Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The First Proper Review of the NP42 Mini on Planet Earth

The First Proper Review of the NP42 Mini on Planet Earth

Episode 1: Journey to a Sub-Compact Pistol

Its been a while since I posted a proper review for any firearm on Pakguns, but I guess this was long awaited by many people all over the country.

In this thread, I am going to do a detailed review of the Np42 mini- also known as the CF98 mini or the CF07- the sub compact version of the NP42 / CF 98. The specs are as mentioned below

• Weight: 640 grams (with empty magazine)
    • Barrel: 90 mm (3.5 inches)
    • Action: SA/DA
    • Length: 160mm (6.3 inches)
    • Width: 32mm (1.26 inches)
    • Sight Radius: 115mm (4.52 inches)

This weapon hit the local markets somewhere in 2013-2014 and the rate those days in Karachi markets was around 55k. Those also happened to be the booming days of Turkish pistols and we were too busy with Sarsilmazs, Canikks and Girsans which were all available in 60k to 80k range. It was in those days when I got my hands on Kilinc 2000 and carried it 24/7 for almost every day and night for two years minimum. During this period I realized the actual issues related with the art of conceal carrying. I needed something smaller, essentially something with a smaller grip... its always the grip that protrudes, the long barrel length of the pistol can still be compromised on. Another important factor is the over all weight. So what do I do? I start exploring the affordable options in Sub-Compact pistols.

The first pistol that caught my attention for a bit was the Makarov chambered in 9x18 but then it was soon off my list due to the mentioned reasons:

• What we have commonly available is Baikal 443 which is a civilian version of the good old Makarov. The Mil Spec Makarov are very rare and difficult to find and once found, the originality is always in doubt since even the originals were very crudely manufactured
    • The rates for Mak or Baikal are un-reasonable in Karachi Market. The asking is usually in high 70's by most dealers
    • The ammo rates and lack of any vareity in the market. Paying 60 a pop for a 9x18 round just didn't feel right

With Makarov off the list, the Llama 32 ACP came on the list. The Complete 1911 design chambered in 32ACP, made is Spain, this pistol has been on my list for a while now. I initially wanted to buy the .22lr version of the same pistol for random plinking purposes when 22lr was available at Rs.18 a pop. Anyhow, I spotted some very nice Llama pistols in market and asking was arounf 40k to 45k (all with 2 mags of-course). The size of this pistols is so nice that it could easily fit even into the back pocket of my jeans. Many people vouch for the CZ83 but I never liked it due to its big bulky grip. I mean, it just kills the whole idea of a sub compact pistol. Llama is comparatively much slimmer as compared to the CZ83. I was very convinced on getting one but then I consulted a few senior friends and most of them were against the idea and specially to carry it as a conceal carry weapon. Some feedback that I got was:

• The 32ACP ammo just doesn't have that much of a stopping power
    • The llama pistols are really old and the company has shut down too. They are prone to developing problems and when they do, I will be stuck
    • The 32ACP ammo at 60-65 a pop is just not worth it

Then someone told me...Carry the biggest caliber possible in the smallest platform available that I can shoot accurately....

THe first part of that statement simply meant 9mm for me...45ACP is going at 200 a pop and just cant practice with it. The ammo is way too expensive. Plus with the kind of variety we have available for 9mms such as the standard SNB JHPs, Federal Hyro shoks, Critical Defense, Zombie Defense and Speer Gold Dots...It makes an ideal Self Defense Caliber. Also, the follow up shots with the 9mm are pretty manageable.

The second part being the smallest platform, well....thats what I had to dig into now...

I had not been unaware of the Taurus 709s, not when I was considering the Maks or the Llama...it just, with Taurus, there is always a chance of ending up with a lemon, leaving a sour taste in your mouth...The Taurus 709 is probably the smallest and lightest sub compact available in our local markets. But, again...it didn't take much time for me to get this pistol off my list due to the following reasons:
    - High probability of ending up with a lemon piece
    - Internationally there are many bad reviews over the internet
    - Plastic Sights :-|
    - Most importantly, the pistols retails for 140K these days in Karachi. Just over 2 years ago it was available in 70ish

Enter the NP42 Mini.... I had held this pistol many many times in my hand, there was something special about its ergonomics. From the very first time I held it, I wanted to buy it right there and then, there was one major problem.... This gun has absolutely no reviews at all, no reviews on Pakarms, no reviews on the internet, no reviews on YouTube or anywhere. Does it even work? how's the recoil like? Does it take in JHPs? What's the Accuracy Like? There was not one person I knew who had shot or experience the NP42 mini. However, I did know alot of people who were interested in buying the Np42 mini after someone actually checked out its performance on the range. So, finally, on Friday, the 8th of September 2017, I decided to take a leap of faith and get the NP42 mini. This is how it all started.

