Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CANIK P120; Wannabe Piranha ? ? ?

CANIK P120; Wannabe Piranha ? ? ?

Owing to few very extraordinary reviews by senior PG members, about 3 years back the craze for owning a Canik Piranha was off the roof; well if no body else, at least for me it was. But then at that time, the price of a CZ was in the range of 100K and the Piranha, if one could find it NIB, also soared at that price and that was why I never took the leap to get me one. Now I dont know if my hesitance proved to be prudent or not but I ended up buying a Canik P120. Around one and half year back when I showed it to brother Ameer (who happens to own a Piranha) on a shooting range, I said, "Roor, this is the successor to your Piranha" and I still remember his swift, historical and witty reply when he said, "Successor, my a**; its just a Wannabe Piranha". hahhahaha. It still cracks me up when I remember his words. That was the moment when I though that if nothing else, a pictorial comparison between the Piranha and P120 is a must.
    So here I am with the pics, BUT, first some specs and details. The Piranha in the following photographs belongs to brother Ameer and the P120 to Yours' Truly. According to Ameer, Piranha has fired around 300 rounds and if I reckon correctly, the same has been shot through the P120.
    Piranha P120
    Length (Inches) 8.18 8.18
    Height (Inches) 5.63 5.67
    Width (Inches) 1.38 1.41
    Barrel Length (Inches) 4.72 4.72
    Weight (gms) 850 1175
    Magazine Capacity 15+1 17+1
    Frame Alloy Steel
    Action DA/SA DA/SA
    Sights 3 Dot (Large) Tritium 3 Dot (Small)

BARREL:
    Top / Right: Piranha
    Bottom / Left: P120

A very significant difference can be seen in the length of the Feeding Ramp. The Piranha has a lengthier ramp which I assume is a good thing when it comes to chambering the HPs. Unlike me, Ameer has shot HPs through the Piranha and faced no issue with feeding and I have shot only FMJs with P120.

“Bottom Line; If We’re Gonna Have Fun, There Better Be A Lot Of Ammo!”

SLIDE:
    Other than the cosmetic design differences, from dimensional point of view both the slides are the same.
    (Enlarged pics can be seen by clicking the thumbnails)

Top : Piranha
    Bottom : P120

The tapering top of the slide of P120 towards its muzzle end is what is significantly different from Piranha.

Instead of a Yellowish dot on the slide for disassembly alignment marking on Piranha, there is a cut on P120. I guess with this change, Canik was trying to cut short its Colour Cost. lolz

The extractor may seem different but in fact it is not. Its just the camera angle due to which one looks lengthier than the other.

The front and rear slide serrations on Piranha are narrower.
    Last edited by Jibz; 08-09-2017 at 11:13 AM.

SIGHTS:
    The sights on Piranha are Tritium and large while on P120 they are simple 3 Dot (small size). Both have the provision to be modified by installing after market adjustable sights.

Right: Piranha
    Left : P120

The rear sights of the Piranha are very minutely taller than those of P120.

In Piranha, the front sight is also slightly higher. In both handguns the front sights are slid in from the muzzle end of the slide and then fixed with a spring dowel pin.

FRAME & GRIPS:

Top / Right: Piranha
    Bottom / Left: P120

The frame of Piranha is made out of Alloy hence only weighs 850 gms. On the other hand the frame of P120 is made from Steel and is 325 gms heavier.

The markings on right side of the frame are similar in both the handguns. However, the grips on Piranha are slightly higher than those on P120.

Couldnt find any difference in the shape of internals i.e. trigger or hammer mechanism etc.

Due to the somewhat bulging design of the center of the grips on P120, they seem ignoreably large. The rear serrations on both the grips of the handguns are same. The checkering on P120 grips is a lot more aggressive than that of Piranha.

Last edited by Jibz; 08-09-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Top / Right : Piranha
    Bottom / Left : P120

Hammer design is same however the beaver tail on Piranha is a little bit beefier.

