Thread: Muntjac Deer x2

Muntjac Deer x2

Hi

There may be someone interested in these 2 that I sorted last couple of weeks.
    If I recall correctly the details usually wanted are:

Calibre: 0.222Rem, Bullet: 50grn SP Norma, Rifle: Tikka 595 SS, Scope: Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44,
    Distance: 15 & 25m

L
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Loki; 31-03-2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Grammer & correction

Member Extraordinaire
    Nice. Tell me more about the shot placement on the second one.
    And what is the lowest caliber you would be comfortable shoot these with?
    What is the law regarding hunting deer with shotgun?

Hi

Ahh, someone who is interested!

Right, he was walking towards me, about 15m in a belt of trees. We were parallel to each other - he on the inside and me on the pasture side of the trees. The tree belt has lots of brush/sapling growth because it has not been cleared for some time, so always something in the line of sight between us.
    He ambled along slowly, browsing here and there, with me back-peddling to find a clear opening whilst at the same time trying to ensure he didnt see me/movement as I was in the open.
    I set up twice but could not be sure of no obstruction between us as scopes are mounted higher than the barrel.
    At the second position I could just swivel to an opening that I was confident of a clear line but only to where his shoulder/neck join. As he approached I called 'Oi', stopping him in his tracks, just where I needed him to and then as he looked at me I gently squeezed the trigger. He dropped to the shot.
    Old fellah, with a broken tusk on one side and a deep canine gash to his left rear leg, through skin into muscle.

The law says a minimum of .22 centre-fire to be used with 50grn bullets for Muntjac/Chinese Water Deer unless in Scotland where Roe can be shot using same or greater.
    No shotguns allowed for deer unless for humane dispatch after RTA's.

I will try to remember a photo of me looking into the tree belt to put into perspective.

Not sure I understand 'lowest caliber you would be comfortable shoot these with' - after the law, the single most important thing is to ensure any deer (or indeed animal) is humanely shot. I have shot similar deer with bigger calibres (0.270W & 0.300WM) and they have run significant distances, even though they are dead on their feet (heart/lungs shredded). Fortunately all have been found/collected.

Look up Yorkshire Deer Stalking (Professional Guide who films his clients) on U-Tube - plenty of deer running after the shot.

L
    Last edited by Loki; 01-04-2019 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Spelling & addional comments

Member Extraordinaire
    I am never fond of reading, never liked it. Just could not comprehend the idea of buying books or reading anything online. But a well written descriptive detail of any hunt catches my attention and suddenly I want to read more on it. The only reading worth reading for me is just what you have written above.
    You have mentioned that 50 grn bullet interesting as to if it's fired how would they know what grn it was. Checking the caliber makes sense but this is new to me.
    What is your preferred caliber and why for this sized game, Coyotes and boars if you have any.

Hi

Thats what the law says. If stopped on the way home to/from hunting ground leading to a check of papers, serial numbers etc. which would include the bullets in my possession at the time given my reason for being 'tooled-up' is deer control. In this case the bullet was lodged under the skin so potentially could be linked in a laboratory.

I would give an example - over here any air-rifle/gun, can only be below 12ftlb if not on a F-Certificate, otherwise firearms offence. Now, if the Polis confiscate and send for testing, the laboratory may use any pellet to establish the energy level, if its over the limit its serious as an illegal firearm - even if you use different pellets in your time/use.

I have no preferred calibre for Muntjac - the law tells what I can use. I have used 0.243W, 0.270W, 0.300WM. We dont have Coyotes - if we did a 0.222R would certainly spoil its day at sensible distances - rem - humane kill even if not eatable. Boar on the other hand are proliferating with a recommendation of 0.270W and 130grn bullets.

Hope this provides some clarification.

L