well Why you ask, ummmm its ahhh not built to last, and i cant say the same for the baikal, the baikal is the type of gun you would pass down to your children with its finish worn off and everything.
    I have no shot another hotter than 34g from the Kral while I have shot loads as high as the 40gs from the baikal.
    When you see the internals you will soon realize although although finely built and what ever, with the passage of time they start to show minute wear and tear which was not present on my baikal having thrice the number of rounds been put through her and having owning her since about 5 or 6 years. Slugs, buckshot what ever you name it i have fired without hesitating from the baikal.
    It is also worth mentioning the buddy who i hunt with also happens to own a kral and this one in 30 inches, ill try and find her picture also to show you guys. his kral had more round through her than mine and had started to malfunction, when fired it would extract the empty shell but would not pick up the new shell from the magazine and when shooting duck it would just give a click.
    By now I have decided I will tell you another story of the ill fated man, who happens to be my friend, who sold his new mp155 because well he could not get his head around it, (crow is white)
    Now for the pictures. I hope I have covered everything....
    Last edited by shahroze; 31-03-2020 at 12:58 AM.
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

Pictures

From top to Bottom,
    Pictures from the dealer, when i was choosing the gun.
    3rd picture is when i received the gun
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

First picture is of the remains of the batair,
    Second is of a shot that is nano seconds away from hitting the crow
    Last picture is my gun resting with my friends after a loong shooting day
    Last edited by shahroze; 30-03-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Comparison of the internals of Baikal mp153 and Kral A12
    Last edited by shahroze; 31-03-2020 at 01:38 AM.

Excuse my noob photography

The gas system on the Kral is self adjusting as compared to the high and low, heavy and light load settings for the mp153,
    although the baikal they give the options for adjustment but i believe that is for extreme cases if u want to shoot very light loads such as 24g or very hot magnums, I have shot loads from 31g to 40g without touching the adjustment.
    The gas system on the kral is waaay easier to clean, and I have mostly shot 31g and some 34g from the kral
    I am too lazy to take pictures again and post them but the baikal has proof markings on the barrel and on the bolt while the kral does not have any proof marks.
    Last edited by shahroze; 31-03-2020 at 02:27 AM.

The bolt of Kral is slowly getting eating by the lock it sits on. it is worth mentioning this has not yet caused any failure, i estimate it will go a long way till it malfunctions but you can see the build quality.

The recoil springs not shown in the pictures, The baikal has 20 coils and the Kral as 23 coils
    Last edited by shahroze; 31-03-2020 at 02:08 AM.

I will not do much talking for the stuff you can clearly see yourself and distinguish.
    Post number 4, in order of descending.
    upper bolt baikal lower kral
    2nd picture- right bolt baikal, left kral
    ditto till picture 4.
    picture 5 right picture, connecting rod right kral, left baikal
    picture 6- upper kral lower baikal
    picture 7 left kral right baikal

i hope this does not add more confusion
    Last edited by shahroze; 31-03-2020 at 02:07 AM.