Next Episode: The Range Session Review of the Np42 Mini

Name:  IMG-20170908-WA0063.jpg
Views: 2339
Size:  84.0 KB
    "There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men."

Salam All,

Congrats on the new babe.... been thinking abt one too for quite some time. Looks very very interesting...

Waiting anxiously for the next part.

Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

Congrats brother,
    The compact version looks fabulous, I bet your jeans pocket can hold this one too
    waiting for the range report. (next episode) ... and yes dont forget the field strip really curious to see internal finishing of the beasty.

Congratulations and anxiously awaiting range report and your feedback .
    Instagram: Guns_Pakistan

Thanks all for well wishes..

@khan tanoli....Sir, I can even carry it in the pocket of my office formal pants, forget jeans... Have already done the internals review and some comparison as well specially in terms of size and weight.. will be sharing all soon...

Excellent initiative, Deathrow
    Anxiously awaiting the next episode. Needed to ask you for further clarity if NP42 Mini falls under Compact category or Sub-Compact? You have mentioned it as Sub-Compact but keeping in view that its with 3.5 inch barrel and considering the other dimensions, it seems like it is the Compact version. Thoughts?

Cheers
    “Bottom Line; If We’re Gonna Have Fun, There Better Be A Lot Of Ammo!”

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Actually, it is a sub compact wiht a 3.5 inch barrel. Compact would be C 100, and other weapons in that range. The NP 42 mini takes in only 7 rounds and in size more closely resembles the CZ rami or the Taurus 709. THis is a true sub compact with all the bells and whistles of the original. I.e rotating barrel, loaded chamber indicator, decocker, manual safety etc. But in a substantially smaller package. And the trigger on Deathrow's peice is as crisp as they come.

Many people start off wit full sized weapons for CC. But as time passes lugging that big and heavy piece of metal tends to get onerous, at best. And I read read once that the smallest .25 ultra sub compact with you would be a whole lot better than the combat customised 1911 .45 acp sitting in the bed room drawer when you really need it.

For CC you do no need a bit and flashy gun, that you can hit the eye of a bull from 50 yards. Just something that you have "with you" when the going gets tough.

Throw in potent 9x19 ammo and all the features of the full sized original and the NP comes out a winner.

What makes it a true sub compact IMHO is its single stack. Big thick grips will protrude. Regardless of how small the barrel is. And the protrusion 'will' print. That is just the way it is. A teeny tiny single stack does not do so. In fact, I could have sworn Deathrow was unarmed when he came calling.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Blog Entries
    Congrats Deathrow bro; now take a leap to the range asap we all are as exited as yourself to see how it performs.
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.

Member Extraordinaire ajmal virk's Avatar
    Death Row waiting range report do that as you are used to

Congratulations bro.we are waiting for full review,also let us know how it fells in the pocket with out holster.

Congrats bro, would you please share the price?

NP 42 Mini range report

Quote Originally Posted by Deathrow View Post
    Episode 1: Journey to a Sub-Compact Pistol

Its been a while since I posted a proper review for any firearm on Pakguns, but I guess this was long awaited by many people all over the country.

In this thread, I am going to do a detailed review of the Np42 mini- also known as the CF98 mini or the CF07- the sub compact version of the NP42 / CF 98. The specs are as mentioned below

• Weight: 640 grams (with empty magazine)
    • Barrel: 90 mm (3.5 inches)
    • Action: SA/DA
    • Length: 160mm (6.3 inches)
    • Width: 32mm (1.26 inches)
    • Sight Radius: 115mm (4.52 inches)

This weapon hit the local markets somewhere in 2013-2014 and the rate those days in Karachi markets was around 55k. Those also happened to be the booming days of Turkish pistols and we were too busy with Sarsilmazs, Canikks and Girsans which were all available in 60k to 80k range. It was in those days when I got my hands on Kilinc 2000 and carried it 24/7 for almost every day and night for two years minimum. During this period I realized the actual issues related with the art of conceal carrying. I needed something smaller, essentially something with a smaller grip... its always the grip that protrudes, the long barrel length of the pistol can still be compromised on. Another important factor is the over all weight. So what do I do? I start exploring the affordable options in Sub-Compact pistols.

