Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Shooting chronograph-chrony

  1. #1

    Shooting chronograph-chrony

    I searched for active threads on chonographs, but didnt find so i opened a new one. I need your honest feed backs, personal experiances, price and availbility, which one is over rated which one is under rated which to buy which one not to buy and most importantly from where to buy ?
    I just need an idea about there usage and market, I am not buying one for time being but will definatly buy one in near future.
    Regards.........

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kamranwali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    506
    Salam,
    Shooting Chrony Alpha Master on its way.

    Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

  3. #3
    PakGuns Expert Panel
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    2,238
    Go with an Ehler 35 P. It is expansive but if you use one regularly this will save you money. All the friends I know have shot their Chronies 2 or 3 times and then bought the expansive one making it more expansive.
    JU

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kamranwali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    506
    Salam,
    Very true Skeeter60, sir... but the main thing is price, the oehler 35p costs around $600 in the USA, while the shooting chrony can be had at around $120. But care needs to be taken not to shoot it

    I received my chrony day before yesterday. Its the Alpha Master version. Also tested my airguns. Will post the results in a while.

    Regards.
    Last edited by Kamranwali; 29-12-2015 at 04:58 PM.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    67
    Hi

    Magnetospeed (I use one of these in load development)and Steinertsensingsystems do chronographs that cannot get shot or damaged - certainly more expensive to start with but more versatile with minimal risk of damage..........would be worth considering in my opinion and experience.

    L

  6. #6
    Senior Member Kamranwali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    506
    Salam,
    Have been playing around with the chrony with some very astonishing results.

    The 34 averaged 691 with Gamo match. ES of 18

    But...... the most mind boggling of all:

    It averaged 670 with H&N FTT with an ES of 32.

    Honestly, I was shocked. I then thought maybe it was because of the 5.53 head size, and a pretty tight fit in the barrel. I then tried some Crosman Ultra Mags(since they are tightest fit in the barrel), but got the following results.

    Averaged 712fps with the Crosman Ultra magnums. Extreme spread of 12, so pretty tight.

    So, I did some research. I found out the following

    1. The advertised weight of the FTT is not correct. Reported weights vary from 14.80 grains to 15.60 grains.
    2. Earlier FTT tins were usually over 15.5 grains

    Ok, so maybe I got an old tin. But I am now searching for a digital scale before I open a couple of new tins that I just recently got. Hopefully, will get some meaningful results.

    Last, but not least, I now have new respect for the term "Ignorance is Bliss"

    Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Kamranwali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    506
    Salam All,
    A quick update.

    1st about the FTT's...well the tin that I had, whose results are given in the previous post, was marked 25 joules. That was probably a bad batch or something, but the newer tins that are marked 16 joules are more consistent, and the unexpected flyers are gone.

    Its been a few days that I have been thinking of detuning the D34 to a lower power level to reduce its hold sensitivity, since I also own a D52 if I need extra power. I thought that since I have a brand new spare spring, why not experiment with the current spring, maybe cut a few coils off, to bring the power down. So I got my log book out, added the pellets shot after I installed the new spring and lube tuned the gun. It added to a total of 2443 pellets. I then proceeded to chrono the gun so that I have starting data before any mods. The test was done with pellets straight out of a brand new box. The results are unbelievable. I was first shocked and then extremely happy.

    Pellets : H&N FTT 14.66

    1.680.9
    2.682.4
    3.683.7
    4.682.6
    5.681
    6.682.5
    7.683.4
    8.681.3
    9.683.3
    10.682.6

    Low 680.9
    High 683.7
    Ave 682.4
    Extreme Spread 2.77
    Standard Deviation 1

    In all honesty, even regulated pcps dont have a shot string that's so tight.
    Now, I'm having second thoughts about messing with it at all. Lets see.

    Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Kamranwali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    506
    Salam,
    Shooting chrony alpha master, bought from pyramyd air.

    Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kamranwali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    506
    Salam All,
    Got it for $125. Now Pyramyd Air sells them for $150.

    Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

  10. #10
    Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    16,266
    Can you send a link sir, we have to borrow cronies from people when we field test local ammo. It would be great to get hold of a something on our own
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

  11. #11
    Supreme Member Deathrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    1,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamranwali View Post
    Salam All,
    A quick update.