Unlike the P120, which has 3 recoil grooves on its accessory rail, the Piranha has only 2.

There is an uneven and somewhat strange cut in the internal bay of the frame of P120 where the recoil spring and guide rod are seated. This "uneven" cut is not there in Piranha.

The irremovable/fixed barrel bushing is of the same size on both the handguns.
    Last edited by Jibz; 08-09-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Bro p120 is more sexey then piranha.i have 3 caniks and one of them is a brother to piranha and p120 its the stingray.i would love to have a p120 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FA226 View Post
    Bro p120 is more sexey then piranha.i have 3 caniks and one of them is a brother to piranha and p120 its the stingray.i would love to have a p120 as well.
    @ Ameer
    You hear that, Piranha Lover. lolz

Many thanks FA226 dear.

Top: Piranha
    Bottom: P120

And the rest of the parts. . .

Salam All,
    Many many congrats jibz bro. Good comparo between the siblings

FA226 bro.....completely agreed.....much much sexier than the pirhana. This has more curves, and dare I say in ALL the right places the pirhana almost seems blant and boxier....

On a serious note, I think that even though the feed ramp seems shorter, the angle is less steeper than the one on the pirhana, which would make it better to feed hollowpoints. Just my 2 cents.

A while ago when everyone was raving abt the pirhana, I had a few reservations.....one the alloy frame. The other one, even though was only cosmetic but was still a turn off, was those dreaded yellow dots . This gun is a direct competitor to the cz shadow, Its all steel.....
    And I think I am in love.......AGAIN!!!!

Congrats once again jibz bro.....may it serve you well...

Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

Member Extraordinaire ajmal virk's Avatar
    I also own Prianha and i still feel its more sexier than P120 i have fired 450 rounds this month only and bad shooter like me hits around target sometimes dead shots and i love it

You are on of the few people keeping the forum alive. it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to give this sorta detailed analysis. Absolutely splendid.
    thought you didn't mention how Pain in the A*** it is to rack the slides
    Communist until you get rich; Feminist until you get married; Atheist until the airplane starts falling.

Ajmal bhai.....hope you r well....

Sir I think the p120 will be as accurate as the pirhana, if not more due to the steel frame's added weight.

And sexy is an individual opinion..... you own the pirhana, so your opinion might jes be a lil biased
    Just kidding bro.....

But seriously though, since I own neither, I think I'll probably go for the P120.
    Or maybe we can take a poll....

Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

@jibz
    Excellent review and comparison. Professionally done . I wasn't too familiar with these two pistols till I read this review .

Member Extraordinaire ajmal virk's Avatar
    i do not believe in Polls actually

Quote Originally Posted by Kamranwali View Post
    Salam All,
    Many many congrats jibz bro. Good comparo between the siblings
    On a serious note, I think that even though the feed ramp seems shorter, the angle is less steeper than the one on the pirhana, which would make it better to feed hollowpoints. Just my 2 cents.
    ..............Regards.
    Thank you Kamran dear. As I mentioned earlier that I have yet to shoot HPs with P120 so cant comment for sure. However, your point regarding the angle of the feed ramp makes a lot of sense. I believe it should not cause a hindrance in any way. InshAllah.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmal virk View Post
    I also own Prianha and i still feel its more sexier than P120 i have fired 450 rounds this month only and bad shooter like me hits around target sometimes dead shots and i love it
    Once again many congrats AV dear. And yes, there is no second thought wrt the accuracy of Piranha. Reference to several pictures of the targets as well as the videos posted by few, it has proven its worth to many PG members.

Quote Originally Posted by shahroze View Post
    You are on of the few people keeping the forum alive. it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to give this sorta detailed analysis. Absolutely splendid.
    thought you didn't mention how Pain in the A*** it is to rack the slides
    Very obliged for your kind words, Shahroze dear. My input at PG is a meager effort to keep this hobby and passion alive for myself and other like minded people. Regarding the P-I-A effort required to rack the slide, hahah, I guess I have gotten used to the low profile slides of CZ based handguns with my CZ-97B.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    @jibz
    Excellent review and comparison. Professionally done . I wasn't too familiar with these two pistols till I read this review .
    Most manana, Stealth roor.

