Thread: FAQs (Frequently asked questions) regarding different firearms licenses in Pakistan

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar

FAQs (Frequently asked questions) regarding different firearms licenses in Pakistan

I get a whole lot of mail everyday asking me questions. I am trying to consolidate all of the data I have acquired over the years into answering basic questions. I would encourage other seniors to help and chip in to guide our newbie brothers.

1 What is a license and what it can and cannot do?

Firearms license entitles you to purchase a fire arm or other weapon. Unless specifically stated it entitles you to only purchase ‘one’ firearm or other weapon. You cannot use it to purchase a nuke an F 16 or even a bazooka.
    (or lots of the above)
    It “cannot” scare away bad guys on its own. So waving a license in front of a mugger will not stop you from getting mugged. (He might beat you though... on general principle).

2 How many Weapons allowed on one License?

There is only one weapon allowed per license. In the ancient days when all licenses were open and dinosaurs walked the earth, it was possible to make one license for multiple weapons. Dinosaurs are extinct. So are such lics (barring a few old fossils that keep turning up)

3 Are licenses transferable?

Licenses are non-transferable
    (Barring extremely rare circumstances amongst immediate blood relatives) You cannot purchase and carry weapons on a license belonging to you your uncle’s brother-in-law’s great grandfather. Sindh and Moi have done away with the retainer part of their licenses. In any event, a retainer could only take the license for repairs to a gunsmith if the original owner were not around.

A retainer does not allow you to shoot people.

A license does not also allow you to shoot people. (Unless they are shooting, stabbing or otherwise doing singularly unpleasant things to you)

Think of it as a Passport. You cannot travel on your wife’s passport, can you? (at least I sincerely hope not)

4What is a Purchase Period?

(Every time you purchase a weapon it has to have a purchase period on the license. Said PP is given by the home department. It is usually for 30 days in Sindh and 90 days in Punjab). And after that it expires, and you have to get a fresh PP.

5 How are weapons transferred from one license to another?

All transfers can take place only via authorized firearms dealers.

Suppose Mr. Boota wants to swap his weapon with Mr. Toota’s gun. They both have pistol licenses and 9mm pistols on them. The dealer will take both their pistols off their respective licenses, and enter them into his record. He will send both the licenses to the home department for fresh PP. Once that comes, he will transfer them to their respective new owners, with receipt of sale.
    In this way, they would have officially ‘purchased’ their respective weapon from the authorized firearms dealer. This is the only legal way.

Mr. Boota can always bump off Mr. Toota and snatch his gun. But that is not legal.

The typical charges for a pp range from 1 -2k. You need a fresh pp for every purchase.

6 What is Forensics Testing?

In Sindh all weapon purchases can be legal only if this step takes place. That is the law
    For reference: https://fp.brecorder.com/2016/09/2016092988911/

“A vendor will now be required to carry out a test fire of the gun with two shots and submit the used bullet cartridges to the forensic laboratories. The law is expected to streamline the arms sells in the province.”

The above applies only to Sindh province as far as I know and the typical charges are 2k

7 Sindh Licenses

As far as I know the very last official direct home department Sindh computerized licenses was made on 17th March 2013. ( I know cause it was mine).

Back dated manuals have been made since then.

8 What is OMNI computerization Sindh?

Current scenario is that back dated manual licenses are made and then they are computerized via OMNI computerization.

You make a back dated licenses and you pay the bank Rs. 1100 and get a form. Once you get the form, you will fill it and get it attested from all the relevant people and submit it to the DC office. Who will in their turn, submit it to NADRA who will (after verification) send it to Islamabad. And they will check the status and print the book and send it back to the DC office. You will then take your manual book and give it to them, and they will give you the computerized one.

This is theory. In practice, they are known to take all the attested forms, give them to the rag pickers. They get enough money for samosas.

I know a lot of seniors who have submitted their forms like half a dozen times over the years and they never made it out of the DC office... But disappeared. It depends on DC to DC staff.

Total cost is around 20k for the manual license. But with the right palm greasing and contacts, it is possible to get it computerized by paying another 10k or so.