    1st about the FTT's...well the tin that I had, whose results are given in the previous post, was marked 25 joules. That was probably a bad batch or something, but the newer tins that are marked 16 joules are more consistent, and the unexpected flyers are gone.

    Its been a few days that I have been thinking of detuning the D34 to a lower power level to reduce its hold sensitivity, since I also own a D52 if I need extra power. I thought that since I have a brand new spare spring, why not experiment with the current spring, maybe cut a few coils off, to bring the power down. So I got my log book out, added the pellets shot after I installed the new spring and lube tuned the gun. It added to a total of 2443 pellets. I then proceeded to chrono the gun so that I have starting data before any mods. The test was done with pellets straight out of a brand new box. The results are unbelievable. I was first shocked and then extremely happy.

    Pellets : H&N FTT 14.66

    1.680.9
    2.682.4
    3.683.7
    4.682.6
    5.681
    6.682.5
    7.683.4
    8.681.3
    9.683.3
    10.682.6

    Low 680.9
    High 683.7
    Ave 682.4
    Extreme Spread 2.77
    Standard Deviation 1

    In all honesty, even regulated pcps dont have a shot string that's so tight.
    Now, I'm having second thoughts about messing with it at all. Lets see.

    Regards.
    Just saw this post, I have a Diana mod34 too. After basic lube tuning the weapon, I also checked the velocities on chrony.... After about 1500 shots or so it was shooting at around 720 fps and the spread was pretty much the same as what you have mentioned... I too am facing similar kind of observations as mentioned by you. The rifle is capable of great accuracy, just extremely hold sensitive... I have shot excellent and evenly pathetic shots on the same day using the same pellets. I have been experimenting with the FTTs and Crossman

    Can you email me your contact details at deathrow.pg@gmail.com, Perhaps we can share some valuable information with each other to get the best out of this airgun.
    "There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men."

  12. #12
    Senior Member Kamranwali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Desires View Post
    Can you send a link sir, we have to borrow cronies from people when we field test local ammo. It would be great to get hold of a something on our own
    Salam ED Bro,
    Hope you're well. Here's the link, but i dont know whether they'll ship to Pakistan, and what the custom charges will be...since a friend of mine got it for me when he was visiting Pakistan.

    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Shooti...graph_Red/1335

    @Deathrow.... email sent bro.


    Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

  13. #13
    Member Extraordinaire ajmal virk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    HafizAbad/Lahore
    Posts
    3,478
    ED it looks you want to check your prestigious 223

  14. #14
    Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    16,266
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmal virk View Post
    ED it looks you want to check your prestigious 223
    Naah.. more like local ammo to be precise
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

  15. #15
    Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    16,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamranwali View Post
    Salam ED Bro,
    Hope you're well. Here's the link, but i dont know whether they'll ship to Pakistan, and what the custom charges will be...since a friend of mine got it for me when he was visiting Pakistan.

    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Shooti...graph_Red/1335

    @Deathrow.... email sent bro.


    Regards.
    Thanks Kamranwali, I really love the particular model that you acquired. Ali express does have a chrony on their site as well. But I am not sure as to the accuracy of the product.
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

  16. #16
    Senior Member Kamranwali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    506
    Salam All,
    ED bro, hope you're well. Yes the aliexpress was an option....but I was also apprehensive of the accuraccy. Even though all Chronys are made in China, I guess in a market like the USA they have some sort of QC. The other thing was warranty, which in both cases, China or USA, are the same, the shipping alone would make such an endeavour pretty expensive...but I have heard good things abt the company....that they have gone beyond normal to help international customers out....and they will usually send you replacement parts.
    Also, I got the specific model so that I dont shoot the display by mistake ....even then care needs to be taken so as not to shoot the first sensor.

    Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

  17. #17
    Member Emeritus Enigmatic Desires's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    16,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamranwali View Post
    Salam All,
    ED bro, hope you're well. Yes the aliexpress was an option....but I was also apprehensive of the accuraccy. Even though all Chronys are made in China, I guess in a market like the USA they have some sort of QC. The other thing was warranty, which in both cases, China or USA, are the same, the shipping alone would make such an endeavour pretty expensive...but I have heard good things abt the company....that they have gone beyond normal to help international customers out....and they will usually send you replacement parts.
    Also, I got the specific model so that I dont shoot the display by mistake ....even then care needs to be taken so as not to shoot the first sensor.

