Thread: Moonstar Arms 1911

Moonstar Arms 1911

Greetings all , I got a call from Saif ( Moonstar arms) that he has one last piece of 1911 available for sale (28K) and might not have any more for some time since the master gunsmith who works on 1911’s has quit. Not wasting anytime I quickly acquired the gun and have spent the past few days firing it at the range. So here’s the low- down on the moon star 1911 clone.

First of all this 1911 is not made to original spec and neither parts nor mags are interchangeable with an original 1911. Gun disassembles like a regular 1911
    Amazing finish and feel. This ones been duracoated and has laminated wood grips. The front slide serrations are real helpful. All parts are fit snug and slide to frame fit is tight and smooth. No wobble or play of any sort.

Magazines are 7 rounders and very well built . Follower is sturdy, feed lips are well made and strong.

Front slide serrations and extended beaver tail are real useful, hammer serrations are a bit rough and hammer spring needs to be lightned. The skeletonized trigger has a very slight take up followed by a crisp break averaging 5.5lbs.

The safety is totally crap and doesn’t work. It disengages if you pull the trigger hard. After shooting about 50 rounds the safety got stuck in the disengaged position. Will have it removed permanently since no safety is better than a faulty safety.

Now for the real bummer! The gun was shooting more than 12” right of poa. I took the gun apart and found the culprit. The barrel is crooked and misaligned to the right. After some difficulty I managed to get the barrel out of the slide. . So I took a hammer to the fixed sights and went medieval on them till I got the sights moved far enough to the left to compensate for the barrel crookedness. Also shaved off 25% of the rear sight and 50% of the front sight to get the sights zeroed in @ 25 meters. Banged the gun up pretty good in the process but will have it duracoated and new sights installed.
    Below you can see how misaligned the barrel is . I have it standing straight next to a bottle of Stickoo for reference.

So off to the range I was again to see if sight adjustment helped. Ammo used was Federal Nato Ball . The gun shot dead on and I was impressed by the results. The grouping are not tight becasue I could not get a consistent sight picture because i had damaged the notch on the rear sight while grinding off some of it. With new sights installed the gun can easily give tighter groupings. The shots circled in black are before sight adjustment.

Youtube link of range shooting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elipgRb_J1o

Over all I am very impressed by the Moonstar 1911. Even with a misaligned barrel the gun is accurate. The barrel issue can be solved easily by getting a new barrel made and checking at the factory for any inconsistencies. Safety is crap and I will have mine removed. Trigger is very nice and crisp and after a few hundred rounds should smoothen out even more. Initially I was a bit disappointed that the gun wont accepts oem 1911 mags but after seeing the build quality of the moonstar mags I am satisfied. In total 100 rounds were fired through the gun and only one Failure to feed issue. Considering all good 1911’s require at least 300 rounds to break in, i think the moonstar performed admirably.
    Last edited by Stealth; 18-05-2018 at 07:13 PM.
    YouTube: Guns Pakistan
    Instagram: Guns_Pakistan

Lord of War
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    Greetings all , I got a call from Saif ( Moonstar arms) that he has one last piece of 1911 available for sale (28K) and might not have any more for some time since the master gunsmith who works on 1911’s has quit. Not wasting anytime I quickly acquired the gun and have spent the past few days firing it at the range. So here’s the low- down on the moon star 1911 clone.

First of all this 1911 is not made to original spec and neither parts nor mags are interchangeable with an original 1911. Gun disassembles like a regular 1911
    Amazing finish and feel. This ones been duracoated and has laminated wood grips. The front slide serrations are real helpful. All parts are fit snug and slide to frame fit is tight and smooth. No wobble or play of any sort.

Magazines are 7 rounders and very well built . Follower is sturdy, feed lips are well made and strong.

Front slide serrations and extended beaver tail are real useful, hammer serrations are a bit rough and hammer spring needs to be lightned. The skeletonized trigger has a very slight take up followed by a crisp break averaging 5.5lbs.

