Thread: Sambar Deer

Sambar Deer

Hi

I appreciate these are essentially an 'Indian' species but curious if these are to be found in PK and who, if any one, has hunted them?

L

I'm sad no one has answered your query i guess no one has hunted it here... I'm not even sure if it lives here.
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

Hello S

Thank you for your reply, disappointing though it is.
    I get the distinct impression that there is not much interest on Pakguns in hunting deer, for whatever reason(s) - maybe just a lack of opportunity - or just best to not make the effort to share my interest and experiences.......

L

Yes. That can be attributed to the ban on Import of weapons and ammunition and the ban on issuance of arms licenses.
    You see there's nothing much to discuss about when you can't get anything...
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

Hello S

Thank you for clarifying.
    Whilst there are difficulties in acquiring licences here also - chicken/egg situation - you have to have access to the (deer) species, which is usually private land, once sorted usually other opportunities (swaps/exchange abroad) open up.

L

For now all that we have is hunting which is strictly regulated by the government. As in which months you can hunt.
    The most easy and widely practiced hunts here are of
    Pigeon,quail,duck and boar.
    Over here deer permit is relatively expensive then the ones mentioned above and usually what little deer population we have left is in or near military areas and access to that is also hectic.
    Hunting is the only activity now days which gun enthusiasts/hunters can do.
    Because buying and selling is at its lowest hence no new reviews or tests on guns......

Hi S

Thank you for your reply.
    I have shot Sambar (.300WM and 7mm RM), and recently Chinese Water Deer (.222R), but as I see/understand it probably not a good idea to share the photos.

L

This is an international forum, you have hunted abiding your law. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't share your pictures.
    Pictures is what keeps a thread alive and hunters best way to express themselves

Hi

Last October, a good friend Down Under, took me out on 'Walkabout' to shoot Sambar Deer - here is my second....
    Hope to collect them next week ready to put on the wall.

Name:  #2 Stag, Sambar.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  85.5 KB

L

That deer looks nice. So are we getting some details and more pictures (can't see much of the deer)? Is it an introduced species at that location? what is the story of your hunt.
    Last edited by H Panni; 17-01-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Hi #10

What details are you looking for?
    I will try to put a couple more photos up - just the 'bush' and how difficult it is for this species.
    Cropping the photo took off some of the deer - didnt get a 'full' one of this one, my second.
    Sambar deer, along with other species, were introduced into Australia and now are considered pests in many areas requiring robust control.

L
    Last edited by Loki; 22-01-2019 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Additional information