Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Zol 9mm HP: A review

Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MK47 View Post
    Thanks. So from what I gathered Zololo and Zol are two different names/ ammo?

I have not tried or seen it yet and was under the impression both were the names of same ammo but just referred to differently.

Anyway looking at you guys discussion n reviews on it I am kinda curious or in other words interested to try it when i get back but not in my main carry handgun. Perhaps thinking of getting a coupla of local 9mm handguns for some fun with local ammo like Zol or Zololo etc on my return to Pak.

Even though after a few bad experiences in past with local made weapons I had decided not to buy local pistols many years ago but recently seeing a few videos of Moon Star (Islamuddin) Berreta n Glocks they dont seem to bad? So thought will risk it at 18K n 27K just for some fun with cheap ammo, as its not a huge amount to gamble.

Also which ammo Zol/ Zololo etc would u recommend?

Thanks
    I have only seen Zololo hollow cavity as yet. They performed brilliantly in a local Zafar Alam Beretta 92 fs copy we purchased the other day. Gave us combat accuracy at the range. The same Beretta copy was constantly going out of battery with POF 1z ammo (The old green box stock) But did not give a single misfire of any sort whatsoever with Zololo hollow cavity, per se.

The chrony stated that POF 1 z (green box) is around 1095 and the Zol is 1150 fps. I guess the extra 60 fps did the trick.

In all the rounds I have fired so far I have had only 3 or 4 FTF (failure to fire) and zero out of battery or FTE (failure to extract issues). Something I cannot say about any ammo other than China red box. At least in my NP 42
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    Oh nooo.. This was the only amo Karachi dealers had ordered from Peshawar and are simply not interested in anything else.

I have been trying to get them to import other Zol (or zolololololo) products but to no avail. They were selling them as JHPs at high premiums therefore it made financial sense for them to order em. Alas, that hope is now long gone.
    If the demand is there then manufacturer will keep producing the jhps. The JHPs retail for Rs30 at Factory.
    YouTube: Stealth Tactical Instagram:Guns_Pakistan

Thanks. So from what I gathered Zololo and Zol are two different names/ ammo?

I have not tried or seen it yet and was under the impression both were the names of same ammo but just referred to differently.

Anyway looking at you guys discussion n reviews on it I am kinda curious or in other words interested to try it when i get back but not in my main carry handgun. Perhaps thinking of getting a coupla of local 9mm handguns for some fun with local ammo like Zol or Zololo etc on my return to Pak.

Even though after a few bad experiences in past with local made weapons I had decided not to buy local pistols many years ago but recently seeing a few videos of Moon Star (Islamuddin) Berreta n Glocks they dont seem to bad? So thought will risk it at 18K n 27K just for some fun with cheap ammo, as its not a huge amount to gamble.

Also which ammo Zol/ Zololo etc would u recommend?

Thanks
    I have always been reluctant to try desi weapons but after visiting the moonstar factory my impression of desi guns changed. All the manufacturing is being done on CNC machines and the quality of material being used is also much better than what was being used in the past. I was very impressed with their Beretta 92 copies and also the latest M9 A3 which they had copied with amazing detail. The finish was very good for a desi gun . Infact best I had seen to date.

Saif is one of the owners at Moonstar and a very helpfull person open to suggestions and new ideas. When you order your pistol tell them to lighten the trigger and polish all the trigger components. ( They do this on request only ). After this the trigger is super smooth and comparable to many high end guns. Throw on a pair of adjustable sights, orignal mag and i feel the local beretta shall be able to give high end guns a run for their money in combat style shooting ( Not Bullseye)
    I shall post a review once i acquire one .

Dont use Zololo ammo since that has accuracy problems. The new lot is called Zol and its performance is good so far .

Thanks for the update Stealth. I have been trying to get in touch wiht Moonstar as well. Unfortunately the moon star factory outlet here in Karachi does not seem to have anything to do with Moonstar, Peshawar.

