Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Calibre Rifle: Is it still in?

7mm Calibre Rifle: Is it still in?

Salam members, due to licensing ease I desire to buy a 7mm rifle. Long range shooting and hunting is the objective. However, some of friends are suggesting that its an obsolete calibre and rather call it a wastage of money. As much as i wanna get a 308, the licencing issue is stopping me. Any advice on is 7mm obsolete or is it still relevant?

Thanks
    When the .45 comes out, All the Bullshit Stops!

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AYK View Post
    Salam members, due to licensing ease I desire to buy a 7mm rifle. Long range shooting and hunting is the objective. However, some of friends are suggesting that its an obsolete calibre and rather call it a wastage of money. As much as i wanna get a 308, the licencing issue is stopping me. Any advice on is 7mm obsolete or is it still relevant?

Thanks
    It depends on what you want to do with it sir. 7mm B.A rifles are easily and abundantly available. Which is a great advantage. Licensing issues as you mentioned are also easy to deal with. The prices of many 7mm rifles are markedly lower than their other big bore B.A rifle counterparts. Especially the .308

However, ammo is pretty expensive, with a typical 7mm SnB round going for as high as 500 a pop in Karachi. Of course the local version "Lellior and Balliot" is also available as well (or used to be at any rate) at 75 a pop. However, I would not advise you to try it if your like your face the way it is.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Member Extraordinaire ajmal virk's Avatar
    recently three of my friends bought 7mm rifles Parker&Hale x2 and a BRNO yes thee are still in

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    It depends on what you want to do with it sir. 7mm B.A rifles are easily and abundantly available. Which is a great advantage. Licensing issues as you mentioned are also easy to deal with. The prices of many 7mm rifles are markedly lower than their other big bore B.A rifle counterparts. Especially the .308

However, ammo is pretty expensive, with a typical 7mm SnB round going for as high as 500 a pop in Karachi. Of course the local version "Lellior and Balliot" is also available as well (or used to be at any rate) at 75 a pop. However, I would not advise you to try it if your like your face the way it is.
    Thanks Bro. Your suugestions are very much on the dot. Regarding ammo, in peshawar swedish rds you can get for 280 a pop. Which keeping my use of big hunting and long range shooting in perspective is affordable. Rifles two options are available- Parker Hale and BSA. Same price. Both equally good

Thanks Bro. Your suugestions are very much on the dot. Regarding ammo, in peshawar swedish rds you can get for 280 a pop. Which keeping my use of big hunting and long range shooting in perspective is affordable. Rifles two options are available- Parker Hale and BSA. Same price. Both equally good
    Also Zastava from the former Yugoslavia. Some of their used peices used to go under 50k if I remember correctly. 280 for a European round is very very good indeed. Also Dossal assembled Parker hales 7mm rifles are less expensive than their imported parker hale counterparts
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Regarding Dossal, a few superb CZ rifles are available but the barrel assembly does not rest properly on the locally made stocks. otherwise price is afforadable (around 100 to 120k).

Regarding Dossal, a few superb CZ rifles are available but the barrel assembly does not rest properly on the locally made stocks. otherwise price is afforadable (around 100 to 120k).
    How about a ful dosal including the barrel as well.

Salam All,
    AYK bro, hope you are well. Can you please share what you are planning on hunting with the rifle? And what abt target shooting, where will you shoot and what will the range distance be??? Cause that might help in giving you suggestions.

Actually, our hobby, or any hobby for that matter, has no limitations, but in all honesty I dont think there is any game in pakistan that might need anything larger than the 7mm. So please do not worry abt the round being out of fashion or obsolete.

Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamranwali View Post
    Salam All,
    AYK bro, hope you are well. Can you please share what you are planning on hunting with the rifle? And what abt target shooting, where will you shoot and what will the range distance be??? Cause that might help in giving you suggestions.

Actually, our hobby, or any hobby for that matter, has no limitations, but in all honesty I dont think there is any game in pakistan that might need anything larger than the 7mm. So please do not worry abt the round being out of fashion or obsolete.

Regards.
    Dear Kamran Wali saheb, Wasalam

thank you for the detailed query. With proper licensing and permits (hunting dept guys can relax now), I plan to hunt Ibex, & Uriel and off course wild boars ( I use 12 guage as well but after 50mtr the slugs loose the speed). For target practice, we have FC firing range (800mtr to 1000mtr ) in our area so I plan to utilize that (off course with the blessings of FC).

Hope now you can better advise.

regards

Haven't seen those. Hmm need to check those in PEW. Whats your advice on that? please

Haven't seen those. Hmm need to check those in PEW. Whats your advice on that? please
    A Dossal assembled Parker Hale, to the best of my knowledge consists of the same parts as a normal parker hale. (barring the stock that is manufactured here if I am not mistaken). Logically it should straight as well as an imported one. Unfortunately, almost all Dossals are sold as genuine parker hales. You have to take it apart and the barrel may be marked with the Dossal label directly beneath the barrel where it is covered by the furniture

Salam All,
    Sorry for the late reply AYK Bro.

Ok, so I think that your first priority should be license, as in what calibre license can you get. Then you need to concentrate on rifle availability and price, and then ammo price.

As far as my limited knowledge goes, the 7mm is quite capable of taking the game you want to shoot. The 308 is also an option, but dont know abt license or ammo price.

The venerable 30-06 will also do, but I know that the ammo is pretttty expensive.

Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

Expert Member
    Dear Kamran Wali saheb, Wasalam

thank you for the detailed query. With proper licensing and permits (hunting dept guys can relax now), I plan to hunt Ibex, & Uriel and off course wild boars ( I use 12 guage as well but after 50mtr the slugs loose the speed). For target practice, we have FC firing range (800mtr to 1000mtr ) in our area so I plan to utilize that (off course with the blessings of FC).

Hope now you can better advise.

regards
    For your prescribed use, 7MM will do the job, as Urial & IBEX are usually shoot at more than 400 yards,7mm has to be compensated for drop. But with a good rifle & scope combo, you can master the art. Thousands of these animals were shot by 7mm before the fancy calibers reach here.
    7mm rifles are cheap & ammo is expensive further you can get license easily. On the other hand 308 rifles are expensive & POF ammo is cheap but POF ammo will not work for IBEX hunt. I will suggest you to buy a quality 7mm rifle new/used & practice real good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmal virk View Post
    recently three of my friends bought 7mm rifles Parker&Hale x2 and a BRNO yes thee are still in
    And for how much dear? I am also interested in the bolt action, if it's new.... The ammo is also rear but lic. can be issued from K.P.

I been reading this thread,, but I just need to know if you all are talking about the mauser 7X57, or 7mm remington magnum???
    ALL Power is Inherent in the People, It is Their RIGHT and DUTY to be at ALL Times ARMED!!! Thomas Jefferson

Expert Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245adefender View Post
    I been reading this thread,, but I just need to know if you all are talking about the mauser 7X57, or 7mm remington magnum???
    I was referring to 7x57. 7mag is a different animal altogether

Quote Originally Posted by 1245adefender View Post
    Very interesting indeed...in fact I have not seen this cal. definition on any lic. too. The issuer Authority only writes "7mm" in Rifle category.

Many thanks for an excellent insight sir. Superb. I sure will keep this in perspective.

Many thanks. You have truly expressed my feelings. I have already initiated the process to go for 7mm. Will share details once i lay my hands on the animal.

Khalil sb, a new Parker Hale ( atleast claimed by the seller) will cost around 100 to 110k. A used will cost around 70k. A Dossal CZ will cost 90k( new).