Experience beats Knowledge

I mentioned earlier, I would tell you about this ill fated person who happened to sell a nib 155, so here it is.
    It had been sometime since Sheedha Tali (my friend) had been deciding to get a shotgun, I happened to tell him that the best budget shotgun is baikal, 153,155, 27 (O/U). Anything would be good to go. After him (Sheedha) going through different options, collecting funds, the sinful day came, we had made a plan to get the gun today, all the documents and funds were ready. He picked me up and we went to the Adult toy store area (Neela Ghumbad) perceive it how ever you want it to. We had no particular shop in mind and were looking for a 155 within our 100k budget, this is somewhere between 2018. When we finally reached the Neela Ghumbad, I still remember the shine in Sheeda's eyes as he was getting his first auto loader, his previous experience had solely been on double barrels and single barrels and that too prehistoric guns. Well Sheedha was trusting me and little did i know that i was throwing myself in a pitfall, everyone says that there is no alternate to experience and i was about to learn it. After we were down browsing the gun shops, we got to know the going rate was from anywhere 110-115k. A few pathan shops had a couple of pieces of but i did not like them as they had little dings on the wood and the grain was not much fine, Finally we were at National Traders the Khan Saab there is a good gentleman and after a little bargaining some crying and yelping and telling him stories we brought him down to 105k, but Sheedha was not happy with that price, as he had a total of 100k he quietly told me in the ear, 95k was the best he could do as he also had to buy some shells for the gun. Without thinking much I called a friend who's from the law background, and told him if he could get us a discount further, at first he hesistaed because forsome reason, which i can't understand he despises Russian shotguns and Prefers the Turkish over them, well I am all in for the Huglu and Armsan but Kral, and the other cottage industry guns that are coming in have no competition with the beast. Sadly. Lets agree to disagree and move on. My friend tried telling us to get a turkish and save money but i was adamant, i guess my fate had been decided.
    The khan saab after a lot of (minatein samaajein) and me taking the favor from my friend gave us the gun in 95k. As happy and as jolly we jumped right out to test fire our gun, bought some shells on the way and straight to my cousins land where we would test fire and pop the cherry. Fast forwarding to the point where we reached the place and fired the gun, to our disappointment it gave us Failure to feed and would not cycle properly, i can't forget the look on my friends face, his whole life sort of flashed besides him and he was paralyzed. I told him its nothing to worry about, guns are mechanical things and they can give issues, we will troubleshoot it and sort it out. I knew it was the gas system and it need to break in. But how could i tell that to my friend who just saw his 100k which he saved for 4-5 months go down the drain, Disheartening as it was but we went back home. We bought some super #4 shells and back again to test it, it gave cycling issues again. I knew it was the gas system but my friend wanted to change the gun, I knew this would not be possible, had it been my dealer it would not have been an issue at all but since i did not have those terms with National traders, I played along we went to the shop demanding an exchange and Khan Saab politely refused, he said the gun had been fired and he can not change it but get it repaired, we told him why would we want to repair a gun that we bought new, it should fire without any issues and he gave a strange remark that if we had brought it in before firing then he would have changed it no questions asked, Strange as how would we know if the gun was cycling reliably or not without firing it. Looking at the my friends face i could not help it, i decided to give my good friend a call again and ask him to persuade Khan Saab to change the gun. Well there it was, we made his believe strong, that (Russians makes guns and other things while on vodka) and that they are crap. At first he told me how he had advised us to get something else and how baikal is shit and how i could have saved my friend money if he had bought the kral. Well after he also confirmed that we could not return the gun, we agreed to Khan Saab to get the gun fixed for us. He sent us back to Billo, and let me take the liberty to say here, no matter how profound he is at his work, but im sorry to say this he does not know crap about shotguns, at least adjustment of the gas system for baikal. It was on his face that he was bullshitting us and was using trial and error method to see if anything works, having increased the has pressure which i told him was a bad idea he sent us back, telling us to fire it and if it does not work, which hopefully wont happen bring the gun back in again. I knew the problem was not fixed and we went to fire the shotgun, this time only to have the bolt speed increased massively and it was hitting the like a brick on the chamber crazily. We went home I decreased the gas pressure, went on to test fire the gun and with some minor adjustments firing the gun as we changed the gas setting, we got it on video that it started firing, we fired about 50 shells without any issue. Although i wanted to tell my friend the gun might not cycle properly as he was not shouldering the gun properly but i did not, i was already feeling bad of what he had to go through because of me, again little did i know, this was the intermission.
    He took the gun back to Sindh and took it on a duck hunt, called me the other day telling me it wont cycle again, strange as we had fixed it what could go wrong, he told me he had opened the gun and used cloth viciously in the gas ports and other places where cloth which has fiber and especially cloth with wd40 or any solvent should not go, unless you know what you are doing. Well i spent about 2 hours on call with him, telling him different things he would do to make his gun cycle, i even added another friend of mine who owned a baikal to help guide him, as i was afraid what i was saying was not getting through as had made up this believe that his gun was crap, useless piece of metal and wood. part of that was because of the peer pressure in Sindh he told me about and the face that, how everyone always had fired a double barrel before, for you to understand this better, it was like a person who only rode a bike before you give him an automatic car, OF COURSE HE IS GOING TO F**** it up. My friend also guided him of what he could do and fix the problem, he also told him and tried to make him understand the gun was alright and it was something he is doing wrong. Most of all I at day that learnt about the self fulling prophecy, I was taught in my Sociology class, the example they quoted in class was (A person will become deviant if the society keeps telling him he is good for nothing and label him as a druggie or anything which he is not) self fulling prophecy, this in this case was experienced by Sheedha as he made his mind that his gun was shit, and it wont work no matter what, he had lost faith in it. I knew a part of it was my fault, i should not have been so keen on getting him a baikal, that's what happens when you truly want the best for someone. I should have given him some options and told him to choose from them..... Lesson learnt, Experience beats knowledge.
    Disappointed as he was, he said he would bring his gun back, i told him i would get it fixed for him and it would cycle fine. I was worried for a couple of days for him, more than he was for himself, if it was my gun i know this was not much of an issue, but since this was his first semi auto shotgun i did not want him to have such a bad experience, i thought over it again and again, making a list of things that could go wrong, called my friend who helped him on call, he too believed that the issue was not much and it would be fixed. I spent 2 3 days in pain and overthink as i took it on me i had made him buy the so called jam o matic. Well he finally came back and I told him where was the gun? He Smiled and said he sold it in Sindh to his Family friend who he could not refuse. I lost it, but somehow I managed to gain composure. I had been effin upset for the darn gun and he had conveniently sold it off, now he says you are going to help me buy a double barrel and started these all praises for double barrels and how auto loaders and shit. I told him, that was the last time i actually went with anyone to buy the gun, i can tell him names of the doubles he can buy the last call would be his and i will have no part in it. We did not speak for a week, not because I hated his guts and the fact that he could not have faith in me and keep the gun, or that he hated me for buying him the worst gun he could have ever owned but because we were too busy. After a week he called me and said the person he sold his gun to said (mein Sheedhay Tali ko duan deta hun) he has given me such an amazing shotgun, apparently with him the gun was working fine and he was knocking ducks down like it was nothing. Hearing that boiled my blood but i told to myself, Experience beats knowledge, and if your crow is white you can't do anything to change it. He did not have a semi auto in his fate, and frankly if you ask me, He does not deserve to own a semi auto shotgun, he's better off with the dinosaur age shotguns they use in his village.
    It is pertinent to mention we are still friends.
    Last edited by shahroze; 03-04-2020 at 01:50 AM.

