Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help !

Need help !

Dear pakgun members, i have been silent reader of this forum, and i gained alot of knowledge from this forum.
    I was in a process of building a .308 rifle, so in order to build a rifle i needed a machine gun barrel and a 7mm rifle. While in my search of .308 barrel i came across a mg3 barrel in POLYGONAl bore profile. At first i was very happy to buy it , but later on some one suggested me that the barrel i have is not succesful for converting a rifle.
    I need advice from fellow members, should i carry on further rifle building process or should i stop it.

Any suggestions?

Member Extraordinaire ajmal virk's Avatar
    its better that you should not proceed further on this project

Quote Originally Posted by ajmal virk View Post
    its better that you should not proceed further on this project
    Thank you for your advice. If possible a detail suggestion will be very much appreciated.

converted rifles are never accurate to fulfill purpose of a long range rifle so such rifles should always be bought branded ones

converted rifles are never accurate to fulfill purpose of a long range rifle so such rifles should always be bought branded ones
    Thank you, and i agree with your statement

welcome sir

Quote Originally Posted by M.aamir View Post
    Dear pakgun members, i have been silent reader of this forum, and i gained alot of knowledge from this forum.
    I was in a process of building a .308 rifle, so in order to build a rifle i needed a machine gun barrel and a 7mm rifle. While in my search of .308 barrel i came across a mg3 barrel in POLYGONAl bore profile. At first i was very happy to buy it , but later on some one suggested me that the barrel i have is not succesful for converting a rifle.
    I need advice from fellow members, should i carry on further rifle building process or should i stop it.
    machine gun barrels are not meant for accuracy. they are durable with moderate accuracy.
    Keep Calm & Carry One

Expert Member
    I had 2 such rifles with MG3 barrels, one made by Aseel Khan & second by Asad Hazara. Both were hunting guns capable of 2 MOA with 118 Nato Ammo. It is the purpose of the rifle which decides how much accuracy wants from a rifle. This conversion is good for hunting rifles where 2MOA will do job, however if you plan to start precision shooting, then stay away from these rifles.

Agree! but the problems is from where? and how much they will cost? ..... bec. here, we have to pay more then double the prices.
    I well remember the findings and efforts of "Skeeter60" regarding conversion of PKM barrels (7.62X54r) into bolt action rifles.

http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.ph...ade-Rifle-Pics

And I think, the process is still going in the Tribal areas (DAK) and one of my friend's fellow shopkeeper has came across brand new barrel (Rs. 50k) in Karkhano for the project. Let's see what happens....

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
    Agree! but the problems is from where? and how much they will cost? ..... bec. here, we have to pay more then double the prices.
    I well remember the findings and efforts of "Skeeter60" regarding conversion of PKM barrels (7.62X54r) into bolt action rifles.

http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.ph...ade-Rifle-Pics

And I think, the process is still going in the Tribal areas (DAK) and one of my friend's fellow shopkeeper has came across brand new barrel (Rs. 50k) in Karkhano for the project. Let's see what happens....
    Brother, which caliber and what length is available for 50k

Name:  IMG-20170801-WA0013.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  58.0 KB
    The barrel in the picture i have purchased it and it came from mg3 machine gun

[ATTACH=CONFIG]
    The barrel in the picture i have purchased it and it came from mg3 machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    I had 2 such rifles with MG3 barrels, one made by Aseel Khan & second by Asad Hazara. Both were hunting guns capable of 2 MOA with 118 Nato Ammo. It is the purpose of the rifle which decides how much accuracy wants from a rifle. This conversion is good for hunting rifles where 2MOA will do job, however if you plan to start precision shooting, then stay away from these rifles.
    Name:  IMG-20170801-WA0013.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  58.0 KB. The barrel in the picture i have purchased it and it came from mg3 machine gun

The Barrel, I ref. is of 7.62x54r (PKM) M.G and don't know about the length, but they usually come in standard 24in. And this was the only chance, they don't come abundantly and be found NIB. How much did you pay for that MG3 bbl?

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
    The Barrel, I ref. is of 7.62x54r (PKM) M.G and don't know about the length, but they usually come in standard 24in. And this was the only chance, they don't come abundantly and be found NIB. How much did you pay for that MG3 bbl?
    42k, it has a polygonal profile and i think it is of german origin

Expert Member
    they will turn the barrel on lathe & cut new barrel shank for fitting in Bolt action receiver, very important step as here depth of chamber is settled & how bullet tip will engage with grooves is fixed. I have seen barrel with chambers cut so deep that bullet tip do not engage with groves hence result in shabby accuracy & vice versa where chamber is small & bullet tip goes deep into grooves & result in excessive chamber pressure & key holing as well.

Expert Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M.aamir View Post
    42k, it has a polygonal profile and i think it is of german origin
    its a good price if there is any life left in barrel or its not completely worn out.

Brother barrel is brand new

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    they will turn the barrel on lathe & cut new barrel shank for fitting in Bolt action receiver, very important step as here depth of chamber is settled & how bullet tip will engage with grooves is fixed. I have seen barrel with chambers cut so deep that bullet tip do not engage with groves hence result in shabby accuracy & vice versa where chamber is small & bullet tip goes deep into grooves & result in excessive chamber pressure & key holing as well.
    I was bit confused because some one said to me that mg3 barrel is not good enough for conversion comparing to m240 or m60 barrel