Cheers

Thanks Jibz for many things:

Thanks for being the first and last hope at Peshawar, regarding guns n info. Always there

Thanks for bringing me back to PG

Thanks for the great write-up about the two true turkish beauties, Although I still defend my words about 'wanna be piranha'

Discarding piranha and introducing P120 by Canik, there must be something good about this gun. However i would like to see this P120 vs Piranha vs CZ Tactical at range.

Having said all these, i have yet to see an accurate gun than CZ-97. God, it hits at 100M
    Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun.

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Ahhh.. After a long time I really really good review. I thought the art had died out with the Indus valley civilization.
    I remember persuading Death row to refrain from an L120 and opt for the Klinick 2000.

While he loves the gun, I think the L120 may have served him well as well.

This is probably the most detailed review these two weapons have 'ever' been subjected to.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Wow Jibz. That's was a heck of a review. It's difficult to compare as they almost look similar. But I am impressed to see how minutely you higlighted their differneces. Indeed one has to be master of the art for such write-up. Thank you very much for sharing knowledge with us. Stay blessed.
    Two most important days in your life:
    The day you were BORN & The day you find out WHY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ameer View Post
    Thanks Jibz for many things:

Thanks for being the first and last hope at Peshawar, regarding guns n info. Always there

Thanks for bringing me back to PG

Thanks for the great write-up about the two true turkish beauties, Although I still defend my words about 'wanna be piranha'

Discarding piranha and introducing P120 by Canik, there must be something good about this gun. However i would like to see this P120 vs Piranha vs CZ Tactical at range.

Having said all these, i have yet to see an accurate gun than CZ-97. God, it hits at 100M
    Salams all!

So nice to see some of the ole boys together here .....

First of all....thanks Jibz for both awakening some of the sleeping shots here, as well as for a wonderful review done!

I had long ago aspired for the 120 if you remember......I had issues with the superficial, not to the depth going rail grooves of the P120, as if you remember I had a Shadow carbine kit handy those days....

Anyhow...trigger unit apart, both guns may be 90 percent of original Shadow..

Rest both are beautiful pieces, the possession value of both having risen sharply now that even a CZ Rami, which many of us sold and discarded is hovering 250+, if available.....Shadow hitting 275 to 325K, that too for used ones..

It IS no doubts clony days now and if one can afford, taking a Canik these days will prove a good investment in the longer run, since CZ's are becoming dreamy things with each passing day..

Reason for quoting Ameer bhai' s post is that how the heck Dr. Sahib includes TS along with these two for comparison ! Lol!

Between these two I think only shooter error will be the difference, while the heavier one may have some bits of leverage over the other....

Regards.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Salams all!

Reason for quoting Ameer bhai' s post is that how the heck Dr. Sahib includes TS along with these two for comparison ! Lol!

Between these two I think only shooter error will be the difference, while the heavier one may have some bits of leverage over the other....

Regards.
    Aoa Sir, Good to see you after a real long time

I was mentioning P01 tactical actually

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ameer View Post
    Aoa Sir, Good to see you after a real long time

I was mentioning P01 tactical actually
    Wasalaams.....thanks...
    And nice to interact with you too Sir jee...after very long indeed..

Dr. Sahib....do not post while writing out prescriptions at office....you still mean to say SP-01, not tactical PO-1....lolzzz!
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage, than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

"Take your time and deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking, and go in. "

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Wasalaams.....thanks...
    And nice to interact with you too Sir jee...after very long indeed..

Dr. Sahib....do not post while writing out prescriptions at office....you still mean to say SP-01, not tactical PO-1....lolzzz!
    i did actually mean SP01 ............