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Excellent review Shahroz. Like totally! It has been a looong time since I saw such a good review here!

The Kraal is now above the 100k mark here in Karachi. (Guns for defence Usman bhai)
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

I thought I'd write something to get the ball rolling, and since i have owned and is used it for quite some time i thought it would be helpful to share my experience.
    100k is absurd, anything over 40k in my opinion is Strictly a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by shahroze View Post
    I thought I'd write something to get the ball rolling, and since i have owned and is used it for quite some time i thought it would be helpful to share my experience.
    Good review bro.its a good shotgun used to own one.

Why did you give it away

good extensive review bro,
    .....amat victoria curam.....

Why did you give it away
    It worked fine but had to vacate the license to get a mp155 so bought the baikal mp155.

Quote Originally Posted by FA226 View Post
    It worked fine but had to vacate the license to get a mp155 so bought the baikal mp155.
    That sucks...
    Thanks Rishikhan

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    The local grapewine has it that once the world reopens, It wil be around 135 to 150k or so.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    The local grapewine has it that once the world reopens, It wil be around 135 to 150k or so.
    Where does that place the mp153 and mp155 then?

That sucks...
    Thanks Rishikhan
    Haahaa by the way who is this Rishikhan.
    Mp155 is not as bad as I thought it will be'its 2019 bach just fired 3 boxes out it works fine but its nothing like 153.

Quote Originally Posted by FA226 View Post
    Haahaa by the way who is this Rishikhan.
    Mp155 is not as bad as I thought it will be'its 2019 bach just fired 3 boxes out it works fine but its nothing like 153.
    I actually shoulder the 155 better and I find the fit and finish to be better also.
    But I love the wood on mine.
    I have not seen a better wood in baikals yet.

I actually shoulder the 155 better and I find the fit and finish to be better also.
    But I love the wood on mine.
    I have not seen a better wood in baikals yet.
    Even Turkish wood is much better then them but don't let go of your mp153 it's superior then 155 in quality,I had a 153 in plastic furniture and magnum chamber.I agree with you that 155 shoulder better then 153,I like it's grip as well.