Thread: Airgun scope Focus Ring and AO settings

Airgun scope Focus Ring and AO settings

Hello/AoA Everyone,

Airgun: Artemis SR1250
    Scope: 4-16X42 AO Riflescope Mil Dot Reticle

I am facing issue in POI and most probably its due to focus and parallax. I am going to fix it on coming saturday.

I learnt about it from PG and other forums but there is a confusion.

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/for...int-of-impact/

I am not sure at what magnification (minimum or 12x (where I want to hunt)) I will fix it according to above reference.

I really appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Civilian View Post
    I am not sure at what magnification (minimum or 12x (where I want to hunt)) I will fix it according to above reference.
    1. Set zoom to maximum.

2. Zero the gun at 10 meter (i.e. Aim at the X in red http://www.targetprinter.com/images/...irbullseye.jpg)
    3. Adjust the scope so that it hits the same X spot every time (https://www.pyramydair.com/aimage/target.jpg/46 | https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/wp-c...stol-group.jpg | https://www.pyramydair.com/aimage/5....g-group.jpg/16)

4. Zero gun at 15 meters (make 3-5 pellet groupings)
    5. Adjust the scope so that it hits the same X spot every time

6. Zero gun at 20 meters (make 3-5 pellet groupings)
    7. Adjust the scope so that it hits the same X spot every time

8. Zero gun at previous+5 meters (make 3-5 pellet groupings)
    9. Adjust the scope so that it hits the same X spot every time

and so on...

Try many different types, shapes, sizes, grams and companies of pellets. Discover this pellet is suited for your gun the best. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellet...un-pellets.jpg |

Make sure the target you are hitting has a strong and wide back (wood, dirt hill, etc)

Make sure no one is standing behind the target up to 300 to 400 years. No one should be running about in the immediate vicinity.

Try making a consistent practice routine. Other than that, practice, practice and practice.
    Standing with Pak Army, in life and after death.

Salam All,
    Welcome to the forums, Civilian bro. Hope you are well.

I dont understand your query. POI means point of impact, so what problem are you facing with POI? Is it hitting low, up, left or right? Or are you facing consistency issues.....or does the POI change with the AO adjustment?
    If you think you are getting inconsistency with your scope, then the first thing i'd suggest doing is getting the scope off, and shooting at a distance of 10-15 yards and checking what the group looks like. If you are still getting inconsistency, then its either you or the gun has some mechanical fault.

Anyways, please feel free to ask anything but please clarify your original query.

Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamranwali View Post
    Salam All,
    Welcome to the forums, Civilian bro. Hope you are well.

I dont understand your query. POI means point of impact, so what problem are you facing with POI? Is it hitting low, up, left or right? Or are you facing consistency issues.....or does the POI change with the AO adjustment?
    If you think you are getting inconsistency with your scope, then the first thing i'd suggest doing is getting the scope off, and shooting at a distance of 10-15 yards and checking what the group looks like. If you are still getting inconsistency, then its either you or the gun has some mechanical fault.

Anyways, please feel free to ask anything but please clarify your original query.

Regards.
    It seems that my query isn't clearly expalined. Sorry for that

I zeroed the scope at 27 yards with setting AO at 30 yards but without eyepiece focus ring settings, got some good groups. But If I missed the correct positon of my eye behind the eyepiece the POI shift two inches with respect to my eye position.