The safety is totally crap and doesn’t work. It disengages if you pull the trigger hard. After shooting about 50 rounds the safety got stuck in the disengaged position. Will have it removed permanently since no safety is better than a faulty safety.

Now for the real bummer! The gun was shooting more than 12” right of poa. I took the gun apart and found the culprit. The barrel is crooked and misaligned to the right. After some difficulty I managed to get the barrel out of the slide. . So I took a hammer to the fixed sights and went medieval on them till I got the sights moved far enough to the left to compensate for the barrel crookedness. Also shaved off 25% of the rear sight and 50% of the front sight to get the sights zeroed in @ 25 meters. Banged the gun up pretty good in the process but will have it duracoated and new sights installed.
    Below you can see how misaligned the barrel is . I have it standing straight next to a bottle of Stickoo for reference.

So off to the range I was again to see if sight adjustment helped. Ammo used was Federal Nato Ball . The gun shot dead on and I was impressed by the results. The grouping are not tight becasue I could not get a consistent sight picture because i had damaged the notch on the rear sight while grinding off some of it. With new sights installed the gun can easily give tighter groupings. The shots circled in black are before sight adjustment.

Youtube link of range shooting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elipgRb_J1o

Over all I am very impressed by the Moonstar 1911. Even with a misaligned barrel the gun is accurate. The barrel issue can be solved easily by getting a new barrel made and checking at the factory for any inconsistencies. Safety is crap and I will have mine removed. Trigger is very nice and crisp and after a few hundred rounds should smoothen out even more. Initially I was a bit disappointed that the gun wont accepts oem 1911 mags but after seeing the build quality of the moonstar mags I am satisfied. In total 100 rounds were fired through the gun and only one Failure to feed issue. Considering all good 1911’s require at least 300 rounds to break in, i think the moonstar performed admirably.
    Excellent review stealth brother.....I got one in 9mm in jan, the issue I got with mine are same, gun shoots way too high, and a little to the right.....I planned on getting new sights for 1911 and have them installed.......I faced no issue with the safety latch and works good for me.....as you mentioned, the gun itself is sturdy, the only problem is with the sight.....bkw you mentioned about barrel....I think I need tobslcheck same on mine.....

Are you serious?? With misaligned barrel, no safety and sights almost dropping out, You say its an impressive deal. Wow!!
    Thats a height of patriotism. Salute
    Two most important days in your life:
    The day you were BORN & The day you find out WHY

Quote Originally Posted by fezan View Post
    Are you serious?? With misaligned barrel, no safety and sights almost dropping out, You say its an impressive deal. Wow!!
    Thats a height of patriotism. Salute
    Glock i bought from MSA also used to shoot everywhere instead of where you wanted it to shoot. Its barrel was misalined and sights were also off. So i bought adjustable sights but later i disposed off the gun.
    Keep Calm & Carry One

@ballixd : Thank you
    @ fezan
    @ pakistanitoup

I can see why the 1911 would look like a piece of crap but I feel it has the potential to be a very decent shooter. Here is my take on it:

There is a difference between bullets going every where and bullets landing in the same spot but away from poa.

In my local glock 34 the bullets are going every where @25m range because the bullets are not achieving their BC (ballistic coefficient) due to which they are unstable in flight , cannot maintain a straight path ,bullet drops more quickly ,most often tumbles and deflects more in the wind. Local glocks have an oversized barrel so the bullet is not connecting with barrel grooves correctly and not getting adequate spin stabilization which is important for achieving the best BC .Such a gun cannot be salvaged and is junk.

On the other hand as in the case of the 1911 that is shooting 12” right of POA , all bullets are grouping close together , it is clear that the bullets are achieving their ballistic coefficient and barrel size, twist rate, grooves are perfect . This was further proven after I adjusted the sights and all bullets landed at POA. The bullets are landing spot on . Now the misaligned barrel is not a big problem . Will have a new barrel made from moonstar and check it for any inconsistency and problem solved. Sights can be then set back to their normal postion. The tolerances are tight in the 1911 and combined with the crisp trigger it has , it can be a great shooter.

Yes I agree, the safety not working is a big issue for those who would want to use it for SD/hd but since I have never been a huge proponent for using local made weapons for SD/HD purposes, it doesn’t bother me.

I shall update on the hopefully positive results once I have the new barrel installed.
    Last edited by Stealth; 19-05-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Lord of War
    @ballixd : Thank you
    @ fezan
    @ pakistanitoup

I can see why the 1911 would look like a piece of crap but I feel it has the potential to be a very decent shooter. Here is my take on it:

There is a difference between bullets going every where and bullets landing in the same spot but away from poa.

In my local glock 34 the bullets are going every where @25m range because the bullets are not achieving their BC (ballistic coefficient) due to which they are unstable in flight , cannot maintain a straight path ,bullet drops more quickly ,most often tumbles and deflects more in the wind. Local glocks have an oversized barrel so the bullet is not connecting with barrel grooves correctly and not getting adequate spin stabilization which is important for achieving the best BC .Such a gun cannot be salvaged and is junk.

On the other hand as in the case of the 1911 that is shooting 12” right of POA , all bullets are grouping close together , it is clear that the bullets are achieving their ballistic coefficient and barrel size, twist rate, grooves are perfect . This was further proven after I adjusted the sights and all bullets landed at POA. The bullets are landing spot on . Now the misaligned barrel is not a big problem . Will have a new barrel made from moonstar and check it for any inconsistency and problem solved. Sights can be then set back to their normal postion. The tolerances are tight in the 1911 and combined with the crisp trigger it has , it can be a great shooter.

Yes I agree, the safety not working is a big issue for those who would want to use it for SD/hd but since I have never been a huge proponent for using local made weapons for SD/HD purposes, it doesn’t bother me.

I shall update on the hopefully positive results once I have the new barrel installed.
    Stealth, you got this one in 9mm or .45? That is indeed useful info you have shared and I would agree with you again that sights can be adjusted properly and we can get it right on target.....let me know which sights you will be installing on this....

Quote Originally Posted by ballixd View Post
    Stealth, you got this one in 9mm or .45? That is indeed useful info you have shared and I would agree with you again that sights can be adjusted properly and we can get it right on target.....let me know which sights you will be installing on this....
    It's in .45. I will keep the iron sights for the time being. If/when the barrel issue gets resolved I shall get some adjustable sights . Will let u know

It's in .45. I will keep the iron sights for the time being. If/when the barrel issue gets resolved I shall get some adjustable sights . Will let u know
    Goodluck dear.
    Keep Calm & Carry One

Wow, what a review by Stealth, its been a while since I saw a good review on Pakguns...
    "There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men."

@Deathrow : Thank you

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Not only is this an excellent review. it has also effectively crushed my dreams of an MSA 1911. Getting the darned thing to karachi is difficult enough as it is. But then getting a fresh barrel and checking it all over again. And going "medieval" (as the good Stealth put it so colloquially), is not my cup of tea. And the gun has been designed to be carried in condition one . I.e cocked and locked. Kinda puts a dampe And the icing on the cake. There wont be any 1911s in .45 to begin with

(sigh.. Just just sigh)

Guess i wil just get a Llama in .32 on the license I had reserved especially for the MSA .45. Its a minature version of the full sized 1911

Me
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Very nicely elaborated review, Kudos dear Stealth.
    I understand your point when you say that being priced under 30K it is good enough for range plinking etc BUT at the same time I would agree with Fezan too that with the issues pertaining to dysfunctional safety and misaligned barrel along with the non-calibrated sights, it is a definite turn-off. I surely give you a thumbs up for the rectifications which you made to the gun to bring the POI on POA but at the same time not everyone can do that and so they would end up with a Duracoated beautiful handgun which would serve better as a showpiece but in no way something to carry around for any reason whatsoever (Range plinking is also becoming difficult due to the soaring prices of the .45ACP rounds).

PS: I very much doubt MSA's statement that the expert karigar of 1911 has left their factory. I think you were told that to sell out that "unit" which might not have been sold out for a reason.

Cheers
    “Bottom Line; If We’re Gonna Have Fun, There Better Be A Lot Of Ammo!”

Being Big & Sexy... I am anywhere I wanna be
    Salam All,
    Hey Stealth, great review... kindly check email.
    \"In a world of compromise... Some Don\'t!\" Heckler & Koch

\"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.\" Bill of Rights - 2 Amendment of the Constitution of U.S.

Nice review stealth bro.if you change grips on it,it will look great.

@Fa226 : Thank you
    @moeen : hey ..having issues with phone/email. will contact u soon
    @jibz : thank you and your analysis is spot on
    @enigmatic desires : thank you and sorry for crushing your moonstar 1911 dreams. the pt1911 would be a great option if you can find one at a good price.
    @ Fezan: your assessment is correct and as a ready to shoot out of the box gun , it is a complete failure.

However , for those like myself who are more inclined towards tinkering with firearms and live in the vicinity of moonstar , the 1911 has the potential to be transformed into a very good range gun at a nominal cost, provided some time and effort is put into it , which i shall do after Eid .
    Last edited by Stealth; 22-05-2018 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibz View Post
    Very nicely elaborated review, Kudos dear Stealth.
    I understand your point when you say that being priced under 30K it is good enough for range plinking etc BUT at the same time I would agree with Fezan too that with the issues pertaining to dysfunctional safety and misaligned barrel along with the non-calibrated sights, it is a definite turn-off. I surely give you a thumbs up for the rectifications which you made to the gun to bring the POI on POA but at the same time not everyone can do that and so they would end up with a Duracoated beautiful handgun which would serve better as a showpiece but in no way something to carry around for any reason whatsoever (Range plinking is also becoming difficult due to the soaring prices of the .45ACP rounds).

PS: I very much doubt MSA's statement that the expert karigar of 1911 has left their factory. I think you were told that to sell out that "unit" which might not have been sold out for a reason.

Cheers
    MSA is a dramaybaz and nosarbaz weapon maker.
    Keep Calm & Carry One

Quote Originally Posted by pakistanitoup View Post
    MSA is a dramaybaz and nosarbaz weapon maker.
    totally agreed
    MSA- Saif is a deceitful and fraud dealer.
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shahroze View Post
    totally agreed
    MSA- Saif is a deceitful and fraud dealer.
    There is a story behind all this Dramabzai and Nosarbazi. Actually their father Islamuddin was a very decent and respected man. He had many sons probably 5-6. During his old age (and specifically after his death) all of them claim to be real heir to the legacy of their father. Unfortunately each of them have relation with each other like Indo-Pak relations. Factory is only one, owners are 5-6 and each with different approach and agenda. Fortunately for them, they are a bit educated and can read and write English on Facebook. So they are making fool of pour and innocent souls from Punjab (mainly). I personally have been conned by these thugs. But fortunately I have strong connections in Pekhawar so finally I managed to get rid of them Alhamdolillah.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktar View Post
    There is a story behind all this Dramabzai and Nosarbazi. Actually their father Islamuddin was a very decent and respected man. He had many sons probably 5-6. During his old age (and specifically after his death) all of them claim to be real heir to the legacy of their father. Unfortunately each of them have relation with each other like Indo-Pak relations. Factory is only one, owners are 5-6 and each with different approach and agenda. Fortunately for them, they are a bit educated and can read and write English on Facebook. So they are making fool of pour and innocent souls from Punjab (mainly). I personally have been conned by these thugs. But fortunately I have strong connections in Pekhawar so finally I managed to get rid of them Alhamdolillah.
    They can work together and do business ethically, share profits according to predefined percentage. with time people will know the reality and stop doing business with them just as i did.
    Last edited by pakistanitoup; 23-05-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    Keep Calm & Carry One