Thread: My COLT Derringer (Third Model)

My COLT Derringer (Third Model)

Greetings to all.

Having grown up watching spaghetti westerns I developed a fondness for the wild west era at an early age, especially for the single action revolvers used in those times. Here I have an iconic gun which was favored by Gamblers of that era. The Colt Third Model Derringer (THUER MODEL) .41RF

It is single shot, side pivoting 2 1/2in. barrel , blued barrel , bronze frame , spur trigger. This model was manufactured by Colt during 1875 / 1880 era.

The case is referred to as a “ gamblers case”. During the 1850’s professional gamblers carried these cases. In these cases were kept the tools of the trade such as poker winnings, dice for craps, money, playing cards, cathouse tokens and most important of all , small arms known collectively as Derringers. Because of their small size derringers were also the favored tool of assassins of that era.

The playing cards I have are an exact reproduction of the Highlanders deck produced by Lewis I. Cohen from 1832 till 1871. These cards were used in cathouses and by gamblers during the wild west era. Also pictured are ivory dice and cathouse tokens .

This is the only antique derringer I have come across so far and don’t know of any other. If any members have any information regarding availability of derringer’s then I would request them to kindly share.

Last edited by Stealth; 31-08-2017 at 08:54 PM.

WOW just wow! Brother this is one of the best antique I've saw so far and in such finest condition ... MA SHA ALLAH ....
    The trigger looks so amazing on this beauty, looks to me like 1lb pull or even no pull just like touch screen , What a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by khan tanoli View Post
    WOW just wow! Brother this is one of the best antique I've saw so far and in such finest condition ... MA SHA ALLAH ....
    The trigger looks so amazing on this beauty, looks to me like 1lb pull or even no pull just like touch screen , What a beauty.
    Thank you khan tanoli , even though it seems that the spur trigger would have no pull weight , it surprisingly does offer some resistance around 3lbs or so but hardly any pre or post travel just a crisp break.

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    I.. am speechless.. Since I practically live and breathe westerns... Speechless is what I am.

(as in "eyes-popping-out-of-my-head speechless)
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    I.. am speechless.. Since I practically live and breathe westerns... Speechless is what I am.

(as in "eyes-popping-out-of-my-head speechless)
    Lol...All of us gun enthusiasts have such reactions from time to time

@ Stealth
    MashAllah, Roor its a pretty rare collectible in our vicinity. I received mine from my Grand Uncle in the following condition. It was darn beat up. (The 9mm round is for Size comparison)

After a thorough cleaning and buffing, the result was as under.

And Yes the trigger on this one is a bit stiff, around 5 lbs or so. Also, I am surprised to see that yours came with all the bells and whistles. Beautiful. Take very good care of it.
    Cheers
    “Bottom Line; If We’re Gonna Have Fun, There Better Be A Lot Of Ammo!”

@ jibz
    Thank you for your compliments and a beautiful piece you have there...very nicely restored. Is the Caliber .41 ? I agree it's very rare these days to come across such guns. The bells and whistles I painstakingly sourced from abroad .

Thanks Dear. Yes its a .41 Rimfire. (Pictured below with the few from my cartridge collection).

Indeed, the procurement of the accessories must have been a pain in neck, but I assure you, its worth every penny spent and calorie burnt.
    Cheers

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    That is a very beautifully restored weapons Jibz.

By the way, the Kynoch .380 acp on the extreme right. I has ring around it. Now I had some Kynoch .32 short ammo once. It also had the same ring while other .32 short ammo did not. ANy idea, why it is there?
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Thank you ED.
    Regarding the ring around the Kynoch rounds, I am not completely sure but I assume that this crimping of the shell may be their brand's trademark. By the way I didnt see this ring on other Kynoch rifle cartridges that I have. Additionally, I am pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the performance of a round etc.

Regards