    Regards.
    Thanks for the concern Kamralwali, I admit that ALiexpress is a bit of a gamble since I never recieved the laser for my 9mm or the card sharp credit card knoves. The sellers begged me not to open the dispute and htey will make good on thier commitments.

    They lied.

    So yes I am apprehensive as well. But when we evaluate differnt types of local brand ammo a jeweler's scale and a chrony are invaluable tools. Spaicaly now that going local seems to be the only way to keep our habits functional
    "Keep a complete control over your Temper and Anger because I never found anything more beneficial at the end and producing more good results then such a control" Hazrat Ali (A.S) tz.enigmatic@gmail.com

  18. #18
    Senior Member Kamranwali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    506
    Salam All,
    Ok so abt a month ago, I finally gathered some courage and thought that the spring is near its expected life cycle, so opened the D34. To my surprise, the spring was broken again, at the trigger end. The flat ground spring end was broken about 1.5 coils on the spring guide end, and the piece had wound itself into the spring. I then proceeded to heat the last two coils on the broken end, and pressed them on a flat piece of marble. I repeated the process and used long nosed pliers to carefully press evenly, so that its as flat as can be. I then lubed the spring lightly, and installed it with the compressed end on the the piston side, so if any breakage may occur, it wont damage the spring guide, which is a delrin plastic material. I then closed the gun up, and started shooting..... right off the bat, I noticed that the recoil is much softer, and the shot cycle much more tame. I continued to use the gun for a couple of hundred pellets, before chronying it. The result was as consistent as the data I provided earlier. Very low extreme spread and standard deviaton.....but the velocity came down a bit. It now shoots an average of 666 fps with FTTs, with all shots varying between 665 and 667 fps. That equates to 14.5 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle.

    Now coming to the good part, the gun is much much smoother to shoot. Its not as hold sensitive as before, and minor changes in hold do not affect POI as much as it used to, but still requires the Artillery hold. Follow through has become extremely manageable, and I am on target even after the shot connects. The results are AWESOME. I am consistantly shooting half inch groups at 25 yards. Bottle caps, which happen to be my targets of choice, stand no chance. And I can usually hit them repeatedly on the same spot again and again.

    Few things I have noted. The springs in diana rifles are not so good. And I need to get my hands on some custom springs. Also, I think that these guns are a little over sprung. In fact, I might just open her up again and compress another coil, I want the power to be between 13 and 14 fpe. I am sure that it'll make it even smoother.

    Regards.
    Last edited by Kamranwali; 12-09-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

  19. #19
    Expert Member Jibz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    1,249
    My dear Wali
    I remember that it was either your first phone call or may be second when you asked me about a Karigar who could make that Guide Rod for your airgun and there I had that slight indication that you are a DIY kind of guy who would enthusiastically leap in to internals of a machine without a hint of hesitation of any kind. I am glad that I was not wrong; good job and keep up that enthusiasm to get things done on your own. Having said that, allow me to emphasize upon the importance of seeking advice whenever you feel that the stakes may be a little higher than foreseen. Good luck and godspeed.

    Cheers
    “Bottom Line; If We’re Gonna Have Fun, There Better Be A Lot Of Ammo!”


  20. #20
    Senior Member Kamranwali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Peshawar
    Posts
    506
    Salams,
    Thanks a bunch Jibz bro for the encouragement, it means a lot.

    Yes I remember the phone call, but the our first conversation was long before that, when you guided me to qaari bilal's shop. This was when I was buying an airgun after long long time, the D34 that I currently own.
    And of course, as I have always consulted you first, will continue to do so whenever I'm in over my head

    You have always been a constant source of guidance, and motivation. You are, and will be, one of the most helpful people around....and I am glad and thankful to Pakguns that made our friendship possible.

    Stay blessed, Jibs bhai.

    Regards.
    Guns will make us powerful; butter will only make us fat. Hermann Wilhelm Goering.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •