Thread: Dry Firing -Myths vs Realities

Dry Firing -Myths vs Realities

Dear Seniors,

The more people I observe and the more articles I read, it keeps getting more confusing. How safe is it for your gun to dry fire it? The gun community really seems to be divided into two halves on this issue.

While I have seen some people who are very comfortable with dry firing their weapons, and just do that repeatedly, there are other that say that dry firing would damage the firing pin.

So what is your opinion, does dry firing damage your gun? Is a dry fire counted as a 'shot', so e.g. if your gun has a life of 15000 shots, would it include all those dry fires?

It would be great if someone can also comment specifically for 9mm DA/SA hammer pistols and shot-guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Karachite View Post
    Dear Seniors,

The more people I observe and the more articles I read, it keeps getting more confusing. How safe is it for your gun to dry fire it? The gun community really seems to be divided into two halves on this issue.

While I have seen some people who are very comfortable with dry firing their weapons, and just do that repeatedly, there are other that say that dry firing would damage the firing pin.

So what is your opinion, does dry firing damage your gun? Is a dry fire counted as a 'shot', so e.g. if your gun has a life of 15000 shots, would it include all those dry fires?

It would be great if someone can also comment specifically for 9mm DA/SA hammer pistols and shot-guns?
    AOA dear friend. Your feeling is right and same as mine. No matter how many articles or forums you visit, the final verdict always manages to elude itself from you. All you find are two groups of people; one who have successfully dryfired their weapons thousands of times and the other who were unlucky to face some kind of damage within a few dryfires. So I am not sure how easy it would be for you to separate myths from realities in this thread as well, especially for the specific gun for which you have asked this question. Because you see it also differs from weapon to weapon.

At Pakguns this topic has been discussed a lot of times. One of the most useful thread that I found is given below in which a fellow member provided a cheaper than dirt home brewed method for safely dry firing your weapon:
    http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.ph...nt-perspective
    I also saw someone suggesting to use an O-ring to cushion the hammer drop. This method of cushioning the hammer drop however relies on the slot in the slide where a cushioning device can be wedged. So if your gun's slide does not have that slot, you will have to improvise.

The best way to go is of course the snap caps. Not only do they help protect your weapon, you can also use them to practice malfunctions, mags reloading, gun handling etc.

Some other useful threads from PG are:
    http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.ph...Firing-Harmful
    http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.ph...iring-a-pistol!
    http://www.pakguns.com/showthread.php?6768-Dry-Firing!

All pistols I have are CZ75B clones, DA/SA hammer types. After all the research I figured a little bit of dry-firing might not do much harm. So I have been dry firing them. I might have dry fired each one a 100-200 times and haven't noticed any adverse effects so far.

As for your question pertaining to what counts as a shot. Since every part in a gun has its own set service life, determining "real" or "correct" life of a gun is not a straightforward matter in terms of shots. The matter gets more complex when you take in to account various operations such as dryfires/reload practice etc
    Now, a barrel of a gun is one of most important part in it. So number of live rounds that have passed through a barrel is usually what they take as reference when counting the number of shots fired from a gun or in simple terms when assessing a gun's life.
    Last edited by Mughees; 06-12-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    Regards,
    Mughees