The first pistol that caught my attention for a bit was the Makarov chambered in 9x18 but then it was soon off my list due to the mentioned reasons:

• What we have commonly available is Baikal 443 which is a civilian version of the good old Makarov. The Mil Spec Makarov are very rare and difficult to find and once found, the originality is always in doubt since even the originals were very crudely manufactured
    • The rates for Mak or Baikal are un-reasonable in Karachi Market. The asking is usually in high 70's by most dealers
    • The ammo rates and lack of any vareity in the market. Paying 60 a pop for a 9x18 round just didn't feel right

With Makarov off the list, the Llama 32 ACP came on the list. The Complete 1911 design chambered in 32ACP, made is Spain, this pistol has been on my list for a while now. I initially wanted to buy the .22lr version of the same pistol for random plinking purposes when 22lr was available at Rs.18 a pop. Anyhow, I spotted some very nice Llama pistols in market and asking was arounf 40k to 45k (all with 2 mags of-course). The size of this pistols is so nice that it could easily fit even into the back pocket of my jeans. Many people vouch for the CZ83 but I never liked it due to its big bulky grip. I mean, it just kills the whole idea of a sub compact pistol. Llama is comparatively much slimmer as compared to the CZ83. I was very convinced on getting one but then I consulted a few senior friends and most of them were against the idea and specially to carry it as a conceal carry weapon. Some feedback that I got was:

• The 32ACP ammo just doesn't have that much of a stopping power
    • The llama pistols are really old and the company has shut down too. They are prone to developing problems and when they do, I will be stuck
    • The 32ACP ammo at 60-65 a pop is just not worth it

Then someone told me...Carry the biggest caliber possible in the smallest platform available that I can shoot accurately....

THe first part of that statement simply meant 9mm for me...45ACP is going at 200 a pop and just cant practice with it. The ammo is way too expensive. Plus with the kind of variety we have available for 9mms such as the standard SNB JHPs, Federal Hyro shoks, Critical Defense, Zombie Defense and Speer Gold Dots...It makes an ideal Self Defense Caliber. Also, the follow up shots with the 9mm are pretty manageable.

The second part being the smallest platform, well....thats what I had to dig into now...

I had not been unaware of the Taurus 709s, not when I was considering the Maks or the Llama...it just, with Taurus, there is always a chance of ending up with a lemon, leaving a sour taste in your mouth...The Taurus 709 is probably the smallest and lightest sub compact available in our local markets. But, again...it didn't take much time for me to get this pistol off my list due to the following reasons:
    - High probability of ending up with a lemon piece
    - Internationally there are many bad reviews over the internet
    - Plastic Sights :-|
    - Most importantly, the pistols retails for 140K these days in Karachi. Just over 2 years ago it was available in 70ish

Enter the NP42 Mini.... I had held this pistol many many times in my hand, there was something special about its ergonomics. From the very first time I held it, I wanted to buy it right there and then, there was one major problem.... This gun has absolutely no reviews at all, no reviews on Pakarms, no reviews on the internet, no reviews on YouTube or anywhere. Does it even work? how's the recoil like? Does it take in JHPs? What's the Accuracy Like? There was not one person I knew who had shot or experience the NP42 mini. However, I did know alot of people who were interested in buying the Np42 mini after someone actually checked out its performance on the range. So, finally, on Friday, the 8th of September 2017, I decided to take a leap of faith and get the NP42 mini. This is how it all started.

Next Episode: The Range Session Review of the Np42 Mini

Name:  IMG-20170908-WA0063.jpg
Views: 2339
Size:  84.0 KB
    may congratulations on purchase. Outstanding review so far. Cannot wait for the next episode. Kindly make it quick. you made it so interesting that I want to purchase one as well. It really looks good.eagerly waiting bro!
    When the .45 comes out, All the Bullshit Stops!

Quote Originally Posted by Denovo87 View Post
    Congrats Deathrow bro; now take a leap to the range asap we all are as exited as yourself to see how it performs.
    Thanks Denovo... the leap of faith at the range has already happened, just not finding the time since I am on official tour and continuously traveling.. Even right now am at the restaurant having lunch so updating....I am going to try my level best to share a detailed review of range session by tonight

Apologies for keeping everyone waiting...

FA226...really feel great while carrying, can bend over very easily, zero compromise in mobility.

FA25...In Karachi they are asking for 75k for this...on negotiation if you are able to get it for 65ish, that's a good rate...

Virk... Will do soon Insha Allah.

@Deathrow Congratulations sir,first the B&B TT and now NP 42 mini you are on a role sir. I was actually inspired to buy the B&B TT after you and @ED sir did a review.
    630 grams is pretty reasonable considering even an empty TT weights more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by arslanbutt0101 View Post
    @Deathrow Congratulations sir,first the B&B TT and now NP 42 mini you are on a role sir. I was actually inspired to buy the B&B TT after you and @ED sir did a review.
    630 grams is pretty reasonable considering even an empty TT weights more than that.
    Thanks Arsalan... I think after this, I just might do a complete review of the BnB as well... It deserves one

Episode 2: The Range Session Review of the Np42 Mini

Range Session with the NP42-mini... I have so much planned with this little sub-compact with stuff to try at the range but to start off with, I wanted to perform the below mentioned tests:

- Shoot a group of 20 shots from 15 meters to see the accuracy and recoil of the weapon
    - Shoot POF Ammo, China Red Box and SnB JHP ammo to see if the weapon is ammo sensitive
    - Rapid fire from both magazines to check out the functionality and reliability of both magazines
    - Rapid fire 7 shots in a IDPA target from 5 yards
    - Rapid fire 7 shots with single hand in a IDPA target from 5 yards to see how the recoil feels like

Shoot a group of 20 shots from 15 meters to see the accuracy and recoil of the weapon

I shot 20 rounds from a distance of 15 meters on a standard precision shooting target. Normally I would shoot 4 strings of 5 shots making it 20 shots in total, following the precision shooting tournament format but since I wanted to check out the reliability and functionality of the weapon as well, I took 20 shots in 3 strings and those being 1st String 7 shots, 2nd String 7 shots and 3rd string 6 shots.

Taking precision shooting shots from 15 meters, I didn't notice the recoil being something extra ordinary. I did feel the gun jump just a bit in comparison to the Kilinc 2000 all steel pistol but I guess the major chunk of the recoil was managed due to the rotating barrel mechanism of the pistol. Accuracy wise, well this pistol amazed me in terms of accuracy. I was aiming for dead center but I guess I made some mistake in sight picture of the first 2 strings so my shots were landing slightly towards the left. In 3rd string they all landed dead center. Below are pictures of a target in which I managed 158/200 but this was without any adjustment in POA to adjust the POI. Point-being, the NP42 did cross my expectations in terms of accuracy and I believe that at 15 meters, I can easily shoot in 180s / 200 in a 20 shot string next time. The pistol doesn't jump much at all and the accuracy is great. The trigger break in single action is pretty crisp, in double action it feels exactly like the regular NP42. I was shooting on a target with fresh wooden base so I managed to grab a picture of the group as well. What I would suggest everyone to notice is the group and not the score. I think its a damn accurate pistol regardless of it being a sub compact.

Name:  20170909_125335.jpg
Views: 2080
Size:  70.5 KB
    20 shot group of NP 4P42-mini from 15 meters

Name:  20170909_125948.jpg
Views: 2046
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  20170909_130002.jpg
Views: 2059
Size:  98.0 KB

Name:  20170909_125951.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  92.8 KB
    20 shot group of NP 4P42-mini (back board)

Shoot POF Ammo, China Red Box and SnB JHP ammo to see if the weapon is ammo sensitive
    We shot POF ammo mostly but we also tried a few shots of the China red box ammo. Further we also shot 3 rounds of SnB JHPs on rapid fire. We shot a total of around 50 rounds without any sort of hiccups. The Np42 ate whatever we fed it and gave no FTE and FTF issues. So far, its turning out to be as reliable as they get. So I guess its safe to carry POF, China Red Box or S&B JHPs on the NP42-mini.

Rapid fire from both magazines to check out the functionality and reliability of both magazines
    Did so from both the magazines without any issues

IDPA Target (for reference)
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  4.6 KB

Rapid fire 7 shots in a IDPA target from 5 yards

All shots landed in center chest (zone 0) except for one shot which landed in zone +1, about an inch away from zone 0

Rapid fire 7 shots with single hand in a IDPA target from 5 yards to see how the recoil feels like
    3 shots landed center chest in Zone 0 and 2 shots landed in zone +1, the felt recoil was pretty manageable.

I should have taken pictures of the IDPA target too but those I missed.

I also took a shot from 25 meters and it landed dead center but slightly high. Next time I go to the range, I am going to do a group at 25 meters as well just to check out the performance even though it makes no sense shooting a sub-compact at 25 meters. But, I wana do it just for the heck of it.

So the conclusion is, the NP42-mini has turned out to be quite accurate, so far reliable with all sorts of ammo we fed it and the recoil is pretty manageable (thanks to the rotating barrel mechanism I guess)

Thats all to share from the current range session

Next Episode: Internals and Size Comparison

Exellent review deathrow and MA SHA ALLAH great shooting brother ... really impressed by the results 158/200 is really a great score with sub-compact ... by seeking the group looks like dead center to me not more than a 5-6inch group, not a single round is off the target thats what I would say.
    Amazing shooting brother.
    Last edited by khan tanoli; 13-09-2017 at 04:22 AM.

@deathrow
    Very nice detailed review and excellent grouping. All center mass shots. What more could one ask for in a sub compact . Also being a single stack it's going to be super concealable and price is reasonable as well. Probably Best Buy in today's market .
    Instagram: Guns_Pakistan

MashaAllah great shooting bro.

Blog Entries
    Great range review and very practical way to test the gun before carrying it for the unseen. Waisay Deathrow bro you really made me missing 'The Rami' I once had but sold in pursuit of long guns
    Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others.