9 Home department CM quota license

The CM has the power to issue lics in Sindh. These licenses cost around 45-50k and are fresh dated computerized lics. You have to go to the home department for your verification and bio-metrics. Hand over the cash afterwards and pick up the license in 4 to 6 weeks. (approx.)

10 Baluchistan lics

These are of two different types

10 a District ones

Dera Bugti, Aravan, Hub etc etc. they look like something a grade 3 student stapled together on a homework project. They come with a one month PP in Sindh.

The data is transferred to the area DC in Sindh (as per the license holder’s cnic address). The license holder’s area DC sends a letter to the DC office where the license was made. They send a verification letter to the area DC office (arms section). You get the copy of that letter and the license is now carried just like any other license.

The whole process takes 6 weeks or so. (approx.) and the charges are around 20 to 23k or so

10 b Quetta home department paper license

It’s a loooong piece of paper and nothing else. It is issued by the home department in Quetta. Same procedure. Cost 27-30k. It’s a lot better than a book stapled by an 8 year old in his free time.

All of the above are book licenses and you can sale and purchase as many times as you want on the same license.

11 MOI card lics

I read a press report that they are open to the common man. In my experience the government keeps making such statements since they derive sadistic pleasure in disappointing the common man.

These are transferable in theory. They give you a piece of paper with it to transfer your weapon. In practice, if you are not an ISL resident, you should take a leaf from the Pharaoh’s book and take em with you, when you die. I am going to do that as well. Since its all but impossible to change anything on them.

12 Punjab card lics.
    As above, but transfer is not as difficult

13 ISL licenses

They were open last year. No idea bout now.

14 KPK card lics

They are open and that is a good thing.

15 AKJ licenses

The government announced that it was handing out free licenses to AJK residents. No idea if they just announced or are actually following though.
    What is the minimum age requirement for licenses

As a general rule, manual licenses are available to 18 year olds and computerized ones can be availed when you are 25 years old.
    Last edited by Enigmatic Desires; 28-08-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Salute sir!!!
    Never Advice Good Advice ---- Someone Might Take It

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saad4k View Post
    Salute sir!!!
    Thank you most kindly, sir
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    I get a whole lot of mail everyday asking me questions. I am trying to consolidate all of the data I have acquired over the years into answering basic questions. I would encourage other seniors to help and chip in to guide our newbie brothers.

1 What is a license and what it can and cannot do?

Firearms license entitles you to purchase a fire arm or other weapon. Unless specifically stated it entitles you to only purchase ‘one’ firearm or other weapon. You cannot use it to purchase a nuke an F 16 or even a bazooka.
    (or lots of the above)
    It “cannot” scare away bad guys on its own. So waving a license in front of a mugger will not stop you from getting mugged. (He might beat you though... on general principle).

2 How many Weapons allowed on one License?

There is only one weapon allowed per license. In the ancient days when all licenses were open and dinosaurs walked the earth, it was possible to make one license for multiple weapons. Dinosaurs are extinct. So are such lics (barring a few old fossils that keep turning up)

3 Are licenses transferable?

Licenses are non-transferable
    (Barring extremely rare circumstances amongst immediate blood relatives) You cannot purchase and carry weapons on a license belonging to you your uncle’s brother-in-law’s great grandfather. Sindh and Moi have done away with the retainer part of their licenses. In any event, a retainer could only take the license for repairs to a gunsmith if the original owner were not around.

A retainer does not allow you to shoot people.

A license does not also allow you to shoot people. (Unless they are shooting, stabbing or otherwise doing singularly unpleasant things to you)

Think of it as a Passport. You cannot travel on your wife’s passport, can you? (at least I sincerely hope not)

4What is a Purchase Period?

(Every time you purchase a weapon it has to have a purchase period on the license. Said PP is given by the home department. It is usually for 30 days in Sindh and 90 days in Punjab). And after that it expires, and you have to get a fresh PP.

5 How are weapons transferred from one license to another?

All transfers can take place only via authorized firearms dealers.

Suppose Mr. Boota wants to swap his weapon with Mr. Toota’s gun. They both have pistol licenses and 9mm pistols on them. The dealer will take both their pistols off their respective licenses, and enter them into his record. He will send both the licenses to the home department for fresh PP. Once that comes, he will transfer them to their respective new owners, with receipt of sale.
    In this way, they would have officially ‘purchased’ their respective weapon from the authorized firearms dealer. This is the only legal way.

Mr. Boota can always bump off Mr. Toota and snatch his gun. But that is not legal.

The typical charges for a pp range from 1 -2k. You need a fresh pp for every purchase.

6 What is Forensics Testing?

In Sindh all weapon purchases can be legal only if this step takes place. That is the law
    For reference: https://fp.brecorder.com/2016/09/2016092988911/

“A vendor will now be required to carry out a test fire of the gun with two shots and submit the used bullet cartridges to the forensic laboratories. The law is expected to streamline the arms sells in the province.”

The above applies only to Sindh province as far as I know and the typical charges are 2k

7 Sindh Licenses

As far as I know the very last official direct home department Sindh computerized licenses was made on 17th March 2013. ( I know cause it was mine).

Back dated manuals have been made since then.

8 What is OMNI computerization Sindh?

Current scenario is that back dated manual licenses are made and then they are computerized via OMNI computerization.

You make a back dated licenses and you pay the bank Rs. 1100 and get a form. Once you get the form, you will fill it and get it attested from all the relevant people and submit it to the DC office. Who will in their turn, submit it to NADRA who will (after verification) send it to Islamabad. And they will check the status and print the book and send it back to the DC office. You will then take your manual book and give it to them, and they will give you the computerized one.

This is theory. In practice, they are known to take all the attested forms, give them to the rag pickers. They get enough money for samosas.

I know a lot of seniors who have submitted their forms like half a dozen times over the years and they never made it out of the DC office... But disappeared. It depends on DC to DC staff.

Total cost is around 20k for the manual license. But with the right palm greasing and contacts, it is possible to get it computerized by paying another 10k or so.

9 Home department CM quota license

The CM has the power to issue lics in Sindh. These licenses cost around 45-50k and are fresh dated computerized lics. You have to go to the home department for your verification and bio-metrics. Hand over the cash afterwards and pick up the license in 4 to 6 weeks. (approx.)

10 Baluchistan lics

These are of two different types

10 a District ones

Dera Bugti, Aravan, Hub etc etc. they look like something a grade 3 student stapled together on a homework project. They come with a one month PP in Sindh.

The data is transferred to the area DC in Sindh (as per the license holder’s cnic address). The license holder’s area DC sends a letter to the DC office where the license was made. They send a verification letter to the area DC office (arms section). You get the copy of that letter and the license is now carried just like any other license.

The whole process takes 6 weeks or so. (approx.) and the charges are around 20 to 23k or so

10 b Quetta home department paper license

It’s a loooong piece of paper and nothing else. It is issued by the home department in Quetta. Same procedure. Cost 27-30k. It’s a lot better than a book stapled by an 8 year old in his free time.

All of the above are book licenses and you can sale and purchase as many times as you want on the same license.

11 MOI card lics

I read a press report that they are open to the common man. In my experience the government keeps making such statements since they derive sadistic pleasure in disappointing the common man.

These are transferable in theory. They give you a piece of paper with it to transfer your weapon. In practice, if you are not an ISL resident, you should take a leaf from the Pharaoh’s book and take em with you, when you die. I am going to do that as well. Since its all but impossible to change anything on them.

12 Punjab card lics.
    As above, but transfer is not as difficult

13 ISL licenses

They were open last year. No idea bout now.

14 KPK card lics

They are open and that is a good thing.

15 AKJ licenses

The government announced that it was handing out free licenses to AJK residents. No idea if they just announced or are actually following though.
    What is the minimum age requirement for licenses

As a general rule, manual licenses are available to 18 year olds and computerized ones can be availed when you are 25 years old.
    Thank-you so very much Sir.