After some research I figure out that its due to parallax error. According to above reference in my first post to fix parrallax first I need to fix the focus and then Parrallax:

Quote Originally Posted by Colster at pigeonwatch
    Turn the focus ring as far anti clockwise as it will go, then point the rifle at something blank and a long way away (blue sky for example), now move your head away from the scope then quickly move it back to look down the scope. The reticle should be a bit fuzzy but after a second or so your eye will compensate and draw it into focus, this is bad and where parallax becomes an issue. Keep making small adjustments to the focus ring until your eye sees the reticle as sharp as soon as you look at it. If your focus ring has a lock, then lock it now and never touch it again

Now rest the rifle somewhere so it can't move about facing a target 25 yards away (or another distance that is marked on the AO ring of your scope) and look down the scope, whilst looking down the scope move your head slightly up and down and side to side, if you can see the target appear to move independant of the crosshair then adjust the parallax ring until there is no independant movement. Look at where you are on the AO setting and even if it says 50, that is your setting for 25 yards. The markings are only a guide and shouldn't be read as gospel, you need to find your own reference points.
    But at what magnification I will follow the above process? (minimum or at what I mostly hunt)

Target: Name:  target.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  69.2 KB

Thanks
    Last edited by Civilian; 03-11-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Salams,
    Ok got it. First, the eyepiece adjustment is usually for people who need to use reading glasses. Its basically like I donot use reading glasses so all my scopes are set to minimum....one way of setting the eyepiece is to put the magnification on full and look at a bright white, well lit wall through the scope.....then close your eye for a few seconds, open it and see if the reticle comes into focus immediately or u need to strain to focus the reticle. But generally speaking if you dont wear glasses for reading u should be ok with the setting set to minimum. Once you do this, leave this setting and dont change it.

Then comes the AO... now the markings are not always correct, and you need to set the Ao to a position where the reticle and target are both in focus. But there are other things to consider.....like with airguns consistency of hold is also important. If your eye is not in consistent position, most probably your hold is changing as well. And that causes POI shifts too. Plus you need to follow through your shot.

Thirdly, if the scope is not broken or impaired, it does not matter what magnification you zero at.....the centre of the reticle stays at the same POA at all magnifications.

A few questions, what scope r u using? What pellets?? And how much has your gun been shot? And have u tried without the scope??

More later.

Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

Salams,
    A few questions, what scope r u using? What pellets?? And how much has your gun been shot? And have u tried without the scope??

More later.

Regards.

its Diana (bushnell Good Copy) 4-16*42 AO, Pellet Crossman Premier Domed

Gun worked good without scope and used it approx between 300-600 pellets.

I wear permanent glasess (cylindrical number).

Ok back to point.

I have done the testing and got some good groups, but some time it feels me when I am lookin in it, a sudden recticle movement (right shift (click))

|
    | ---->
    |

Is it my illusion? because there is no error (no change in) POI?

Salam All,
    Bro, the scope seems fine....
    But you lost me again in the second part of your post

What do u mean right shift click....and what reticle movement???
    And if there is no POI change, then what are we discussing?
    Sorry bro, please use simple english......I think my english isnt that....ahem....strong....

Regards

Salam All,
    Bro, the scope seems fine....
    But you lost me again in the second part of your post

What do u mean right shift click....and what reticle movement???
    And if there is no POI change, then what are we discussing?
    Sorry bro, please use simple english......I think my english isnt that....ahem....strong....

Regards
    Sorry for my bad english, its not my first language (even not third)...

It is working but not sure about the click, is it my illusion? or whatevere might be my glasses (glasses with cylindrical numbers also behave weirdly at different angles too)

Name:  output_GL4Mtj.gif
Views: 34
Size:  4.6 KB

>> And if there is no POI change, then what are we discussing

Thats true but on the coming weekend will check it again.

Salam,
    Dont worry abt your english civilian bro. Its just that I wasn't getting what you were saying. I think I do now.

What you're saying is most probably AO issue. You need to put your scope at the highest magnification, then look into the eyepiece, and focus on the reticle, then turn the AO till both the reticle and target are in clear as can be. Do not worry abt the markings on the AO knob, they are usually off. Jes get a clear picture, while focusing on the reticle. Once done, bring the magnification down to wherever you're comfortable, and hopefully this shifting will go away.
    Try it and let me know.

Always here to help.

Regards.
    Last edited by Kamranwali; 15-11-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Salam,
    Try it and let me know.

Always here to help.

Regards.
    Thanks Bro.