The 'uncle' sitting there regaled me with stories of how his weapons have exploded and his customers have lost their fingers and how he only manufacturers for security agencies. needless to say I beat a hasty retreat. I have no idea which moonstar products are available in Karachi since other dealers also acquire moonstar products from him.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    I have always been reluctant to try desi weapons but after visiting the moonstar factory my impression of desi guns changed. All the manufacturing is being done on CNC machines and the quality of material being used is also much better than what was being used in the past. I was very impressed with their Beretta 92 copies and also the latest M9 A3 which they had copied with amazing detail. The finish was very good for a desi gun . Infact best I had seen to date.

Saif is one of the owners at Moonstar and a very helpfull person open to suggestions and new ideas. When you order your pistol tell them to lighten the trigger and polish all the trigger components. ( They do this on request only ). After this the trigger is super smooth and comparable to many high end guns. Throw on a pair of adjustable sights, orignal mag and i feel the local beretta shall be able to give high end guns a run for their money in combat style shooting ( Not Bullseye)
    I shall post a review once i acquire one .

Dont use Zololo ammo since that has accuracy problems. The new lot is called Zol and its performance is good so far .
    Thanks a lot Stealth. Much appreciated. So I might as well place my order soon for a berreta. Have you got any info on their glock 17 n 19s? I am thinking of ordering but a bit confused as in which1 first. My instinct is suggesting their berretta copy with Zol. Lol. Yeah I recently saw some vids of their factory and noticed the CNC machines etc which was of the sole reasons I kinda started expressing an interest in trying a desi gun again as an extra range piece for some fun. Plus at those prices one cant go wrong.
    Last edited by MK47; 13-12-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks for the update Stealth. I have been trying to get in touch wiht Moonstar as well. Unfortunately the moon star factory outlet here in Karachi does not seem to have anything to do with Moonstar, Peshawar.

The 'uncle' sitting there regaled me with stories of how his weapons have exploded and his customers have lost their fingers and how he only manufacturers for security agencies. needless to say I beat a hasty retreat. I have no idea which moonstar products are available in Karachi since other dealers also acquire moonstar products from him.
    Yes, that is typical of most arms manufacturers in our country to belittle their competitors by conjuring up horrific stories of exploding hands and faces. Not to say that local weapons cant explode , but Moonstar peshawar has a good reputation and have been manufacturing for quite some time so I wont worry about their products. Plus at the moonstar factory I met some arms dealers from Azad Kashmir who were procuring pistols in bulk and said they never had any quality / reliability issues with moonstar products.

Thanks a lot Stealth. Much appreciated. So I might as well place my order soon for a berreta. Have you got any info on their glock 17 n 19s? I am thinking of ordering but a bit confused as in which1 first. My instinct is suggesting their berretta copy with Zol. Lol. Yeah I recently saw some vids of their factory and noticed the CNC machines etc which was of the sole reasons I kinda started expressing an interest in trying a desi gun again as an extra range piece for some fun. Plus at those prices one cant go wrong.
    The best Glock copies to date are made by gunsmith Insaaf Shah . He works at new classic arms , Industrial estate Peshawar. His Glock 17l copy was nearly indistinguishable from the original. A few years back at the islamabad gun club, an army marksmen was trying out this same 17l at the 25m range for fun( Not for competition shooting). His reviews were very good and he had fired 1000 rnds back then.

They make all the glock models including Glock 34 with Zev custom slide with gold colored zev style barrels and also the infamous glock model " that cannot be named"

However i would strongly advise to fire a box of ammo at the factory to make sure it works because sometime they produce the occasional lemon. I was planing on getting the 17l and installing an original trigger kit on it.

Between the 2 i would recommend the moonstar berreta m9 A3. The glock might require a bit of tinkering to get it smoothed out.

I agree that at these prices one can easily practice shooting more frequently without hurting the wallet.

I have shot the Moonstar Glock 17. As have fellow members Deathrow, Sad2k and Eddie (to whom it actually belongs) baring the quality of the guide rod, the accuracy and overal fit and finish was outstanding. She shoots really sweet, she does.

A freind wanted a local 9mm as his 1st gun to get a feel of the world of firearms. I saw the moonstar glock (complete with golden barrel) and other offerings as well. but after uncle's admonishments. I kinda chickened out and opted to buy him a Zafar Alam Berreta.

Meanwhile I am thinking of ordering their 1911 .45 in SS. As per pictures she looks almost orgasmically cool, but no idea what I will get in real life though.

Thank you Stealth for sharing valuable input on Zol and desi clones. I take your assessment as expert opinion.
    Two most important days in your life:
    The day you were BORN & The day you find out WHY

I am only waiting for my newly ordered Tokarev chambered in 9mm from Moonstar - a copy of Zastava M57 / Norinco 217 with a Safety Lock.

Now if people are wondering why the Tokarev, then i really like the slim profile of TT. Although it has its disadventages - the lack of safety features but if one is to carry it without a round being chambered then it is indeed an excellent carry side arm......

Already have a Zastava EZ9 as well as Daudsons shotgun for HD........only gap left was a carry pistol .......

As far as Zol is concerend then i have mentioned earlier too that members from KPK / Islamabad can visit the Karkhana of Zol to get the variety of items being offered..... 5.45 , .45, 9mm, 9mm HP, 9mm Hydrashock ....all were being offered.....HP was at 28/ pop....Hydrashock 45/pop,

All the weapons being tested these days by Moonstar are with Zol......I will pay a second visit to the factory once i visit Peshwar for collecting my pistol......HP & HS will be tried and tested that time

Quote Originally Posted by fezan View Post
    Thank you Stealth for sharing valuable input on Zol and desi clones. I take your assessment as expert opinion.
    im no expert, atleast not as yet : ) just sharing whatever little i know , but thank you for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by fezan View Post
    I concur with the above assessment ^

@Ballixd: Do share a review once you receive the tokarev. It shall be interesting to see how it performs.

I came across a gentleman at the range just yesterday and he was trying out a local beretta 92 chambered for .30 Tokarev. it had impressive performance at 25 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by ballixd View Post
    I am only waiting for my newly ordered Tokarev chambered in 9mm from Moonstar - a copy of Zastava M57 / Norinco 217 with a Safety Lock.

Now if people are wondering why the Tokarev, then i really like the slim profile of TT. Although it has its disadventages - the lack of safety features but if one is to carry it without a round being chambered then it is indeed an excellent carry side arm......

Already have a Zastava EZ9 as well as Daudsons shotgun for HD........only gap left was a carry pistol .......

As far as Zol is concerend then i have mentioned earlier too that members from KPK / Islamabad can visit the Karkhana of Zol to get the variety of items being offered..... 5.45 , .45, 9mm, 9mm HP, 9mm Hydrashock ....all were being offered.....HP was at 28/ pop....Hydrashock 45/pop,

All the weapons being tested these days by Moonstar are with Zol......I will pay a second visit to the factory once i visit Peshwar for collecting my pistol......HP & HS will be tried and tested that time
    Unfortunately, they have stopped making .45 acp. they saif thei wil re commence within a fortnight or so. But they cannot send them outside the city. One has to go and fetch em himself (provided they are making them in the first place)

As for the .222, well we asked them to send a consignment fro 500 rounds for testing purposes. But alas after initially taking the order, the good Major (rtd.) said they are not up to standards and they will be cancelling the order.

I became sad.

@Ballixd: Do share a review once you receive the tokarev. It shall be interesting to see how it performs.

I came across a gentleman at the range just yesterday and he was trying out a local beretta 92 chambered for .30 Tokarev. it had impressive performance at 25 meters.
    .30 in a locking lug design is like a sucide i believe ......ever since i heard about the stories of Beretta's exploding on the faces of US Navy Seals, i kept my distance from the design.....thought the original design has been improved and so have our local gun smith's but still better to stay about from such a high velocity round as .30 in Berrreta

during my visit Major was not present himself, instead a Baba g , his munshi was present.....he did not mind the curous nature of me asking to see all the variants of 9mm & Shotgun shells and then only buying 100 rounds of 9mm........I will surely take photos, if allowed at the next visit
    Unfortunately, they have stopped making .45 acp. they saif thei wil re commence within a fortnight or so. But they cannot send them outside the city. One has to go and fetch em himself (provided they are making them in the first place)

As for the .222, well we asked them to send a consignment fro 500 rounds for testing purposes. But alas after initially taking the order, the good Major (rtd.) said they are not up to standards and they will be cancelling the order.

I became sad.

i am eagerly waiting to test fire this weapon myself, just few more weeks.......

secondly the piece ordered is in Chrome.....i was thinking to get the barrel extended and get the compensator installed for some range use......something i still need to communicate to Saif

Thats another thing I have been interested in. A few days ago I asked Moon Star if they could make a berretta 92fs or M9a3 in .30 cal their reply was a "No". As there are many other factories in Peshawar and I am confident one of them may do but I wouldnt know who does and how reliable they may be quality and performance wise.

Did you ask the gentleman at the range or see what make was his berretta (7.62x25) ?

Quote Originally Posted by ballixd View Post
    .30 in a locking lug design is like a sucide i believe ......ever since i heard about the stories of Beretta's exploding on the faces of US Navy Seals, i kept my distance from the design....
    @ballixd: Very Good observation. allow me to share some info with everyone

Official C.I.P. (Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes Feu Portatives) rulings
    7.6225mm Tokarev (36,259 psi)
    9x19 Luger (34100 psi )
    9x19 nato (36500 psi)

So technically the Beretta should be able to handle the pressure im guessing ?

Being a berreta 92 fan , I have been researching the slide cracking incident for a while and would like to share some interesting details which were not so well published . Everyone is free to reach their own conclusions.

A shooting demonstration was being conducted for a foreign dignitary by the navy seals. One of the slides cracked and injured the seal ( breaking his teeth and nose ) . While this was not intentional, the foreign dignitary was convinced that this was all staged to show how tough seals are ( that they are willing to have their teeth/ nose broken during practice ) lol

The seals were firing custom loads of 9mm+P+. The pressures of these loads were hovering in the 38000PSI range ( well above 9mm nato pressure 36500psi). During the us military tender , there was no requirement for the pistols to be rated way above 9mm Nato pressure and to then be torture tested suppressed using those rounds.

During training these custom +P+ rounds were being fired at the rate of approx. 1000 rounds per day through each weapon. When the slides cracked a ridiculous amount of these custom +P+ rounds had already been fired through each weapon

The Berettas were being fired suppressed . it is know that suppressor’s generate excessive back pressure on any firearm and if you combine that with a super hot load and torture test it ..well … the results speak for themselves.

Berreta still improved upon the locking lug strength even though it was not at fault.

Even though Beretta fixed the problem, the seals could not technically adopt a weapon that had failed on them so they were eager to get the glock ( which had missed the chance to bid upon the original tender) . When the glock was put through the very same military testing as the berretta had been subjected to , unbelievably the glock fell short on 1 test ( it was not disclosed which test but it was not crucial to integrity of firearm)
    Now the seals could not possibly adopt a weapon which could not even pass the berretta tests so the only option was Sig which had passed all the tests and had not been adopted by the us military for cost and political reasons.

i think the seals have during the past few years adopted the glock as well

Thats another thing I have been interested in. A few days ago I asked Moon Star if they could make a berretta 92fs or M9a3 in .30 cal their reply was a "No". As there are many other factories in Peshawar and I am confident one of them may do but I wouldnt know who does and how reliable they may be quality and performance wise.

Did you ask the gentleman at the range or see what make was his berretta (7.62x25) ?
    I did and he had no idea since his friend had sourced it for him from peshawar. Also the weapon had no manufacturer markings. I can find out who makes these and let you know .